Regional films and dramas in Pakistan?

Mugda thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 9 years ago
Lollywood industry is based in Lahore. Most of its films are Punjabi. I haven't even heard of many Urdu films. I read that Urdu is not spoken widely in Pakistan. Only 6 to 7% people speak Urdu. Majority speak Punjabi (>50%) and rest speak in Baloch, Pashtun, Urdu, Sindhi language but in dramas they show all actors are talking in Urdu. Its the films which are mostly Punjabi language films.

Btw, do they make films and dramas in Baloch and Pashtun languages?

Edited by Mugda - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BlackStar. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Mugda

Lollywood industry is based in Lahore. Most of its films are Punjabi. I haven't even heard of many Urdu films. I read that Urdu is not spoken widely in Pakistan. Only 6 to 7% people speak Urdu. Majority speak Punjabi (>50%) and rest speak Baloch, Pashtun, Urdu, Sindhi language but in dramas they show all actors are talking in Urdu. Its the films which are mostly Punjabi language films.

Btw, do they make films and dramas in Baloch and Pashtun languages?

Don't know about Baloch, but Pashtun yes.
--Iqra-- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Pashtun, yes, definitely. My dad watched them all the time, we just don't understand. :P Baloch and Sindhi, probably, yes.
And those stats aren't completely true. Most of Pakistan's population is able converse in Urdu even if just minimally. They might speak different languages or dialects in their own areas but they still know Urdu. Two people from different provinces can communicate. It's not the national language for anything..
Raindrops. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Not true at all,
there are urdu speakers who migrated from India and maybe those 6-7% ppl that you found are those, Urdu is their first and only language.
Majority of Punjabis, Sindhis, Pathans, Baloch and many others can completely understand Urdu and communicate in it. From Karachi, Lahore, Pindi to Peshawar I could easily communicate in Urdu.
About regional shows yes I haven't seen a sindhi film but I know about Sindhi dramas, I think Sanam Baloch also used to act in them. Likewise PTV used to telecast dramas in regional languages. I think biggest regional film industry is lollywood, tradionally punjabi films are more popular since they cater to a large population. I know about Pashto films too.
If you have seen coke studio they sing songs in all our regional languages

natz thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Urdu may not be everyone's first language - but it is spoken by everyone. Unlike the Basque province in Spain for example, where they want you to speak Basque or South India where you need to be able to converse in the regional language. Also, I'm not sure where you're getting your stats from - rest assured that more than 7% of Pakistanis speak Urdu as a first language.

Also, the Punjabi film industry is more developed than the others for the very reason that Bollywood is as big as it is - it has a bigger market than any of the other provinces as not only is Punjab the most populated province in Pakistan they also have a market in the Indian Punjab. And the language is the closest to Urdu/ Hindi so some of their viewers aren't Punjabi speaking (like you get a lot of Punjabi thrown into Bollywood movies/ songs). The Pashtu film industry comes second in filmmaking (they have a market in the neighbouring Afghanistan and parts of Balochistan) and the Sindhis are more into television. Balochistan, in spite of being the largest (in terms of area) province is the most thinly populated and it also has a strong Pashtu influence. As such, not much happens there.

Regional cinema/ TV is not as developed in Pakistan as it is in India because Pakistan is a much smaller country - with size comes diversity and the need for varying content. So what you have instead, are stories in Urdu about the various communities/ provinces in Pakistan.

Also, all of the Pakistani film industry is Lollywood - but yes, it gets its name from Lahore.
Edited by natz - 9 years ago
.TheFool. thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
No you information is not correct .. mothertouge is a different thing

Urdu is the national language of Pakistan 90 percent of people in Pakistan can speak & understand Urdu.Punjabi is the second language widely spoken in Pakistan.After Partition 50s,60,70s are called the golden era of Pak film industry in which qulaity films were made in Urdu & Punjabi languages.Pakistani punjabi films & there music was very famous in India Punjab .During 90s Pak film industry downfall started & contined from many years recently the Pak industry is getting stable & making some quality films.

During 60s,70,80s Pashto & Sindhi quality sindhi films were too made but there number was less & in 70s or 80s one Balochi movie in balochi language was made but not released becasue of the protest by Baloch people the film is still hanging.

currently Urdu,Punjabi,Pashto films are made in Pakistan . I'm not much sure about Sindhi films but No Balochi film is made after the protest of Baloch people but some famous serials were made in Urdu language they showed Balochi culture like Dasht ,Tum ho ke Chup which i've seen.

Regional channel Ptv Bolan show Balochi serials & other regional channels also show Sindhi,Punjabi,Pashto dramas but i haven't watched them.

Pakistani film industry is called Lollywood because its based in Lahore.
kirim thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Yeah they make blochi n pashtu films...Urdu is common in Pakistan so many dramas r in Urdu bt it doesn't means there is no dramas in blochi n pashtu