Views

Users

Frequent Posters

deactivated thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Interview: Director Jamil Dehlavi - A man of images

------------------------------------------------------------

Jamil Dehlavi is a man of images, not words. Shy, unassuming, soft-spoken, a trifle disheveled and often at a loss for words, he is ill at ease speaking into a dictaphone and even more so in front of a camera. But that's because he has always been behind the camera, conjuring images, imagining them, using words to weave them into scripts, and using the camera to capture them on celluloid.

"I based the entire film on that one image," he tells a member of the audience for Infinite Justice during the Q&A after the screening of the film. He has recently completed the film which is more than 'loosely based' on the case of Daniel Pearl, the American Jewish reporter of The Wall Street Journal who was taken hostage while in pursuit of a story about terrorist networks, and killed by his captors in Pakistan. While the story draws inspiration from Daniel Pearl, Dehlavi has fictionalised the characters.

The print journalist Daniel Pearl has become Jewish American TV reporter, Arnold Silverman, of the Associated Broadcast News Network. The image in question is not a pleasant one. It is the image of Silverman's severed head, the same fate that Pearl met at the hands of his captors.

"The whole film was built around that image," says Dehlavi. "It's a shocking image, but a terribly important one." Does he have a taste for the macabre? It's a question that takes him by surprise, flustering him more than he is already at being interviewed and photographed simultaneously.

His fascination for the ghoulish and grisly is to be seen in other films. In Born of Fire, which Dehlavi made in 1983, an eclipse is represented by the shadow of a skull falling on the sun. While one critic has described Born of Fire as "an Islamic horror film", a viewer appreciating the powerful symbology of its imagery says, "The cinematography of this film is so gorgeous you could watch it with the sound off."

"You make it sound as if I make Dracula films!" Dehlavi complains good-naturedly, his light eyes suddenly animated. Defending Born of Fire, Dehlavi says it has no blood and gore but is a surreal fantasy. Another film which he partly produced, Passion in the Desert, has some gory scenes of battle and another scene with the disturbing sounds of a leopard eating a man. Dehlavi argues that Passion in the Desert is not his story. He merely produced part of it, the part that was filmed in Jordan.

Another dominant feature of Dehlavi's work is his interest in spiritual or religious themes. In Blood of Hussain, Dehlavi chose to set the story of Prophet Mohammad's (peace be upon him) martyred grandsons in Pakistan in the 1970s where two brothers challenge the might of a military dictator, one opportunistically while the other, prophesied to lead the masses to a better life, chooses a more direct but perilous path.

Immaculate Conception, also set in 1980s Pakistan, explores the phony spirituality of the sufi shrine culture. A childless American woman seeks divine intervention to become pregnant at a shrine run by a transvestite in Karachi. In Passover, which Dehlavi describes as a Flamenco passion play, a Spaniard is crucified.

Dehlavi explains his inclination towards spiritual subjects as something to do with images. "Religion is a very interesting subject, a very visual subject," he says. "There are a lot of images in religion. I'm attracted to it because I use those images in my films."

Although Dehlavi's films are mostly in and about Pakistan, they are little known here. In fact, I was only able to find Immaculate Conception in a local DVD store. Interestingly, the cover for the DVD carries the design for Madonna's Immaculate Collection. Hence Dehlavi's complete and utter disbelief when the organisers at Kara told him the press wanted to interview him. But he has underestimated the power of his own images, especially the ones that went into the biopic Jinnah.

Although he doesn't consider himself a political film-maker, Jamil Dehlavi says he pays 'much more attention to current affairs since 9/11.' But what he has mastered, meanwhile, is guerrilla tactics — in film-making, that is. 'I'm a guerrilla film-maker because I know how to make films look bigger than they are,' he says

The film is his best known work, but perhaps for the wrong reasons. Nevertheless, it has made Dehlavi a household name in Pakistan. He is defensive about Jinnah, and insists that it was not a film on the defensive. "I never thought of Jinnah as an answer to Gandhi," says Dehlavi. He feels the film "stands on its own". Uncomfortable with parallels to Richard Attenborough's Gandhi and considering that the film was made on a sum of money which barely equaled Gandhi's make-up or costume budget, Dehlavi says that "it certainly matches up to Gandhi." Gandhi's eight Oscar nominations notwithstanding, of course.

But perhaps he has a point when he elucidates that Jinnah had absolutely no marketing campaigns behind it. Gandhi, on the contrary, had India's marketing might solidly promoting it.

The politics of film marketing may not be his forte, but politics — both domestic and international — is another subject to be found in Dehlavi's work. Immaculate Conception has, as its backdrop, Pakistan's return to democracy with images of Benazir Bhutto, Nawaz Sharif and Altaf Hussain running their election campaigns in 1988. The Blood of Hussain is set in a period of martial law, something that didn't go down too well with General Ziaul Haq. Infinite Justice takes Dehlavi's dabbling in politics to another level, delving into international politics, post 9/11.

"I was in London when I saw images of 9/11. My reaction was, 'it serves them right!'" Not that he condones terrorism, or was happy that innocent lives were lost. "It politicised me," he admits. "I immediately knew what camp I was in, the Muslim camp, and I wanted to show some of those grey areas." In the stark, black and white, 'with us or against us' post 9/11 world, Dehlavi's Infinite Justice is definitely not black and white. It is not grey either, though. In fact, it can safely be described as colourfully imagined.

Having made up a lot of 'facts' about the so-called international Islamist extremist groups depicted in the film, and the facts in the Daniel Pearl case, Dehlavi is once again dabbling in the mythical and fantastical. His theory on 'who killed Daniel Pearl?' is rather hard to digest but Dehlavi keeps the viewer's interest in the rapidly unfolding plot of the film.

And here again, we see the images — not grisly but definitely disturbing. Images of people signaling for help from the twin towers; the haunting image of the man who chose to jump to his death to avoid a fiery finale.

Although he doesn't consider himself a political film-maker, he says he pays "much more attention to current affairs since 9/11." But what he has mastered meanwhile, is guerrilla tactics — in film-making, that is. "I'm a guerrilla film-maker because I know how to make films look bigger than they are," he confesses. His instinctive advice to independent film-makers, though, is to "find another profession". He realises that he must be less flippant and more responsible since he is revered by aspiring independent film-makers who have even fewer opportunities in Pakistan. But his advice, unlike the fantasy world of his films, remains realistic: "Don't expect to make money. Find your happiness in making movies."
Edited by indian_masala - 17 years ago
deactivated thumbnail

Interview: "Junoon is Dead. Long Live Music!" - Ali Azmat

A band is dead. Long live music!

After a decade of being disillusioned, first with Junoon for selling out to MNCs before dying as a band and then ripping into Ali Azmat for his frequent commercials NFP finally met up with Pakistan's original rock star and got the view from the other side...

Clocks

The last time I met Ali Azmat was back in 2000. So he made it a point to tell his audience (in his hyperactive talk show, Pappu Yaar), that "the moment Junoon got signed by Coke, this guy stopped meeting me."

The truth is that the whole idea of a band like Junoon falling prey to unabashed corporate dictates so easily did play a detrimental role, but it wasn't just Coke that broke my "ideological" link with Junoon. A link cultivated in 1991 to bring a sense of protest and some good old fashioned rebellion in the foundation of the Pakistani rock and pop scene. At least this is how Salman Ahmed and I looked at things during the many frantic meetings we had during those initial years of the volatile band. Well, it was all groovy until 1999. Because to me Junoon died as soon as fond memories of the band's last great album, Parvaaz (1999), faded into the worn-out Sufi-rock indulgence of Ishq (2001) and eventually culminated in the dreadful, Deewar (2004).

After 1999, it was apparent Salman Ahmed's ever-changing ideological leanings (or rather, their withering away at the earliest call of the mighty cola), were tiring out whatever creative and ideological steam was left in the band. Junoon had started its decisive slip into becoming nothing more than a cynical, Cola-rich cash cow. Increasingly, the band seemed to look and behave like a sad, bloated parody of its past glory.

However, it was good to see Ali Azmat rebound with all of his obvious talents intact on his debut solo effort, Social Circus (2005). It was even better meeting him after all these years and getting into a long talk akin to the ones I used to have with him so many years ago.

Alive he cried

Ali hasn't changed. He still comes across as the pure hearted, big-mouthed teen I first encountered in 1990. The only difference is that his jumpy presence and that unabashed penchant to play out his thoughts and emotions like an energetic, unrestrained jester are now tinged with a slight but obvious strain of all-round skepticism.

I told him how when I wrote about the eventuality of Junoon's break up in 2004, many of the band's hardcore fans fired a series of non-stop emails, calling me all sorts of things. Even early last year while talking to a local weekly, Salman Ahmed rubbished my claim (that Junoon have disbanded), telling the interviewer "NFP can dream on."

Therefore, I asked Ali whether he would like to go on record explaining me the real status of the band today.

"Gladly," he said. "It (Junoon) is over. It is gone. It's history!"

But I told him, Salman Ahmed thinks otherwise.

"Of course he does," he said. "Junoon became a cash cow. Nobody wants to let go of a cash cow."

NFP: When did you tell Salman about your intentions to quit Junoon?

Ali: It was pretty apparent when we were recording Deewar. All we did was argue. Later on, we stopped talking at all. Even during concerts, we were not seeing eye to eye. That's when I realized Junoon had reached its limits.

NFP: Is that why Salman had to sing on a few songs on Deewar?

Ali: He was dying to sing them. And worse of all, it became very embarrassing when he started to sing these songs on stage during concerts. Allllvidaaaahhh... (Impersonates Salman singing).

NFP: I remember back in 1992 while I was with you guys in Lahore, and you were late for a concert,

Salman angrily told me how he wished he could sing …

Ali: Salman always wanted to be in the limelight …

NFP: Yes, but in those days at least he was aware that he could not sing. Anyways, to me Junoon folded in 2000. Did you see enough hope to hang on to the name for another four years (till 2004's Deewar)?

Ali: The last few years were rather troublesome. Brian left …

NFP: Fired, you mean?

Ali: He went into severe depression. I tried to help him out. I was always there for him. But a time came when I told him to better clean-up his act. He was destroying himself; just couldn't cope anymore. He had to leave. Leave the country. He's much better now.

NFP: What else?

Ali: Salman's talent of getting the best out of me became a negative trait. In the end he just wanted to suck the energy and ideas out of me so he could continue to bask in the limelight of Junoon. To me Junoon became a bad joke. A waste of time. I just had to strike out and do my own thing. I worked really hard on my solo album. I wanted to prove myself that I could survive as an artist outside Junoon.
deactivated thumbnail

Album Review: New age Sufi malang Arieb Azhar - Wajj

New age malang

There is something about Sufi music that grabs us like nothing else does. Arieb Azhar's debut puts an entirely new spin on the genre that we know and love

Artist: Arieb Azhar

Album: Wajj****

A kaleidoscope. The tiny, claustrophobic streets of Mochi darwaaza ka mohalla in Lahore. Haunting, amused faces. A spiritual song woven around a Sufi poem. This was the music video for 'Husn e Haqiqi' (Beauty of truth), Arieb's first single, released just a few months ago. Done in a 'kaleidoscope' effect (where two different pictures/scenes merge into one), the video depicted images moving and merging, dissolving and fading at a pace that matched the cadence of the song.

The result is absorbing.

While the video was done on a tight budget, its simplistic uniqueness was best suited for this melodic, chanting-like number. While it borders on the plain, at the same time, it is a visual mind-trip.

Arieb Azhar's story as a musician is a fascinating one. I recall watching his interview on On the Fringe a few months ago.
Having left Pakistan at the tender age of nineteen, Arieb settled in Croatia for the next thirteen years to come. "Growing up, I went through several music phases", said Arieb who was part of an Irish band in Croatia for five to six years - producing two albums of purely Irish music. But there was something missing…something that didn't quite feel 'complete'. "I was feeling a level of insincerity…I felt I got too caught up in the stardom aspect and strongly desired to reconnect back with my roots". "I just kept going to whatever was pulling me", and so, putting thought into action, Arieb finally moved back to his motherland three years ago.

But what was it like when he moved back? Did he find it hard to adjust, spread his wings as an artiste in a country he was away from for thirteen long years? "My album took too long, almost a year and a half when in actuality it should have taken around three to four months. But finding the right musicians I could gel with was one of the reasons for the delay". Some label Arieb as the next Rabbi Shergill - an insult rather than a compliment. Just because both musicians incorporate Baba Bulleh Shah's poetry into songs does not by any means denote they're cut out from the same cloth. Each is distinct, individual and has his own approach to Sufi thought and poetry.

Wajj, the name of Arieb's first album, stems from the Punjabi word 'wajnaa' - meaning an 'impact' of sorts, something being 'struck'… 'cha jana'.

When Wajj was originally released, it encountered distribution and availability issues, as Arieb's label decided to go through their own distribution channels. Now that it's been re-distributed it has finally found its way into the market.

Comprising of eight soulful Sufi songs, Wajj caters to serious music listeners, those interested in 'spiritual lounge music'. The album comprises of poetry by reputed Sufi poets (and saints) such as Khawaja Ghulam Farid, Bulleh Shah, Mian Muhammad Baksh and Sarmad Sehbai (a poet and playwright). Vocalizing poetry of such profundity is a task in its own, something which seldom suits voices. Arieb seems to carry it off pretty well in his deep and throaty vocals.
Each song featured on the album feels like a haunting journey such as 'Verhe Aa Varh Mere' - it is mellow, neither happy nor sad, and sounds like a traveler's desert song. Track number five, 'Saif ul Maluk', from Mian Mohammad Bakhsh's 'Safr ul Ishq' (Journey of Love) is rich, emanating a certain kind of magic or mystery where one feels amidst mountains, the mist and forgotten love stories. Arieb sings: "Destroy the mosque, destroy the temple/ Destroy all that you wish/ But do not destroy one person's heart/ For that is where the Lord dwells!" 'Kahe Rokat/Tede Nena' - merges two songs into one. The latter part, 'Tede Nena' is like viewing a dark cave from the outside. All that you can make out are shadows that flicker, dance and sway…making 'Tede Nena' sound like a song from the past. 'Husn e Haqiqi' on the other hand is more forceful including an element of the 'present', calling "…Love and knowledge/ Superstition and belief, conjecture/The beauty of power, and conception/ Aptitude and conscience".

'Emina', the last number, which has an evident opera-ish touch to it, comes as a bit of a surprise. It is a Croatian love song written by a Bosnian Serb poet, Aleksa Santic. Arieb's cross-cultural diversity in music is evident as he croons in Croatian superbly.

As mentioned before, 'Wajj' caters to those with an ear for music, the casual lot may find it slightly repetitive, but it grows on you and is extremely soothing. With instruments such as the violin, banjo, sitar and flute integrated into the music, the songs are given that extra 'zing'.

Through the years man has been able to channel his emotions, thoughts and ideologies through various art forms and mediums. This 'channeling' leads one to great inner 'release'…a certain liberation from the now, the present - where the artist finds himself suspended within the fluidity of time…yet, traversing to magnificent transition within. "I've always been interested in music that gives comfort to my soul", Arieb had said.

Lyrics and poetry regarding finding inner strength or regaining courage, melodies or tunes that inspire or captivate are spiritual in their own right. Wajj the album being Arieb's 'reconnection' with his roots is nothing close to pseudo, rather, heartfelt and sincere. That music (which is genuine with the intent of its message), which can enthuse an individual to change, make the soul soar or make one disengage from the physical to connect back with the metaphysical - truly is the greatest thing a musician can give back to humanity.

Wajj is out in stores now!
deactivated thumbnail

Noor Jehan: Memoirs of a die-hard fan

Noor Jehan: Memoirs of a die-hard fan

Divorcing two husbands in a row, befriending the then President of Pakistan, surrendering a studio worth a fortune to get her daughter back and standing up to tyrants and those who opposed her, demands more than just a singing voice. It requires determination. That is what her character was: defiant.

Long after she is physically dead, Madam Noor Jehan refuses to fade away. Her voice lives on with an evergreen repertoire; she also steals the conversation even today, whether revered and reviled, glorified or belittled. In the starchy movie-making world of pleasant but predictable singers/actresses, Noor Jehan remains a trailblazing original. She spent her 74 years standing trial to an elite fraternity of wannabes, nobodies and absolute nobodies. The eulogies poured in when she died so did vile attacks on her personal life.

A respected English monthly printed an article on her which was crude and offensive in totality. The concerned editor obviously had not even bothered to take out derogatory terms such as 'dead elephant' that had been used to describe the accomplished singer and actress. The legend that was Malika-i-Tarranum for the subcontinent was ripped apart by her own country's pseudo-intelligentsia after her death. The deceased are usually referred to with reverence in civilised societies, yet here was a man of letters executing cerebral emptiness. When I wrote a letter of protest to the editor, he did not even bother to respond.

While unsolicited members of the mundane masses played judge and jury, unknown dubious writers made quick money off Noor Jehan's death by hastily putting slanderous articles in book form. One book, Gaanon Aur Gunahon ki Malika (The Queen of Songs and Sins) had a cheaply sketched wine bottle with two glasses on her photo.

As if she cared.

It is said that once a woman caught in adultery was dragged to Jesus Christ for judgment. Every mob member carried a brick or stone to pelt the woman to death. The crowd roared for permission, but Jesus remained quiet. When the crowd became uncontrollable, Jesus said calmly, "let him who has never sinned cast the first stone."

Point made, I hope.

Madam probably would have fumed for a while then giggled at the pettiness. She loved laughing and mimicking people and their accents. She laughed at her own jokes. At times convulsed with anger, she would lambast someone privately and suddenly start giggling at her own colourful remarks. It was infectious; one couldn't help but join her.

Used to life's highs and lows, Madam had seen the best of professional life and the worst at a personal level. Yet she was neither arrogant nor bitter. She took life in her stride. Even court battles were embedded in her lifestyle from as early as the age of 14, when she abandoned her parents for the love of Shaukat Hussain Rizvi and eloped with him to present-day Mumbai (then Bombay). Her family sued them both because by then Noor Jehan, the star of subcontinent, was amassing wealth both as a famous singer and a heroine.

In 1953, a woman filed a petition in a Lahore court and alleged that Noor Jehan had slapped and beaten her up. When the court summoned her, she appealed through her lawyers she should be exempted from appearing in court since she was a purdah-observing lady and could not appear in public. Even Rizvi, the man she married for love, fought court battles with her over property. She traded Shahnoor Studios for custody of daughter Zille Huma. Half-a-century later, the courts were still sorting out claims to her immense wealth.

Every person will write history differently where Noor Jehan is concerned, but the ultimate tribute to the Melody Queen is being paid by Oxford University Press. They are including Malika-i-Tarranum in their upcoming edition of 'Oxford Companion to Pakistan History'. It is certainly commendable because Noor Jehan's place in Pakistan's history is undisputed

After Noor Jehan quit acting in 1960 and took up playback singing full-time, she sang for more than six generations of actresses. Sabiha Khanum, Bahar Begum, Neelo, Shamim Ara, Zeba, Rani, Deeba, Nisho, Naghma, Saloni, Aasiya, Sangeeta, Shabnam, Babra Sharif, Anjuman, Gori, Neeli, Reema, Saima and the woman who broke up Noor Jehan's marriage to film actor and heartthrob Ejaz, Firdaus, owe some of their memorable screen moments to Madam's voice. All these actresses who lip-synced to her voice, ravaged by time faded into oblivion while still alive. But Noor Jehan stood out even among young girls who were her granddaughters' age, and at age 70 could light up the screen with her presence. And that was when she was alive. After she died, her photographs, songs and anecdotes have become collector's items. A plethora of new singers plundered her repertoire, gender no bar, and helped themselves to her hit songs and of course, guaranteed success.

Innovative, original and a born leader who invested in human relationships, in a society where people take themselves far too seriously or insist upon being labelled a 'celebrity', she knew who she was and had the gift of making other people feel important. She knew a million people but everyone felt that he or she was the closest to her. Even those who played the tabla or harmonium for her felt important around her because she was never condescending towards them but pretended she would be lost without them.

There were two sides to her: when she was good she was a delight, when she took people on she held her ground and brought them down on their knees — ex-husbands included. When she abandoned Rizvi, she reinvented herself in a way that left him thwarted, frustrated and angry. He wrote a book, Noor Jehan ki Kahani, Meri Zabani, in which he alleges that his celebrity ex-wife had affairs right under his nose. He fumed and sizzled but couldn't abandon her until she walked out on him. Noor Jehan, famous for barracks language, apparently gave a taste of it to Rizvi also.

In India and later on in Pakistan, cinephiles adored her; men gave her stares and being from a world of liberated passions, she flirted right back. Rizvi may have been intellectually rigorous but Noor Jehan, who entered showbiz literally as a child, was the ultimate dominatrix with calamitous magic. When Ejaz married her, he enjoyed Madam's cash and comforts openly and Firdaus' bewitching beauty clandestinely. It devastated Madam. She exercised her ultimate resolve: caused their downfalls. She divorced Ejaz and refused to sing for any film that had Firdaus in the lead. She told producers it was either her or the other woman. The producers stopped signing Firdaus.

Madam Noor Jehan never claimed to have mastered singing by herself; she always insisted Allah had blessed her in a special way, which was true. Today, on her death anniversary, TV channels air special transmissions about her, artistes sing her famous ditties and media people flock to the events; all for a woman who died six years ago to this day.

Every person will write history differently where Noor Jehan is concerned, but the ultimate tribute to the Melody Queen is being paid by Oxford University Press. They are including Malika-i-Tarranum in their upcoming edition of Oxford Companion to Pakistan History. It is certainly commendable because Noor Jehan's place in Pakistan's history is undisputed.
alyy9 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Thanks this site really helps

Always:

Aleisha😳

Edited by nazir786 - 17 years ago
gr8amna thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I think you should be promoted to a Coolbie.
deactivated thumbnail
aww thanks amna! hmm i wish in my dreams! hehe 😊
😆
cheers
sahil khan 😛
deactivated thumbnail
Khuda Ke Liye (Urdu: ˜ ?, lit. for God) is a movie directed Shoaib Mansoor.

Shaan is all geared to blaze the theater screens with Shoaib Mansoor's upcoming project Khuda Ke Liye (In the name of God/For God's sake). The film has been extensively shot on various locations in the United States and the UK. It is expected to be released in the theaters sometimes this year. A festival run is also scheduled. Khuda Ke Liye stars Iman Ali, Shaan Hameed Sheikh & Fawad, of the band, Entity Paradigm. Ajnabee Shehr Mein is another project which is blipping on the radar screens of all major Pakistani movie buffs, where Shaan will be seen alongside greats like Samina Peerzada and the teen heart-throb Ali Zafar. Saqib Malik directs while the film is being independently produced by Khalid Sadaf.

Plot Overview

The movie revolves around a Pakistani young man (Shaan) who goes to the United States of America for higher education. During his study years, the tragic event of 9/11 takes place where the World Trade Center is turned into dust. In a long array of investigations and arrests, the young man gets arrested by the American authorities; and his younger brother is being motivated by his old friend Shershah Hameed Sheikh on the path of God and to quit all musical activities in favor of the "straight" path. Meanwhile, his uncle arrives from UK with his only cousin Mary (Iman Ali) who wanted to marry her non-Muslim boyfriend back in the UK against her family's wishes. He brings her to Pakistan where Shershah tucks them to their village in a tribal area near Afghanistan. There tries to escape but Shershah follows her and brings her back to the village.

The experiences of the young man are shown in this movie. There are plenty of other issues that are highlighted in this film. Iman Ali makes her cinema debut with this film, and enacts the character of a Pakistani-Briton. Austin Sayre also makes her film debut and plays Shaan's wife. The young music prodigy Ahmed Jahanzeb produced the soundtrack for the film.

Cast

* Shaan
* Fawad
* Iman Ali
* Naseeruddin Shah
* Hameed Sheikh
* Austin Marie Sayre
Ajnabee Shehr Mein (Lollywood)
Ajnabee Shehr Mein

Ajnabee Shehr Mein (Urdu: ? ?) is a film being directed by the ace Pakistani ad-film maker Saqib Malik. The film stars Ali Zafar, Shaan, Samina Peerzada and the ramp-model Tooba Siddiqui. It is being produced by the recording industry tycoon Khalid Sadaf. Shanee scores the music. The film is an urban thriller set in the Pakistani metropolis Karachi, and the shooting commenced in April 2006. Sarmad Sultan Khoosat has penned the script. The film is currently in production.

Synopsis
The film is a coming of age tale of non-native Pakistanis who land in Karachi to discover their destinies. A mystery/thriller angle has also been hinted at by the director.

Cast

* Shaan
* Ali Zafar
* Tooba Siddiqui
* Samina Peerzada
* Ali Saleem
deactivated thumbnail
Pak rock band manager held with banned Indian notes

Kathmandu: They had toured India without any mishap but Jal, one of Pakistan's top rock bands, struck a discordant note in Nepal with their manager arrested for carrying wads of banned Indian currency.

Known for their hit numbers Woh Lamhe and Aadat, the band, led by vocalist Farhan Saeed Butt, arrived in Kathmandu last week for their maiden performance in the kingdom. While Nepal's media gave the artists a rapturous welcome, a different treatment awaited the band's manager Hasnain Alam, when the group went to the airport on Sunday to catch a Jet Airways flight to New Delhi. From the Indian capital, the band was scheduled to proceed to Islamabad by Pakistan International Airlines.

While the five artistes were allowed to board the flight, a routine inspection of Alam's hand baggage revealed a stash of Rs1.1 million. What made the possession of the money illegal was that it was mostly in the denominations of 500 and 1,000.

Several years ago, alarmed by the rise in funnelling of money through Nepal to fund terrorist activities in India and also a boost in the circulation of fake currency notes, the Nepali government the two Indian notes in the kingdom.

Since then, the possession of such notes is a punishable offence in Nepal. It was not immediately if the currency was genuine or fake. Alam reportedly told police he was carrying the proceeds of the concerts.