Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

cutestar thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Interviews : Lollywood : Meera
Interviews : Lollywood : Meera : The cinnamon queen of local screen She's been ruling the Lollywood roost for sometime now, having proved herself with some great performances and prestigious awards. Now she's snatched the carpet from under her competitor's feet once again, with a spectacular performance in Ajab Gul's Khoey ho turn kahan.
Here Meera tells all about how she sailed through the screen with a role as tough as hers. And bares her views on the industry, her coveted guest list and future spouse qualities.

Q: How do you feel after the success of Khoey Ho Tum Kahan?

A: It is all by the grace of God and the love of my viewers who appreciated my role. I was not expecting all this.

Q: How did you manage enact the role of a psychotic girl?

A: I didn't get the script before performing so I had to think on the spot as to how to go about the role. But I managed the best I could, thanks to the director who helped a lot.

Q: What makes a good actor?

A: Acute observation, good judgement and above all travelling is the prime source of education and learning. I study faces of people to know their inner feelings. This has helped me become a good performer. But my inner belief is that an actor is born not made.

Q. How much contribution is put in by a Director to polish an artist?

A. A lot. It is only the director who can bring out the inner qualities of can bring out the inner qualities of an artist. Nobody knew how much potential I had until Samina (Peerzada) and (Ajab) Gul realized it and cast me accordingly.

Q: How much are you in favor of showing flesh on screen?

A: Sometimes it is the demand of the scene, which is fine by me but 1 am against unnecessary exposure.

Q: Are you selective about your rotes?

A: I am more concerned with quality then quantity. My viewers belong to an educated class so I feel it is my duty not to disappoint them.

Q. Are you planning to launch your own film at some point?

A. No! I'm not a rich businesswoman. My only job is to perform. However, I am concerned about the present situation where mostly illiterate producers have control over Lollywood. It is the need of the day to produce films like Tere Piyar Mein and Khoey Ho Tum Kahan, if we want to give a good name to our film industry.

Q. In such a situation are you in favor of co-production?

A. Yes, very much. It will help a lot for our technicians and artists to learn from others to improve quality. India can be a major market for us. I believe that if we cannot compete with the Indians then we should join them otherwise they will destroy us.

Q. What kind of a role do you wish to perform?

A. Comedy, "Aur Pagal Larki Ka" rote.

Q. Suppose you are going to hold a party: which five personalities of the world you will invite?

A. (Thinking hard) That would have to be Bill Clinton, Elizabeth Taylor, Samina Peerzada, Ajab Gul and Yash Chopra.

Q. What is your true nature?

A. I'm very romantic. Nature in all its forms attracts me—flowers, mountains, beaches and waterfalls fascinate me! My favorite places in the world are Maldives and Venice.

Q. Your view about life?

A. The same as Buddha's, 'Life is not bed of roses and there is no university like adversity'.

Q. Where do you prefer to spend your holidays?

A. In London or America.

Q. what kind of people attract you?

A. Straightforward, educated people who have a love for art.

Q. Any wish in life?

A. I wish I were born in Hollywood. Pakistan has a suffocating environment in the field of art.

Q. The characteristics you would look for in your future husband?

A. He should be loving—and wealthy too.

source=lollybolly

Edited by cutestar - 17 years ago
cutestar thumbnail

Spotlight: Zoheb Hasan

He was Pakistan's pop icon together with his sister, the legendary Nazia Hasan back in the eighties. They had the moves, the tunes, and the Hasan siblings were a powerhouse of pop music. After Nazia's sad demise in 1997, Zoheb shut himself away from music. But now, he's all set to taste the Pakistani music scene with a new album slated for release soon. TelePk.com caught up with Zoheb to find out more…

TelePk.com: Your album was supposed to release in May – why the delay?
Zoheb Hasan: Actually, Kismet is also a play airing on a local channel these days and they were waiting for it to air. Now, Kismet will release by the end of June.

TelePk.com: Sohail Javed was directing the first music video. Then it was heard that Jalal was doing it. Who is making the video?
ZH: Basically, we're looking at a couple of storyboards but nothing is final yet. It all depends on Fire Records (my record label). It's their decision. I'm just waiting. But we will release two proper music videos.

TelePk.com: How would you say your album is different?
ZH: The main aspect of my album is melody. Back in the eighties with Nazia and even today, I have concentrated on melodies more than anything else. If you look at it, a revival of melodies in the west is taking place with Coldplay and U2 going back to traditional tunes. A lot of my songs are featured in the play and so far the response from the audience has been quite good.

TelePk.com: Is this the first time that you're acting in a play?
ZH: Yes.

TelePk.com: And how did this play exactly happen?
ZH: My wife heard the album and she's also a writer. Kismet is a very visual album. She asked me if she could write a story on the lines of the album. I said sure. She wrote it, we pitched it to a channel and we got a great response. So, we did the play.

TelePk.com: Why acting?
ZH: One should keep on doing something different. I had already done music videos. This was new and exciting.

TelePk.com: How was the entire experience?
ZH: A music video is maximum 4–5 minutes whereas in a play you keep coming back in every episode. In a video, you play to the camera but in a drama, you play away from the camera. It was hard at first but overall the entire experience was great. We had a great director and everyone – Iman Ali, Aijazz Aslam, Tooba – knew that it was my first time so they were professional.

TelePk.com: Does this mean that you'll also venture into acting?
ZH: Being a musician and actor is quite different. It's a completely different mindset when acting. I've got many offers from here as well as from India. But I don't think that I will take up acting as a career. If a musical play comes my way, I might do it but not serials.

TelePk.com: Apart from the release of Kismet, is there anything else that you're working on?
ZH: I'm making a telefilm on my sister, Nazia. It'll be shot on 35mm just like a film and will be a collaborative effort between India and Pakistan. Currently, we're looking for teenagers who can play Nazia and me. It'll be Nazia's life in its various stages. Her life in Pakistan, visits to India, her work with UN in New York as well as her life in London. I will be directing the soundtrack and producing the telefilm.

TelePk.com: After the album release, will you do concerts?
ZH: It's too soon to say anything. It all depends on public response. But yes, I would like to do some shows but right now, it's early to say.

TelePk.com: What's your take on the current music scene in Pakistan?
ZH: I think the coming up of so much new talent is very good. No one is indispensable. We have seen big bands have unsuccessful albums so the audience is well aware. It's a volatile industry but do your best and that's it.
cutestar thumbnail

Spotlight: Nida Pasha
Whether you know her as Nida Pasha or Nida Yasir, there is no denying that this young starlet has made a name for herself not because of her illustrious show biz background but by dint of her own talent and hard work. TelePk.com chats with her about her transition from a budding TV artiste during her carefree days as a single woman to her present position of celebrity married to a colleague.

Do you feel being Kazim Pasha's daughter facilitated you in joining the acting profession?
I hardly think so. I had never thought of acting, but my friends were after me that I am photogenic and should try my luck in plays. So, I finally took part in one directed by my father, in which I had just two scenes where all I was expected to do was cry. My father was quite impressed with my crying abilities, but didn't want me to pursue a career at that point as I was still studying. After I graduated he caste me in another play, 'Daji' but after that he gave me no more breaks as he felt people would think he was promoting me. He wanted me to make a name for myself on my own merit, without his support. It did bother me initially, especially because I know he gives other girls such opportunities that they become famous after a serial, where as I had to make it on my own. So it was more a disadvantage having parents in showbiz. It was only after I worked with Yasir Akhter in 'Mera ghar aik whirlpool' that I gained recognition and after that got a lot of offers for commercials and dramas. I started compering and modeling too, after that.

Did you catwalk modeling as well?
I did a few shows-nothing spectacular-but frankly am not fond of modeling. I feel you do nothing in it except expose yourself. I was given a lot of offers by English magazines for shoots but since my father wouldn't allow me to wear sleeveless, there were hardly any outfits that I could model. So, I only modeled for those magazines in which I was allowed to dress respectably, without exposing any part of any anatomy.

Had a secret romance been brewing while you and Yasir starred together in plays?
Actually, no. Yasir and I had never worked together almost till the time he proposed to me, and the one serial in which we had both starred, our entries were such that when I would be on location he was not required, and when he was on location, I was not in the scene. Then, prior to our engagement, we worked together in one play, which was funnily enough, called 'Mohabbat', and Yasir apparently felt I'd be the right wife for him, so proposed. I had never thought of him as a prospective husband, though, and had left decisions about my marriage on my parents.

How did Yasir propose to you?
It was highly unromantic! There was no ambience or formalities. He was dropping me home one day after work, and very casually mentioned that he'd be sending his parents over. I was puzzled, and when I asked why, he informed me that they'd be bringing a 'rishta'. I had no whiff of it and was really shocked.

What was your family's reaction?
My parents are very cool and I have a relaxed relationship with them. But, I refused Yasir initially, because I felt we hailed from two different cultural backgrounds-my father is Urdu speaking and Yasir's family is Sindhi. I had been brought up in a liberal atmosphere and thought I might not be able to adjust to their family. So, I told Yasir we'd continue to be colleagues and friends, but he should forget about anything beyond that. However, Yasir was not comfortable acting with me after that and strangely enough, I began to develop feelings for him. Also, Yasir's mother called and assured my family that we didn't need to fear about cultural differences, as they were more similar in their ways than we thought.

My father made enquiries about them and after satisfying himself, agreed to the engagement. We got married after two years.

How come the long gap?
Yasir's brother got married first, and in any case we wanted to get to know each other and our families better, so had decided to wait for a year. But later, Yasir's father passed away so we extended the date further.

Do you feel there's any change in your relationship since you got married?
Isn't there always? I was mentally prepared that he would change once we were married. All men do. During the days we were engaged, if I'd call him up to tell him that I was free and ask him where he was, even if he was at the other end of the earth, he'd come to pick me up. Now, I wouldn't dare call, for I know he'll never have the time! It's nothing unusual-men become more relaxed after marriage and invariably begin to take their wives for granted.

Why is it that you aren't acting opposite each other any more?
Well, from the time we got engaged, directors started taking it for granted that we would work together so would cast us together in their plays. But after we got married, Yasir got fed-up of the monotony and was irritated by the fact that he had to land up with me in every play, although I was quite happy to be working with my husband. He told everyone that that if they want to cast either of us it would have to be without the other.

Doesn't he mind you acting with other heroes?
He doesn't say anything, but one thing is for sure- he doesn't watch my plays with other heroes these days. Previously, he used to watch them and offer criticism, but not any more. He would be only too happy if I quit work, and he could take care of me! But, I feel it is essential for a woman to work – it gives them an incentive to be groomed and well maintained. I do feel though, that I got married at a time when my career was just growing and I had made a name for myself and could have gone places. Marriage, however, restricts you because you become time bound and can't avail of all the opportunities that come your way to prove your mettle.

So how are you coping with maintaining a career and yet not setting your husband's backup?
I've taken to compering shows. It's less time consuming and brings you recognition. You remain in the loop, and I feel people become more familiar with your name than when you are acting, for people remember you more by the name of the character you are portraying than by your own.

But, acting is my first love, and my son is a little older and my responsibilities become less, I'll go back to plays.

What are you compering currently?
It's an interesting programme for Hum TV, called 'Angan'. It's a home show designed for women in which there are four segments, including one in which household tips are provided
wini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Interview with Deepak Perwani
By Irim Ahmed ( [email protected] )

Deepak Perwani, the first designer to make a mark in for male fashion in the Pakistani fashion industry has got it all today. Winner of the Lux and Indus Style Awards, he is diversifying now into bridal wear due to demand. Read below to find out about his fashion icons and more.

Who is Deepak Perwani? How would you describe your style?

I am individual, stylish, mad and a lot of fun to be with.

What has been the greatest challenge so far in your career?

To make fat women look thin.

What is your idea of elegance?

Audrey Hepburn & Princess Diana

What makes a fashion statement?

Style, creativity and a zest for new ideology.

Do you feel that Pakistan enjoys a very favorable image in the world of fashion?

I think Pakistan enjoys a very favorable image, in the world of eastern fashion.

What is the thought process when designing and creating your pieces? How do you develop it?

Ideas can be taken from anywhere, a color, a book, a smile, and than it depends on how I filter it.

How do you hope others perceive your line?

Edgy and Very cool.

What is the biggest myth & reality about the fashion industry?

That we always have a good time but the reality is we work very hard.

Should people notice the beauty of the women or of the clothes she's wearing?

Both- it is a symbiotic relationship.

Are channels like style duniya and fashion TV Pakistan. Helping boost the fashion industry & creating awareness within the society?

Yes they are. Any channel is awareness.

What are the best & worst aspects of being a fashion designer?

That no one is ever happy with you. You constantly have to live up to the expectations of your clients, whether they understand fashion or not.

Which models are your personal favorites?

Amna Haq, Neha & Iraj

Why have you been doing more fashion shows internationally rather than in Pakistan ?

I have already done enough of them in Pakistan and now I want to take my label abroad.

Of the six design elements Line, Shape, Form, Texture, Pattern & Color. Which is the strongest?

Pattern.

Any trends you dislike about the fashion industry in the east or west?

None.

Which are the challenges facing a designer when targeting foreign markets?

He/She has to understand the word fashion and not east / west.

Is there any formula to succeed & survive in the fashion industry?

Yes. Make what the client wants.

In the west cloths are designed on seasonal changes. Why not in Pakistan ?

Well, we do prt, so the design changes accordingly.

Why did the fashion council divide into two- Karachi & Lahore? Don't you think it would've been better if they would've worked together as one?

The council got divided because of designer's egos. It definitely would have been better if we worked together.

Who do you consider are some of the great designers in the industry?

Faiza Samee & Rizwan Bayg.

Why are the designers these days more focused on quantity rather than quality?

I guess on quantity due to survival and money.

How was the acting experience for you? Plans for further acting?

It was great, I had fun and people appreciated my acting. For future... well. If I have the time and if interesting projects come along, I will act.

After so many years of being in the fashion industry, why did you decide to create bridal dresses now?

The demand! I was never a mainstream bridal designer. I am all about prt. But over the years my clients have forced me to do their bridal wear so I said why not.

You've received many prestigious awards (Lux, Indus ). What else does Deepak Perwani want?

Deepak Perwani doesn't want awards; he wants appreciation - that's all.

Whom would you class as a fashion icon?

Sahibzada Yaqoob Khan & Madonna

Any message for amateur designers who want to break in?

Work hard and you will make it, at the end it's all about your design philosophy.

Edited by wini - 17 years ago
cutestar thumbnail

Spotlight: Iffat Umar

Unlike most models in their prime — for whom the drive for fame and fortune is their sole mission in life — Iffat Umar chose to settle down and raise a family at the peak of her career. She is perhaps, by definition, an exception to the rule and luck has played a pivotal part in her long-standing success.

Satisfied with the decisions she took in her life, Iffat now looks back upon her experiences and says, "I have hardly felt that modelling is something big, and neither is it (an avenue) like Hollywood where you can become a media god over night. Ours is a very limited and small industry where an artiste's foremost objective is to ensure his bread and butter and to maintain certain living standards. And I think I managed this successfully and with dignity, and that's what I cherish the most. I only did what I was comfortable with and refused the rest."

Testing her hands at production, she made her debut with Iffat's Fashion Magazine that was co-hosted by Hasan Shehryar Yasin followed by Gurus and Divas. In Zikar Us Pariwash Ka, she experimented with old film songs shot on modern heroines. The programme went on to be rated as 'the pride of PTV'. In her final project — a 76-episode magazine show called Sunehre Log — she interviewed actresses from Pakistan as well as neighbouring India.

More often than not, models are considered poor actors, but Iffat's recent nomination for the best actress category for her role in Bano Ko Pehchano in the upcoming fifth Lux Style Awards indicates otherwise. "Fortunately, I realized the difference between acting and modelling at quite an early stage, whereas many models realise this when they have nothing left to lose. In acting, you have to drag out your ego to delve into the character you are given to portray.

"For instance, if a situation requires you to be a village girl, you must think like one, leaving the model inside you far behind. I started acting during the days I was busy as a model, but modelling doesn't take up more than a day whereas acting demands a lion's share of your time. I took up very few projects in those days as I was studying as well."

Doing a sitcom like Family Front was, for Iffat, a first attempt at stand-up comedy. "Both Saba Pervaiz and Wasim Abbas are good friends, and we used to get together twice a week for rehearsals and recordings. Those were fun-filled moments but after doing Family Front, I realised how tough doing comedy really is. Making people laugh is like taking the well to the horse. Saba has perfect timing sense and she excelled in it. If I had contributed anything worth watching, it was only due to the fact that I was getting a good response," says Iffat.

Acting, she admits, gave her a new lease of life and today she has carved her own niche among the host of the most sought after faces on television. Unlike her modelling career, she didn't confine herself to particular character roles either. Presently, she is working with whosoever has a good script, a good team and a role providing her with ample margin for performance. "I have always been complimented for my acting, even for my first play Nangay Paon, wherein I felt I wasn't good enough. But I have been receiving a really good response from my audience, even going as far as calling me the next Roohi Bano. I feel honoured to be compared to a living legend like her who is, I personally feel, incomparable and has no substitute," she says.

'I have no qualms in saying that fashion shows should not be held in Pakistan. Such events are meant for buyers and clients but they never turn up here. We are simply left with an audience which is nothing less than mere spectators making passes at girls and ogling at them. They hardly know who the designer is, what the product line is, what the event is meant for or what the theme of the show is,' says Iffat Umar

Talking about an extremely catty entertainment industry like ours where it has always been a dog-eat-dog scenario, Iffat considers herself quite lucky that she never suffered from shifting loyalties and that her true friends of "those days" are still there for her. Does she miss the days when only her name used to be enough to draw huge cash flows for her sponsors? "You remember such things when you get isolated or change your field. But I'm still there and I still have people around me who are my best friends. So I hardly feel any difference. I very much see myself as the part of the business even today," she says.

Did modelling help her with acting in any way? "No," comes a flat reply. It was, in fact, the other way round. "It was actually acting that helped me a lot in modelling. I have recently signed on for a commercial in which I play an expecting mother's role. It was offered to me because the directors thought I could do justice to it. It's a great feeling to see that people don't just take me as a good face but as a good artiste as well who can give a life to a character," she says.

Iffat says she considers veteran TV personality Ayub Khawar her mentor who helped her discover her latent skills as a performer. "He was the one director who taught me the basics and helped me understand that acting is not about looking good; it's about how to react in a certain situation."

Surprisingly, doing ramps was never appealing to her and she clearly expresses her antipathy, "I was very young at that time, and today I remember it with some regret. I have no qualms in saying that fashion shows should not be held in Pakistan. Such events are meant for buyers and clients but they never turn up here. We are simply left with an audience which is nothing less than mere spectators making passes at girls and ogling at them. They hardly know who the designer is, what the product line is, what the event is meant for or what the theme of the show is. They are only interested in the models and this entire picture is very unprofessional."

Doesn't she regret pulling herself out of the league of models in her prime, while her contemporaries who started with her are still in the limelight? "I know Iraj and Vinnie really well," she says, "and they are not what I used to be like. When I was 16, marriage was my ultimate destination and perhaps the only thing on my mind. I wanted to settle down.

"They, however, are professionals and they value their careers. I happen to be a typical girl-next-door type and I had to get married, so I refrained from over-exposing and fashion shoots. I had to keep in mind that I have to get married, so I should not taint my image."

And now that she is married, has she ever thought about returning to the fray? "Umar, my husband, doesn't want me to model anymore, and it has been 10 years now since I left it all."

Iffat makes a passing comment on the present modelling scene, saying, "We have progressed a lot, technically. The ideas are good and designers are working painstakingly to meet international standards. The only thing I find missing here is true talent. The wave which brought in Iraj, Vinnie, Aaminah (Haq) and me has, subsided and despite having so many facilities, new girls having the makings of fashion divas have stopped emerging after Iman (Ali).

"I remember we used to invest a lot of hard work and time. We often had to dress up inside covered cars and starve for hours in the absence of quality food. But today, there are so many facilities for outdoor shoots and yet, a shortage of true talent."

And how does she find working in media after starting a family? "Now that I have become a mother, my daughter is my real asset. Umar is a confident, intelligent individual who can aptly deal with a media woman's fame, success and admirers. He lets me do what I enjoy but I, too, know my limits," says Iffat Rahim.

Edited by cutestar - 17 years ago
wini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Shafqat Amanat Ali Khan on a Bollywood signing spree

'Mitwa', Shafqat Amanat Ali Khan is enjoying immense popularity amongst filmmakers and music directors in India. Even though, Shafqat did not win any award for Best Playback singing, he did manage to get himself nominated in most award ceremonies in India. He also enjoyed tremendous critical acclaim for his track, 'Yeh Hosla' in the Nagesh Kukunoor's film, Dor. And now, Shafqat has signed on for 8 tracks in various film and non-film projects. Speaking to Instep, he said, "I went to India recently to record one track but ended up signing on for 8 numbers. They're all quite different. There is one song that has a hip-hopish feel, another is on the rock side, one number is a typical Hindi film love ballad and these are just some examples." Shafqat was quite tight-lipped about his projects to keep the element of surprise. But he did tell us that the music directors include names like Salim-Sulaiman (Kaal), Pritam (Dhoom fame) and Sajid-Wajid (pop music duo). So far, the confirmed bit of information is that for the Pritam film, one leading name includes that of director Kunal Kapoor. More good news is that Shafqat will also do some numbers with A.R. Rahman. Currently, a legal draft has been prepared and once it's signed on by both parties (Shafqat and Rahman), the projects will start rolling. Imagine what A.R.Rahman could do with a vocalist like Shafqat. This will be a must-hear.

Edited by wini - 17 years ago
CRYSTALOOKS thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Aaqib Javed

Although Aquib Javed joined the national cricket team in 1988, his finest hour came in the Sharjah Cup in 1991 when he took the Indians to task. For a paltry 37 runs, he stalked seven Indian players. From then on there was no looking back for him as he terrorized all the leading batsmen of his times with his calculated fast bowling.

Born in Sheikhupura, Aquib's father was a lover of cricket and encouraged his son to play the game. Aquib played cricket at school and slowly cricket became a passion. Later he joined Islamia College, Civil Lines, Lahore, where he devoted all his energies towards this game. Lady luck smiled on him as he made it to the Under 19 cricket team.

Narrating the story about his entry into the Under 19 team, Aquib states, "I attended a bowling camp at Qaddafi stadium where Wasim Raja was inspecting the budding bowlers. Almost three thousands young bowlers were there to try their luck. Fortunately, Wasim Raja recommended me. Later I also participated in the Under 19 World Cup in Australia in 1988. Then Muddasir Nazar saw me bowling and he told Imran Khan about me. Imran liked my bowling action and it was his trust in me that helped me to join the national team in 1988."

Thus commenced a brilliant career of Aquib that ended, perhaps too early, in 1998 because he still had a lot of spark left in him. He goes on toe candidly disclose the causes that led to his ouster, "I left the cricketing world due to the nasty malaise of match fixing. I know that I could play for almost five more years. But my approach towards game has always been very positive and I played cricket on certain principles. I left the arena because I did not want to tarnish my clean image."

After retirement, he coached the junior players of the Under 19, helping them to pocket the World Cup trophy. He is also the one who laid down the foundations of Regional Cricket System at the domestic level so that new players could avail more chances to enter the national side.

He likes to read sports-related magazines. The columns of Zaheer Abbas and Islahuddin also give him food for thought. Heavyweights poets like Iqbal and Faiz too appeal to him. But the one book that has changed his way of thinking is Friendship With God by Neil Donalds.

Analysing this book he says, "It has changed my life to the hilt. It tells us that God can be your friend. You do not need to fear him. I have learnt a vital lesson from the book that God loves those who support His system. So one must live and let others live peacefully. I read this book off and on. After going through the book life seems to be very easy and happy."

Aquib went to a cinema with his chums when he was in Class Seven to watch Qurbani in Sheikhupura. When he moved to Lahore, he thronged Plaza and Alfalah cinema halls to watch English flicks. Being a part of the national team, he travelled extensively and watched films in theatres in India, Australia, England and many other countries.

As you corner him to name his favourite movie, he chooses My Best Friends Wedding without second thoughts. He also hastens to add that Julia Roberts is his favourite actress. "The film tallies completely with my philosophy. So I simply adore it," he justifies his choice.

Of other movies, he gives credit to Black, Rang de Basanti, Paheli, Devdas and Sholay. Like any other film buff, he too is all praises for top guns like Amitabh, Om Puri, Naseedruddin Shah and Nana Patekar.

He watched a movie in an Indian cinema recently and says, "I watched Rang de Basanti in India and found that their cinemas are neat and the atmosphere is so civilized. There were more females in the hall as compared to males."

He calls for a change in our cinema culture and opines that at present our industry is catering to the needs of the lower middle class by churning out trashy films. In order to produce good movies we need to have clean cinema halls first to allure the educated class. Joint productions with India, in his opinion, must be initiated in order to benefit from each other's expertise. To judge the worth of any society one must watch its sports and films, he declares.

As for the Lollywood movies, Aquib only mentions Syed Noor's Choorian with some admiration.

His taste in music has changed a lot over the years. His father used to listen to the likes of Talat Mahmood and Saigol. The atmosphere at home provided him a chance to develop a liking for all types of music. The maestros Rafi, Kishore, Lata, Asha Bhosle, Nusrat Fateh Ali, Mehdi Hasan, Fareeda Khanum and Jagjit Singh, stir his heart with their melodious voices. Abrar, Jawad and Atif Aslam are his choice from the pop music scene.

"I don't like Junoon at all. In my view they are a bit 'over'," he states. Similarly, he does not approve of Madam Noorjehan at all. These days, Nusrat Fateh Ali is his companion when he drives his car. His philosophic Tum Aik Gorakh Dhandha Ho puts Aquib in trance.

To while away his leisure hours, he watches ESPN, National Geographic, etc. The emergence of private channels thrills him and he terms it a good omen. "Over the years, PTV has failed to adapt to modern times.

I cannot tolerate some of the stuff that is aired on PTV. The emergence of new channels is great for the viewers. Private channels are not afraid of anyone so they show you the real picture. On the other hand, the officials of PTV are only doing their mundane jobs," says Aquib fervently.

He does not have any regrets in life and feels that apart from hard work, luck does count a lot. One could not help but ask him what he would have been had he not been a cricketer?

"I wanted to become a cricketer only. I used to practice almost ten hours a day. So I never thought about becoming anything other than a cricketer," pat comes the reply.

CRYSTALOOKS thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Natasha Hussain

Natasha Hussain indulges in reading purely for pleasure. Confessing to be a slow and choosy reader, Natty, as the ace model is known by her friends and all, likes to snug up on the sofa with a nice book and become totally absorbed in the story. And which is why you will not find just any book in her hands — no, the heavy, philosophical stuff is just not for her.

Natty favours love stories and epic romances such as The Far Pavilions, The Thorn Birds, 79 Park Avenue and If Tomorrow Comes. Regretting the fact that she doesn't get around to do much reading these days, as is the case with everyone else today, Natty says she has been an avid reader since childhood. She has been an Enid Blyton fan and her large collection of Blyton books like the Famous Five, Secret Seven series and others are in a bookshelf in her father's house.

"I would save my pocket money to buy the books of Enid Blyton and would not stop until I had bought all that were available. These books are still in my father's house and my daughter has started reading them. Whenever she goes there, she brings back a few to read. It feels nice to see her enjoying what I used to enjoy once."

Danielle Steel is another favourite writer of this model-cum actress with a 1000-watt smile. "Basically I am a happy person so I like light stuff, the 'feel good' kind of books are the ones that I like to pick up rather than those where the serious social and brooding issues of our world are discussed. I have loved basically all of Danielle Steel's novels, specially The Ring, The Promise and Zoya."

The interesting part is that Natasha has gone out of her way to watch the movies made on all the books that she has liked, and enjoyed watching most of them. However, she terms The Godfather trilogy as her all-time favourite movies and she considers them to be the best trilogy ever made. "All the parts of The Godfather are mind-boggling! Each one is as remarkable as the other."

As time is so precious these days, Natty makes sure that she doesn't waste it on watching silly and trashy movies so the current Pakistani movies are definitely out and so are most Indian ones — except those starring Shah Rukh Khan. You don't need to be intelligent to guess why. Natty is a big Shah Rukh fan.

But when she is teased about it, she tries to explain, "You see, most of the Indian movies being made these days have a lot of 'gand' in it. As I watch movies with my daughter, I avoid the vulgar kind and Shah Rukh's movies are usually nice and light, so we invariably end up watching them. I am dying to watch his forthcoming movie Don. His movies are basically fun and that's what you want to see after a tiring day."

Natasha remembers with nostalgia the classic movies of Nadeem and Waheed Murad that had wonderful stories and were reasonably directed. Aaina and Zindagi are among her favourite Pakistani movies and she was such a big Waheed Murad fan that when he died, she cried a lot and was simply inconsolable. "He was the ultimate dream hero and there has never been anyone like him in Pakistan," says the model.

When asked if she would be seen in a Pakistani movie, the model who has dabbled with acting on television, was quick to answer in the negative. "I won't act in a Pakistani film for any amount of money. Well, maybe for ten crores I will think about it."

Among her favourite actors are Harrison Ford and Michael Douglas and she thinks Sharon Stone is one of the classiest actress of Hollywood. "Uma Thurman is also fabulous and she was amazing in Pulp Fiction, a movie that I enjoyed too."

Natasha believes that the local television scene has become better because of the competition that has increased with the advent of so many channels. "I think this is really good because now people are getting more opportunities to present their work and, because of the competition, each one is try to come up with something different and better.

"Rahat and Saira Kazmi are classy actors whose plays, such as Perchaiyan, are landmarks of our television scene. They are actors that most people who step into this field take inspiration from."

It is clear that Natty favours the era of the seventies and eighties as most of the movies and music that she likes belong to that period. Abba and Bee Gees from the seventies are her all-time favourite groups while the early numbers of Madonna are the ones from the eighties that Natty still listens to.

"Dancing Queen is my all-time favourite and I can never get tired of listening to the other hits of Abba. Basically, for me good music is anything that touches the soul and the music of Abba and Bee Gees have that quality. But frankly, this quality can be found in many genres of music so different kinds of music can appeal at the same kind."
kalli thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

ZARA SHEIKH :LOLLYWOOD BEAUTY'S EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

She is in....

A few years ago, when Shahzad Gul's magnum opus "Tere Piyaar Mein" was released, it rewrote the celluloid history. It smashed every record in the book with its mind boggling success at the box office and catapulted the model-turned-actress Zara Sheikh straight to the top and today she is firmly entrenched there. Unlike her contemporaries she didn't venture into a signing spree and planned her career quite professionally, making herself available for quality and roles offering substance. Today she is a force to reckon with and a name which defines success. In her exclusive tte--tte with Social Pages the actress unfolds the many hidden facets of her personality, that I'm sure her fans are unaware of.

Claw-for-claw rivalry with contemporaries is quite common in showbiz and every actress in your league claims to be number one. So where do you place yourself among these ratings?

Besides slinging a lot of verbal abuse, I have also seen actresses involved in intense war over nothing serious. I'm quite fed up of denying repeatedly that I seriously don't believe in the numbers game. I want to consolidate my position with my performance and not by indulging in media gossip. I keep comparing myself with my past work and make sure that the deficiencies left earlier are not repeated in my next projects. My race is with myself.

This is obviously very tough, so how do you survive because people don't let you go the way you intend to?

Look, we are living in a very catty industry where even a minute thing and an infinitesimal incident is blown out of proportion. I therefore, keep myself to my work and never poke my nose in matters which are not related to me or my work. I think this is how I have maintained my survival in this era of cut throat competition.

Zara, why are you selective? I wonder how could an artiste afford to be so choosy in such a small industry?

From the first day when I entered the industry I have refrained from accepting roles where the heroines are used for songs only. Meaty roles offering substance have always qualified as my foremost choice. "Tere Piyaar Mein", "Chalo Ishq Larain", "Laaj" and "Salakhain" are best examples in support of the fact that I have always played diversified roles. I literally refuse all those films which showcase heroines for the sake of mere glamour, no matter how hefty a sum of money I'm offered.

But this is something very rare. Should a heroine facing the challenge of a very thin shelf life, do that?

Well, for me my public image is the most important thing and all other things come later. They have always accepted me as a performer and they expect something worthy from me. Therefore I cannot afford to disappoint them by accepting filler kind of roles. I am not ensnared by the quantity but quality has always attracted me.

All the roles you have performed so far carry different shades. What was the most challenging for you?

Although my role in "Laaj" was a challenging one and the project was really prestigious and worth doing, but as far as the role I have personally enjoyed doing was the one I performed in Shahzad Gul "Chalo Ishq Larain". It had two entirely different shades. In the first half of the film I portrayed the role of a very typical next door girl. But in the second half I had to transform into a very western sort of a glamorous girl.

You seem to be least interested in working for the tube. Why?

Be it fashion, modeling or television but the aura and the stardom which films stars enjoy is unquestionable and without a shred of doubt. After attaining whatever I possibly could from the fashion industry I became a part of the film industry and today I have no qualms in telling you that whichever film is being made, the offer first comes to me. I'm fortunate that I'm being considered for roles where the requirement is about delivering performance. I think that is a win for my fans who have always supported me. But I don't have any issues about working for television and I have recently completed a telefilm but the big screen has always been my first penchant.

Normally a new artiste, after delivering a box-office hit goes on a signing spree. But you didn't take advantage of that? Do you ever lament about it?

Well, I don't know about others but in my case, quality and my comfort level comes first. Going on a signing spree is what I could have done but what would be the difference between me and the c-class actresses like Nirma and Laila, who don't let anything go by no matter how small or unconvincing it might be. I can't afford to do that. I think it's better for one to be a trend setter rather than be part of the rat race.

The present state of our once thriving industry raises many questions. Who do you think is responsible?

I am from the industry and whatever name I have earned and whatever position I hold is because of the industry. I really feel bad to see the industry not being given the kind of esteem it deserves. I have never been able to fathom the reason as to why everybody feels it mandatory to treat our film stars as a laughing stock. Instead of contributing anything substantial they just say all the nonsense they possibly can. If anything has spoiled the industry it's a combination of factors like nepotism, groupism, leg pulling and unjust criticism. It has literally finished the industry. Unfortunately the kind of resistance that I show for the bad projects, other artistes don't have any qualms in accepting these. This is what encourages the bad trends.

But today it looks as if Zara Sheikh is no more. Isn't your selectiveness expatriating you to an isolated island?

Well Asif. Tell me, are there any films coming up? Perhaps you are not aware but it's true that we have reduced to an alarming state of four and five films a year. "tu jab filmz hi nahi ban rahien tu maray kam kaam kernay ka tu sawal hi nahi paida hota" . But out of those few films I manage to get one or two, whichever is sound enough to go ahead with.

Do you consider co-productions with the Indians as a good gesture?

I am in favor of the co-productions provided our artistes get an equal share. There are many precedents in the past wherein our artistes were cheated in India. The recent example is of Moamer Rana. He is such a big star of our industry and his role was miserably chopped in the film he did in India reducing it to one scene and a song. Fortunately our people are now aware of the situation and they don't accept anything unless it is scrutinized.

Tell us about your new projects you associate your good hopes with?

Recently I have completed the shooting of a telefilm directed by Iqbal Kashmiri. Meera is also appearing in a strong character and I hope it would turn out to be really worth watching. I have been offered the main lead in Shahzad Rafiq's upcoming Punjabi film, but as I'm not comfortable with Punjabi, doing all those steamy rainy songs and typical lacha kurta dances I refused it, as neither I'm mentally prepared for it nor would my fans expect me doing all that. The next in the pipeline is Javed Raza's "Kabhi Pyar Na Kerna" with Momy and Shamyal Khan as my co-stars. It s a long kind of a triangle story and the director is really working hard to make it presentable.

If you are offered Nazar part -2 by Mahesh Bhatt would you agree to do that?

Mahesh is a good very good director and I wouldn't mind working with him provided I get a good role, the kind Rani Mukherjee performed in Veer Zara, etc. The prerequisites for acceptance of roles that I maintained here would be applicable there as well.

You have sung a few songs too. Are you planning to release an album?

I love singing ——- I love music and I have got a very good response from the people for the song I sang for "Chalo Ishq Larain", "akayla mujhay chor ka chala hai kanhan". I'm working on my album but I feel that the way the viewership of our channels has drastically declined, our music has also lost its following. Viewers seem confused today as they don't know what to watch and what to listen to. But whenever I do come up with an album it would be significantly different and pleasant.

We have heard that you have refused working for 'Devdas" and now Reema and Meera are doing it?

I don't find any solid reason for making this film again. The recent remake was a huge hit and the Indians had spent billons over it. With a small budget as well as a small market I don't think we would be able to come up with anything significant. Therefore I refused the role of Paro.

zara's interview courtesy : social pages

Edited by kalli - 17 years ago
kalli thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

JashneBaharan kicks off,,,

Date: 2007-02-23

Punjab Minister for Housing and Urban Development Syed Raza Ali Gillani formally kicked-off month-long festivities of the 'Jashn-e-Baharan 2007' at a colourful ceremony at Racecourse Park Thursday evening.

The opening ceremony of the spring festival started at 7:00pm, two hours later than the originally scheduled time. Director General Parks and Horticulture Authority (PHA) Irfan Ali received the chief guest.

Talking to reporters, the minister said that celebrating the spring festival didn't mean that people were not mourning the loss of lives in the Samjhota Express bombing.

He said that it was part and parcel of Punjab's traditions to celebrate spring enthusiastically. "Such activities are essential in today's life because they could help to remove people's frustrations,' he added.

During the ceremony army bands and singers from all four provinces gave performances. A firework display was also held on the occasion. Noted pop singer Ali Zafar mesmerised the audience with his melodious voice.

The PHA also announced its month-long activities to celebrate the arrival of spring. These include an exhibition of paintings on Friday, street performances, traditional food stalls and craft shops at Tourist Street (old Anarkali) on March 2, 3 and 4. A dog show will be held on March 2; a flower arrangement competition on March 3; national songs competition on March 9; and, a flower festival from March 10 to 23 at Racecourse Park. A "Bahar Mushaira" will be held at Hazoori Bagh on March 17 in which leading poets will participate. The closing ceremony will consist of a 'Resolution Day Parade', which will start from Gaddafi Stadium and end at Racecourse Park

PHA has illuminated roundabouts, fountains and flowerbeds, installed decorative gates at the city's entry points and put up banners and streamers to give a festive look to the city.

Edited by kalli - 17 years ago