Views

Users

Frequent Posters

deactivated thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Interviews: Josh talk about their new album Mausam and video

Keeping it real with Josh

'Being successful in "desi" music is not the same as being successful in North American music, especially while living here. It is a big problem on its own as far as the monetary aspect is concerned. We can't do shows as often, among other things. That being said, we are able to sustain ourselves. But we still have to think about budgets,' says Qurram

Contrary to belief, the Josh lads turn out to be rather nice. They were inrecently for the launch of their third album, Mausam, and despite a hectic schedule during their three-day stay, they agreed to a last-minute interview.

The current line-up of Josh comprises Q (Qurram Hussain) and Rup (Rupinder Magon). For this particular interview, Q is the first to turn up in a new afro hairstyle and a pair of shades that make him look uncannily like Lenny Kravitz. He laughs at the similarity, and then proceeds to relate how he once gained access to a club in Morocco pretending to be Kravitz himself. Q is originally from Karachi — he stayed in Pakistan for some 15 years before moving to Canada with his family. Compared to Rup, he seems eager to answer questions first, turning out to be quite a chatterbox.

Rup, who arrives shortly after, is quieter with a tendency to add a witty remark here and there. He is more on guard and — as I later discover — is primarily in charge of the 'business side' of Josh. Hailing from a somewhat religious Sikh family, Rup picked up the tabla at the age of six and later on advanced to the harmonium. He also knows how to play the piano.

The spiritual aspect to Josh's music appears to come from Rup, whose first musical experience came when he accompanied his mother to the gurdwara (Sikh temple) where she would sing hymns supported by his tabla beats.

Teaming up with his brother, Rik, and Shazi Hussain, they formed Josh and went on to perform covers of various popular films and Punjabi songs, qawwalis and ghazals. Around that time, Q was finding his own musical voice, which in turn ended up as a contribution towards Josh's debut album: he composed and wrote the title track Mein Hoon Tanha. The album was released sometime in 2001 and received a lukewarm response. By the time their second album, Kabhi, was released in 2004 — that brought them into international focus as a promising new band — Rik had left Josh.

Rup elaborates why: "He left during our pre-Kabhi days and decided to take on a more spiritual side to life. He didn't want all the media attention; he just wasn't built for that." While previously Rik used to be around their studio a lot, Rup says he rarely ever visits now. "He actually sang on Kabhi. If you the read the credits, his name is there."

Apparently, he is still quite an indispensable entity. "He started the band," **** Q. "He is still the first guy we can go to to get the most honest opinion."

The band members started Josh Entertaiment some two years ago with the idea that they would start producing artistes. Have they been successful in finding and producing an artiste so far? "Every time we get round to it, something new comes up. The idea is still there and we have done some projects that we haven't released just yet. It's just a company where we produce different artistes, from the music to everything, including the lyrics," says Rup. "More importantly though, it is very difficult to find new artistes or accept new artistes who are serious."

"We are willing to guide them if people are willing to work hard," **** Q. "People have this misconception that it's easy to put out a song and the rest takes care of itself."

With Josh based in Canada, who are the people they are working with? "We're predominantly working with desi people at the moment, but even now, we're not sure whether the record is going to come out," says Rup. "We can take artistes from anywhere because we meet a lot of people through our channels. But right now, Josh Entertainment is a very small thing. The reason we started it is because we're primarily producers, not just singers."

"The songwriting aspect allows us to do so much more with our talents, so we have that window of opportunity open," **** Q, elaborating further upon how they make music: "We're always making music whenever we can. An idea will generally come when I'm not sitting in the studio but driving, etc. I call myself on my home number and I leave a message about that idea. So then when I go back home, I make a piece based on that idea."

Musicians don't start out making a lot of money; most of them have to keep on working on their music and learn to take rejections before they finally get their big break. But even after becoming 'successful musicians', most of them continue with their day jobs, since a career in music does not guarantee a paycheque at the end of each month. Both Q and Rup had day jobs before Kabhi; do they plan to continue with them? "When Kabhi was popular, we were doing a lot of shows, and we expected that by the time we would be ready with our next album, we would put it up," says Q, adding, "But what we didn't take into account is that the business side of things can take very long. Kabhi was our first successful album, but I guess we weren't experienced enough."

"We are still poor musicians," says Rup simply.

"Being successful in desi music is not the same as being successful in North American music, especially while living here. It is a big problem on its own as far as the monetary aspect is concerned. We can't do shows as often, among other things. That being said, we are able to sustain ourselves. But we still have to think about budgets," says Q.

"Things are very good, actually. The fact that we've gone through the ghareeb phase, our habits are still the same. We are still not going to go and spend exuberant amounts of money for nothing; we are still going to look for a good deal. It has a lot to do with the training we got from our parents and that we don't believe in wasting money. There is no point in being flamboyant; there is nothing to gain from it," says Rup reflectively. Relating this to the album, he says, "In fact our first track, Mahi Ve, speaks about that. It has a Sufi touch to it, 'Mahi Ve Mahi Ve Arz Karan, Menu Di Asmani Fitrat De,' which means give us those heavenly habits. The idea was to talk about a song where we could remain humble."

Q has previously admitted to having been an ardent follower of Slash and has listed Sound Garden, Pearl Jam and the Stone Temple Pilots as some of his favourite bands. The music found in these bands (primarily rock) is not the kind of music that Josh is known for. How did that come about?

"I guess it's because I wasn't looking out to make a rock band," laughs Q. Rup **** thoughtfully, "Listening to something doesn't necessarily mean you're going to make it." "The other thing is that then there have been so many other things that have influenced me," says Q. "We used to have a lot of arguments in the beginning. Coming from rock, I had a different idea of not only how music should be made but how it should be promoted, etc. But then it changed after meeting Rup, who was listening to Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and a lot of heavy eastern music like qawwalis."

"There is a song called Ajnabi in Masuam that has predominant guitars," **** Rup, referring to the album. "I think that's the most guitars any song of ours has ever had."

"What is good about going through a lot of influences is that there is evolution in music and you will see that in Masuam, from song to song," finishes Q, bringing the conversation back to their album. The title track of the album, Mausam, is a cover of a Pakistani song. What is the story behind that? "Q always talked about this program called Fifty Fifty. So we got the DVD and there were these hilarious skits which we thought were fantastic," answers Rub. "In between these skits, they used to play a song once in a while. One of these songs was Aaey Mausam Rangeelay Sohanay by Zubeida Khanum. I fell in love with it and I kept singing and humming it. I said we should do a remake of this song.

"In three albums we haven't done any remakes. One day, Q called me up and said that he had made the music for it. I came over and listened to it and was wowed," continues Rup. "We've actually changed the melody on it and a word or two as well. The music is all completely different." Since Masuam is a Pakistani song, Josh is planning to shoot the video of the song in Pakistan as well.

It's good to know, though, that the band members of Josh have a good head on their shoulders. They have come a long way since their first album, Mein Hoon Tanha, and despite whatever they might say, their music is still very commercial — their primary listeners are the masses.

A number of artistes complain that they often have to concentrate on the business aspect that distracts them from making music. Rup says, "Any successful artiste will tell you that, but you have to remember that it's a race out there and it keeps you on your toes."

Q, "I don't think it has affected us creatively as far as music is concerned. We don't think about how to make a saleable album."

Mausam seems like an album for all seasons (as the cover will also display: there are tiny icons beside every song depicting what season it belongs to). But whether it rises to the magnanimous success of Kabhi is something that is yet to be seen.
Karachi
Edited by indian_masala - 17 years ago
deactivated thumbnail

1st Test, Day 1: India finish at 156/5

Friday, December 15, 2006

Johannesburg: India were 156 for five at stumps on day one of the first Test against South Africa at the Wanderers in Johannesburg on Friday.

Proceedings in the day were marred due to a damp pitch, an intermittent shower and finally bad light.

Sourav Ganguly and Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who had just walked in at the fall of VVS Laxman's wicket, decided to head back to the pavillion as soon as the umpires offered the light to the batsmen. The over from Makhya Ntini remained incomplete, with one delivery yet to be bowled.

In all, only 56.5 overs were possible on the first day's play and proceedings on day two on Saturday will start half hour early to make up for the lost time.

Earlier, electing to bat after winning the toss, India's batting woes continued as the openers once again fell without making any contribution.

Wasim Jaffer misjudged a Makhaya Ntini incoming delivery and was adjudged lbw for nine. Five balls later, Shaun Pollock sent back Virender Sehwag, caught behind by Mark Boucher and India were 14 for two after 11 overs.

Sachin Tendulkar and skipper Rahul Dravid put on 69 runs for the third wicket, but the Bombay Bomber failed to make a start count as he fell to Jacques Kallis for 44 (89b, 7x4). He was caught at slip by AB de Villiers.

The Wall collapsed soon after a 30-minute stoppage in play due to rain. He became Kallis's second victim, caught by Graeme Smith at slip for 32.

deactivated thumbnail

Dravid only Indian batsman in top 10 list

Friday, December 15, 2006

Dubai: If ratings are an indication of the form of players, then it is not a table the Indian team would like have a look at before going into the Test series against South Africa.

Skipper Rahul Dravid is the only batsman who figures in the latest LG ICC top ten players rankings in the third spot. Virender Sehwag is a distant 17th.

Vice-captain V V S Laxman is 31st while Sachin Tendulkar and Sourav Ganguly, who did not get to play too many matches this year, hold 21 and 48 position respectively.The performance is no better as a team and India with 111 rating points finds itself in the fourth spot behind Pakistan.

But India can move up and join Pakistan at third spot if it manages a 1-0 series win against South Africa. A 2-0 or 3-0 whitewash will help India go past Pakistan and will take it close to second-placed England.

In bowling, Anil Kumble and Irfan Pathan slipped one spot to occupy 8th and 14th places respectively. England, playing their third Ashes Test at the WACA, are lying well behind table toppers Australia who are sitting on top of the Test Rankings since June 2003.

Even if Australia, who have a 2-0 lead in the Ashes, ends up losing the series 2-3, it will still remain at the top. New Zealand, currently seventh, can draw level with Sri Lanka at fifth place if it beats Mahela Jayawardene's team at Wellington.

Ponting is top Test batsman. Mohammad Yousuf holds the second spot. Muttiah Muralitharan has strengthened his position at the top of the bowler rankings with 7 wickets in the first Test against New Zealand. Shane Bond has moved up three places to joint fifth
with England's Matthew Hoggard.

wini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Azfar Ali: Reflections of an Original Mind
By Alamgir Z Janjua

wo overpowering thoughts ambush me as I clasp my hand around Azfar Ali's outstretched one and acknowledge the amiable half smile that dangles at the corner of his lips. The first is the disarming irreverence and sheer charisma that naturally emanates from him. The second is the smouldering intensity of his eyes that command attention, set deep within the smooth contours of a ruggedly handsome face. I find him ensconced in a temporary make shift suite supervising a marathon editing session for his new rib tickling comedy cum social satire on those wealthy young souls with stiff upper lips, aptly titled Burgers. For a man who doesn't get much sleep in his frantic race against time to meet daunting deadlines, Azfar seems to bristle with boundless energy. Huddled intently in front of the screen with his technical team, he represents that rare breed of young filmmakers who are slowly revolutionising and redefining the way stories are told on the television screen.

Telling stories and appreciating the nuances that define human nature come naturally to Azfar. He regales me with humorous anecdotes about his time in London and Miami where he studied for a while. His one and a half year stint in Miami also helped him earn a valuable diploma from an advertising school. Little did he know that upon returning to his native soil he would be sent hurtling into a dizzying directing career. Azfar's initial aspirations were to pursue a career in graphic designing. That was until his voracious appetite to submerge himself in work compelled a friend to guide him towards the doorstep of a certain Ghazanfar Ali.

Azfar candidly recalls his first encounter with the distinguished media personality who back then was starting out on the road to greatness himself. "One of my friends told me to go to Ghanzafar Ali as he was famous for giving young kids a chance. At that time he was not a channel owner and just ran a company (Combine), which did two programmes, one was Music Channel Charts and the other was Pot Luck. I wasn't particularly fond of Pakistani television at the time and walked into his office unsure of whether he would give me a job with this huge portfolio of my drawings. I was eager to show them to him but he waved them away and asked me why I wanted to work for him? I told him that I was impressed by the difference Music Channel Charts had made to the lives of the Pakistani youth. Before I left the country people used to carry guns, now they are carrying guitars and that's cool." enthuses Azfar fondly. "He just looked at me and said I should start work. When I pressed him for what I should do he just said 'go do anything'. And that was my first day at work. I distinctly remember it was 6th August, 1994 and as far as I am concerned I consider that day to be my actual birthday"

deactivated thumbnail
Asian tours and travels

----------------------------

Two Asian countries are currently touring. Another one is waiting to embark on Mission South Africa.
Sub-continent teams have been tagged as bad travelers. They appear to be driving in Mercedes S-class comfort when playing on home tracks. but throw out those flat tracks and replace them with Bouncier one's having a liberal amount of grass on it and you can see them taking lessons in Rock climbing. Apart from Pakistan outstanding record against England in Queens own country their dismal record otherwise does little to counter that allegation.

But recently we have seen encouraging signs from them. They do not travel on that Bullock-cart with wheels ready to fly off any time. Yup the ride is a bit bumpy alright.
Traction control comes into play some time keeping them on track. Would not call it S-class comfort but a Toyota or Ford would not shy away from sponsorship. So the big question is are they getting smarter?

Lankan Safari: the loss was far from comprehensive, but the victory was.
Kiwi's won the first one but they were scratchy, nervous, they somehow got their and not arrived. Their own pathetic batting cut a very sorry figure against pace of super impressive Malinga and war veteran magical Murli adding to their woes was Sangakara.
A man possessed, no praise is two high for those two superlative knocks against Bond and company on Green-beds.
Lanka has completed its second impressive foray into alien conditions with some conviction. England and now New-Zealand may tip them as second favorites for World cup.

Shreesanth and hips don't lie: If Lankan performance was heartwarming, then Indian coup was nothing short of historic. Everything was going on the expected line. India was losing. From tour games to a 4-0 whitewash (sponsored by Asian paints). They did manage a win in twenty-twenty international but that was to send a stern message to the opposition that they can bat 20 over.
Then I watched news channels coupled with media centric thugs (read politicians) managed to outrage themselves and cried in unison "Chappell we love you man". Selectors sensed their folly, in came the Replacement killers. Laxman (should never have been dropped), Ganguly (who kept whispering all the time in the selectors ears bhule to nahi) Shreesanth who was mysteriously dropped and then ignored got his name back on the Roaster.
South African attitude was personified by Mr. Nel who has breathed more fire then a Coal engine. But we saw even in one dayers that their batting has been slightly better then their rivals. India got a well deserved boost in both batting and bowling; suddenly ignorant and overconfident Africans were tested in their own den. Their attack is still effective although lacks variety but it's their batting which looks inept and threatening to return the compliment to Indian miserable batting performance in one dayers.

Credit to India to spring them out of that hole and give South Africa a defeat of the same "In your face" sort. SA Radio seems to have gone silent. It has been forecasting thundershowers and lightening for Indians. May be they have learned their lessons as has Nel, who is having nightmares and it's that famous party song "My hips don't lie." Not surprisingly he is avoiding parties.

Pakistan last chance: Done with Windies, watch out SA. Not quite.
A win in test series without Akhtar and Asif is commendable. Considering depth of West Indies batting it's even more commendable and well done Pakistan well done Yusuf, well done Gul and shahid Nazir.
Wait a minute Shahid Nazir where is he? "Got it," So Sami can play one dayers but not him well done again selectors. Hameed made a comeback and immediately looked better then two regular openers. Rana made a welcome return to form before it was too late. Sami knows all about comebacks and he made another one. It was neither scary not spectacular he did not make selectors look foolish nor made them look genius.

Abdur rehman was find of the series to me. The biggest plus for Pakistan.
I think we missed a trick by not playing him in Test series but to me he should be in the Test squad too as a second specialist spinner can even play as first spinner if Kaneria does not lift his performances soon. This fellow has good action. Marvelous control and showed good temperament. I know it's too soon for me to start jumping but guys watch out for him.

So every thing looks hunky dory. No, scratch the surface a little and cracks would appear.
Inzy fitness is a big and real worry to me. Pakistan has to look beyond Faisal and get someone like Shahid Yousuf, Raza, or any other upcoming talent because for me his chances to survive the entire world cup certainly looks suspect. Pakistan should also now look beyond Malik for number 6 position both in tests and One dayers.

If they fail to recall Asim kamal on SA tour then it could be a little too late till World cup. Imran and Hafeez make a unique opening pair for Pakistan. To be given such an extended stay is both enviable and questionable. Both have made some good scores along with going on a scratching spree time and again. The numerous opportunity's given to them has worked against them only as it has reaffirmed their limited abilities beyond any doubt. Butt should be called back and given another chance before we finalize our opening pair for World cup.

SA tour is our last chance to get the team right. The search for that perfect combination has gone a begging for two years now. Bowling attack is not that much of worry Asif and Akhatar comeback can be a reality very soon, even without them Gul, Rana, Nazir and Rehman certainly makes the attack very respectable. It's the batting which is the real worry Yusuf and Younis can only do as much, they got to get some serious support if we want to keep any aspiration of performing respectably in world cup or doing a turn-around in Africa.
deactivated thumbnail
Strike In Karachi

--------------------------------------------

Two killed in violence in Karachi

Aftermath of Friday's violence

Two people have been killed and 10 others injured in the Pakistani port city of Karachi.
Violence broke out after large numbers of ethnic Pashtuns closed down the main highways connecting Karachi with the rest of the country.
Pashtun leaders had called a city-wide strike against what they called "increasing levels of victimisation of their community by local authorities".
Police fired teargas shells and have arrested some 50 people.
Bloody history

Critics of the authorities say they have been using the police to crack down on the city's Pashtun protesters.

Television footage showed one protester being badly beaten by a group of more than a dozen policemen.
Officials say arsonists have set fire to two banks, a petrol station, several vehicles and a police post.
Pashtuns say the city government, dominated by ethnic Mohajirs - descendants of settlers who came from India after partition - has been victimising them.
They say the government has deemed their Pashtun settlements and their transport associations illegal. BBC's Shoaib Hasan in Karachi says the Pashtun-Mohajir rivalry has a long and bloody history, and has led to city-wide riots in the past in which hundreds of people have been killed.
wini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Waiting for the next big one

By Shaiba Rizwan

A trend can be defined as levitation towards a certain way of behaviour or state of being. Trends appear, disappear and reappear in every area of this bizarre thing we call life. So it comes as no surprise that our local music industry (however moribund it may appear and sound at a given time – think Rabi Peerzada in a green tank-top and camouflage trousers crooning "Mujhe ishq hai, mujhe ishq hai") has come up with a few trends over the years.
All will agree that the first trendsetters were the boys themselves – yes the Vital Signs, truly pioneers in all respects. They gave the music industry one of its first trend, which to this date hasn't died out – the culture of sing-along pop anthems. Dil dil Pakistan occupied a special place in everyone's heart, especially since it came at a time when cultural and religious shackles were being broken in the late eighties and the country had just been freed from a benevolent general and his visions. The Vital Signs, young boys in jeans and t-shirts swaying to their music, were a brand new phenomenon for a nation who till then had only seen singers in starched white shalwar kameez standing awkwardly in a PTV studio and with rather morose expressions singing "Yeh desh hamara hai, isay humnay sawara hai". Every band followed suit and still does to this day. Strings, Junoon, The Call, EP, Haroon and Fahkir all have to their credit a pop anthem or two.
The next big, I mean really big, trend that came along was given to us by the Led Zeppelin of Pakistan (the fact that they have blatantly plagiarised numerous Zeppelin tunes and Jimmy Page riffs is besides the point), the band called Junoon. The trend caught on extremely well with a nation whose upper and middle classes are always desperately in search of something "spiritual" and "deep". It was the amazing form of rock n' roll concocted by Salman Ahmed and it was titled Sufi rock. It was a type of rock where you got to head bang and say "maula" at the same time. Strange but it was new. Rip roaring guitar riffs and galloping tablas were its main weapons of choice.
Arguably, Sufi rock can be termed as the most popular trend that ever hit our music industry and one that was/is loved by almost every section of Pakistani society. The story goes that during one Junoon performance, when the concert hall lost electricity, the nearby mosque rushed to supply an electrical connection on learning that the band which had sung Sayeen was performing. Such was the transcendent power of their tunes. After the success of the Junoon formula, what followed was, well, sheer madness. Suddenly every singer and band in the country was trying to cash in on it. Jawad Ahmed, previously known for teenybopper ditties that went like this: "Baqi sub theek hai, baqi sub theek haaiiii", became all serious and declared his endless devotion in songs like Maula and Allah meray dil kay andar. Shahzad Roy, who till then had a penchant for rather pathetic pop songs with strange English lyrics such as "Cling to the beat, yeah" took to wearing shalwar kameez in his videos and attempted to sing Iqbal's nazams. The height of all this was achieved by Fariha Pervaiz who left her Bo kata ways to sang Pathanay Khan's Mera ishq bhi tu. For God's sake, we never really gave the man the accolades he deserved while he was still alive, the least we can do is not torture him in his grave. The trend continues to linger, with certain artists such as Najam Sheraz and Junaid Jamhed, refusing to give up on it.
The Junoon hysteria died down to make way for the fresh, young brigade that tried their hand at new things. They were upper middle class rich boys, many educated in the West, who took up the guitar and ushered Pakistani pop into the new millennium. Noori and EP were the frontrunners of this new wave of musicians. However popular they became, they did not define a genre of rock the way Junoon did. Ali Noor belting out "Mein jawan hu" and "Duniya badlu ga" couldn't kick start a trend nor could EP's Ahmed Butt rapping "I'm a white boy" attract a cult following.
The latest fad to capture the nation's fancy was brought to us by a boy from Lahore singing a song called Aadat. Here was something fresh. Infusing attempted raags with western percussions and instruments, Atif Aslam made it work because he had the voice. However, all the other new kids on the block who tried copying his style are really having a hard time sounding harmonious. But note to Atif: the masses are now bored of your oohs and aaaahs and need something new.
The question that begs asking now is: where is the next trend going to come from? A survey of what the current lot of musicians has recently dished out is hardly what you can call trendsetting. For example, if you surf the local music channels for a few minutes, you are sure to catch a hooded (seriously), fur coat-clad Arif Lohar singing, or rather screaming, "Nam saajan da kardiya" accompanied by a leather-clad girl with guns blazing in her hands! Then there's Ali Zafar's new offering which is more of an advertisement for a cellular company. Ali just hasn't been able to recreate the magic of Channo and his new track Masti is rather bland at times and kind of falls flat on its face. Haroon, after a long hiatus, has made a comeback. Still, his song Jeeya jaye leaves a lot to be desired.
It's left to the newcomers or the underground bands to give us something novel. Groups like Sahil, Roxen and Rait have come up with good ditties but they are more or less aping Guns and Roses, Pearl Jam and Nirvana. A few screams here and a guitar riff there and voila, you have a song. But that's not what really catches the audience's attention and not what sets a new trend. Well, until the next big thing decides to rear its head and show us the way, I guess we have to keep rocking to what is on offer. The next trend had better come quick or else, like the million other Paki pop fans out there, I'm gonna have to look elsewhere to satisfy my ear buds. Think Bollywood.
mariam_90 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Ali Zafar's Masty is an extension of the Huqa Pani sound but more edgy and more filmi
By Rahma Muhammad

Artist: Ali Zafar
Album: Masty***

A visit to Karachi's ultimate stop for CDs and DVDs Laraib Music Store – revealed much to my astonishment that Ali Zafar's Masty isn't doing too well. "Why?" I asked surprised at the thought that our blue eyed boy of pop who has given us much groove with hip numbers in Huqa Pani is not doing well in his sophomore attempt at being a pop prince. The shopkeeper mumbled something about there being no nach in it – Ali Zafar not doing any nach to be more precise. "But he is flying!" I argued back, not ready to accept his response – he just shrugged indifferently and moved on to tell me who actually is doing well – a band I like to call an Atif clone. I was flabbergasted. What is wrong with our youth? Why must they rather whine about lost love than feel good about themselves and their youth ala Ali Zafar's Masty. The answer might just be too multi faceted to attempt in these columns.

But this little discourse made me accept the power of the video, and the inevitable truth, our masses don't like putting up with change too much. All Ali Zafar's videos from his debut Huqa Pani, were colorful and fun, with the sole exception of 'Ek Pal'– which again was an interesting attempt at some form of confused reinvention. However the shot-in-India video of the title track 'Masty' is anything but colourful – it's cutting edge, yes, (the man is flying for crying out loud, that too above a crowd of shrieking chicks), technically superior than 'Channo' and very rockstar-y but there is no cute li'l Ali Zafar anymore. No sir, Ali has grown up. Gone are the days when he needed to woo a chick for his music to sell – he has metamorphosed into a smashing 'rockstar', indifferent and slightly bemused at the number of babes throwing themselves at him.

But that apparently is not working for the throngs who bought Huqa Pani. No problems there for Ali though, at least financially because it's not like he cares for the sales. With a hot deal that involved a lot of zeroes and no royalty, whether the album sells less than Huqa Pani or not is inconsequential at least for Ali. Am I being too harsh? Maybe, but it's true. In any case Ali might never know the real sales figure (thanks to piracy) and he will get critical acclaim – because the album is good. Different but good. Even with the notably darker video, Masty's songs are much more chirpier and hip than Huqa Pani.

Undoubtedly the music industry's has grown by leaps and bounds in a very short span of five years – but there seems to be a negative relationship between the growth rate and the number of musicians actually coming up with good stuff. Good doesn't necessarily mean different or ground breaking but at least listenable. As the industry grows so does the number of bands who look and sound alike. Like the proverbial sheep, they follow and somehow even manage to sound like them. But Ali doesn't – not only is his sound different than his peers but he keeps reinventing himself as far as the look goes. Two albums old and he has created a separate sound of music where I can gleefully pigeonhole him in.

Filmi pop might not be altogether new for Pakistani ears, with Runa Laila, Ahmed Rushdie and Alamgir having done that decades ago. But Ali's sound is definitely filmi – if not Pakistani filmi, then Bollywood of the '70s filmi. One song after another sounds like a remix version of a song picturised on a swinging Amitabh riding his bike, getting jiggy with it at a disco or just goofing away randomly. An avid fan of Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy might get a little uneasy after listening to Masty, because it can give those three a good run for their money. Maybe that is what Ali is aiming at, what with Atif and Shafqat doing so well in Indian playback singing. Even with their distinctly non filmi style, they have been big hits – compared to that Ali Zafar is giftwrapped for Indian music directors.

Ali admits to being a big Kishore Kumar and RD Burman fan and that is exactly where the inspiration for Masty comes from. The interesting thing is that though there are times one is reminded very strongly of the great Yodeller, one can also easily spot the distinct Ali Zafar. Maybe because the sound is coming from the same head that came up with the lyrics in the first place. Masty oddly stands out yet neatly falls into place.

One of the best thing about the album is that there are four absolutely refreshing songs about optimism, winning against all odds and youth – a wonderful respite from one whining song after another about love lost. The title track 'Masty' is an absolute youth anthem, with its arena-rock sound, simple sing-a-long hooks and lyrics celebrating youth. Even though 'Jaanay na Koi' sounds uncomfortably familiar yet you can't help love this song. A soft and melodic song where Ali sounds like himself and nothing else. Both these songs I heard for the first time at the World Performing Arts Festival's Pop Night along with everyone else there. After the first chorus the crowd was singing along to both the numbers, even though it was the first time they were listening to the song! The energy that Ali evoked through a CD rendition of these songs was also interesting; a live version would probably rock the house down. 'Aag' and 'Masty' also make for a very strong combination, with their hard upbeat sound – especially 'Aag's techno sound.

Along with composing winning tunes, Ali Zafar also knows how to pen down some decent lyrics. This shows through out the album. When he writes about transcending difficulties, winning and touching the sky (in 'Aasman'), instead of sounding cliched and oddly competitive it sounds humbling if anything.
With songs like these one wonders if Ali isn't willing to do anymore 'Channo' or follow in the same direction as 'Rangeen' or 'Huqa Pani'. But he does. Unlike songs from Huqa Pani, 'Dekha' and 'Sajania' are still quirky enough to meet the high expectations he set with hits from his last album. 'Sajania' is especially fun with its unusual sound, lyrics and chorus. The '70s touch that creeps in the song at points makes this song very old school meet new school.

The softer side of the album however, is limited to two songs, 'Kharayan De' and 'Marey Haathon'. 'Marey Haathon' is completely unlike the yodelling love songs of yore; very soft and sweet, it's 'the' love song in the album. 'Kharayan De' on the other hand is the Sufi number, that Ali performed at this year's Lux Style Awards. It definitely stands out from the rest of the album with its distinct sound and of course lyrics, showing the diversity Ali has as a musician.

A lot of people will feel that Masty is heavily inspired and hardly original but scratch the surface a little and you will have to agree that the treatment Ali has given these songs makes this sound his own. He is taking that particular '70s swinging filmi feel, mixing it with exotic world music and adapting it to Pakistani sensibilities all the while. Sales will definitely pick up as he releases more videos – as most songs on the album are very "video friendly" if there is such a term.

If Masty loses marks on originality, it gains tremendously on lyrical quality and lasting popularity.

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

Source: http://jang.com.pk/thenews/dec2006-weekly/...ep/article1.htm

mariam_90 thumbnail

ATIF HITS HOLLYWOOD !

Our Loving Aadeez
Your support and prayers have pushed our star atif to such a height that now one can refer him as a GEM for Pakistan . We need your further support to stand at this height.

When we announced the launch of Atif in Bollywood every one of you was cheered like true aadeezz and one of you wished us luck in the flow of his or her sentiments saying that " Atif bolly wood k baad ab Hollywood main bhi jana hay INSHALLAH"

By the endless MERCIFULLNESS of ALLAH THE GREATEST

the time has come.

Yesss

Ladies & Gentlemen

Let me share with you another achievement of Atif's Musical Career .

Atif's Three songs have been inserted in a Hollywood Art Movie " MAN PUSH CART"

(Read again its not Bollywood its Hollywood )

"Aadat" is the main track while portions of the songs "Ehsaas" and "Yaqeen" are also introduced in the film.

It is an art Movie depicting the troubles of an New York Based Pakistani Guy who is fighting for his survival and settlement in USA and gives back his life a positive U turn by exploring his previous talent of singing. There is also an Interesting love triangle in the film.

Film is directed by Ramin Bahrani who is an Iranian American and a Film teacher after his graduation in film making from Columbia University . As per my knowledge Ramin is an extra passionate guy for the movies. Believe me or not he invested almost his every thing into the movie.

After "Ustad Nusrat Fateh" Ali Khan sahib and "Strings", our star Atif is the only person whose voice has been inserted and introduced in any Hollywood Movie.

We are all excited including atif and we are feeling endless thankfulness to God for this Honor. This really shows that there is something that protects our star from every hurdle from every problem.

Ramin was in contact with us for the last 11 Months since the start of his film. After negotiations and other concerns our deal was finalized for to introduce three of Atif's Song in the Movie with "Aaadat" being the key track. In his initial email the Ramin said that when he listened to songs of Atif in USA with the help of the Hero of the Movie in translation, Ramin felt that this is the right kind of environment for the theme of my film

So he decided to go for one song but later on he asked us for the other two songs which were also fitting in the environment of the Movie.

Its an honor to see the name of our star mentioned in the Movie Titles.

The movie got a great response at its premier in VENICE FILM Festival which is considered as the second largest film festival in the world. Film is recently launched at Venice Film festival. About 60 Movies were selected for the Premier at the Film Festival out of 3000 and "Man Push Cart" is one of them. This speaks for the quality and standard of the film. Almost all of the Hollywood celebrities attended the film festival and this gave an extra exposure to atif's voice to the gurus of film making , Hollywood producers and directors.

Film's hero also narrated that after the premier the president of the Venice film festival who was not knowing English held his hand and took him to the stage and appreciated his film a lot.

Following was the screening schedule of the film at various places in the world.

Film will be available on DVD after cinemas.

62nd Venice Film Festival August 31 - September 10, 2005 * Giornate Degli Autori - Venice Days * http://www.venice-days.com/newssearcheng.asp?idnews=41

49th London Film Festival 19 October - 3 November 2005 . *World Cinema Section* http://www.lff.org.uk/films_details.php?FilmID=763

5th MARRAKECH INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL- November 11-19, 2005 . *Official Competition* http://www.festivalmarrakech.wanadoo.ma/

16th Ljubljana international film festival - 10-24 November *Official Competition*
http://sl.liffe.si/index.php?lang_chg=en

46th Thessaloniki International Film Festival - November 18-27 *Official Competition* http:http://www.filmfestival.gr/film_festival/uk/index.htm

Alhumdolillah Film also got tremendous response at London Film Festival and won the "FIPRESCI CRITICS AWARD" for the "THE BEST FILM " at the film festival. This international federation of film critics award is considered as the most authenticated and high rated in film industry there.

So After Bollywood it is Hollywood , what next ?

But one thing is for sure that God has given atif an opportunity to raise the image of Pakistan in true sense in world music.

So aadeez this is a new Year and first birthday gift of our website for you guys from ATIF. I think this is the very right time to pray more and more for our loving atif and his success.

Remember

Atif is nothing without you guys.

CHEERS to you all

GOD Bless Atif & AADEEZ. Sheraz Aslam

P.S. I am also pasting some of the reviews and other info available at various internet sites about the movie.

REVIEWS MAN PUSH CART

Year 2005 lenght 87' color 35mm country USA-Iran

Directed by Ramin Bahrani

Screenplay Ramin Bahrani

Cast
Ahmad Razvi (Ahmad), Leticia Dolera (Noemi), Charles Daniel Sandoval (Mohammad), Ali Reza (Manish), Farooq "Duke" Mohammad (Duke)

Cinematography
Micheal Simmonds

Art direction
Charles Dafler

Editing
Ramin Bahrani

Costume design
Elena Kouvaros

Music
Peyman Yazdanian

Producers
Ramin Bahrani, Pradip Ghosh, Bedford Bentley III

Produzione
Noruz Films

World Sales
Wide Management Enterprise

Directer

Ramin Bahrani

Synopsis

Every night while the city sleeps, Ahmad, a Pakistani immigrant man drags his heavy cart along the streets of New York to his corner in Midtown Manhattan. And every morning, from inside his cart he sells coffee and donuts to a city he cannot call his own. He is the worker found on every street corner in every city.
He is a man who wonders if he will ever escape his fate.

Beautifully observed, this is a subtle and technically accomplished film. Whatever else is going on in the protagonist's life, the film returns regularly to the act of him setting up his cart in the early morning; his preparations for opening and his exchanges with customers, as they buy coffees, teas and bagels from him. This gives Man Push Cart a deliberate rhythm, whilst it explores the complex and hidden depths of the character, who we learn is desperately hanging on to his small dreams in the midst of grief and despair. The denouement of the film is tragi-comic, heart rending and almost inevitable. His little glimpse of an escape from a circumscribed world has been closed down again and he has to pick himself up and focus on the same thing he started with. This is a haunting and inciteful second feature that gives an elliptical but nonetheless revealing picture of an under-depicted community in the Big Apple.
(Adrian Wootton)

Directly afterwards I ran to see Man Push Cart because the young director, who graduated from Columbia and teaches film and scriptwriting, had written to tell me he would be in Venice with the movie. I knew it would be about an immigrant Pakistani Muslim living in NYC. But the film is about far more ex-pats and greater than the sum of the circle of characters that Ramin Bahrani explores. More than a recitation of the usual protocol of the differences at cross-cultural borders. More than a tale of those who make it and exploit their own countrymen and women, or the loneliness, the trials, the misfortunes of starting a new life outside your homeland.

The contemplative nature of this young man who pushes a bagel stand through the streets of New York, a former professional singer from Pakistan reduced to odd jobs, is what's compelling in Bahrani's second film. Man Push Cart was refreshing after Mary , almost like an atonement. Man Push Cart washed my soul of Mary 's chaotic, desperate and demanding form that is desparate and demanding. I met Ramin's lead actor, Ahmad Razvi , and DP Michael Simmonds after the screening. An extremely pleasant and cordial group of people. "Thank you for coming to my film", said Bahrani. You bet! Thank you !

Posted by dwhudson at September 7, 2005 04:58 AM

Interview With Ramin

By Poopak Taati

In front of me, at an outdoor caf near Venice Days Office, I see Ramin Bahrani, the movie maker that lots of critics in Venice have been talking about and thought of his film, ' Man push cart ' ( Noruz Productions ), as a brilliant capture of the heart of New York. Comments have varied from 'This is the kind of film I wish I had made' to 'This is a movie only students of Kia Rostami can make.'

Q: How do you identify yourself? Iranian? American? Iranian-american? Or, something else?

A: I am an Iranian-American as confusing as that sounds!

Q: I know you have graduated from Columbia University in the city of New York . Was 'man push cart' a thesis or a school project turned into a feature film?

A: No, I graduated about 10 years ago and since then I have produced 'strangers' which was filmed in Iran .

Q: Do you mind if I ask you how old you are and how many years you have been living in U.S. ?

A: I am 30 and I was born in North Carolina . I grew up in the south of U.S. , but went to New York for a degree in film studies. After graduation from Columbia , I lived and worked in Iran for 3 years. Upon my return to New York , I came to develop the idea of 'man push cart' when I saw and learned about the life experiences of a Pakistani friend and neighbor.

Q: Making a film is an expensive endeavor. Have you received funding and help from the Iranian- American community?

A: I received much help from the Iranian community but also from the Indian and Jewish communities, from both white and black Americans, and also from other groups. Although the film is about a Pakistani and Moslem immigrant, the first person who offered help was an Indian of New York.

Q: Do you plan to distribute this film in Iran too?

A: I would love to. I have been working with a musician from Iran , Payman Yazdanian who is a genius. Others in Iran have helped with the sound, montage, and technical issues. I would like to show the film at the Fajr festival and from there have a distributor for theatrical release.

Q: Would you be disappointed if the kiss scenes are censored?

A: Since this is an international film and since the kiss scene is not passionate, I am hoping it would not be censored.

Q: How do you see the Venice film festival? Has it been useful to your film?

A: Oh yes, definitely. Venice film festival is one of the tops and the chances for recognition are great here. Only about 60 films were selected for screening and it was an honor for me to come here.

Q: Have you had success in selling your film to distributors?

A: France , UK , Italy , and some other countries have already shown interest for purchasing it.

Q: How did you get to show your film at Venice ? Did you have connections?

A: No, I sent the film through fed ex on the day before the deadline. That is how it got to be here.

Q: Wasn't it annoying to you that at the night of screening your film, a few Italian critics asked if your point of view about New York was Iranian? I imagine since you were born and raised in U.S. , it must be annoying to hear people talk as if you a foreigner to U.S. and therefore dismissing your view as marginal.

A: I didn't interpret it that way because I don't know of the popular culture. I don't watch films and television, nor do I listen to radios. I was glad that they liked the film. For me, it is important to be honest and have a fresh vision. Of course I don't have a tourist's perspective of New York . New York is where I live. I wanted to show it the way that it has not been seen. Since 1890, many films are made about New York , but none introduces the angle that I have shown. My next film would be even more honest. It would show a New York completely ignored by other movie makers. Location is important. A mix of professional and non professional actors is also important to me.

Q: Your film is about a Pakistani immigrant. You have a Spanish actress playing a part. You are a writer and director of Iranian origin. Your cinematographer is an American. The cart was made in China . Your funding has come from Indian, Jewish, Iranian and a diverse group of Americans. Was it a conscious choice on your part to make this film of international elements?

A: Yes, I live in New York where there are different nationalities and cultures. How could I not be international? In fact, there is a debate nowadays that cinema should not have a national origin and good films are about and for everyone in the world.

Q: As a last question, what is that you want to tell through your films?

A: I believe it is important to be honest to yourself and not to be a hostage to your culture. I want to make fresh films, films with a real vision, like movies that were made in the 50s and 60s. I could make a film even about here and show a Venice that no other film maker has yet seen. That is what I like to do.

A few minutes later, we were walking toward the festival happenings in the company of a mutual friend. I wished him lots of success and told him the interview will be published at an Iran related website on the Internet. He said his father reads them every night.

Edited by mariam_90 - 17 years ago
mariam_90 thumbnail
ATIF'S 2ND ALBUM DOORIE: RELEASES ON 22ND DECEMBER!