Frequent Posters

wini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Hardtalk with Ali Azmat
By Ahmed Hayat

Is Junoon really over?
Yes it is.😲

What makes your solo album Social Circus so different from Junoon albums?
Social Circus is completely my sound, it is completely my music.

So, weren't you getting to express your sound while being in Junoon?
Not necessarily. Well, we work in a band, we sound like the band sounds. But in my solo effort I make it sound how I want it to sound.

Tell us something about your video with Jami 'Deewana', how did it come about?
Deewana was something that we wanted to do something that hadn't been done before. Wanted to take a chance in creating computer graphics, futuristic cities and car chases and to take the art of video making to an another level. Stuff that noone would do for the next 10 years as it is very time consuming, very artistic and very creative.😎

Your next video from the album social circus and who will be directing it?
Well we are working on 3 videos at one time; let's see which video finishes on time. There are different people directing it. There is one video which I am directing myself, one done by Zeeshan Pervez and Raju, Sohail Javed is doing one.

Social Circus has been well received by the critics here, what do you say about that?
I feel really good about it. Its great to see that people relate to my music and my poetry and the things I want to share. It gives me great pleasure.

How has social circus been received in India?
Great it has been doing well. Our live performaces there have been mind blowing. They responded very well. We created a very different sound as to what we use to produce with Junoon. People liked it very well and enjoyed it.👏

When are you planning to release your next album?
I just released social circus last April and my next will come out sometime in 2007.

Your views on Salman Ahmed's album 'Infinity'.
I think it's a great album but it would have been better if somebody else sang it.😛 None the less he has done a good job with the kind of stuff he is doing.

In a recent interview Brian mentioned that you guys kicked him out of the band.😆 What do you say about that?
Nobody kicked him out of the band, he himself started missing gigs. We took a decision if we wanted to go on. So we sidelined him because he wasn't performing. We took a guest artist and kept touring.

How is Ali Azmat different in real life than as what media potrays him?
I am not sure what the media world potrays me as but I am a very different person. Every artist has there own do's and don'ts. I have actually lived my life as how I pleased. I have done what I wanted to do. It might have showed me as completely wild and out of control but I am actually.

On a recent television show you mentioned that all the Zindagi Trust funds collected goes to the pocket of Shahzad Roy ...😲😆
It was a joke man, it was a joke.

What are you doing to help the earthquake victims?
We had crisis before but now I think everybody is going along with their lives.

Is your relationship with Vaneeza Ahmed completely over?😕
Man, this is not a question that I would like to answer.😉

So was it a marketing gimmick putting Vaneeza Ahmed in 'Na re Na' video when you know that your fans know about your romantic past?😉
Well it was a decision by the director, not me.

What are your plans for the future?
Going for a tour to Toronto👍🏼, India and America.

Would you like to give any message to your fans?
Be yourself as that is the hardest thing to do

Lastly, when is your next hairstyle coming out, its been a long time since a change?😃
Who knows man, not changing for now. We will see.

Edited by wini - 17 years ago
wini thumbnail

Insight & Outlook
Interview with Najam Sheraz
By Ahmed Hayat

Is the music field your only bread and butter? Or you have a hidden profession as well?

No hidden profession. I depend on what I earn from the Music business.

Being in the music profession for the past 10 years, how does it feel?

Very demanding. New challenges every year, more market brings more expectations. Actually I feel blessed ever since I've started using my voice for a cause of better Pakistan and a peaceful world. Even my voice has started sounding better now.

How did you end up doing music?

Music has been my profession for a very, very long time now. Before music it was cricket. The problem with cricket was that I felt too dependent on the Captain Associations and boards and so it was music that gave me the required freedom. Music allowed me to think and grow as a person and made me more sensitive and creative.

How was your experience working in India for the "Bhatt's"?

Nothing exceptional but gives you a sense of competition when you are looking at a bigger market and you want to be a better singer and a composer. I wish things become more professional there than just being cut throat.

What has been the best move you've ever made in your career path?

I always worked with the best, and that is what kept me moving. My association with the cause of developing oneself, our home land Pakistan by producing motivational audio visual ventures (credit goes to arrahman-arraheem.com) is a milestone for me; otherwise I would have been just another rocker with no aim in life.

You are currently involved with some social activities such as Arrahman-Arraheem.com; can you please tell us more about it?

It's for a holy cause, no organization or trust or NGO or donations or any political or groups association. Its purely an educational website, here we focus on personal development and try to use the media to highlight the goodness in the society and the people, which is another way to counter weaknesses and ills of the society and the people, rather than just criticizing and pointing out weaknesses and doing nothing about it. It also enables you to have a first hand knowledge of the Holy Book and Hadith with reference chapter and verse according to the situation and your practical life rather than hearing different concepts about Deen from others and just keeping an opinion about Deen all your life without verifying it. At the end of the day everyone needs a better life and a better solution and The Boss Almighty has it all sorted out.

So what's new in the pipeline for Najam Sheraz's fans?

Loads. A complete Album on the development of Pakistan. A world music Album with some international musicians, it will be recorded in Canada and South Africa which will be a treat for the people of Pakistan and India. And of course my annual US/UK tour.

As Pakistan is also coming into the trend of Remixes what do you have to say about that? As your 10-year album has tracks with a different musical arrangements compared to original, will you call them remix's?

Ten years special album "Menu tere naal" was reproduced and re-sung, so it's not a remix album. And I think sometimes artists remix for the satisfaction or exploring new angles but unfortunately mainstream industry makes it a 'trend' which creates problems for the growth of new music . The industry is always responsible for the growth of the creative and new music and that's how you do a long term business without letting one's standard fall, so no short cuts.

Are you going to give it a try as well, if yes so which of your numbers well be remixed?

Well it's not on my agenda at the moment, but if someone else out there wants to remix my songs, I just might think about it.

What are your aims and goals in life?

A very complex question indeed. I try and live as it comes but I think it's quite clear from the answer above that I don't want to go from here without justifying my existence to this world. In turn I want to thank the Creator for giving me a chance to live.

How do you define Islam?

The Big Boss has shown us the way to live in peace from the first day till the Day of Judgment, it's all written in black and white. We muslims should try to improve the quality of peace in our lives from today rather then wait for the end result. 👏👏👏

Now the spirit of Islam is actually 'peace' in our personal lives, human relationships, expressions of all kinds, it's about giving Peace👏
''Salamti''. A Muslim is the one who submits to this judgment and lives and maintains peace. 👏

In this society people have a very strange attitude towards people working for Islam. Have you faced any problems? Have you ever been mobbed? How does the public react to you?

Problems of being misunderstood 'YES' because there are many confusions existing in the society and most of the people have a pre-conceived notion about Deen without any justification or knowledge of Quran and Hadith. As far as reaction is concerned I have always been appreciated and my contribution to the team of arrahman-arrahim.com is clear, our focus is not to hurt anyone but to improve the quality of the society without disgracing or insulting anyone and to clarify the misconceptions about Islam. Remember what Prophet PBUH said' 'Muslim is the one from whose words and actions others are safe''

But even then some people try to give a bad name to this wonderful and selfless effort without even verifying it by using e mails and other means on the internet. This is Hypocrisy ''Munafqat'' because if you are so sincere with Pakistan and Islam you should correct and educate the person you think is doing something wrong which is the biggest Sunnah of Prophet PBUH. Please check Chapter 49 verse 6

Are you a spiritual person in reality?

Well I make mistakes but I'm definitely not dead, spiritually.

What was your inspiration towards your album 'Yeh Moamla Koi Aur Hai', how did the idea come up of doing such an album?

My own life .A lot of fans asked me to use my voice to praise All-mighty I requested Mr. Babur R. Choudhry to write something in the Light of Quran and He did it. The chorus 'na tera khuda' (First Two Lines) has been written by Sabir Zafar.

I could have released it with other Hamds and Naats of other Artists but I wanted to keep a clear direction so Hamds and National songs were a great combo.

When can we expect another pleasing album like it?

Very soon, a lot has been written and recorded I don't want to say much but very exciting and trend setting stuff is in the pipe line I am sure all of you out there will be proud of it.

Anything else that you would like to add up, for our readers?

Lets appreciate not discourage. Let's educate not insult. Lets be an example not a critic. We all want to see our nation as 'progressing', and for this we all have to work in all directions: technologically and morally. Even if we get the best tech. and the industry we still need sincere and loyal people which can't come up without hard work on the character of the personality and its never too late, so lets hold hands and be friends and move together with everyone with one goal that we want to make our home Pakistan a place where peace and brotherhood will prevail in such a way that Other cultures and countries will learn from us 'Dhoonday duniya tumharay Qadmon kay Nishan''.

Love and Regards to everyone and a great year. Lets do it!

wini thumbnail

A Lunch with HSY
Interview with Hassan Sheheryar Yasin
By Nida Khan & Deepti Pillai

Tell us about your philosophy regarding fashion designing?

I believe every single designer has a different role when viewing fashion. At HSY we always feel that if fashion portrays a slot of crazy hurricane competed with the sensationalism of fashion trends then we want HSY to be the eye of the storm, where we are, it's the god, it's the center of timeless classic couture you can wear now and maybe you can take out 20 years later and it will still be relevant. We don't believe in trends-of-fashion, we want it to be something timeless, classic and elegant.

Where did you do your fashion schooling from?

I went to Pakistan School of Fashion Design (PSFD) and graduated in 2000. I have just been appointed by the government of Pakistan and now I am in the Board of Directors of the school as well and in the Executive Committee.

HSY the label defines ... ?

Philosophy of timeless elegance, its about coming into the world where you feel secure and you feel whatever you wear it won't necessary over power the wear it should be part of your definition and not necessary your definition. I don't think it should become so strong and so powerful that they start dedicating terms as to who you are.

How did it you become a fashion designer. You were also an RJ at City FM ... ?

I didn't start my career as an RJ, it was just something I came across and it was fun. In 1994 I started my career as a fashion choreographer, during the12 years that followed I did a lot of local shows; I traveled a lot and did a lot of international shows. During that time I decided not to throw away my career and become someone conventional. When I was 5 yrs old I developed an urge to design my own clothes, joining the fashion school in 1996, I learnt how clothes are put together, the philosophy behind them which led to the opening of my fashion house HSY in 2000.

So what skills do you need to become fashion designer?

You need so many skills that are unbelievable and I think it's true for so many professions. Besides obviously having a good aesthetic sense and the ability to be creative you need to be able to explore the world explore yourself and explore all the things around you because fashion is about constant reinvention with a philosophy underlined. You should also travel and meet people, understand cultures and socio-economical limitations. If you know all this I'm sure you can put up a store in Lahore and sell.

So it is not only about being creative?

Creativity is very important to be a designer, but if you want to be a successful designer then you need to be successful in every single way like being innovative and understanding the market. I mean I can come up with a great idea for a bikini and put it out in Peshawar who's going to buy it? It has to be relevant you have to be relevant in your advertisement.

What do you do in your 'spare time'?

I wish I had any spare time. I never do. It's always crazy and rush from project to project, we just launched HSY jewellery and are planning to launch HSY home furniture line and accessories so that's going to drive me even more crazy.

So why is it HSY expanding into jewellery and furniture line. Is it about showcasing your talent?

It's not that maybe it's that I don't know really. I like to do what I enjoy and I feel that fashion is not just about clothes, it's a lifestyle. And I want HSY to be a lifestyle product I want people to be able to buy into the lifestyle that HSY represents, something for everyone.

You recently started menswear, why the delay?

Frankly it wasn't delay it was my laziness, I always wanted to do menswear but wanted to progress slowly and gradually with complete concentration and produce something exciting and fabulous. Now that we have the time and we feel that we have established HSY women's wear so now we can start off the HSY men's wear. Can't start off anything I can't concentrate on, seriously, it's about trying your hand in everything and that's what we are doing right now.

So is it because HSY women went successful do you now are starting HSY for mens line?

Well we feel HSY for women by the grace of God is doing well and now I can also try experimenting on menswear. We have been doing the prototypes for around 3 years now, we have been coming up with different looks and now we starting to launch is properly.

Do clothes make a man or does man make the clothes?

Oh man definitely makes the clothes; clothes do not make a man. I do not think, often for a lot of people that do, I think those who feel that clothes that will make the man are people with very little self confidence probably no personality.

Many people overlook the importance of fashion?

The importance of fashion is there but again don't wear something that's not going to work for you. Everybody has got a certain personality or certain characteristic physical or some kind of attribute to add to those clothes. The clothes add to a man but they don't make a man.

Why isn't there an HSY Outlet in Dubai yet?

We haven't had the opportunity to do it as yet, for that I need to be here much longer and because at present we're stuck in so many projects and to start a showroom it's very important for a person to be physically present. Because we don't have that kind of time so we stocking with designers lounge and Razia and Nadir, they are the kind of people who understand what we are doing and they can get the kind of clients that we want. We are already in London and Manchester perhaps two places in London; we are going to open in New York soon. I need to concentrate on each market separately.

In recent years Pakistan has seen a lot of new talents in fashion designing. Do you think it is saturating the Pakistani market?

No. Where there is a lot of mixed talent available especially due to the internet, there is also a benefit to the consumer. The consumer becomes intelligent. The consumer starts to realize the different options available under various roofs. The consumer no longer wants to look like a million bucks she wants to feel like a million bucks. What's happening is that there are a lot of designers right now and I think the consumer will do the shifting and the good ones will survive and the bad ones will get down. In the process the good ones will become better for they will realize that there is competition in the market and competition will motivate them to become more creative.

What can we look forward to in your upcoming spring/summer collection?

You are going to see a lot of fluidity, a lot a lot of structured stuff, less bling but definitely a mixture of eastern and western. There will be a strong fusion element in our spring/summer and there will be a lot of transparencies a lot of fabrics use for the value of their transparencies but of course our socio-economic culture will be kept in mind.

Who are your favorite Pakistani models?

Vaneeza Ahmed for her explicit method of bringing life to my lines, you put an outfit on her and it will look as if it was just made it for her. Iman Ali is also my top favorite.

What advice would you give to a young budding designer?

Go to school, there are no shortcuts. Educate yourself. Learn about fashion, the construction of clothes; understand who a designer really is. Go through the whole process of education if it doesn't work out then there are a lot of different fields related to fashion industry like production, management or retail.

Any last words to your audience?

Follow your dreams. I'm a firm believer of dreams and wishes, I was afraid of failure myself when I was trying my wings as a designer but then I guess one shouldn't be afraid of taking risks, if something is to happen, it will, nothing can stop it.

How are you going to celebrate Valentines Day?

Alone at my hotel I think. Love is a great deal for me. In my life I haven't had time for it and there are things that you have to sacrifice when you work as much as I do and sometimes you regret that. But I am very blessed that I have the love and support of my family especially my mom, I really love her. I wear two rings in my hand, given to me by my mom and sister; I don't think I would be 'someone' without my moms and sisters support. Frankly, they are the only two women in my life. No one on this planet is alone, Valentines for me is really a celebration of just everyone is my life and I am very blessed that I have some fantastic friends in my life and an amazing and supportive family. Usually for V-day I take my mom out for dinner or have a small cousin get-together.
This time though I'm away from home, in Dubai, so you never know, something just might happen. And with a smile HSY bid farewell to us and went to give finishing touches to his stall ...

wini thumbnail

In-Style & In-Control - Tariq Amin
By Ahmed Hayat & Irim Ahmed

Tariq Amin is Pakistan's top stylist for the past 25 years. In the past 2 years, he has declined all other Pakistani Fashion Magazines to have his interview but while on a recent visit to a private fashion show in Dubai he agreed to Raw for an exclusive. We hope you enjoy reading it as much as we enjoyed interviewing him.

Tell us something about your unique way of styling.
I think I am a very edgy stylist. That's a good word for me, Edgy. I am always one step ahead of myself because I am my own competition, especially in Pakistan. Some people think that I am a kind of a crazy stylist, but I really think that at the end of the day if you really see my work I can be crazy if you want me to be. Truly, my work is about my aesthetics and they are more on the classic, old fashion kind of thing as I suppose to simplicity. I mean that stands out more but I can be very complicated if somebody wants me to be.

You said you have no competition, are there no other good stylists in Pakistan?
There are a lot of stylists in Pakistan, but there is no one else that I consider professional except for Nabila. Lots of people have come and gone, but she's the only person who has left an impact on the scene. There are loads of stylists that are self taught, self-proclaimed, yeah, they do a lot of work but they 'Kiss Ass' and do it. I don't do that at all.

I have been doing this for 25 years now, yeh daari aisay hi sufaid nahin huwi. I can handle a bunch of chicks like nobody I know. These guys who are around, they haven't even worked themselves into double digits; who are they to have an opinion. I can have an opinion. I have worked damn hard to have an opinion. The newcomers don't have the right to have an opinion.

The Pakistani fashion industry has been growing tremendously lately and there seems to be a recent boom, but one can't see any evolution as such. Why is that?
It's growing, it's grown up a long way, baby. I tell you, fashion is meant to be fun. We take it way too seriously-you know what I am saying. Fashion is meant to be about change. We are the only country in the world that has 35-year-old supermodels. They can't model anywhere in the world except Pakistan. They are beautiful ladies, but a model is supposed to be 18 and tight, not 35 and wrinkled. In our country, we can't work collectively. We just want to do me, me, me, and only me. I don't compete with that; I don't even want to be recognized that way. I do so much of this styling and it keeps me very busy. Besides that I have a music company, I act, and I do a lot of things that help me make who I am. There are a lot of people in the fashion industry who don't even know who they are and they try to become this or that. It doesn't come itself, its either you have the knack for fashioning or you don't. Aesthetics is something that you are born with and it doesn't develop. At the end of the day, styling or creative work is about a person's aesthetics. It is not about whether you can draw a straight line or if you can make a certain type of lips or hair.

How would you compare the Pakistani fashion scene with the International fashion scene?
We are trying and I believe we can do it. We haven't done anything on a collective platform yet. You know, people in Lahore are making one council and people in Karachi making another. You can't move forward with such reluctance to work with each other for a collective cause. Work speaks for you. Everybody knows what I am capable of. Fashion industry, as far as India is concerned, it is like an Industry. It's a 20 crore rupees industry. They have Delhi fashion week and Bombay fashion week. We are not serious about it and we cannot be collective about it, which is really sad. That is really sad. I was always the guy who used to equalize stuff. There is no good guy and I don't want to be on any team. I rather be a referee or an umpire because I have earned the right.

Karachi is fashion. Lahore is wannabe fashion. Sure they have got a fashion school and stuff, but none other than the two 'Do it right boys', HSY and Kamiar. That's it. In the last 5 years they have made a name for themselves. Those guys were so shitty but they knew the right people. You know I am not for those teeny bumper parties; I am partying in Mexico instead. That's more exciting for me. Nobody has that knowledge to take full control here. Rizwan Baig, a dear friend, him and Maheen and people from Karachi, Amir Adnan: these guys that have created the Pakistani Fashion. They are the ones who dress Diana, Karzai and royalty. I cannot beg for work, I am a little better brought up than that. That's why the state of Pakistani fashion is low, because we are doing it for that '5 rupees more'. We're Pakistanis, we do have to stay true to our nature haina. The most people I know in this industry will sell their mothers for that '5 rupees more'. That is the state of our nation.

If you could change three things about the fashion industry, what would you change?
Blow up a dozen places. I need to blow up a few people that's it. Everyone knows who my friends are and who my enemies are. Its transparent, I don't even have to take their names. 'Assi kanjur zaroor hai magar begarat nahin'.

Your views regarding fashion versus style?
Fashion is something you buy; style is something you are born with. I never followed fashion; I always created my own fashion. Style is about you. It's about your individual style. They are people and you can be influenced by cultures. If you are an artist, then you should look like an artist, if you are a hairdresser then you should look like a hairdresser, if you are a banker then you should look like a banker, If you are a gigolo then you should look like a gigolo. Unfortunately, people do things like 'Mummy ko nahi acha lagta, meray Boyfriend ko nahin acha lagta, meray Baap ko acha nahi lagta to phir khud karlo, yeh lo. Ye mat karo, wo mat karo magar Change kardo'. I say: I am a hairdresser; I am not God, okay.

While styling a person, what is your basic approach?
I personally feel that I don't rip-off people. Having this huge Tariq Amin title, although you can't do as good as the last shit you've done but I still have not seen anything better than myself. My work speaks for myself you know the kind of portfolio that I have. I would like to see all the stylists of Pakistan collectively on a piece of paper and I know I will still look better than them. There is no substitute for time and experience. Unfortunately, nobody wants to learn from that experience. We just want to quickly rise to the top.

What would you like to advice a new comer to this industry?
Keep true to yourself and work hard. Nothing comes easy in this life. Don't be afraid of being yourself. I know a lot of people can't stand me or don't like me simply because I am not a hypocrite. They can't deal with that. They are like 'its okay' and I am like 'No, it isn't okay'. They are like 'It'll work' and I am like 'It won't work'. I don't like chaloo kaam. With my name on it, it has got to be amazing, supreme. If I am not 101% then I don't want to do it. I play to win otherwise I do not play.

When it comes to fashion and makeup, what kind of styling do you prefer: a contemporary or classic type of styling?
It depends on the requirement. The thing about classic is that you can never go wrong with that. Look at Khamaj (video); if something were wrong with the styling then it would have been a stupid video. Have you the seen clown video of Abbas Ali Khan; it was this close (brings his hands close to his face). I could have looked like a clown but it's not about that at all. I have won an award for that performance. I won best male model in a video and I am a 43-year-old bald man. The fact that I have won the best male model of Pakistan should make a statement about our industry. I mean I am very flattered but this says something about the talent of our country. That it's bloody talent less! I mean there are thousands of guys who are 20, with abs and biceps. A little foundation and shaving of eyebrows goes a long way in this country. Did you see the video? Did you see the pimp look? It was all very classically approached. It's a look that you already have in your mind. So you can do stuff that can be totally wrong but no, it's not happening here.

Who is your favorite Pakistani model and International model?
I have never had a favorite model. Which is my favorite model in Pakistan? None. Who is my muse? My wife. The most beautiful international woman with whom I'd like to work with is Monica Belluci. There is Faiza (my wife) and there is Monica Belluci. That will tell you the kind of a man I am. I can talk about Monica Belluci for the rest of the day. In the local scene I have worked with everybody. There are definitely people who I don't like to work with. And even they know who they are; they are not allowed to come to my salon. They can't walk in because I will kick them out!

Who is your favorite Pakistani and International designer?
Rizwan Baig. Definitely. No doubt about it. International designer is Mr. Giorgio Armani.

How was your experience with the recent Amir Adnan's 'Style Icon' Fnk Asia event?
Great, Great. Amir Adnan is an institution. He is someone who is highly respected in the fashion industry. He has proved himself. I think the event was really necessary because it helped us to find twenty new faces.

Is there any beauty tip that you would like to give out to our readers?
Look after your skin. Skin is an organ. Everybody just wants to put stuff on. Wash your face. That's a good beauty tip.

Is your music label launched yet or is it still in process? Are you turning towards music as a definite profession?
No, it has been launched. Again, everybody wonders why this is happening or why that isn't happening. I haven't done hair dressing for 5 days; I have done it for 25 years. If I do a music company, I am not going to do it for 5 days; this is what I am going to do when I am old. I will make rock and roll and help young kids out basically. I have helped so many people in their careers in the last 15 years as far as music is concerned. Ever since Mr. Fraudiye of Awaz, I became totally involved in it. If I wasn't ever going to be a hairdresser or stylist, I was definitely going to be a rock star. I dress like one and I look like one. I have a rock star attitude. So far, we have released one album. We had major problems because of the factories being sealed off. Now every recording place has a 'CIA agent and an FBI agent'. So there is no copyright problem. We are the first legal recording company. So, there you go, how's that? I am only looking for and discovering new artists. I am not doing the old buzz like do this or do that like Fuzon or Shehzad Roy or various others who are already well-established artists. My main concern is to find new talent. To look at some kid and say you son, you are very talented. Since nobody saw that when I was twenty andI was talented and so lets make him something. If I had been born in America, believe me, Paris Hilton would be a friend of mine. Not that I haven't met Cindy Crawford and rest of the chicks from that side of the world. I do live the kind of life you see in the magazines like Vogue and not in G and V, if you know what I mean.

Recently you did a music video with Rola; please tell us something about that.
Yes, it's on number 9 right now. I haven't done a non-number 1 song until now which is a great achievement. I know music; I come from a generation that listens to music instead of watching it. That's a big difference. I know what a good voice is or who isn't copying a loop from a computer. I mean you can easily be a rock star. Just put your vocals on a computer and your voice can be altered and engineered. I want people who can play an instrument. You can't have a concert unless you are Moby.

The Rola video 'Main Nahin Hoon' is a 5-day, backbreaking piece of work, but look at the result. There are two videos. The one with me in it is banned because of the girls, bed and drugs in it.

Are there any other upcoming artists that are working with you in your music company?
Yes we are working with a whole bunch of upcoming artists: Adeel and Abbas Ali Khan are two of them. Abbas's new album is coming out. We are working with a new band called Siege. For me, videos and stuff both mean the same thing. They all require styling, fashion, clothes and photo sessions, but at least you know you are working with some talent oriented people.

Tell us something about your family.
Our son is 14. I chose all his hairstyles and I am here with my daughter who is going to be 3 very soon. 2nd April (2006) is my 20th anniversary. I have a home and we live in Islamabad. However, I travel back and forth between Lahore & Karachi. And without my wife, Faiza, I wouldn't be the man that I am now.

Lastly, any message to our readers.
Stay true to your heart, stay true to yourself. That is the best advice I can give to anyone. Look ahead, have no regrets. Because that means if you have regrets then you have to look back. 'Mitti pao', just stay focused.

wini thumbnail

Backstage with Ali Noor
By Ahmed Hayat

How far has the philosophy of Noori been achieved?

This is really a difficult question, but I'm glad that you have asked it. There is no such thing as a final achievement or a goal, but I am quite confident of our new album. We have managed to take the next step forward. We have realized the basic idea behind our music, which is to communicate a message. We deal with the problems of indifference, self-indulgence, the attitude of not caring about the world around you. We are not political, but we are definitely concerned about something more consequential than politics. That includes our internal personality and personal lives. And when that starts rotting, then that's just the beginning of some real serious issues. We are trying to address that with our new album.

Why has Gumby been left out of the band?

He was based in Karachi, and then we moved to Lahore. He became busy and decided to play with other bands. We have given out a full detail on our website as well. More importantly, it was due to the fact that we have been playing with him for the past 3-4 years and so I guess that he wanted to try out to play some other kinds of music. Noori needed more commitment and he was busy with too many playing, so we thought it was best we part instead of having a fight, because I don't believe in having bad relations with anybody.

Who do you think is suitable to replace him?

Fahad Khan has already started playing with us. I must say, even though Gumby is one of the finest drummers, I think Fahad Khan is gelling in much better with the band. This is because we can jam a lot more; we couldn't do so much with Gumby. We also play with Salman Albert. We don't have a fixed drummer now. Noori will now be just me and my brother. Let's see how things turn out.

We found out Mrs. Ali Noor is now performing as a DJ in the band. Can you tell us more about that?

It has to be a bit of surprise, because people are having different ideas. Some think that we are going to turn into an electronic band, but that's up to them. We're definitely not turning into a techno, rave or a house band. If you have heard songs like Saari Raat Jaga and Ooncha, then it's obvious that we have some solid ideas to portray.

Which song is your favorite from Peeli Patti Aur Raja Jani ki Gol Duniya?

Well all of them are my babies; I have really worked hard on all of them. But Aarzoo is a song that I feel is much closer to my heart.

Lastly, which music video will you release next and who will direct it?

Our next music video will be 'Meray Log' and it will be directed by Mandana, my wife.

wini thumbnail

Interview with Azfar Ali
By Ahmed Hayat

Give us a background of your journey to the media world. How did you get in to this field?
Well, I come from a family of artists. Both my mom and dad are painters. Two of my mom's paternal uncles are also artists. I was brought up in such an environment. I had no idea what I wanted to do in life till I went to London to study in 1993, where I chose graphic designing as my future profession. When I returned home in the summer vacations the following year, I thought I'd do an internship.

However, due to the lack of design houses in Karachi I landed at a television production company called Combine Productions headed by Mr. Ghanzanfar Ali (my mentor). There I learnt that I had a flair for moving visuals and I loved the fact that I would one day see my work on TV. I decided to put my higher education on hold and worked day and night for Combine. I assisted the directors, camera crew, served tea to actors etc. After 3 or 4 months, I was promoted to 'segment director' in which I was to shooting interviews of pop singers for a music show. Soon I was given my very own program called "Video Countdown" and I was finally made the 'producer.' After working for 4 years and doing over 100 episodes I went to the USA to study film. Unfortunately, since it was very expensive, I ended up completing my BA in advertising. I've been working freelance since my return.

You had gained a lot of fame with the sitcom "Sub Set Hai"? Tell us something about that? How did you end up doing such a play?
"Sub Set Hai" was totally my idea based on the "Archie" comic book series. I have said before that nothing was ever copied or extracted from the comic book itself. I focused on the fact that Pakistani media ignored the youth. There were no programs that spoke our language or had stories to which we could relate ourselves to. I never liked that fact that our plays were women-oriented and carried a very formal tone of dialogue even when two very close friends were communicating. I broke all rules of script writing and created 4 characters that seemed real. We decided not to use a written script. We improvised every scene and I knew exactly how to make it funny, yet realistic, through my direction.

You have tried out many things; acting, play direction & music video direction; which one do you enjoy doing the most. In your opinion, which field do you think you fit best in?
My greatest desire is to make my own film. The path leading to my goal is through plays. I enjoy them the most and I have a good understanding of them. I do music video direction and acting sometimes just to break the monotony. Plays are about people and their stories. Through them I get a chance to understand human behavior, which is a PhD in psychology itself. For me, the idea of recreating reality is very fascinating. I believe I can do this forever.

Who is your biggest inspiration?
All great people inspire me. I love reading about their lives and understanding their goals. However, my greatest desire is to see Pakistani art, film and television progress. I want to create a cool image of Pakistan through my work. I always say: "People always work for themselves, when they succeed the country progresses, but I work only for the country's progress and occasionally I get something out of it too."

How was the experience working with Shahzad Nawaz in Daira?
To be honest I was very disappointed because every frame you see in that film was created by me. At the end I was stripped of my credit and left to be called just the "Lead Director". I'm still trying to figure out what it means.

It is said that Azfar Ali is very "Munn Maujee" in person? Is that true?
I like doing what I believe in, things that I do are unique and they are not mainstream. I reject all offers that I think are not going to bring about a change in the market. So I'm not "Munn Maujee". I'm just looking at the bigger picture.

What has been the best move you have ever made in your career?
I guess it was the decision to marry Salma... she has changed my entire life.

Out of all your plays, which one is your favorite?

A short love story I did for Geo called "Apple Pie". It's story about a fat girl who falls in love with an army officer. I like this one because it was cute. It reminded the audiences of the good old PTV days, when plays used to be sensitive, funny, practical and artistic.

Your comment, on the current media scene of Pakistan?
We are a fast growing industry, however I don't agree with the direction in which we are headed. We lack originality, literature, and we have failed to create 'thinkers'. However, all hope isn't lost. There are a few hard workers aiming to do high-quality work. Some of them are succeeding as well. In my opinion the first thing we need is a bunch of writers, who 'read' and observe the world around them, not just Indian and Hollywood films.

Every director has a dream project in mind. Tell us what's yours?
It's a film, it's all in my head. I even have a name, but I won't tell you that yet. I might in a couple of years. It isn't the time for me to make a film yet.

How do you position yourself in the media world in the coming years, as there is more and more competition coming in everyday?
Well, Salma and I have a company now; it's called "Kolachi Films". We are trying to do projects that are solely our ideas and are based on my beliefs; we hope to set a pattern that many can follow.

Tell us about your upcoming projects?
We are working on 3 projects now, one is a Telefilm on boxing, the second is a sitcom about two girls who are cousins and the third is a serial about a young man who moves from Faisalabad to Karachi, trying to strike it rich in this city. This one is our pet project and I have my fingers crossed for it.

Talking about your love life, you are married to your "Sub Set Hai" co-star Salma. Tell us how it happened?
We just met each other! We spoke over the phone for I think 7 hours and at the end, I proposed. It turns out that our moms were long lost friends. Now here we are married.

Are you two (Salma & You) going to working together as co-stars in any coming projects?
Nothing is planned so far as acting together is concerned, but Salma is the CEO of Kolachi Films and the producer for all our upcoming projects.

Tell us something about your family?
We are a very small family. There's my sister who's married with 2 kids. My mom got divorced when I was very young and I've lived with her ever since. I do meet my father sometimes though. My Kolachi Team is my family as well. We are 6 in all.

Your aims & goals in life?
I wish to pay it forward, my experiences have taught me a lot and I want others to benefit from them. I love to teach others all that I know. My goal is to make a film and be recognized by it in the years to come.

Anything that you dislike about the current social system? How would you like to change it?
I don't like the fact that our people are greatly influenced by the Indian media, and have also started to follow them in many ways. This has made us lose our identity and our originality. I don't know if one man can change this, but there's no harm in trying!

Any message to the nation reading your interview?
One should know the difference between 'talent' and 'desire'. There are some things one can do well and other things one has a desire to do, but cannot necessarily do well. I always wanted to be a cricketer. I might have become one but never one as good as Brain Lara!

wini thumbnail

Kazzmatazz!
Interview with Ali Kazmi
By Ahmed Hayat - ([email protected])

Who is Ali Kazmi?

A simple man who wants to entertain; an artist whose canvas is the world. 👏

As William Shakespeare once said" the world is a stage and we all have our roles to play" this is just the beginning.

Keep watching. As Robbie Williams once said "let me entertain you"

Does luck play some role in showbiz?

It surely does but luck can get you in, it cannot take you very far! One must have talent and passion for whatever one does. Hard work is what counts in the long run.

Is media playing an important role in developing our showbiz or not?

It is the age of the media boom and media plays an important part in every walk of life from banking to production.

Pakistan is finally becoming aware that one must give importance to media and it is working in our favour, it will put showbiz on the map. Everybody is watching and it is a global phenomenon!

How did you enter showbiz?

I first came in a play at the age of two. It was love at first sight! I knew what I wanted to do- ACT. Since then I have watched the great actors act.

How was the experience of acting in your first play?

Besides the time when I was two, I had done a lot of music videos and some modeling. When I was fifteen my mother cast me in a long play called "Zikr hai kai saal ka" with my father Rahat Kazmi and Attiqa Odho.

It was an amazing experience working with such professionals at an early age. I learned so much and had fun doing it. I still get praises for that play. MashAllah I am surprised people still recognise me! It is all thanks to the great actors I have worked with and what they have taught me.

Don't you think it was easier for you to enter the showbiz because your parents have been very successful in the showbiz?

Hmmm well yes and no. I did know all the right people to work with and how to get into the field but to stay in it and do well is the key. If one does not have talent and passion for acting one cannot do justice to this field. One must work hard to get ahead. Especially in this day and age of competition one has to make ones own name count! I am trying my best. Keep watching!

Did you get any advice from your parents on how to survive in the showbiz?

I got loads of advice from my parents on life issues but not for showbiz. They let me fight my own battles and told me that whatever you do just do it well. I love them for it.

When you grow up with media all around you, you learn how to really absorb it and use that knowledge when it counts.

Your parents being in the showbiz must've played an important role in your grooming?

Growing up with stylish parents is the best thing because style comes naturally. But you must then develop your own style. It's all in the genes! For survival in this media world you got to make every action count and give it your all! I am trying my best.

Do you think a play shot in a foreign country has a better viewer ship than one made locally?

Not at all! It may seem glamorous and glitzy but actually it is not a real play. Drama must be real and true to life which all depends on the story and direction.👏

There is so much beauty here why go abroad.👍🏼 We must be proud of our own country and our work and stop depending on our neighbours. The audience has to be tuned to watch real stories and well made quality dramas. Quality comes from the matter in the play not how slick the trailer looks. Pakistan was known for its dramas we have to reestablish the popularity of Pakistani dramas.

Do you criticize yourself when watching your own drama?

Oh yes! I am my biggest critic. Seriously I cannot even sit through to watch myself. When you watch yourself you think 'damn I could have done that a little like this or that' or 'I wish I wore that other shirt'. Too many little things bother you.

No actor feels they are perfect, the day you do and stop questioning, it is the end my friend.

You started with your career so early; did you get to complete your higher studies?

As we speak I am completing my BBA from CBM ( College of Business Management ) and then will get a degree in film making.

It is a must to finish your education. You learn so much about diversity and how things work around the world. The college experience really expands your mind. No matter what you do, you have to get a degree first. Oh and my dad is an educationalist band he would kill me if I did not complete my education. I have got to make my parents proud. Haha ...

If you had to choose between knowledge & fame. Which one would you choose & why?

Knowledge can bring you fame but fame cannot bring you knowledge.👏 Unless you become really rich and hire a professor to tutor you everyday.

There is no escaping the importance of knowledge. I know it is strange coming from an actor but no matter what job you do knowledge is the key to be the best at it. Fame is temporary but knowledge is forever. Hey nice one I can be remembered by this quote someday I like it.

Which do you prefer the most acting, modeling or hosting & why?

I really enjoy all but if I have to choose one it has to be acting. Acting challenges you physically mentally and emotionally. It makes one think and there is more diversity, depth and work involved. As they say variety is the spice of life so when you can play so many different people in so many different ways why not. Try it you'll like it. One daily dose of acting recommended by AK.

I enjoy acting, really it is my passion. I hope everyone enjoys watching me as much as I like performing for them.

While acting what kind of roles do you prefer doing?

I really prefer all kinds of roles. I said it before and I say it again variety is the spice of life (Just don't say that to your wife/girlfriend she'll kick you out. Please be careful)

I have played a taxi driver, an evil brother, a boxer, a rebel son, a husband and more. I have enjoyed them all. It is fun to go to work and pretend to be in someone else's shoes; just for a while. It makes one grow as a person.

When you become an actor you start to become more observant and notice things many people would overlook. To use these observations in your roles is pure fun. We play so many different roles in everyday life anyway then why not enjoy the diversity on screen as well.

Are you comfortable with criticism?

Don't even think about it. No way! Try it and I'm going to kill you. I am kidding!😆

I really think criticism is the key to growing as an actor. It is very constructive and makes you think how you can improve. It is a must for any actor. It is the audience that has to watch you and if they don't like something then they must say it. Just don't be too harsh yaar (buddy). I am sorry, please!

What is your big dream?

And the Oscar goes to.... Ali kazmi. Yeah!🤣

What did you say big dream! Really that (Oscar) is what I want. I also want to have a family of my own and just be the best at what I do. Basically I want it all!

Who or what has given you the greatest inspiration?

As cliche as it sounds it has to be my heroes Rahat and Sahira Kazmi (they happen to be my parents, by the way). They managed great careers and kept a great family life. They came, they conquered and they created me. To put it simply they're great and I love them.

Just to add on; in Bollywood Mr. Amitabh Bachan and in Hollywood Mr. Al Pacino.

Any plans to act in movies or going into production/ direction?

Well why not! As soon as some good directors come into this medium of Pakistani film and there are some. So maybe very soon I might be acting in movies too. I would love to do some jhatkas and matkas.

My dream is to make at least one big movie in Hollywood . InshaAllah! Production and direction in the future at least 10 years down the line. Right now it is all about being in front of the camera.

Any regrets so far?

None. MashAllah! God has been very kind.

Was there ever a time during your acting career you considered changing completely and doing something else?

Hmmm... Never during my acting career. But before I did at one point in my life I did think of becoming an engineer. Acting to me is truly fulfilling. Maybe some future script writers can read this and I can act as an engineer. Haha...

What do you think about the Pakistan Academy of Performing Arts? What advantages does the showbiz have?

I think it is a stroke of genius, a phenomenal idea. What we need in the industry are people with technique and skill. Basically trained professionals to come in and make a difference. With greats like Mr. Talat Hussain, Mr. Zia Moihiuddin, Mr. Arshad Mehmood, Mr. Rahat Kazmi and many more, teaching you the ropes. There is nothing better. Infact I am joining very soon. It is refreshing to see such an institute for the arts. All praise to them.

Up to now, you have done quite a few characters across many different serials; which character do you think was your favorite?

I don't really have a favourite because I still have a long way to go and many characters to play. For now my favourite would have to be the boxer I am about to play for a Tele film. It is a role I have trained hard for and I hope you all will enjoy it.

Of the people you have worked with on these shows, whom did you enjoy working the most with and learn the most from, etc?

Hmmm as a co star my favourite is Tooba Siddiqui because we get along well and have a blast every time we have worked together. We have created memorable scenes out of nothing.

I have had the privilege of working with Mr. Talat Hussain, Mr. and Mrs. Kazmi, Ms. Badr khaleel, Ms. Saba Parvez, Ms. Rubina Ashraf and Shakeel Sahib that taught me the proper technique used in acting like the angle at which to stand, not to speak to fast, blocking of a scene. The best part is that I have grown up in front of them. I mean they have seen me in diapers and so working with them is like a dream come true.

Putting aside the possibility of total miscasting what would be the ultimate role you'd like to play?

Ok there are two, The God father and Superman. I love them both and they're both tough to play. I have dreamt about it as a child and you never know maybe someday I might play them.

How different it is doing a family project, then working with others?

Honestly. I have grown up in the showbiz industry and so they are all my family. I feel at home in most productions.

Considering we did our first all family production "kaisay kahoon" the difference is just the fact that it doesn't feel like your working. It is just fun. The work gets done and you don't even realise it. Its comfortable and a blast. It is like being at home especially if your mom is the director (she is strict at both places).

This time my sister and I got to play siblings for the first time. It was amazing. Good fun to fight with your sister on and off screen. But I love my crazy sister.

People say that you are a look alike of Ali Zafar. Your comment?

Haha a good one! Ok the funny part is he is a good friend of mine and we never thought that we looked alike.

People think so all I can say is he is a big pop star and when people say I look like a big pop star then why not. Thanks Ali! Seriously he thinks he is better looking and I think I am. Haha... Ali you go brother. One day you will win a Grammy and I will win the Oscar and it won't matter if we look alike. 😆

What is your relationship with Anoushey Ashraf?

Oh deadly question. I have known her since we were thirteen and if there is some onscreen chemistry then good because I am an actor it's my job to create chemistry. Seriously we are good friends and had a smashing time working together. "kaisay kahoon" was her first play. She is a great VJ and a great girl. More power to you Ms. Ashraf.

What is fashion to you?

Fashion is what you make of it. Fashion is what you feel looks good and comfortable; it's all about your personal style. I have always felt that one should wear what one feels. Don't just go for the trends that are out there, make your own personal statement. It doesn't matter what you wear as long as you wear it with style. Try it!

Your favourite musician?

Internationally it is Dave Mathews band and locally it's the Mekaal Hassan band. Both amazing and a treat for your ears.

Any message for the readers!

Always keep love first. Always be true to yourself, follow your instincts. Keep smiling and enjoy life. Oh yeah! Keep watching! Lots of love A.K

I want to tell my family and a very special lady (my chothu) how much I love them and thank you for everything. Some special love for my jaan my nani!

cutestar thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Aijazz Aslam

I don't like to do just lead roles. I also love to perform roles in which I get a chance to display my acting skills

The handsomest guy of Pakistan Television with extraordinary acting skills€ whose name comes to your mind? You are absolutely right! I am talking about none other than the talented artist cum fashion designer Aijazz Aslam!

Endowed with great talent, Aijazz, who first appeared on television in a razor advertisement and debuted as an actor in the TV serial Kashkol as Roshu (Roshan), is currently working in the drama serial Koi To Ho as well as a comedy show Main Aur Tum. According to viewers' voting, Main Aur Tum is among one of the most popular shows on television. Aijazz, who gave such a brilliant performance in his first TV play Kashkol that people began to identify him with his character Roshu instead of his real name, wants to be a versatile artiste and prefers roles where he gets a wide scope for acting.

The smashing Aijazz is not only a talented actor but also an excellent fashion designer. He has brought fresh ideas with creative new styles in the world of fashion. This innovative star's business strategy is to keep on introducing new ideas in Pakistan and to always try and remain a step ahead of others.

- skip ad -

Excerpts from the interview

Tell us about your childhood. Were you a good student?
I was a bright student during my school days. I used to get good grades, but I was a little different from other kids and what distinguished me from them was my interest in showbiz. I have loved this field since as long as I can remember, but didn't ever think of adopting it as a profession.

How did you enter modelling?
I was offered a razor commercial. I did it and people liked it a lot. So then, I did various fashion shows. I worked with Imran Kureishi and Frieha Altaf. Later on Arshad Tareen gave me a chance to work as a model for his magazine Men's Club. I accepted his offer and got a fabulous response in return. I then decided to seriously adopt modelling as my profession.

Your first drama serial Kashkol vaulted you to super stardom. How did you feel?
I felt simply great. When Kashkol was offered to me, I was not interested in acting. But when I read the script and understood my character Roshu, I could not deny the proposal. I am grateful to renowned writer, Hameed Kashmiri, and the top of the line director, Nusrat Shaheen, who portrayed such a wonderful role for me which changed my life.

You are a professional fashion designer? Tell us about your fashion designing experience.
I have learnt the basics of fashion designing from the London School of Fashion. I embarked upon the fashion design business in a very humble manner and with meagre resources. I started this business with only one machine. Today, numerous workers earn a respectable livelihood in my stitching units. I design everything from A to Z. My speciality is men's wear. I have three boutiques in Karachi and one in Lahore. My designed items are widely used by artistes, who work in Pakistani television drama serials and in other related entertainment industries. My manufactured items, like boxer shorts, are very popular. I have tried to achieve excellence in sherwanis, too.

Do you have any plans to enhance your business?
Definitely. I have planned to launch a shoe company. I will try to introduce new concepts in footwear fashion and Insha Allah, I will be able to cater to the needs of my clients.

Your favourite co-star?
Talat Hussain is my all-time favourite co-star. His attitude is very nice towards his co-artists and he never lets his juniors feel uncomfortable in front of him, instead, he is always ready to co-operate with his colleagues. I have had the honour to work with him in my first play Kashkol. Ever since then, I have learnt a lot from him.

How has your life been with your family?
My family has been very supportive. It is only because of my family's love and encouragement that I have been able to manage both my acting career and fashion designing business simultaneously. I enjoy a great time with my family.

Your dream role, which you would like to portray?
I would like to play the role of a blind man. I am also eagerly waiting for my serial Kismat to be telecasted in which I have portrayed the role of a €˜psychic.€™ This role is quite different from the other characters I have performed. I don't like to do just lead roles. I also love to perform roles in which I get a chance to display my acting skills.

How do you prepare yourself to act in different plays?
It is important for an artiste to prepare himself or herself to play a particular role. All great actors are used to this practice. Following the footprints of my seniors, I also do a lot of homework for my roles. After fully understanding the requirements of my character, I research whatever I can to help me portray my character naturally. I pay attention to the getup, the hairstyle, my accent, my expressions, my walk €" everything. I explore a lot and work hard for my roles. That's why I look different in every play.

Any message you would like to convey to your friends.
I love all my fans. I think my greatest achievement is the love people have for me. Without my fans' love and appreciation I would not have been able to achieve this name and fame. I would like to advise all my fans who are interested in modelling or acting that they should adopt this profession only if they are passionate enough because it is not an easy job. To be successful in showbiz, one is required to go through a lot of struggle. Whatever you do, don't take it for granted, do it seriously and with complete devotion. If you don't enjoy what you do, quit and do something in which you'll enjoy being successful in your life
kalli thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Mohabbatan Sachian : coming soon!!!
Date: 2007-02-03

Mohabtaan Sachian' will definitely change the image of the Punjabi cinema in Pakistan in a very positive way. This was maintained by film producer and director Shehzad Rafique in an exclusive interview with Metro. Shehzad was leaving for Mumbai, India, where he said he would complete the background music of 'Mohabtaan…'. The editing and dubbing work of the film is already complete. When asked why India, Shehzad replied, "Well, if you want quality in your film's postproduction work, you ought to go abroad for that. Other countries are very expensive, so we opted for India." Shehzad revealed that 'Mohabtaan…' was a DTS film. It is produced by a US-based electrical engineer turned film maker Chaudhry Shafqat who, Shehzad said, had long had to face criticism on Pakistani movies. 'Mohabtaan…' will be released under the banner of 'Sound Vision Production' in May this year simultaneously in India, US, Canada, UK and Pakistan. Interestingly, this is going to be the first Pakistani Punjabi film whose songs have been recorded with Bollywood singers in India. Shehzad said that Wajahat Attrey had composed some great melodies for Sonu Nigam, Shreya Ghoshal, Sunidhi Chauhan and Richa Sharma. Riaz ur Rehman Saghar has penned the lyrics. The third-time director said that 'Mohabtaan…' was a love story made in Punjabi language that was without a 'gandasa' or 'lacha kurta'. "It's a film about the urban-based youth of today, and it must carry that flavour," he declared. "Since our hero and heroine play students, we shot a major chunk of the film in Azad Kashmir University. Besides, we shot extensively in Kotli, Mirpur, Kalam and Lahore." The film stars Veena Malik, Babrik Shah and newcomers Adnan Khan and Maria in the lead. Zahid Saleem, Rashid Mehmood, Ali Ejaz and Naghma Begum play supporting characters. The story concept is by veteran TV producer Ayub Khawar, while Pervez Kaleem has scripted the dialogues and screenplay. In reply to a query, Shehzad said that the image of Punjabi films had taken a beating over the last few decades, and the urban youth and families did not like to go to theatres for watching them. "Earlier, we used to make timeless movies like 'Heer Ranjha', 'Mirza Jutt' and 'Dil Laggi'. But, the Punjabi movies of today are mostly loud and rowdy. But, I can assure my audiences that there will be no such elements in 'Mohabtaan Sachian'." Shehzad said that he did not believe in quantity, rather he focused on quality. "That's why I have directed only one film in two years." He also made a fond mention of such legendary film directors of South East Asia as Yash Chopra, Gulzar, Majid Majidi and (the late) Nazrul Islam. It may be mentioned here that 'Mohabtaan…' is Shehzad's third directorial venture. His earlier films include 'Ghoonghat', 'Nikah', 'Rukhsti' and 'Salakhein'.

Edited by kalli - 17 years ago
kalli thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

FAREEHA PERVAIZ : UNMATCHED EXCELLENCE : STAR SINGER'S EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

uNmatched!!
Fareeha Pervaiz is arguably one of the best female singers Pakistan got in last decade.She has evolved her self from a simple play back singer to a singer who tried experimentation & got new heights of musical success.

Her switch-over from acting to singing, proved to be a fortunate and well calculated step for her career and she worked darn hard to get where she is today! Fariha enjoys being experimental and working with all types of music. "I want to be known as versatile singer, a delight for all. My music caters to a large group of audience from teenagers to the old, and I feel that it is extremely important for an artiste to be accepted by everyone," exclaims Fariha.

Across the border, it has always been Asha Bhoslay who inspired her to sing. Fariha has been very moved by the versatility of Asha since her child hood and has grown up listening to her. When asked about her local favourites she says, "Mehnaz and Nayyara Noor are singers I love to listen to. As far as skill is concerned I feel nobody compares to Sajjad Ali. He is simply too good at everything he chooses to create."

Up until the 90's our film industry was doing well and so was playback singing. But today our regional and national cinema is in a state of decline and Fariha feels that play back singing no longer has a future in Pakistan. "I have sung for very few movies and fortunately they all proved unprecedented hits. I sang around twenty songs for Urdu movies including Chief Saab, Shararat, Inteha and worked with many composers including, Amjad Boby. I was greatly appreciated by them for my soft and civilized tone and they always gave me the right kind of songs to compliment my talent. But as far as the future of play back singing is concerned I simply don't see it flourishing. The only option left is for us to once again bring back good cinema." concludes Fariha.

Today we see every other musician heading to India for the recording of their albums. But Fariha seems to be satisfied with the available recording facilities here. "I don't think that we lack any such facilities in Pakistan. In fact, once I played my CD in an Indian recording studio, and they were stunned by the quality of the sound and couldn't resist appreciating it. All of my albums have been recorded here and during recordings whatever I ask for is always provided for me," divulges Fariha and continues, "What I do feel we lack is the concept of having an orchestra. It's bad to see that our traditional musical instruments like 'sarood', 'sarungi', 'sattar' etc are becoming extinct. This is an issue which requires to be addressed without delay. It's good to see some institutions offering musical courses and training in traditional instruments; however the number of such institutions is few."

Talent, luck and PR are the three common phenomenas of the showbiz game. Besides having immense talent if an artiste doesn't get what he truly deserves it would either be the other two factors missing from the equation. On being asked about the role of her PR in her musical voyage she explains, "If I had worked solely on my PR then I would have been an internationally acclaimed star today. I believe that the respect and the sincerity that I have in abundance for music in addition to god's blessings have played the major part in making me what I am today."

These days music has become more visual rather than being a treat for the ears and soul. People seem to be more into spending a lion's share of their budget in making the videos for the songs instead of making the quality of the sound better. "I have never been able to fathom the reason as to why artistes are concentrating so much on minor things like shooting their videos at 35 mm, visual affects etc… since at the end of it all it's really the beat of the song that people actually relate to. A good song is a combination of many things; melody, lyrics, good choice of instruments and lastly the composition. I wonder how a high budgeted video would work in absence of all these essentialities" exclaims Fariha.

From classical to pop Fariha has tried everything and refuses to have a fixed image. If at one channel you find her singing a classical note like "yaad piya ki" then on the on the other channel you would find her wearing some western ensemble singing a pop number "hai thora thro piyaar thora thora darr". But wouldn't it be more convenient for her to be either a pop or a classical or just a play back singer. "I think that a versatile artiste benefits alot more than one who refuses to go beyond certain self drawn lines. I feel I can realate to a mixed audience easily as my songs are for everyone. An artiste's job is to entertain an audience and when one has flexibility they get a bigger fan following."

Hypocrisy and forming groups are not unusual in our music industry. There are certain people who refuse to let the new artistes have the space they need to establish their careers. "People here work for their vested interests," exclaims Fariha and continues, "But true talent cannot be suppressed no matter how biased people may be. Even in the music awards there is massive lobbying and the awards are being given on the personal choices of the people involved." Fariha has recently been awarded Best pop singer award 2006, by Indus Television. Another award she is quite excited about is Best Singer Award for the ballads. "The reason I'm ecstatic about receiving this particular award is that the jury was comprised of the living legends of our music industry namely, Arshad Mehmood, Nayyara Noor and Alamgir. For me getting my work acknowledged as the best, by these three, is a great honour. I would also like to thank all of my fans who support me and give me a reason to wok hard and have made me what I am today
as an artiste."

Interview courtesy : Social pages

Edited by kalli - 17 years ago