Kay Kay Menon: Theres no harm if a good film also earns big money

touch_of_pink thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 9 years ago

Kay Kay Menon: There's no harm if a good film also earns big money

Abhimanyu Mishra,TNN | Jan 20, 2015, 12.00 AM IST
Kay Kay Menon: There's no harm if a good film also earns big money
Kay Kay Menon

He has proved his acting acumen time and again with powerful screen presence and some convincing performances over the years.

Kay Kay Menon continues to make his stand clear that he only believes in "cinema with the intent of posterity" and not the "cinema which is made for three days." The actor, who was in Ahmedabad recently to promote a television show, talked to Ahmedabad Times about his years on television, his will to continue doing good cinema and how he thinks commercial cinema is nothing but a collage of elements which is now essential to deliver a hit. Excerpts:

You have done television before, but we haven't seen you on small screen for a long time now.
I used to enjoy doing television when it was in the phase of those one hour shows like Rishtey, Gubbare et al. Those were such strong shows with tight stories with a relevant message and there was scope for you as an actor. Now TV has become very frivolous. That's why I don't go for award functions also. They are not just award functions anymore, but a way to appreciate television serials that are commercially viable. TRPs are all important on TV and I don't believe in that game.

Would you like to come back to television given a good offer?
Of course! I have always believed that television is a very strong medium to convey stories, stronger than even movies. On television, you have more scope to explore a subject as it gives you more time. Having a serial at your disposal that would run for 52 episodes provides ample time to delve deep into a subject, which is not possible with movies. But nobody wants to utilize it.

You have made a few television appearances for the promotion of your film. Do you feel comfortable doing such promotions activities?
Ab tumne paap kiya hai to uska prayashit toh karna hi padega (laughs). There is a lot of 'noise' surrounding movies these days as everyone is shouting at the top of their voice ki meri baat suno. Meri picture dekho. And the sad part is that there is no 'voice,' no one has a 'voice.' And I believe in being associated with films that have a voice. If I feel that element is not there, then I would just distance myself from it. I can't pretend to do something I don't like.

So is this 'noise' because there's so much work being done or because there's no substance?
It is true that the amount of work being done has increased manifold. But that doesn't mean that the quality has gone up in the same way. There was a time when if you did good work, people would see it. Those times are gone.

There's a section of people who believe in commercial cinema and those who believe in content driven films. It's interesting that they co-exist in Bollywood.

Do they? The big names, the big banners and filmmakers will always use actors like us for the best of their purpose. But we are nowhere in the picture when it comes to being the name behind films. We can also look dashing on screen if we have designers to back us up, good make-up, stylish hairstyle and we are no less than any star. I don't say one should not earn money, but the intent should be good. Your piece of work should be worth that money you are earning. If you make a good film, then there's no harm if it achieves commercial success.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hindi/bollywood/news/Kay-Kay-Menon-Theres-no-harm-if-a-good-film-also-earns-big-money/articleshow/45940967.cms