Views

Users

Frequent Posters

kalli thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 17 years ago

Sahir Lodhi : Shahrukh Khan's hangover?

Date: 2006-12-02

Urdu or 'Minglish' channels on the airwaves take the cake when it comes to bad taste. The most tacky moments begin at 10pm onwards on weekdays. One Sahir Lodhi graces the airwaves on FM 103. He sounds, talks, acts like Shahrukh Khan. Not a poor man's Shahrukh as poverty is at least original; this RJ is the new money's Shahrukh for sure. One day I heard him talk about the US empire and its designs on the world. I have yet to witness a more hilarious situation. Imagine Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 being recited by Shahrukh Khan in the scene from Kal Ho Na Ho in which superhero Shahrukh whips out the diary from Saif Ali Khan's pocket and reads it aloud for Preity Zinta. Be it heartbreaks or George Bush, this RJ talks with same passion (read theatrics), repetition and style. He is an expert on all topics in the universe. I mean heartbreaks and US administration's designs both are serious subjects, but doesn't a change in style make sense here?

Why does rj of sahir's caliber need to imitate shahrukh khan so much that he is almost losing his own identity as sahir lodhi…so instead of imitating shahrukh,bring ur own style sahir!

Edited by kalli - 17 years ago
deactivated thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Atif Aslam to rock Dubai

The Pakistani singer has transcended boundaries with his hit music and has become quite a sensation in India too.

When you are in your early 20s your priorities are likely to revolve around clothes, cars, gizmos or attractive girls/boys (take your pick). But for 23-year-old Pakistani singer Atif Aslam, it's a whole new reality. His songs and his deep voice preceded him as major Indian radio stations and TV channels played his hit singles with gusto.

Case in point: His songs Tere Bin (from Bas Ek Pal), Woh Lamhe (from Zeher) and Aadat (from Kalyug) have become a daily staple in our lives
. And very soon it's not just his recorded voice that you will get to hear - you will be able to hear him live.

On Sunday, as a part of Dubai Rock 2006 at the Dubai Exile Rugby Club Ground, Atif Aslam will be regaling Dubai music lovers.

Edited by indian_masala - 17 years ago
deactivated thumbnail
South Africa complete India's humiliation with series drubbing

Monday, December 04, 2006

Centurion: India failed to redeem their pride in the fifth and final cricket one-day international and were thrashed comprehensively by nine wickets by South Africa who completed a 4-0 series whitewash here on December 03.

The Indians were outplayed by South Africa who restricted the visitors to 200 for 9 on an easy-paced track before overhauling the target in just 31.2 overs at the Supersport Park.

AB de Villiers, promoted to open for the first time in the series, remained unbeaten on 92 while skipper Graeme Smith finally struck form to score 79, making a complete mockery of the Indian bowling.

The show of these two batsmen overshadowed the efforts of Sachin Tendulkar who laboured to a 97-ball 55 and Mahendra Singh Dhoni (44) who ensured India touched the 200-run mark for the first time in the series.

The comprehensive win in the fifth and final match of the series, the first tie of which was washed out, means South Africa would go into the three-Test series, starting on December 15, with their confidence sky high.

Also boosting their morale would be the fact that all their four wins were facile with the victory margins being 157, 106 and 80 runs before today's humiliation.

Shaun Pollock, for his brilliant bowling in the match and throughout the series -- a haul of 10 wickets at a very low cost -- was named both man of the match and the series.

deactivated thumbnail

Mein Aik Din Laut Kay Aaoon Ga (MADLKAG) is being directed by Mohammad Javed Fazil. All the technical facilities from sound recording to the final prints have been obtained from India.

The film is being produced by Shoaib Alam under the banner Super Music Masti Ltd UK.

The script and screenplay is written by Javed Fazil.

The story is based on the changing faces of human beings, changes in their feelings for others and changes that come in their lives due to different situatons.

Seeing all this he promises himself that "Mein Aik Din Laut Kay Aaoon Ga". When he returns he sees that everything around him has changed and even his mother does not recognise him.

Suddenly his life is at a cross-road (Do-raha). On the one side he has his past and a vague future. What does he do next ?

This is the first Pakistani film which has entirely been shot in India. In the cities of Hyderabad and Mumbai.

Music is given by Jawad Ahmed and the singers are Asha Boshle, Alka Yagnik, S.Chohan, and jawad himself.

The cast is Humayoun Saeed, J.Shiekh, Nadeem, Ahmed Butt, Seba Pervez and from India Nosheen Ali (Khusum Drama), and Pooja.

The film is scheduled to be released in December

deactivated thumbnail

Soundtrack of the much hyped film Pehla Pehla Pyar made by TV Director Mubasher Luqman which was released early this year.

Dil Kisi Ka Tor

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QDZNU7A5

Jagi Jagi

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=73BOK4DF
Pehla Pehla Pyar (Title song)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L85UY6E4

Piya Milan Ki

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L3EJH7I7

Subah Kay Noor

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WOBUEG5M

Yeh Duniya Ki

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5MKT7DMT

Zindagi Mai Tum

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3DY0XU8P

deactivated thumbnail

ICC Champions Trophy

Match.no Match Venue Date Time
Q1 Sri Lanka v Bangladesh Mohali Oct 7 14:15(IST)
Q2 West Indies v Zimbabwe Ahmedabad Oct 8 14:15(IST)
Q3 Sri Lanka v Zimbabwe Ahmedabad Oct 10 14:15(IST)
Q4 West Indies v Bangladesh Jaipur Oct 11 14:15(IST)
Q5 Bangladesh v Zimbabwe Jaipur Oct 13 14:15(IST)
Q6 Sri Lanka v West Indies Mumbai Oct 14 14:15(IST)

1 India v England
Jaipur
Oct 15 14:15(IST)
2 New Zealand v South Africa Mumbai Oct 16 14:15(IST)
3 Pakistan v Q1 Jaipur Oct 17 14:15(IST)
4 Australia v Q2 Mumbai Oct 18 14:15(IST)
5 New Zealand v Q1 Mumbai Oct 20 14:15(IST)
6 Australia v England Jaipur Oct 21 14:15(IST)
7 South Africa v Q1 Ahmedabad Oct 24 14:15(IST)
8 New Zealand v Pakistan Mohali Oct 25 14:15(IST)
9 India v Q2 Ahmedabad Oct 26 14:15(IST)
10 Pakistan v South Africa Mohali Oct 27 14:15(IST)
11 England v Q2 Ahmedabad Oct 28 14:15(IST)
12 India v Australia Mohali Oct 29 14:15(IST)
13 Semi-Final 1, A1 v B2 Mohali Nov 01 14:15(IST)
14 Semi-Final 2, B1 v A2 Jaipur Nov 02 14:15(IST)
15 Final Mumbai Nov 05 14:15(IST)

I think there will not be any difference of Pakistan team under the Younis Khan's Capitancy. All people are saying that Pakistan team needs Inzimam. But I think Pakistan team needs not of Inzimam instead.
wini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Zara Shaikh

With his large glasses and crumpled, light blue shalwar kameez that I have yet to see him outside of, Khawar Riaz looked unlike the genius behind 'Tere Pyar Main'. While she, with her 22 inch waist, made to look even smaller by the dresses Khawar designs especially for her and her teasing walk, looked astonishingly like the Zara Sheikh one saw on screen.

Khawar and Zara – looking at them, you wonder at the scandals the Urdu press has been ripe with ever since the release of Tere Pyar Main until you notice how Khawar fusses over Zara, leaving his assistants to deal with the other models – until you realize how the tantrums that film producer Shazad Gul mentioned cease, the moment Khawar steps into the picture. It is then that you start to wonder whether theirs is the simple doting relationship of a photographer with his favourite pupil or – a purely professional relationship which has proved to be symbiotic for both as the grapevine claims 'a liaison along the lines of Syed Noor and Saima'.

One would be inclined to believe the 'liaison theory' if it wasn't for Khawar's talk of moving ahead from Zara and for his enthusiasm over the new girl he is thinking of launching – a damsel called Saira, with nice pouty lips and a somewhat baby like face. Not much competition for Zara at this stage but then you never know – Khawar has been known to turn girls into heroines so one shouldn't be surprised if Sangeeta's next venture stars Saira. It seems as if despite all that others are saying, Khawar is bent on graduating from Zara Sheikh like he once graduated from Gia Ali.

The hard-to-get attitude that Zara is currently trying the patience of film producers with, was once used to try Khawar's patience – this was two years back when he was trying to convince Zara to model for him. A chance shoot in an Urdu publication brought her into his eyes; just like with Gia, Zara's pictures made him feel that she would be a great platform for him to portray his work from. Then followed a Tom and Jerry chase which lasted for a year and a half and took him all over Lahore, from late night parties to afternoon trips to the shopping malls until eventually he managed to pin down the young lady.

Straightaway Khawar told her that if she agreed to stick by him for a year or two, he would turn her into the next Aaminah Haque. For a no-repute, no-earnings Urdu model, she was hardly putting anything at stake by saying yes to him and so yes it was. Looking back, she now refers to it as a 'blessed decision'.

A month or so of gruelling training – some inches were shed, a lot of facials were done – and Zara was ready to hit the market. Instead of going slow and steady with her, Khawar straightaway pushed her on the covers; a year later, when the name Zara Sheikh was just making the ear drums of a few major designers vibrate, Khawar decided it was time to move her on.

He made sure that Shazad Gul saw Zara when she was all decked up in her finery – Shazad Gul (who Zara now playfully refers to as her mom) describes their first meeting in these words;

"On seeing her, I was immediately struck by her unique beauty and typical Eastern features. Later on, conversing with her I was pleased by her good-nature and mannerisms but all this would not have prompted me to place an entire film on her shoulders had Khawar not assured me that he was confident she would be able to live up to the challenge."

After having worked with her, I have come to the conclusion that Zara has a good future ahead of her in this industry and as long as she has Khawar behind her, the camera will continue to love her. A mite unprofessional in her attitude, a few tantrums here and there but no major problems and a lot of dedication makes her an ideal choice for most producers – especially those who can afford her.

At this point in time, Zara is stuck in a dilemma – after refusing twenty six films, she has now been offered two that are both making her mouth water. One is Shazad Gul's next venture which revolves around the daughter of an airforce person and the second is Samina P's love polygon which has four boys all interested in Zara. The problem is that both films are to be shot on the same dates and Zara knows herself well enough to be aware of the fact that she'd never be able to concentrate on both films at the same time – thus, one has to be refused, but which one? If she says 'No' to Shazad Gul then she risks moving out of the good books of one of Lollywood's most powerful men, on the other hand, it has always been her dream to work on a Samina Peerzada project. Whichever way she goes, you can bet on it that Khawar Riaz will be part and parcel of her contract.

But another film and more shoots aren't the only thing occupying Zara's future plans – there is talk and pretty serious talk of our young damsel branching out into singing. She has already given a performance at Yusuf Salli's haveli where she accompanied Khawar and Ali Haider for a Basant night celebration; on a special request from Yusuf himself, Zara agreed to an impromptu performance. Those who were there are still raving about her husky voice and Malika Pukhraj-like expressions.

According to Zara, a future album with Ali Haider is in the pipeline;

Why Ali Haider?

" Because he asked me first."

But why do you want anyone to ask – why can't you just take the plunge on your own? "Because I don't think I'm famous enough to be able to ensure the success of a solo album". Is she just being modest or has Ali made a too-good-to-refuse deal?

It seems as if things are flowing along pretty smoothly for young Zara Sheikh right now – during this interview alone, Khawar received a call from a TV producer willing to offer Rs. 40, 000 for a long play requiring only a day's commitment from Zara. If this is her current going rate, God only knows where she'll end up after she wins a National award.

But the question now is why, if life is being so good to her nowadays, is she smoking like a chimney? During the few hours I spent with her, she smoked at least six if not seven cigarettes. Zara claims that she started smoking recently, after the release of her film to be more specific.

"I know a lot of models start smoking because they want to kill their appetite but with me, I had to with the tensions that were suddenly invading my life and the company I was hanging out with. When everyone around you is smoking, you end up picking up the habit too – right chanda," chanda being Zara's favourite word and she uses this ruthlessly for anyone ranging from a journalist to a make-up artist to a fellow model lighting a cigarette for her.

But isn't she afraid of the nicotine damaging her skin?

"That is the only factor which restrains me from lighting a new cigarette. I'm unbelievably finicky about my skin and don't even bother doing make-up if I'm not working. My skin is my biggest asset and I take care of it in the same spirit."

And what would your biggest flaw be?

"My figure? I wish I had more curves."

When we put your assets and flaws together, do you think we end up with a product that is beautiful?

"I'll say you'll end up with a product that satisfies the requirements of the modelling world but that is from nowhwere Miss World material."

And who do you consider as Miss World material?

"Meera and Aaminah Haque."

Khawar Riaz and Mekaal (the male model accompanying us) groan and get Zara all flustered up to which, she replies;

"Well, I actually meant Vinny,"

Vinny and Aaminah – there is a big difference there, a difference of many inches if I am not mistaken.

Is there anything in her short career that Zara regrets so far? Any project that she wishes she had not said yes to? The Jazz ad campaign for instance;

"No, I don't regret that campaign at all – true the maulvis did give it a lot of bad publicity and some people pointed fingers at me but overall, I think the campaign managed to make some important statements about liberalism in a democratic society and I'm glad to have helped make them. As far as the maulvis' point of view is concerned, even if they did have some sensible arguments on their side what I fail to understand is why did they just find fault with the Jazz billboard – how come they never object to the half nude women painted outside cinemas. If the Jazz board is un-Islamic then so are those boards?" [Point taken, Zara]

wini thumbnail
Anwer Maqsood

Anwar Maqsood, a member of one of Pakistan's most talented families, is not a man to take on one on one. His razor sharp wit is a weapon he wields deftly and with serious effect. His biting satire can be seen on the state-run television channel - which is a surprise at times even to him - and on the private channel in Pakistan in the guise of teleplays, serials and stage shows.

He is one of the country's most popular comperes and writers and has even begun acting with more frequency.

However, what most people do not know is that Anwar Maqsood - the writer, actor, poet, compere - is basically a painter. He has been painting for over three decades now and is one of the more serious names in the world of Pakistani art today. "That's how I make my living," he says. He is the quintessential renaissance man.

Raised in a family that not only dabbled in the arts but made it a point to excel at them, Anwar Maqsood grew up in an environment where creativity - in whatever form or shape it decided to manifest itself - was encouraged and talent was appreciated. Two of his older sisters, Fatima Surraiya Bajia and Zehra Nigah are well-established names in Urdu literature. Another sister is, as he himself puts it, the Sadequain of ghararas', the pioneer of shaadi-wear in the country. Yet another sister is a journalist and works for the BBC.

Here he talks about his art, his family, the state of the nation, and population control!

"When I was young, we used to live in P.I.B Colony and Shakir Ali's house was next to ours. He was a good friend of my brother-in-law's so he would come to our house often. He would come and paint at our house and I would watch him paint. He would often ask me why I, too, did not paint? Those days I didn't even have enough money for bus fare, where would I have got the money to buy paints? So he used to provide me with paints.

"I had my first one-man show in 1958 in Karachi. All my paintings were sold out in less than half an hour. There were 50 pictures on display and 40 out of the 50 were bought by Jamshed Marker. Painting is how I make my living.

"Why do most of us dabble in the arts? Well, I suppose because we have all always been beset with worries! So it was always the talent that came in handy. If we didn't have worries, perhaps we wouldn't be doing what we're doing.

"We came from Hyderabad - 10 brothers and sisters. I didn't go to school for a few years because we didn't have the money for the tuition. So everyone was busy doing something or the other. The relationship I shared with my brothers and sisters was not a conventional one, in that we were friends rather than siblings. We would criticize each other's work, saying yes, this is good' or no, this doesn't work'. There was a lot of encouragement at home in that sense.

"My relationship with my son Bilal is like it would be with a childhood friend. It's not a father-son relationship. I still play cricket with him in the rain, we go on the floor together, we joke around a lot; for instance, if Bilal hears a good joke, he tells me first, and vice-versa. Bilal only has one problem: he is anti-smoking, anti-drinking, and anti-paan. That is the only bone of contention between us. And it's the same sort of relationship I share with my daughter as well.

wini thumbnail
Saeed Anwar

Born:06 September 1968, Karachi

The best opening batsman in the World today...Saeed Anwar. He is the one player whom anyone would pay to watch in action. A tremendous eye, excellent timing and his super aggressive approach to batting has made him one of the Top three Batsman in the World.

Saeed Anwar began his career in 1988 but was not a permanent member of the team till late 93. When he first came into the side, he came in as a middle order batsman, however, the Captain, Imran Khan asked him to open the innings for the team. At that point, Saeed began playing as an opener in the domestic circuit and made his way back to the Pakistan team, this time as a specialist opener.

He was always a tremendous one day player, but now he has also developed into a brilliant Test Match batsman, having an Test Match Batting average of 46.85 and a one day average of 40.51. Simply remarkable for a player who had to come back after learning a totally new aspect of the game, ie opening the batting. Saeed has the highest number of One day International centuries for Pakistan and the second highest in the world. Desmond Haynes of the West Indies. Haynes scored 17 hundreds in 238 One day games, whereas Saeed has already scored 17 One Day International Tons in just 179 matches.

A remarkable record. Saeed also holds the world record for the highest score in a limited overs International match. He broke Viv Richards record of 189,when he scored a magnificent 194 off just 146 balls with 22 4's and 5 6's against India at India's Independence Cup Tournament. Today, Saeed Anwar forms the World's Best Opening Pair in any form of the game, along with his partner, Aamir Sohail. He's just 30 years of age and has a long career ahead of him.

Many say, he may be the next Pakistan Captain..Which coud be true. Saeed was offered the Captaincy twice this season, however, he declined as he wanted to concentrate on his batting. However, we may still see him Captaining the side in the near future. Either way, Saeed is a remarkable player..a player full of class,a 100% team man, and a player whom all bowlers around the world have come to fear.. Once again...a True Pakistan Cricketing Legend..Saeed Anwar.

wini thumbnail
Shahid Khan Afridi

Born:1 March 1980, Khyber Agency

Shahid Khan Afridi; called in as a last minute replacement leg spinner for the One Day Tournament in Kenya in 1996, amazed everyone by smashing a century off 37 balls after being promoted to one down.

The promise shown in his early batting in international cricket has gradually worn off due to poor self-control and perhaps team management. He has not been called upon to play regular first class cricket to improve his batting skills, instead has been made a regular pinch hitter who after a few defensive strokes begins lashing out regardless of line and length.

This may have put a halt on his learning progress and he now needs to play far more carefully to retain his place in the team. The percentages were clearly against him and as he has so far failed to 'learn from experience', the tremendous expectations from him are subsiding.

Afridi probably introduced the fastest spin delivery the game has seen in recent years. Delivering quick leg spinners with an occasional even quicker one, he surprised and beat many batsmen through his unorthodox bowling. But with exposure, batsmen have now got used to him and fewer wickets fall Afridi's way. Never a significant turner or flighter of the ball, he has now just become a run stopper in the middle of the innings rather than a wicket taker.

Shahid Khan Afridi's extravagant bowling avg. (+45) and higher than average economy rate, coupled with his ever falling batting scores have begun to raise doubts and do not reflect the initial promise shown by this hugely popular youngster.