Views

Users

Frequent Posters

deactivated thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Interviews : Lollywood : Meera

Interviews : Lollywood : Meera : The cinnamon queen of local screen
She's been ruling the Lollywood roost for sometime now, having proved herself with some great performances and prestigious awards. Now she's snatched the carpet from under her competitor's feet once again, with a spectacular performance in Ajab Gul's Khoey ho turn kahan.
Here Meera tells all about how she sailed through the screen with a role as tough as hers. And bares her views on the industry, her coveted guest list and future spouse qualities.

Q: How do you feel after the success of Khoey Ho Tum Kahan?

A: It is all by the grace of God and the love of my viewers who appreciated my role. I was not expecting all this.

Q: How did you manage enact the role of a psychotic girl?

A: I didn't get the script before performing so I had to think on the spot as to how to go about the role. But I managed the best I could, thanks to the director who helped a lot.

Q: What makes a good actor?

A: Acute observation, good judgement and above all travelling is the prime source of education and learning. I study faces of people to know their inner feelings. This has helped me become a good performer. But my inner belief is that an actor is born not made.

Q. How much contribution is put in by a Director to polish an artist?

A. A lot. It is only the director who can bring out the inner qualities of can bring out the inner qualities of an artist. Nobody knew how much potential I had until Samina (Peerzada) and (Ajab) Gul realized it and cast me accordingly.

Q: How much are you in favor of showing flesh on screen?

A: Sometimes it is the demand of the scene, which is fine by me but 1 am against unnecessary exposure.

Q: Are you selective about your rotes?

A: I am more concerned with quality then quantity. My viewers belong to an educated class so I feel it is my duty not to disappoint them.

Q. Are you planning to launch your own film at some point?

A. No! I'm not a rich businesswoman. My only job is to perform. However, I am concerned about the present situation where mostly illiterate producers have control over Lollywood. It is the need of the day to produce films like Tere Piyar Mein and Khoey Ho Tum Kahan, if we want to give a good name to our film industry.

Q. In such a situation are you in favor of co-production?

A. Yes, very much. It will help a lot for our technicians and artists to learn from others to improve quality. India can be a major market for us. I believe that if we cannot compete with the Indians then we should join them otherwise they will destroy us.

Q. What kind of a role do you wish to perform?

A. Comedy, "Aur Pagal Larki Ka" rote.

Q. Suppose you are going to hold a party: which five personalities of the world you will invite?

A. (Thinking hard) That would have to be Bill Clinton, Elizabeth Taylor, Samina Peerzada, Ajab Gul and Yash Chopra.

Q. What is your true nature?

A. I'm very romantic. Nature in all its forms attracts me—flowers, mountains, beaches and waterfalls fascinate me! My favorite places in the world are Maldives and Venice.

Q. Your view about life?

A. The same as Buddha's, 'Life is not bed of roses and there is no university like adversity'.

Q. Where do you prefer to spend your holidays?

A. In London or America.

Q. what kind of people attract you?

A. Straightforward, educated people who have a love for art.

Q. Any wish in life?

A. I wish I were born in Hollywood. Pakistan has a suffocating environment in the field of art.

Q. The characteristics you would look for in your future husband?

A. He should be loving—and wealthy too.

Edited by indian_masala - 17 years ago
deactivated thumbnail

Interviews : Lollywood : Humayun Saeed

Humayun Saeed
He's played the bad boy on free TV many time. Now he wants you to pay the price. It was sort of predictable that Humayun Saeed would become larger than life. his whole television career seemed to tailor-made for commercial cinema.
From the seductive intruder in Mehreen Jabbar's 'Ab Tum Ja Saktay Ho' to a runaway who returns home only to be poisoned by his own father in Yasir Akhtar's 'Zehr', Humayun did his homework well. He may not have the face but he certainly has the attitude. And it's wicked. TV actors who climb the ladder to big bad Lahore usually end up returning home with their tails tucked neatly in between their legs. With 'Inteha' doing roaring business even on the Punjab circuit, Humayun has fortunately been spared such an unbecoming homecoming.

So what was the role that has catapulted him into the spotlight? Well, thrown in a bit of stammer and M-M-M-Meera could have played K-K-K-Kiran. But let's give the devil his due. For a man who talks softly and seems tied to his wife of coarse. In 'Inteha' of coarse, Humayun looks far from nervous - he mocks Zeeshan, side-steps Resham and thrashes Meera with equal ease. All in a day's work on the set, and the actor zips up his pants at the end of the scene to go home - and dream to instand stardom.

Some dreams of coarse, come true.
Interview :

Q: As a rule TV actors rarely hit the big time in films. So you must be feeling lucky.

A: I think that this whole talk about TV actors failing to make it in films is too much of an exaggeration. It's not a rule of thumb that every artist making the switch is bound to fail. javed Shaikh made it big in films, his brother Salim didn't do all that bad either. Babar Ali is one of your top heroes at the moment and all these men made it to films from TV. I'm confident that I too can follow in their footsteps.

Q: But all these men performed on television for just abreif period of time, using TV merely as a stepping stone to get into films. Established small screen actors haven't had quite the same luck.

A: Yes, you are right there, but I do hope I can adapt to the requirements of the big screen. Actually, I would like to be able to keep my feet in both camps.

Q: And do you think you have the staying power ?

A: I am confident that I can perform adequately.

Q: You play the villain in 'Inteha'. Was that by chioce ?

A: Lets just say that I chose to play the role I was offered. Playing Zafar was a very challenging undertaking for me in the sense that the character of a psychopath obsessed with a woman has been played many times - by Sharukh Khan, by Nana Patekar and by Shaan. It was a fomidable task to play the role in a way that it wouldn't look influenced by the work of any of these actors.

Q: So what ground rules of performance did you lay for yourself to ensure dissimilarity ?

A: Quite a few. And then Samina helped along the way in fact, she kept a check on my delivery to the point where she would caution me the way I moved my hands if she thought that the gesture looked too similar to one used by lets say Nana Patekar.

Q: How helpful or unhelpful did your television background prove in playing Zafar ?

A: It was more of a question of how not to play it like I'd play it on TV. I tried my best to keep in mind the difference while performing. And like I said earlier, Samina kept a check on every move that I made so that things have come out looking pretty okay I think.

Q: Did Inteha in your view have all the ingredients cinemagoers are use to seeing in our films? After all there were quite a few non-film-based names in its credit roll.

A: First of all, I don't believe thatt every film has to be made to suit the audience. The choice of an average viewer might be a given constant but the audience is far more fluid than we think. 'Dil Se' was flop in India but it did great business all over the world. That is the equation 'Inteha' was made with in mind.

Q: With in your view is the one ingredient a film needs to have in order to survive at the box-office ?

A: Good screenplay. And a story line that can keep you in its grip for three hours while you sit in a cramped theatre with little or no-airconditioning.

Q: Do you think Inteha has that kind of a gripping storyline ?

A: I think it does. And Samina has done a very good job with the direction.

Q: I've heard that Samina that Samina is very demanding director who gave you guys a very hard time. Like Zeeshan was telling me about the fight scene in which she made the two of you throw real punches at each other. And you were repeatedly sprayed with water on a very cold night.

A: It was a tough scene to do all right. but all that had to be done in order to make the fight appear authentic. And not at any point did Samina force any of us to do anything. She made a few suggestions and it was the understanding that no one had to do anything they didn't feel comfortable doing.

Q: What about the time she made the stuntman jump through a glass door that had real glass in it.

A: We use real glass in all Pakistani films. And every stunt involves a certain amount of risk to perform. This particular stuntman was a little wet behind the ears and we used him only as a last option.

Q: But how would you justify Samina's remark subsequent to his injury when you rushed to help him. And I quote here, "Rehney do. yeh log to aadi hotaiy hain iss cheez kay" (let him be, these guys are used to all this.

A: That's absolutely not true. She never said any such thing. In fact she was sympathetic towards him. The guy had merely bruised himself and Mishi and I helped him with the bandage.

Q: Had you been the hero of the film who would you have wanted yourself be paired with ?

A: Resham. I find her far more attractive than Meera.

Q: Who do you think is a better performer though ?

A: If you really want to know, I have always found Resham's performance far superior to Meera's. But after having worked under Samina's direction I think Meera's ability to perform has improved considerably.

Q: And what about you. Did you have fun ?

A: Yes I did (smiles). I always enjoy my work.

Q: Does the idea of a real-life affair with Resham tickle your fancy ?

A: Yar, my wife doesn't give me a chance to have affairs. And I don't think she plans to change her mind anytime soon.

Q: What if she decides to look the other way just for this one time ?

A: Then I might go for it.

Q: With Resham ?

A: With Manish Koirala. I met her recently in America. Juhi Chawla's cousin who's worked with me in this TV serial introduced us. Apparently she'd watched one of my long plays and thought I had done a good job.

Q: So you had a fling with her ?

A: Yeah!

Q: A fling, as in a romantic liaison ?

A: No not that.

Q: But you just said that you had a fling with her.

A: That was a slip of the toungue. Listen my wife knows thet I am absolutely faithful to her so don't try to get me into trouble here.

Q: What your wife doesn't know is that you have been ogling at Meera throughout the shoot here. In fact I can bet that you are feeling a little jealous of Zeeshan right now, since he's the one in the car with Meera ?

A: Yar, I've worked with Meera in the film for almost two years. In some of the shots that we took I was closer to her than Zeeshan can ever get in that car so sorry to disappoint you but no I don't feel jeolous of him. And let's just say that when I'm with my wife other woman take a backseat in my life.

deactivated thumbnail

Interviews : Lollywood : Moammar Rana
"I have often been ignored"
S.Shahnawaz Najmi talks to Moammar Rana, scion of a cricketing family, who has made it big in the film industry.
Moammar Rana, once a new-comer now an accomplished actor, has enthralled us with his performances in Urdu as well as in Panjabi movies. He definitely has that 'something' that makes him different from the legions of other new-comers, who come to Lollywood to make it big in cinema. Although he is only a few years old in Lollywood, his acting abilities speak otherwise. The journey to prove that he was hero material was a long and arduous undertaking, and today finally his tenacity has paid off and he is a saleable hero, an achievement which is a rarity in an industry dominated by multi-starrers.

An actor with an inexhaustible intensity, he has had critics raving and women swooning over him. Called Momi by colleagues, family, friends and cinegoers alike, he is a bundle of contradictions. He might be hardworking but has a reputation for being temperamental. He has a terrific sense of humor, but it is tied up with a mercurial temper.

Momi is also very punctual. He invited me to his residence at three in the afternoon and I reached there at 2:45 PM. I had to wait for him for 15 minutes outside on a hot summers day before I was able to meet him. When I complained about this, he replied flippantly that this is your fault, you should have come at three.

The talk with Moammar was forthright and one could tell this was a man who did not hold back his opinions on grounds of diplomacy, much preferring to speak his mind clearly. The movie that proved to be his big break was ground breaking 'choorian'.

What is his opinion regarding the success of 'Choorian'?
"It was the time when Urdu movies were resurgent with the audience but 'Choorian' diverted the audiences back to Punjabi films. Unfortunately, now all the directors and producers have started started to produce typical Punjabi formula movies patterned after 'Choorian'. I'll name a few like, 'Jatti da Wair', 'Badmash Puttar', 'Gujar Badshah' etc. They forget that 'Choorian' was a success simply because it was different. I am also responsible for this blatant copying because I did 'Bali Jatti' and 'Jatti da wair', but those were my kitchen movies", he explained.

On the recent turning down of various movie offers. According to Momi, the reasons why he returned down advances on a few offers were stereotypical roles and bad scripts. He knows that our public has become very cognizant, they can forecast the content and subject of Shaan, Momi or Saud's movies.

"I have advised directors many times not to make action movies. The public doesn't want to see murder or mayhem. There should be more comic or romantic movies."

One wonders how he chose to become an actor, coming from a family of cricketers.
"I used to play cricket during my college days at G.C., and was exhausted with my studies. Therefore, I joined the film industry because I needed money at that time. Now I have learnt how to earn money, to sign a film, to tackle the producer etc. My father said, live your life in your own way and always go to the top.

While talking about the prerequisites of a hero, he told TNS that it is a very difficult a pretty face is not enough to guarantee ones success.

About an unfortunattable moment while filming,
"It was Hasnain's 'Wadda', they took me up 85 feet high in a crane and my hands were tide with a rope which was not knotted properly and I was crying with fear."

Plans for working on television:
Momi is keen to work for television. He condemned the general attitude that a film star is thought to be a flop when he or she starts to work for TV, during his film career. According to his assessment, it is the masses who are the final arbitrators of an actor's ability.

On being called arrogant and having an attitude problem:
Momi strongly condemned the accusation, although we often read about his disputes with different personalities in showbiz. Momi is quite different from other professionals in the business due to his unique nature and family background. He is very strict about his scheduling.

Regarding the recent decision to cut back on his work hours:
Currently he is completing his previous work and not signing any new movies. From next month, he will work only in two shifts while Saturday and Sunday will be for his family and his recently acquired prized possession - a second hand sports car - over which he was beaming like a proud papa!

"I have told every one that I will not work in June, July and August." he said. He wants to take it easy and enjoy life.

Thoughts on his upcoming releases:
He is very optimistic that all his three forthcoming movies will be super hits. These are Dyed Noor's 'Mehndi Walay Haath' (Panjabi), 'Dil Deewana hay'(Urdu) and Shehzad Rafiq's 'Rukhsati'. He praised Shazad Rafiq as a good director and acknowledged that he regarded Syed Noor as his teacher and mentor. Talking of another one of his ventures nearing completion, in which we will see a new face to Momi he said, " 'Sapnay Apnay Apnay' is a comedy movie and the public will see me in a different role."

Once again Moammar Rana is appearing with Saima in these movies. On the Saima-Moammar jori, according to Momi, when he had been initially signed with Saima for the first time in 'Choorian', people said that he was appearing with a herion who looked much older than him. But now that this pair has been established and the public appreciates their performance there has been a deluge of offers for them together.

Breaking the usual norm of Lollwood with an announced and much celebrated marriage, Momi wed last year, opening the floodgates of disappointment, for his fans. Why did he suddenly decided to get married? "You can say that the one reason was telephone calls from girls. But I still receive such calls as they are my fans. It was a love marriage."

But for all the success and accolades heaped upon him, Momi has a few bones to pick with the industrywalahs.

On his complaints against the industry:
"Most of my movies have been superhits, but our media - both electronic and printed - tried to prove that this is just because of the efforts of the director or actress. I have often been ignored." he said.

This candid star in the larger than life world of Lollywood, has illicited a strong reaction from all filmwallahs.

Few label him as arrogant and moody and then there are those who vouch for his professionalism. Our verdict is out:
This determined star is here to stay.
deactivated thumbnail
Saima: Veiled Beauty

Saima is set to surprise her fans in a different garb in Zameen Ke Khuda. The stunning star's character in Masood Butt's new movie requires her to wear an embroidered veil. Saima has taken this role as a challenge as it requires her to emote with her eyes only, since the veil will cover her face.

Moving From the Big To Small Screen

After trying hard and failing to succeed in movies, director Altaf Hussain has decided to get into TV serials. He will be directing two TV serials, Apna Ghar Sambhal Kurey and Na Khelo Zindagi Se. His last two films flopped big time and his last hope is his much-delayed movie Aurat Ek Khilona. Everybody is hoping that at least his last effort does well.

Launch of Film Actor Shahid's Son Kamran

Ever since he went to the UK, former superstar Shahid gave movies a break. But he has now gone to Pakistan to produce a TV serial that will launch his son Kamran's acting career. Titled Chandni, the serial will be directed by Iqbal Kashmiri.

Veena Malik to Try Her Luck in Pushto Movies

Vivacious Veena Malik is going to star in a Pushto film. Her co-stars in Pakhtooniyar will be Pushto superstar Shahid Khan and Sonu Lal. Veena is the second Urdu star after Saima to work in a Pushto film. Shahid will also be playing an important role in the serial.

Laila Busy with Developing Jealousies Around!

After her big fracas with Resham earlier this year, controversial vixen Laila is now hitting out at Meera after the actress signed for the Pakistani version of the film Devdas. Laila feels that producers are too lenient with Meera. They are prepared to wait for her while she goes to India for her Bollywood assignments. Maybe Meera and
Resham could team up against Laila to shut her up.

Diligent Zara Sheikh

Producers of Kabhi Pyar Na Karna are full of praise for Zara Sheikh. Despite a recent motorcycle accident in India, Sheikh did not miss a single shooting schedule. The film, which has been partly shot in Mumbai with an item song by Neha Dhupia, will be screened later this year. The songs for this movie are being recorded in India.

October 19, 2006

And Yet Another Swap Happens b/w the Sub-Continent

This time its Reema!!

Reema is happy to receive an offer from US-based Pakistani producer, Najaf Butt, who will cast her in a movie that includes Bollywood stars Naseeruddin Shah and Irfan Khan. The film is being directed by Bengali filmmaker Ajay Dutt. She has apparently requested the producer to e-mail the script to her. Reema has always shown interest in good Bollywood roles. The movie will be shot in India and Malaysia.

Saba Parvez: Lead Actress for Ik Din Loat Ke Aaoonga

Saba Parvez will be working in Javed Fazil's Main Ik Din Loat Ke Aaoonga. Being shot in India and Pakistan, Parvez's first film has Nadeem and Humayyun Saeed in lead roles. Parvez is a veteran TV star and has been acting since the '70s.

Javed Sheikh To Undergo A Bypass

Javed Sheikh has recently not been feeling well.
Soon after returning from Umra, Javed Sheikh was admitted to hospital with chest pain. After initial tests, he was told to do an angiography and undergo bypass surgery. This news has caused great anxiety in the film community. He is now out of hospital and feeling much better. Recently, Sheikh had been very busy with his ventures in Bollywood.

We wish javed a healthy recovery

Megha: Dancing Queen of Lollywood

Oomph girl Megha is learning some modern dances routines these days. Though she has a passion for dancing, she says that she was not able to keep in touch with the latest trends in dancing as she was too busy with her commitments on stage, film and television. "This is not your regular film-type, commercial dances, that's why I am interested in learning the latest in dance," Megha says.

October 15, 2006

Fariha Parvez Faces Abuse

Fariha Parvez had a terrible experience at her recent concert. The singer was the target of abuse by a section of the crowd. Parvez is all shaken up and says that she will not take part in any more shows. Senior as well as junior musicians have protested all over Pakistan and want an immediate inquiry into this incident.

Arbaaz Khan: Multilingual Hero

Arbaz Khan is the hero of Akbar Bukhari's Sohna Munda. The handsome Pathan is a favourite choice among Punjabi film producers. Apart from doing Urdu and Punjabi films, he is also a hit in Pushto films. Khan says he is willing to work in films in any language if the script is good.

Shehzadi To Be Seen in Alot of Upcoming Films

The rage of Lahore theatre, Anjuman Shehzadi is getting plenty of offers to act in Lollywood. Known for her glamorous roles on stage, Shehzadi will make her debut in the film Sher Babbar, which will be released by the end of the year. Shehzadi is known for her witty dialogues and graceful dance routines.

Kaleem Brings together Shafi and Nadeem

Senior film scribe and screenplay writer Parvez Kaleem has finally completed his latest movie, Tum Se Pyar Hai. Nadeem and Shafi Mohammad play central roles in this movie. Kaleem feels that casting these two highly talented stars together is a coup of sorts. It will be visual treat to watch the two actors in the same frame.

Syed gives final touches to movie

Syed Noor is adding the last touches to his Urdu movie Jhoomar. The film will be ready for release later this year. Over the years, Noor has won more accolades for his Punjabi films than his Urdu movies. With Jhoomar, he is trying to win over the Urdu audience.

October 11, 2006

Sara Chaudhry the Stunner

Sara the stunner
Popular compere and TV star Sara Chaudhry has been voted the most stunning face on Pakistan TV. Besides her busy schedule on the small screen, Chaudhry also features in many music videos, the most popular one bieng Ibrar's Teri Gal Karni. She has also been praised by critics for her roles on the silver screen. Chaudhry who did a commendable job in her debut film, Josh, will soon be in the much-delayed Uraan.

Pakistani Actress Khushbu Banned

Khushbu was recently banned by the Pakistan Home Deparment from appearing on stage for a month. The ban was imposed because the actress had done some vulgar scenes in a drama in Faisalabad. The Home Department has warned producers to remove any kind of vulgarity or body exposure from their plays.

Jealousy killed the cat

Ever seen two cats fight? At a recent social event Meera and Nirma lost their cool and had a tussle. It was a shame as this party had many distinguished guests. Jealousy seems to have sparked the fight as one of Meera's rich friends from
Dubai was attending the party and Nirma plonked herself next to him. Meera is quite an emotional person and is known for her violent outbursts. Apparently, after Meera cautioned Nirma, the two got into a heated argument. The women had to be separated as matters got
out of hand.

Nadeem Visits India After 2 Decades

Approximately two decades after his last visit to India, veteran star Nadeem was in Hyderabad, to shoot for Javed Fazil's Ik Din Loat Ke Aaoonga. The shooting schedule also included Mumbai where he met some TV and film producers who offered him roles in their production. Nadeem has yet to accept the offers as he is busy with work in Pakistan
deactivated thumbnail

Movie Review : Ghar Kab Aao Gai
Movie Review : Ghar Kab Aao Gai For the first time ever, a film is being produced on Anti-terrorism in Pakistan, which shows sky-surfing fight sequences alongwith underwater shooting.
The film opens in Karachi showing the ethnic violence and nerve-shattering massacre due to terrorist activity with people weeping and crying over their dead and loved ones.
The story develops showing despatch of certain officers for anti-terrorist training to Philippines. The film further opens in Manila where two Pakistan Armed Forces personnel along with some Pakistani students and tourists attending short refresher courses at Manila Institute of Management are kidnapped in a hostile attack by terrorists. The terrorists are led by Shamoon Oberoi, second in command to Charles Sobhraj, born in Vietnam and brought up in Italy, proclaimed to be the deadliest terrorist in the whole world.
The center hold of these terrorists lies in Palao Island - an independent privately owned territory which lies 500 km east of Mindano (Philippines) in Pacific Ocean. Charles Sobhraj, owner of this expensive island, is a ruthless extremist involved in illegal activities like smuggling of smart bombs and kidnapping for ransom. Click Here For Full Size Picture !!
His main target is to send terrorists to Pakistan to massacre innocent people, plant bombs and create panic in the country, especially in Karachi. The Government High-ups in Pakistan receive a demand for ransom and release of terrorist held by the Government for interrogation and investigation in various terrorists activities, in exchange for the Pakistani hostages held by them in Palao Island.
The Government refuses the demand of the terrorists and decides that there shall be no ransom paid and no release of suspects. Consequently, they order an undercover mission for the release of their hostages in Palao Island. Click Here For Full Size Picture !!
The mission is put underway with three trained commandos of the Army, a Major and two Captains, all experts in mortal combat, explosives and chemical weapons training. A fourth lady doctor Captain Neaha, already in Manila, is also a military communication expert and join them there, making up a complete team of professionals

The mission leaves the country with a touching farewell by their families, all hopeful of their safe return. What happened in Manila? Did they succeed in their mission. Watch the movie ........

deactivated thumbnail

Movie Review : Jinnah The Movie
Jinnah - The Movie Jinnah - The Movie is in essence a glowing tribute to a man who hasn't only left behind him a legacy, a nation of devouts, but also revered by an age as one
of the greatest statesmen in the history of mankind.
The story of a man, whose unflinching resolve and single minded, devotion resulted in the creation of a homeland for the Muslims of the sub-continent.
The film revolves around the man, who was a young idealist, a passionate human being, a distinguished lawyer, a father and the sheer embodiment of strength, character and an indomitable will. The story unfolds, as the man remembered as the father of a nation, succumbs to the consumption that had continued to plague him and that he had kept at bay by sheer will. In a comatose state as his life ebbs away, he relives the journey that was Pakistan.
It is 1947, India has gained its independance. The British colonial territory is partitioned into India (largely Hindu) and Pakistan (majority Muslim). It is a painful process and is accompanied by bloodshed. A year after he has realized his dream, Mohammed Ali Jinnah, the founder of Pakistan, begins to succumb to the illness that has dogged him for some time. Click Her For A Full Size Picture !
He is rushed to the hospital and when the ambulance stalls on the highway, his life begins to ebb. In his coma Jinnah relives the truimphs and disappointments of his life, the drama of his ideals, his romance, his happiness and the tragic death of his young wife. JINNAH tells the extraordinary story of how India was partitioned, the final intrigues and the debates between Viceroy Lord Mountbatten, Jinnah, Gandhi, Nehru and the mercurial Lady Edwina Mountbatten. It chronicles the journey taken by the young idealist Jinnah as he realizes that his dream of freeing the people of India from foreign rule is being tampered and twisted by the realities and cruelties of politics.
It is the story of a practical visionary who knew that on his world hung the future of a nation and who knew, too, that such a birth meant a division, of a country and of his own family, since his only daughter had married a non-Muslim and would remain in India.
Abrardh1 thumbnail
These are old news, please bring us some latest news and gossips.
deactivated thumbnail

Features : Lollywood : Zara Proves Her Talent

LollyBolly.Com : Lollywood : Zara Shaikh
Zara Shaikh is not only a talented lady but also a very lucky actress. In her very first film " Tere Pyar Mein ", she got the role of a solo heroine. She wears attractive but decent outfits. She is also a bit naughty but not enough to be offensive.
She is lucky to work under the banner of Evernew, a big name, secondly, she got the chance to play the role of leading the lady and thirdly, the film proved to be biggest box office hit of the year, 2000.

Even during the production of "Tere Pyar Mein", Zara did receive a couple of offers, but she could not accept them as she was under an agreement with Shehzad Gul that she will not sign any other film before the release of " Tere Pyar Mein ".

After the release of her first film, she received a number of offers from prominent filmmakers, including from across the border. But she says that she will never work in any Indian film. She has studied a couple of scripts and are, negotiating with producers, but has categorically denied reports that she is demanding a sum of RS one million to work.

She has been modeling for quite some time since she was in high school. It was camera man Khawar Riaz, who introduced her to producer Shehzad Gul, who was looking for a new girl to play the role of a Sikh girl in his film "Tere Pyar Mein".

Zara denies that she signed Shan's and Samina Pirzada's films but says that she would be happy to avail this opportunity.

Believe it or not, Zara did not have the slightest idea that her first film will prove to be a hit, because the film industry is passing through a worst ever crisis. She is really very lucky that her picture was a super hit and her performance was highly appreciated. Not only this, she won the best actress Nigar Award for the year 2000.

In reply to a question about her future, Zara said that her entry into film was just an incident. She will always prefer modeling to films. But she will not hesitate to work in pictures, if she gets good team and a powerful role. She would prefer to work in TV plays.

Speaking about talented directors, she said that she thinks that Syed Noor and Hasan Askari are real good directors of our cinema and she would love to work with them.

Zara has worked in a TV play which will go on air very soon. She also has a few offers from private TV producers.

Shan and Shahrukh Khan are her favorite actors. She is impressed by Smita Patil, Shabana Azmi and Meera. She loves to see art films.

wini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Fashion's smorgasbord

In the wake of improving relations between Pakistan and India, Karachi saw what could be classified as perhaps the grand finale of fashion shows in 2003. The creations of Suneet Varma and Rina Dhaka, two recognized names from Delhi, Sana Safinaz and Faiza Samee from Karachi and the House of Dior were all presented on the same ramp, under the same spotlight.

It seemed all of Karachi's rich and famous, bold and beautiful and young and restless made up the 1,200 highly stylish guests at the beachfront hotel that served as the venue. The programme began with a light supper and ended with a classic Karachi party, fitting the fashion segment in between.

The show began with Suneet Varma, a burst of colour against an elegant sandblasted glass backdrop. The collection was an amalgamation of everything quintessential to the 17-year-old Suneet Varma label: colours, florals, sequins, tassels and of course, the signature black. The cuts were all that could possibly fit into a single collection. There were pants, skirts, tights, churidaars and saris, an odd incorporation of the modern and the classic, seemingly everything Suneet could fit into his suitcase. The colours put together were perhaps a bit too much for the eye seeking elegance and grace, but well suited to the psychedelic.

"For me, fashion is the politest way to talk about sex," said Suneet backstage. "I feel women should always look sexy, though not necessarily revealing. It took me many, many moons to get to Pakistan, but I'm glad to be here and if things continue improving between the two countries, I will definitely open a store here."

Currently, he is designing clothes for a Nicole Kidman film, tightly under wraps. He was very generous with his compliments towards Pakistani models, calling them "absolutely beautiful," and added that if Amina Haq moved to Mumbai, "she'd make it to the top in two hours."

Truly, with the exception of two girls who desperately needed the poles removed from their behinds, our girls were impressive on the catwalk.

The second segment brought on the Sana Safinaz label, introduced by modern, oriental cuts in black. There was a lot of emphasis on the trouser and shirt, especially the backs of both and minimal fuss on the dupatta. The segment began with bold solids in multi-coloured thread-work and soothed out gentle tones of peach, cream, grey and nude in silver. The collection was predictably Sana Safinaz, a bit void of surprises but undoubtedly in good taste.

One has to admit that Rina Dhaka's collection was lifting. Beginning with the live drumbeat of Pappu Saeen, it revolved around the images of Rajasthan, with plenty of colour. Apparently distasteful to most people, incorporating every conceivable ornament like baubles, mirrors, sequins, sitaras, shells and pom-poms, the clothes had a lot more character up close. There was chikan kari on stretch, mirror work, sitara work and a lot of tone-on-tone embroidery.

"I was really screwed in this show," said Rina backstage. "Being number three, I had to compromise. Things were going wrong, clothes were being worn inside out, and baubles were flying. But in a group show, you have to share."

What should have been the grand finale of the show, Faiza Samee followed Rina Dhaka. Faiza's traditional creations were in a word, breathtaking. The colour combinations, the workmanship and the styling were all immaculate. Displayed to the music of Anarkali, the farshi in tones of green edged with maroon, the bright red jamevar woven wraps and the fuchsia to red multi-toned lehnga were spectacular. Her line of short jackets and modern cuts seemed a bit off key but added to an otherwise sophisticated and well put together line.

Faiza should have closed the show, as the House of Dior was an absolute anti-climax. For one, the Dior label was limited to accessories, and that too only T-shirts, handbags and glasses. But credit goes to Freiha and the girls, especially Iraj and Amina, to put together a respectable segment by adding red berets and stunning footwear. And in all but Rina Dhaka's segment, Tariq Amin's styling was reasonable too.

On the whole, the evening, hosted by the Teachers Resource Centre, was entertaining but could have been done better. The designer lines were good but didn't represent the best of what these designers are capable of. The choreography and styling was pleasant but not as superior as one would have expected. One hopes that once air links are restored between the two countries, shows like this will become common and India and Pakistan will celebrate the growth of fashion together.

deactivated thumbnail

Special Feature : He Afraids of heights?

Lollywood : Features : Babar Ali
To work with giant artistes like Rabat Kazmi and Sohail Azghar was indeed a very difficult task, but he managed it successfully. Iffat Rahim played romantic lead opposite him. "Kanwal" was probably his first comedy serial but he could not do full justice to his role opposite to Maria Jalali and Talat Iqbal.
This experiment of Babar was liked by all. It was followed by yet another comedy serial "Sheri and Juzi", which was written by veteran writer Anwar Maqsood. But for some reasons probably because of its title it could not become popular with masses.

"She Jee" also a light entertainment on the line of a comedy film was enjoyed.

Like some of our present 'heroes', Babar Alt also started his acting career from television screen. He was introduced by KTV senior producer Qasim Jalali in his serial "Labbaik", in which he played the role of Mohammad Bin Qasim, which was highly appreciated by viewers. Seniors predicted that he got the talent to become a super star one day and he proved it. As there was no handsome actor available, he was again given chance to play yet another historic role in "Babar", but unfortunately this time he could not come upto the expectations of its makers or viewers for one or the other reasons. However, his third serial "Nange Paon" proved a big hit by family audience. Shakil and Rubina Ashraf were his co-stars in this serial.

Film producer Sajjad Gul's "Pakistan Hamara Hai" was Babar's first long play which was telecast on the occasion of August 14, 1998 and received huge popularity.

He also performed in musical program "Ye Jahan" in which Mishi Khan was his leading lady in the program. "Ideal" was probably his last TV play, which was also directed by him.

After the success of his first ever feature film "Jeeva" in 1995, he did not get time for mini screen, but he could never end his association with the television which established him as an actor.

There are some filmgoers who believe that heroes fighting simultaneously with dozens of 'goondas' do the stunts themselves.

But like many artistes, he is afraid of heights. According to actor-director Ajab Gul, Babar Ali was asked to climb a small hill for a scene of his under production film "Khoe Ho Tum Kahan". But he refused saying that he was afraid. However, after a lot of arguing, Ajab convinced him and he climbed the hill. Such risky and dangerous scenes are always filmed on duplicates, who are popularly known as 'stuntmen', for which they are paid a meager amount and 'heroes' take the credit.