The benevolence of old age. Nov 1-4

Eyes-Wide-Shut thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 9 years ago

The benevolence of old age

Thank you G for making this collage especially for this post, made this post all the more special. πŸ˜Š

We tend to see aging as an art of dying, getting old unceremoniously, removing the old to make way for the new but in all this dismay of aging, we forget the benevolence that old age brings. Old age brings maturity, understanding, surety, and the ability to know oneself. Old age may be a deterrent to others but for Raman and Ishita's old age is the catalyst bringing them together. They recognize their strengths and weakness; they recognize the void in their lives and know that they will need each other to age gracefully into oblivion of mundane love.

Youth is fast paced, often rash and only manages to scrap the surface of love, whereas old age is slow, beautiful and manages to unravel the deeper feelings of being in love, slowly layer by layer. This reminds of the Ghazal Ahista Ahista by Jagjit Singh.

Sarakti jaaye hain rukh se naqaab aahista aahista
Nikalta aa raha hai aaftaab aahista aahista

It's saying that the veil is slowly getting lifted off your face just like the sun is slowly rising bringing in eternal sunshine.

The veil on Ishra's relationship is slowly lifting exposing their inner desires, their insecurities, their worries, their happiness and their love for each other. Raman isn't scared of his feelings; the veil of his torturous past is lifting slowly from the beautiful present of love. He sees his present with his wife, his daughter and his family filling his life with an endless supply of happiness. With the veil lifting slowly, Ishita's radiant light is slowly enamoring his soul, where we wants to spend every minute of his day under her glowing light. He challenges her purposely to win over his mother, and then to win over his daughter, he is looking for ways to hold her, be close to her, he is looking to lose to her and giving her opportunities to win him over! He wants her so intertwined in his life that it would be impossible to untangle her from his web of love. Puttar wants his wife to win in all the challenges that life throws them because in his loss lies his victory. His victory was seeing her gleaming face while putting on the necklace and him helping her wear the earring and this victory came to him because he so graciously lost his battle to love.

Hamare aur tumhare pyar mein bas fark hai itna

Idhar to jaldi jaldi hai, udhar aahista aashista

There is a small difference in our love, I am in a hurry while you want to take things slow.

How beautiful and how aptly fitting for Ishra. Both of them are madly in love with each other but the difference is the pace and the manner of expression. After all men are from Mars and women from Venus. Raman wants to show off his priced possession his wife to the world in the best light possible, so he goes and buys a dress for her in a hurry. He wants the world to perceive her as beautiful as she is from the inside. He is eager and excited to profess his love to the world, while Ishita wants to take things slow. She wants to enjoy his attention all to herself, she wants him all to herself, she wants to love him away from the prying eyes of the world. While Raman wants to shout from the roof top, Ishita wants to savor his inner voice. She holds his hand when she sees Ashok proposing to Shagun, while all the eyes where on Ashok and Shagun, Ishita found her moment of love by holding his hand away from the prying eyes of the world. She expresses her love in the safety of their house by wearing because her love is meant only for his eyes. For Raman love is like a teenage child that needs to be tamed by wild passion, whereas for Ishita love is like an infant that needs to be cradled and coddled with intimacy.

Shab-e-furqat ka jaaga hoon faristhon ab to sone do
Kabhi fursat mein kar lena hisaab aahista aahista
[furqat=separation]

Here the poet is saying, that I have been awake all night post because of seperation, oh angels let me sleep now, you can figure out the math of life slowly slowly

Raman has been awake for the past 6 years of his life, he finally has found sleep in the arms of Ishita. He just wants to sleep in the land of dreams not worrying about the rights and wrongs of life. The angels can do the math of life slowly because sleep beckons Ravan in the arms on his beloved. He will pay for his crimes later but this moment belongs to him and his serenity. Ishita too has been awake for the past 10 years of her life and has finally found sleep in the arms of Raman. She too has erred but the math of life can take its time because this moment belongs to her dreams.  So she gave away the dress he bought her and he broke the bracelet she bought him, this time however is for their deep slumber the math of right and wrong can be done all life long. Post their buddha dance, the moment they were in each other's arms staring deep into each other's soul, serenity and calm enveloped them and the world ceased to exist. That one moment gave their tired sleepy souls the dreams it needed. Reminds of the the following lines from the song Raabta, Agent Vinod

Meherbaani jaate jaate mujhpe kar gaya
Guzarata sa lamha ek daaman bhar gaya
Tera nazaara mila,
Roshan sitaara mila
Takdeer ka Jaise koi Ishaara mila

The fleeting moment did a favor for me 
    The beautiful moment fulfilled my wishes
I got a glimpse of you,
I got a sparkling star
I got a sign from my destiny...

In old age, Ishita and Raman have realized that what they have been chasing has always been present in front of their eyes, the benevolence of old age has given them another shot at their unrequited love.

"All I know is that I've wasted all these years looking for something, a sort of trophy I'd get only if I really, really did enough to deserve it. But I don't want it anymore, I want something else now, something warm and sheltering, something I can turn to, regardless of what I do, regardless of who I become. Something that will just be there, always, like tomorrow's sky. That's what I want now"  Kazuo Ishiguro

Edit: Buddha mil gaya dance for me was a little out of character for me but then again this show hasn't explored Ishita's character to the fullest, maybe she was jovial before Subbu broke her heart, maybe she had a romantic bone in her and was afraid to show it till now. Either way there was a disconnect between me and that scene, and the problem is under exploration of Ishita's character. I really do hope we get to see Ishita open up about her past and we get to see another layer of Ishita. 

Edited by Eyes-Wide-Shut - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Eyes-Wide-Shut thumbnail
On behalf of GanBarunFan

Hey Doc 

Just came home about 30 mins ago after a long day at work and sat down to read your write up... You know how sappy gets me... I get a bit overwhelmed 'verbally' so I'm taking my easy way out.. This collage is inspired by what you wrote about ... Hope it makes sense... I missed your take the  last few days... Thank you 
In sappy heaven
G
Edited by Eyes-Wide-Shut - 9 years ago
--Sia-- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Beautiful Post Doc ...This forum is blessed with some wonderful writers like you . 

Kitna haseen hai mausam, kitanaa haseen safar hai
Sathi hai khubasurat, ye mausam ko bhi khabar hai ...
Edited by --Sia-- - 9 years ago
EkPahelii thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
EEPS page 1 on your post after ages reserve! 

Ah Doc what a lovely post as usual.

You know what I loved about this post the most - the title since to me immediately it gave way to the reply I would make to you.

I might sound crazy, I know this but at the risk of being branded insane I have to say this...if you ask me which is the most romantic movie as per me released in Bollywood in the last decade or so - I wouldnt name a SRK film, a Shahid movie or even a Ranbir Kapoor one - I would name a movie with the man who is a living legend - Amitabh Bachchan; I would name Baghban

Yeah I told you beforehand I might be branded insane, but I have reason for my insanity..let me tell you why I find this movie romantic - does it have hot scenes, God No, sexy songs - hell no, a Young leading man - definitely no but still it is to me the most romantic movie of the recent times, because while it lacked all the above mentioned things it had one thing in abundance - a message that is loud and clear - Love is ageless, its limitless...in fact the older you are, the more time you spend with your partner, the one who is really your better half, your soul mate...you love them even more with each passing day.

I need not share the story of the movie with you but I have to mention a line, a scene from it...the scene has the man, the hero - an aging, wrinkled old man reading a letter from his wife that brings tears to his eyes - the line, the words that define love though are from the heroine - a matriarch who misses her husband deeply. 

She writes to her husband - when I used to get dressed earlier, I would think of you standing beside me as you asked me to wear this saree in blue, it would look good on me, line my eyes with kohl; they look more beautiful when I do that, but ever since I came here, ever since we have parted I dont take care to look pretty, to look beautiful anymore - after all who looks at me anymore? 

I found that line to be such a beautiful, beautiful moment when I first heard it - the depth of those simple words has to be felt to be understood. 

And somehow for this post, this couple I could find no better words.

A man asked his wife to dress up in a particular outfit for a gathering; but what he really wanted was to see her in an avatar that he craved for, longed for - that of a woman who is stunningly beautiful and desirable - a woman he already desires, he wanted her to wear the garb of his desires as he gave her that outfit. 

The woman gave away the same to another woman - her husband' ex at that too! The man naturally was going to be pissed...had she merely not adorned what he chose for her, he would have let it pass...what mattered to him was his past came dressed in the vision that he longed to see his present, his future in who came clad head to toe...he wanted inhibitions shed, desires disclosed instead he got a rude surprise...he assumed his intentions, his wishes and desires arent only being rejected, worse they are being painted in the colors he doesnt wish to incorporate in his life anymore.

He got riled up because of this, angry because of this - it seemed to him perhaps he is hoping for more than he might end up with again, when suddenly he finds himself gripped, literally as his wife holds his hand when she looks upon a pair projecting romance, projecting what every girl in the world secretly longs for and likes and for a moment finds himself stunned...only for the shock to give away and his irritation at the obviously fake PDA to be replaced by love, longing and desire again...which he gets rewarded with when they find themselves alone, when no one else exists in that space apart from them in abundance...when the woman of his dreams, the woman he fantasizes about brings to life with a dash of fun, a whole lot of oomph; a glimpse of all that she has to offer to him, as she lets him know - she is his and his alone as is he hers, with the words she enunciates,  as she addresses him as My Old Man...as she lays claim upon him as hers; as she gently turns his sour mood around, enlightens him she understands him and asks him to not expect her to share what they have with the world, since its too precious, too beautiful and priceless to her πŸ˜³

A man on his knees asks a woman for her hand which she consents to only after taking a pregnant pause; the words that seem sweet to her while on surface romantic, beneath to her give her a sense of power - an authority, a supremacy when she hears - she can bring the man before her to his knees...for this couple I, me and myself is more important than a we - for them its all about the power - the scales of which are currently tipped in her favor for the moment 

While on the other end of the room as the woman looks on at the pair starry-eyed she is promised her forever by a man who stands there as her equal, who promises her that he would be her strength and her support - after all, he already has admitted she is his...

Tum ho toh hum hai ... hum hai toh sab kuch hai ... warna kuch nahi, kuch bhi nahi - Amitabh Bachchan, Baghban. 
Edited by EkPaheli - 9 years ago
Eyes-Wide-Shut thumbnail

Originally posted by: --Sia--

res for my one line comment πŸ˜³

Your one line comment conveys a lot πŸ˜Š
janu12345 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Doc...this post has left me like this... β˜ΊοΈβ˜ΊοΈβ˜ΊοΈ
I am speechless... loved each and everything you said the post!!! β€οΈπŸ˜³ Loved how you compared their love for each other... and the lines in between!😳

Raman said in one episode.. "yaadon ka kya hain naye bann jayenge"... and its amazing seeing that happen in their own RKB JKR style...πŸ˜›πŸ˜³ 

(With your previous post..I got hooked to Zindagi Gulzar Hain.. the song!😳 )
Edited by janu12345 - 9 years ago
Shivi9926 thumbnail
Hats of to you for such an awesome post. I am very fortunate to be on this forum and among such great writers. Truly blessed.
Eyes-Wide-Shut thumbnail

Originally posted by: --Sia--

Beautiful Post Doc ...This forum is blessed with some wonderful writers like you . 

Kitna haseen hai mausam, kitanaa haseen safar hai
Sathi hai khubasurat, ye mausam ko bhi khabar hai ...

Thank you Sia for calling me wonderful and a writer πŸ˜†, I am in awe of your musical taste! We need to exchange notes on music. Beautiful song, brings lyrical beauty to my post. πŸ˜Š
Eyes-Wide-Shut thumbnail

Originally posted by: Shivi9926

Hats of to you for such an awesome post. I am very fortunate to be on this forum and among such great writers. Truly blessed.

Thank you very much! I am fortunate to have people like yourself appreciate our posts. πŸ˜Š
Autumnn thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Love all your posts.. You are one awesome writer. Brilliant!