Chris Read (wk) c R Ponting b S Warne 3 17 0 0 17.65
Sajid Mahmood c A Gilchrist b G McGrath 0 9 0 0 0.00
Stephen Harmison c M Clarke b S Warne 7 12 1 0 58.33
Monty Panesar batting 0 5 0 0 0.00
Matthew Hoggard
Extras: w - 0, nb - 3, lb - 1, b - 2 6
Total: (146 for 8 in 70 overs) 146 Run Rate: 2.09
Fall of Wickets
1/23 (Alastair Cook, 10.5 ov.) , 2/44 (Ian Bell, 20.5 ov.) , 3/101 (Paul Collingwood, 45.6 ov.) , 4/101 (Andrew Strauss, 46.2 ov.) , 5/122 (Andrew Flintoff, 55.5 ov.) , 6/135 (Chris Read, 62.6 ov.) , 7/136 (Sajid Mahmood, 65.4 ov.) , 8/145 (Stephen Harmison, 68.2 ov.)
Bowling: Australia
Bowler O M R W nb wd ER
Brett Lee 13 4 36 2 2 0 2.8
Glenn McGrath 18 8 32 1 1 0 1.8
Stuart Clark 17 6 27 2 0 0 1.6
Andrew Symonds 7 2 17 0 0 0 2.4
Shane Warne 15 4 31 3 0 0 2.1
Go to top
THE TEAMS
AUSTRALIA: Justin Langer, Matthew Hayden, Ricky Ponting (c) , Mike Hussey, Michael Clarke, Andrew Symonds, Adam Gilchrist (w) , Shane Warne, Brett Lee, Stuart Clark, Glenn McGrath, Mitchell Johnson (sub) , Adam Voges (sub)

ENGLAND: Andrew Strauss, Alastair Cook, Ian Bell, Paul Collingwood, Kevin Pietersen, Andrew Flintoff (c) , Chris Read (w) , Sajid Mahmood, Matthew Hoggard, Stephen Harmison, Monty Panesar, Ed Joyce (sub) , Liam Plunkett (sub) , Geraint Jones (sub) , Ashley Giles (sub) , James Anderson (sub)
Edited by indian_masala - 17 years ago
deactivated thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Shoaib, Asif, Shabbir can give Pak best attack in world: Younis

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Karachi: Pakistan vice-captain Younis Khan today said the return of pacers Shoaib Akhtar, Mohammad Asif and Shabbir Ahmed to the national team would give them the strongest bowling attack in the world.

"We have some very good back-up bowling resources but after these three return I am sure our attack will top in the world, better than perhaps even Australia," Younis said. All three have proven records and could give Pakistan the decisive edge in any match, Younis said.

"All three are match winners and have good strike rates. To win matches against strong opponents you need to have a strong bowling attack," he said. Shoaib and Asif have been cleared of doping charges while Shabbir has returned after serving a one-year ban from the International Cricket Council for having an illegal bowling action.

Pakistan begin their tour of South Africa in early January and Younis said they had enough firepower to not only match the Proteas but be better than them. "But the bottom line is all of us have to perform as a team," added Younis, who is leading Peshawar Panthers in the domestic Twenty20 Cup competition semi-finals here.

Younis, who forms the backbone of the Pakistan batting with captain Inzamam-ul-Haq and Mohammad Yousuf, said the South Africa tour would be a good build-up to their World Cup preparations.

"Everyone is looking towards the World Cup and we are lucky we play our Test series first and then five one-dayers. If we play to our ability and perform well in South Africa it will be a big boost for the World Cup," he said.

kalli thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Arjumand Rahim: Exclusive Chit chat!!!

Arjumand is a talented TV and stage artist, with equal dedication to on and off screen work. She is a film maker as well as actor, with a passion for creating imaginative and original works that viewers and critics alike can enjoy.

In an exclusive interview, Arjumand talks about her acting career, film making, Pakistani film and TV, and more...

How would you introduce yourself to our readers – as a person as well as a media professional?

Well, I am a curious person and fairly open to new experiences and situations. I enjoy traveling and meeting new people and yet, I also have a strong homing instinct and enjoy being with my mother and dogs at home when I am not working. As a media person, I'd describe myself as lucky and someone who's consistently happened to be at the right place at the right time. I've been fortunate enough to partake of opportunities that came my way without too much active pursuit. I think that's also why my sense of humor is available to me in the workplace and it's perhaps easier for me to continue taking risks and thinking out of the box.

When did you start your acting career and what was the inspiration?

I started acting in 1995 with an Urdu theatre production. The positive feedback I received encouraged me to believe in myself and follow my heart despite the pressure of getting into an unstable profession. The inspiration was always there since acting is something I'd been doing all my life, throughout school and college. Theatre is still my first love and the medium I prefer over television but it's TV that's given me financial stability and allowed me to stick to my career choice in terms of acceptability and popularity.

Which of your acting projects do you like the most and why?

As I mentioned earlier, it's theatre and therefore stage plays that have given me the most satisfaction intrinsically. I particularly enjoyed playing 'Corrie Bratter' in "Barefoot in the Park" which was a play we staged in 1997. This was a Karachi Drama Circle Production. Another memorable project is a tele-film titled "Neeli Dhoop" which aired on PTV World in 1998. It was Bushra Ansari's first TV script and directed by her husband Iqbal Ansari. Neeli Dhoop was an emotionally charged experience and drove me to dig deeper within myself to discover real pain. I enjoyed the project as it challenged my skills and I got to work with a very exacting director.

You are also involved with film production – what can you tell us about your focus and interests in this area?

Film is an area I am not only passionate about but also trained in, and therefore one of the few trained professionals in Pakistan. It's a large and effective canvas with tremendous power and impact when used aptly. So far, owing to restricted budgets I've only worked on the digital format in Pakistan but tried to work with subjects most producers wouldn't touch due to their sensitive nature or lack of financial viability. I, however, believe that if you are honest and make a good film it'll sell despite its pre-supposed outcome. There will always be a market for truth; one just must have the guts to tell it. With my first film "Shahrukh Khan Ki Maut", we've already had showings to packed audiences during the Kara Film Festival in Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad. Recently the film was entered in the 3rd Eye South Asian Film Festival in Bombay and now it's also going to be screened at the upcoming Dubai International Film Festival in December 2006. Our second film is going to be world premiered in Kara this year. There are definite plans to cross over into the international market with our indigenous stories as I feel the international world is interested in our region. It is our responsibility now to show them what our country and people are about.

As an actor, what type of roles do you want to play?

Anything that's well thought out and mapped with sensitivity and care. Anything that's evocative. As an actor, it's my job to bring the writer's imagination to life.

You spent some time in Bollywood, working on a couple of film projects. How was the experience?

Well, it's true that I signed two films during my stint in Bombay but due to different reasons I couldn't complete either project. Upon hindsight, I am glad it didn't work out and my decisions, which seemed rash at the time, make a lot of sense today and have swung in my favor! I did act in theatre while I was there and my experience was wonderful. I found the process more professional, and the people more committed to their chosen professions.

What do you think of the Pakistani film industry? What is holding us back from producing films of international standards?

Education. Lack of it. That's what's holding us back. If the powers that be were more aware and read about the transitions internationally, we wouldn't be where we are today. Our commercial film industry is in the hands of petty minded small time thinkers and financers who don't have the ability to see a market beyond Pakistan.

What about Pakistani TV – we ourselves feel somewhat disappointed by the recent trend to follow a soap format, as opposed to the true "dramas" of the 70s and 80s. Are you satisfied with the quality and appeal of TV serials?

I agree that our standards have declined. But it's also not all bad either. The thing is we have far more choices today than the 70's and 80's which has raised the bar. Currently, with the plethora of independent channels available, we are going through a transition. There is some great work happening too but it goes by unnoticed or doesn't generate the hype it would have had it been aired 15 years ago. In a matter of 5 years from now a lot of sifting will have happened and I expect that Pakistan will emerge in the media in a much bigger way.

What are some of your most favorite and least favorite things in the world?

Favorites: My mother, my dogs Lyla and Samson, winter in Karachi, the beach, long walks with close friends, lazy Sundays, a great soul satisfying book…

Least Favorites: traffic jams in Karachi, bad driving on the roads, rampant foul language and raised voices, dishonesty in any form (lying, cheating etc.)

Any message for your fans reading this interview on The Saturday Post?

Do remain positive about Pakistan. It's still a country with immense potential waiting to be realized. It's also a fertile virgin territory to sow new seeds and plant new things unlike saturated economies in the West. Be proud of your identity and try to think of each of yourselves as an ambassador inspiring respect and admiration for where you originally come from. I for one, at least try

Interview courtesy : Saturday post

Edited by kalli - 17 years ago
kalli thumbnail

Abbas Aly Khan: Exclusive Interview

Abbas Aly Khan is a popular singer and musician in Pakistan. He also has his own animation studio by the name of Mystic Media.

Born in Karachi, Abbas was raised primarily in Pakistan. He is the great grandson of Pakistan's first Prime Minister Liaqat Ali Khan, but has chosen creative media and music as his field instead of politics. We can't say what he would have been like as a politician, but we can certainly say that he is an extremely talented singer and musician.

In an exclusive interview, Abbas talks about himself, his music, and more...

1. Let's start with getting to know you as a person…what would you like to tell our readers about your family, where you grew up, schooling, etc.?

Well as a person I am very docile and unsocial, don't have many friends; I like to be alone most of the time. I have an elder brother and a younger sister; I'm married and have a daughter who is just two months old. I was born in Karachi and grew up in Islamabad.

2. When did you start your professional music career and what was your biggest inspiration to enter this field?

I have been in the industry for the last 10 years now; struggling, playing with different underground bands as a keyboardist. My biggest inspiration has always been the great R.D. Burman. I also look up to Adnan Sami Khan when it comes to soulful compositions and intelligent arrangement.

3. You have an amazing voice – have you had professional training or is this a natural gift?

I have taken professional training in eastern classical music vocals and ragas from Ustad Fateh Ali Khan of the famous Patiala Gharana.

4. What made you decide to go solo, rather than form a band? Do you feel like you made the right decision or would you consider teaming up with other musicians in the future?

I think I made the right decision. It's really hard to find people who all think alike musically and if you are lucky enough to find them, their priorities are different! I have played with a lot of bands as a keyboardist but bands tend to breakup and all the input you have given goes down the drain; you have to take a new start every time. For me solo works! However I have a lot of talented musician friends who help me with different things, such as Ahsan who also plays guitars in an upcoming band called "Siege"; Sarmad Ghafoor of "Rungg"; and Asad Kamal, etc. I would love to team up with anybody who is talented but not under a band name; it will rather be a project.

5. Who does the musical composition and lyric writing for you? Is it all you?

Yes, it's mostly me; not because I want to take credit for everything, but I feel lyrically only I can explain what's inside me or somebody who knows me really well. Like my mother, who also writes for me. On the current album I have composed eight songs: "Sun Re" is my Ustaad's composition and Na Jane Kyun is Ahsan of "Siege".

6. Your album "Humsafar" did not have as much hype as "Sun Re". What made the difference?

I think Humsafar was a great album how ever it didn't really get to the listeners properly because of the bad distribution and promotion. So I uploaded the songs on different websites and got great response from people.
7. Your videos for songs from Sun Re have been admired a lot. Were these your own concepts and productions?

It was Shehryar Hydri's concept who directed the video. Shehryar also worked with me at the animation house that I'm running, so we mutually developed the theme. We always wanted to do something on clowns and Sun Re was the perfect song. Later on Tariq Amin also gave a lot of input in the concept.

8. Why isn't the unplugged version of Aa Zara longer? You've sung it beautifully and frankly, we like it even more than the full version. Any chance you'd do an unplugged version of the full song?

The idea of Aa Zara unplugged wasn't really there in the beginning. When the album was about to go into print, the guys from my label told me that we have some space left on the tape that needs to be filled. I was in Karachi at that time so I went to a studio with Ahsan and recorded a small unplugged piece for Aa Zara along with him. The whole session went on for only half and hour. Yes I also feel that it came out really nice. Better than the original version?? Well that's subject to what kind of music one is into, but the unplugged is surely more intimate. I will surely complete it and also do a video for it.

9. What are your hobbies and interests other than music?

My daily work is my hobby too. I'm into animation: motion graphics and visual effects. I have my own animation house by the name of Mystic Media (www.mystic-media.tv)

10. Is there any charitable cause or social issue that is really close to your heart, which you would like your fans to think about?

I would love do something for children who need help in anyway, but don't want to exploit it in order to gain fame like many others are doing. Whatever I do will be silent.

11. Can we hope to see you in the US or Canada any time soon?

I can't say when but Insha Allah very soon.

Interview courtesy : saturday post

cutestar thumbnail
Sonia Khan

The petite and charming Sonya Khan started off as a model, later becoming an anchor person and then graduated to acting. She was going great guns in her career when she suddenly disappeared for a year or so, giving rise to a lot of speculation.

Why the lean phase? "I disappeared for a few years because of personal reasons. I was not in Pakistan and had gone to the USA to live with my sister. I wanted a break from work and people, and to spend some time with myself. Aap ko kissi cheez se strings katnay hoon to it's best to run away from it," says Sonya today.

Sounds more like a matter of the heart rather than time-out. While her affair with the bhangra boy was well known at the time, recently came the news of her alleged relationship with another moon-faced crooner.

With a look of genuine surprise, she says, "Affairs? How many? I was seeing someone for a couple of years but he has moved on with his life and so have I. This new alleged affair is something really funny as we are just-a-call-away friends and nothing else. When I start seeing someone I will not hide it."

In a male-dominated entertainment industry like ours it is said that for a single actress to survive in showbiz it is essential to attach her name with a man's. "I have always been single and if it's imperative to do it in order to get work then I don't need it.

I am very happy the way I am living my life right now. I am focused on a couple of things and I think getting into relationships and that, too, with the wrong person can make your life a living hell. Maybe it is important for people who need exposure and want to be embroiled in controversy. I have never cut such a figure and never will."

Shifting the focus from Sonya's personal to professional life, was her comeback easy and more importantly, how does it feel to be second-time lucky? Her eyes light up like fireworks as she discusses her comeback. "It is very difficult to create your place again as I have experienced it, so I know what it takes to start all over again.

At the time I left I was doing pretty well in modelling and had a few acting assignments as well. When I got back, people said things like 'we thought you would never come back again'. I am thankful to the Almighty that my second go at showbiz has been even better than the first. The truth is I have worked hard to be where I am today.

I didn't have to go around asking for work. I just told them I was back. Everything happens for a reason and I am happy with the way things are right now. I would not say that I have made it big but I am in the process of getting there," she says with a smile.

Work is now at the top of Sonya's priority list who can be seen hosting the celebrity chat show, Sonya's Lounge. "I'm busy with three other projects — two soaps Jo Baat Ghar Mein Hai and Sultanat and as the host of a challenging programme called Power Trip.

With the showbiz lot you kind of know everybody inside out so for me it's very easy to interview them. But in Power Trip, it's difficult to sit in front of people who have made remarkable achievements in life and are successful in their respective fields."

With the opening up of cross-border media every other actor is jumping on the Indian bandwagon be it film or television. Does Sonya have any plans of hopping across the LoC? "I'm not interested right now and I have refused offers. Indian plays are basically soaps and the reason for my refusal arises from the fact that these soaps require a lot of time.

That means you pack your bags and go settle down in Bombay. But that again means putting things on hold here. If things eventually work out then great, but if they don't then I'm dead. I have a life here I have my friends and my family. I can't just leave things because I have to go work in India. On the other hand, if it's a short Pakistan-Indian collaboration then I'm definitely on."

'I think getting into relationships and that, too, with the wrong person can make your life a living hell. Maybe it's important for people who need exposure and want to be embroiled in controversy. I have never cut such a figure and I never will,' says Sonya

So does it mean no to films as well? "I'm not the fimli type but then again every film doesn't fall into the commercial category. I know how to find my way about and not do anything that will displease my family. But yes, if there is a tempting offer then maybe I'll go for it."

As for Sonya's future plans, she says she has a couple of major things lined up which she doesn't want to disclose right now. "I might take up production rather than direction as I don't have the stamina to become a director.

Secondly, I'm a very short-tempered person. I blow up my fuse just like that (she snaps her fingers). At the moment, I have my hands full with acting. Also, there are always a lot of things waiting to happen so one should know how to go about them," says Sonya.
deactivated thumbnail

Pathan to play Ranji matches

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Baroda: Irfan Pathan is back to basics. He will be playing two Ranji Trophy matches beginning from Tuesday in an effort to find form before the World Cup.

Irfan was dropped from the Test side and sent back from South Africa by the team management to get some match practice. For the next few days he will be seen on his home turf, with his home team Baroda, trying to find form.

He will be one of the biggest draws when Baroda take on UP in the Ranji super league tie from Tuesday. However, he isn't the only senior team member. For Mohammed Kaif and Suresh Raina, who had miserable outings in South Africa during one dayers, this will be a useful exercise.

However, some fail to see the logic in Irfan being sent back to domestic cricket. "It might affect him psychologically," said Ashok Mankad, Coach, Baroda team.

However, the selectors feel that Irfan needs to bowl longer spells to get in shape for the World Cup. The Baroda seamer has lost his swing and struggled with his rhythm.

No wonder then that the former Chairman of selectors feels that this is the perfect opportunity for him. "I think Irfan may have been counselled before being sent back this will do him good," said Kiran More, Secretary, Baroda Cricket Association.

deactivated thumbnail
Dravid slips out of top five batsmen in Test rankings

Monday, January 01, 2007

Dubai: Indian captain Rahul Dravid slipped three spots to lose his place among the top five Test batsmen in the LG ICC rankings following his string of poor scores in the ongoing Test series against South Africa. Dravid, who has scored just 49 runs at an average of 12.25 in the series so far, is at seventh spot.

Sri Lanka's Kumar Sangakkara and Australian duo of Matthew Hayden and Michael Hussey have overtaken Dravid on the ranking ladder.

Hayden, who scored a fine 153 in the fourth Ashes Test against England, moved four places to be at sixth position. Hussey has reached his highest ranking to date, up one place to fourth.

Australian captain Ricky Ponting is starting 2007 at the top, followed by Pakistan batsman Mohammed Yousuf and Kevin Pietersen of England.

Australian legends Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne, who have announced their retirement, hold onto the third and fourth spots respectively among the bowlers.

Following his five-wicket haul on the final day of the second Test against India, South African paceman Makhaya Ntini has achieved his highest-ever rating points and has strengthened his second position behind Sri Lankan spinner Muttiah Muralitharan.

India's S Sreesanth has moved into the top 30 among Test bowlers for the first time with another good performance in Durban.

Shaun Pollock has moved up one place, past New Zealander Daniel Vettori, into third position among Test all-rounders. The list is still headed by Jacques Kallis of South Africa whereas England's Andrew Flintoff is at third place.

kalli thumbnail

MAJAJAN

* ing: Saima, Shaan, Madiha Shah, Shafqat Cheema.

Director: Syed Noor

Producer: Saima

Majajan' a man's eternal love for a woman, ahead of 'Taj Mahal' in Pakistan a fit challenge

Syed Noor's much awaited Punjabi language film Majajan is finally released in almost all Pakistani Cinemas. The showman had cancelled the release earlier for almost three times — once due to the October 8 earthquake, then the Pak-India Test series and most recently Eid-ul-Azha — adding to the hype of the film and testing the patience of Pakistani cine-goers.

With the all-Pakistan premier of the Sonia Jahan starrer Taj Mahal just around the corner (April 28), Syed Noor had no option but to release Majajan right away and with not much publicity. Although a local TV channel is promoting the film, if done earlier it certainly would have helped get more people to the cinema who still remember Syed Noor and Saima from Choorian — the biggest Punjabi grosser of present times.

Majajan is expected to face tough competition from Taj Mahal, but as one who is quite familiar with Syed Noor's brand of cinema, this writer thinks that we might already have a winner on our hands. If the latter is a monument of a man's eternal love for a woman, Majajan doesn't fall short on this count either.

Syed Noor has been romantically linked with Saima for years and it is probably the oldest talk around tinsel town that she has been his heroine in more than a dozen films so far. So when Saima decided to launch her first film as a producer, it was all but natural that she chose Noor to direct it. The story is by Rukhsana Noor for who else could write it better than she?

Shaan plays Zille Shah, an unhappily married man belonging to the revered Syed clan who falls in love with a courtesan, Taari (Saima), when she performs in his village. His wife (Madiha Shah) and family straightaway condemn the budding relationship, thereby leading to a conflict that keeps the audience entertained for three hours straight.

Majajan took almost two years to complete and it was rumoured that it was the Punjabi version of Devdas. Zille Shah is shown as a drunkard, dressed in white and looking very much like Devdas' character. He is a man trapped in the feudal system but who revolts against it to win the love of his life. If Majajan resembles any Indian film, it could only be Silsila which cashed in on the hype of Amitabh Bachchan and Rekha's love affair when he was married to Jaya Bhaduri as the characters on screen spoke the language that people couldn't hear off screen. Majajan has not been marketed or presented that way but the characters on screen are rather close to real people. For the film, Syed Noor has not only provided his directorial skills but has also written the screenplay and dialogue. So when Madiha Shah refers to Shaan as Shahji, telling him that she will not accept his affair with Saima, one can guess who's talking here; also when Shaan turns around and says that falling in love with Saima is his heart's doing.

Majajan has broken record for Lollywood, the set by Reema Khan's Koi Tuj Sa Kahan a year before. Majajan earned one lac 28 thousand rupees while its nearest competitor Koi Tuj Sa Kahan earned one lac 11 thousand rupees on the first day at cinemas. "Majajan has termed out to be oxygen for the Pakistani film industry," said Syed Noor, director of Majajan

wini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Shifting sands
Instep takes a brief look at Raeth -- the youngest music sensation making waves in Pakistan and across the border
By Maheen Sabeeh

Rewind to the past
A few months ago, a song aired on television by the name 'Bhula Do' by a then unknown band calling themselves Raeth. The video was nothing to write home about. It was another performance-based video that showed a band performing and chilling with friends. The song however, was a different story altogether. It was another pop/rock number coming out of the scene but it worked because of its simplicity. It's also a melodic number, not groundbreaking by any means but one of those annoyingly addictive tracks that stuck to your head. This was the beginning of Raeth - a boy band that struck gold with just one video.

A little while after 'Bhula Do' aired in Pakistan, it was picked up by Indian music channels and was fighting hard against names like Euphoria, Kailash Kher and other Indi pop artists in the countdown. It was an unprecedented hit. And it was all a stroke of luck...

Who are they?
Raeth is the brainchild of Wajhi Farouqui, (Vocals), Farabi Hasan, (Lead Guitars) and Mustafa Asad (Bass). This is perhaps one of the youngest bands in Pakistan with Wajhi being 21, Mustafa, 20 and Farabi only 18-years old.

All three guys have been interested in music since childhood. If Wajhi was winning singing competitions, Farabi was winning inter-school guitar competitions. Both Wajhi and Farabi were jamming and doing cover songs roughly two years back but it hit them that covers weren't their style. "We wanted to do original stuff," says Farabi. Then, they came across Mustafa and decided to form a band. With the help of their session drummer, Alfred D'Mello, Raeth met Kashan Admani (Mizmaar fame).

Kashan Admani is the CEO of Dream Station Productions – a production house that produces music and is working towards promoting new talent. Interestingly, not only did Kashan produce their self-titled debut album but he also landed them a record deal in India. "I have tied up with Universal Music. The idea is to promote music all over the world and Universal can help us achieve that. Once these guys came in, I sent three of their songs to India to Universal. They were very impressed and decided to release their album." Kashan changed a few things around in their songs and provided this young band with the expertise that one requires in producing an album. The rest as they say is history. Raeth's album has been released in Pakistan and simultaneously saw a release in India, USA and the Middle East through Universal.

The next step
In order to survive in the music industry, the ability of performing live is a must. Fortunately, Raeth has that quality. At their album launch, these guys performed to a packed house and even though they were playing unplugged, they managed to captivate the audience to such an extent that 'Bhula Do' was performed twice.

Even as Raeth is doing very well for itself, there is skepticism in people's minds. Rungg's debut single, 'Hum Na' was an absolute hit but once the hype died down and the album released, it didn't hit the market hard. The only question remains: with so many new bands doing the same kind of music, will this album work? "We've done the best we can and so far, our album is on top in Pakistan and India," says Farabi. Whether their album has what it takes to be as big as Call or Jal remains to be seen but just for now, Raeth it seems has arrived and what an arrival it has been!

--Watch this space for a complete review

cutestar thumbnail
MEHREEN RAHEEM : SWEET MELODY IN TUNES : DEBUT SINGER'S EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
sHe says it ALL!
Hi this is Mehreen Raheem, first of all thanks to ALLAH almighty for making this album launch possible for me. I would also like to thanks my parents, without their prayers, trust, rock solid belief in me I could never be able to be what I am today.

My sister MANA and my parents supported me on every step towards my album completion. I€™m very thankful to my whole family for lending their time and spirit for my album tracks. Personally, I don€™t think of myself as a style icon. It€™s basically because the public loves me so much.

Its God€™s blessing and their loyal support that I m where I m today. I think relation between Pakistan and India are improving day by day. It was great fun working with Iqbal Khan in my first title song€™s video. He is quite popular in Pakistan and I choose him because his personality suits the character in my song. When Iqbal heard that I€™m from Pakistan, he was even more knee to my video.

When asked about his character and the mood of the song, he said, €œMehreen has a great voice and is a really fabulous person and the song is very catchy. I play a guy who is best friends with another chap in the video. We have lots of fun and kid around. €œTalking about the opening of opportunities following the easing of relations between the to neighbors, there is a lot of room for improvement for both the Pakistanis and Indians. €œHowever, though the Indians have strong musical traditions, they still have a long way to go in contemporary pop music, something in which €˜we€™ Pakistanis are very good at. €

Indians also give more reverence to artistes, and they treasured and idolized me during my visit there. €œWorking with anyone who is bigger than you is a learning experience. I mean, he might not be Steven Spielberg, but Mahesh Bhatt is pretty big in his own industry. That€™s why I m giving him my song 4 his film. Well, I really enjoyed recording there. India is a very rocking place. My songs are becoming hits in Pakistan and India and the people there really like my music. My new video will com out soon. It€™s going to be a surprise for everyone. Well, as a pop artist, I think it is my duty to available 24/7 for all the people, not only for my fans. You shouldn€™t treat me as a pop icon because I m a normal human being and it is my duty to help every one in need. I can help by sending message to my fans to become better citizens and human beings. Pakistan is a big country and we have to work together. Some artists have proud attitude and they don€™t work with others for the welfare of the country. I believe we have to collaborate work towards people as a force. We should try to create awareness among people. We should educate them. For instance, Shehzad Roy is doing a great job. Other singers and bands should take inspiration from those who try to help others. Such acts of kindness and charity really make a difference in today€™s society.

My message for my fans!
"Keep rocking€enjoy every bit of your life. Keep growing€never get disappointed. Highs and lows are a part of life. Keep trying to achieve your goal in life."

Check out my first exclusive interview on the super hit site of pakistan ..showbizhungama.com and get all the things you wanted to know about me and my career!!!

1) Date of birth n star.also tell us about uself?

Ans:- 14-Fabruary, Aquarius. Well I€™m a simple person who belives in being uncomplicated and straight forward and I expect to find the same in everything and everyone I come across.

2) When did you start ur career?

Ans:- Well I started my career 4 years back while I was studing. I began singing on stage and that gave me a lot of confidence.

3) tell us about your debut album?

Ans:- Tuioi Ean is my Album€™s Name it means (Only You). In which I have sung 10 songs, 5 are in Urdu & 5 are in Punjabi, a national song and a Humd.

4) whats the response of ur video of the song ?

Ans:- I€™ve gotten 100% feedback of my song and song€™s video. I€™ve always belived in myself (and still do) since the very beginning. I know that somehow I€™m going to make it big one day. However, after the release of €œTuioi Ean€ things did move at a rather surprisingly swift pace.

5) How would you define the responsibilities of a pop singer in today€™s world of music?

Ans:- It is a gross. I agree that curiosity leads an artist to attempt some original things but unless u€™ve good Ustads and a family that analyses ur work critically, doing so can be dangerous. That said, I€™ve indeed experimented with my voice coz I€™m a student of the voice. It is a fact that the quality and nature of women€™s voice change with age, so one should be attuned to adjustments. The same does not apply for men.

6) Your favorite singers?

Ans:- Noor-Jahan & Lata G.

7) Your favorite celebrities?

Ans:- Shahrukh Khan.

8) Ur assets of life?

Ans:- My Family.

9) Fav food?

Ans:- Chicken Karhai.

10) Your favorite time of the day & why?

Ans:- Early Morning coz its beautiful.

11) Tell us about the best songs of ur album u like the most?

Ans:- Dil ye Dil & Sapno k Raja.

12) What is the mantra for a successful singer?

Ans:- There is increasing demand for pop singers. Today, If u want to include Punjabi, urdu, melodious and sober songs in ur Album, chances are that u€™ll be thrown out of the project.

13) Your favorite movie actors/actresses?

Ans:- Vivah & Dil wale dulhaniya le jain gey/ Shahrukh Khan/ Madhuri Dixet.

14) Ur all time favorite song?

Ans:- Chura liya hai tum ney jo dil ko nazar nahi churana sanam.

15) How do you update yourself to carry out your day-to-day job?

Ans:- you cant call me very social, in fact I€™m not social at all coz I really feel socializing is not my cup of tea. I can listen to all kinds of people, take in their views, guard their secrets but when it comes down to my very own self, I can€™t share my feelings with a person better then I do it with my music.

16) Ur best friend in life?

Ans:- My MOM.

17) Three things u never forget to take with u while going out?

Ans:- My Mom€™s prayers , Mobile and Purse.

18) Ur passions in life?

Ans:- I want to become a top pop singer.

19) Which is that one personality without whom u can€™t live?

Ans:- well my whole family, specially my MOM.

20) Which TV shows u enjoy watching?

Ans:- Musical shows.

21) Ur all time fav movie?

Ans:- Dil waley dulhaniya le jain gey.

22) the best compliment you have ever received?

Ans:- You€™re such a nice person and u€™ve gotten such a sweet voice.

23) Define Ur self in THREE words

Ans:- Loving, Caring and Straight forward.

24) what is the best thing about being famous?

Ans:- Thankfully ALLAH has bestowed me with a strong voice and I see no reason why I should not make use of it. I do belive in making people happy and spreading smiles around.

25) Any message for Ur fans/listeners?

Ans:- I love u all, and just be there with me and for me always. Be happy in ur life don€™t sad.

26) What€™s Ur opinion about showbizhungama.com?

Ans:- It is a surprise for everyone coz it€™s a cooooooooooollllllllll site. Showbizhungama.com NAAM HE KAFI HAI.

27) Ur education?

Ans:- M.A. URDU.

28) what is your idea of a perfect day ?

Ans:- often prayer of 5 times and finished some important work, and that is definitely what counts most at the end of the day!

29) When u meet someone for the first time which thing u observe the most?

Ans:- The way of talking, nature and personality.

30) Ur favorite perfume?

Ans:- HOT & EAU DE Perfume.

31) What is your strongest point and weakest point?

Ans:- well strongest point!!! I identify myself a lot with water, Like water I€™m very adaptable and fit in easily in whatever surroundings I€™m put into; and may be that was the subconscious reason behind my first album being titled as €œTuioi Ean€. Weakest is nothing.

32) Do you read?? What kind of books do you like?

Ans:- Yes, True Stories.

33) Whom do u love most in world........... beside Ur mom and dad

Ans:- My Youngest Brother.

34) Whom do u attribute ur success to ?

Ans:- My family is very supportive of me. Without my parents prayers, Trust, Rock solid belief in me I could never be able to be what I€™m today.

35) love for u is €?

Ans:- Love is Life.

36) three people you really admire are..?

Ans:- My MOM, DAD and my sister MANA.

37) What are the plans you have in mind for future

Ans:- shhhhhhhhhhhhh IT€™S A BIG SECRET!!!!!!!

38) ur craziest fan?

Ans:- MANYYYYYyy kis kis ka name loon???????

MEHREEN RAHEEM'S EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW TAKEN BY DR EIJAZ WARIS FOR SHOWBIZHUNGAMA.COM ( DECEMBER 2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED )

Spot Light Celebrity Snaps