Recommendations to Shows (Synopsis + OST)

desigal90 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 11 years ago
I typed this up for another forum. Hope it helps.
Before you start, keep in mind that a show should be judged by it's director/writer, not the actors. I find a lot of newbies to Pakistani shows restricting themselves to Fawad Khan's dramas, thereby missing out on tons of gems 😊
Here are my personal preference out of a lot of dramas I've watched.

Quaid E Tanhai - Complexities stem in a marriage due to distances (husband working in U.S. while wife stuck at in laws with child) and a commanding and domination mother in law escalate misunderstandings. The drama starts out when the leads are in their late 40s. The wife living in Pakistan with their teenage daughter, while the husband is shown returning home from abroad after 10 years...during which he marries another woman and has a son with her. He returns to bring back his daughter with him to the UK. The drama runs in flashback to show us what happened between the main lead to have caused this separation, anger, misunderstandings, and pain.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwzTIjSuUY

Doraha - Complexities stem from class differences. Wife is status wise from a better, educated and liberal family, while the husband is from a middle class, working background. The Mother in law causes problems because she wanted son to marry her sister's daughter. Beautiful show about trying to make a marriage work despite class differences and the problems adjusting to a new environment.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tJN-fHZcF0

Dur E Shahwar - A FANTASTIC show about the problems in marriage today vs our parent's time. Shandana is a working woman dealing with difficulties in her 7 year marriage. She confides her problems with her mother, who enlightens her about the problems she faced in her days.
It is a simple story, but told in such a heart warming and profound way. It's got gems of widsom wrapped within.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jJY1BeGdXus

Khamoshiyan - A woman with a perfect family life faces the shock of her life when she finds out that her husband of 20 years is cheating on her wiht a woman almost their daughter's age.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7oy9YvGy3M

Diya Jale - Nadiya (or Diya, her nickname, reference to candle) is an ambitious teacher who's been engaged to her cousin for 8 years. Over the course of the years, she gets to know some very irritating habits, and arguments lead to the engagement breaking. Unfortuntely, Diya is now 28 years old, and in Pakistan, a woman in this age finds it very difficult to get an arranged marriage coz most look for women in their early 20s. She is eventually pressurized by society and her family to marry a man who's almost 15 years older than her, and has two kids. And that's the least of her worries, since he turns out to be the worst male chuvanisit pig imaginable.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOytSd62S0w

A list of a few about love, friendship, sisters
Daam - A beautiful story about friendship between two women from differnet classes and the misunderstandings that stem when the one from a poorer background falls in love wtih the her much richer best friend's brother.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpSCv0WUCto

Akhari Baarish
A hardhitting drama about prostitutes in Pakistan, and the pimps who are bourne into that environment. This show is a tragedy that shows the hardhsips faced by not just the female prostitutes, but also the trials and obstacles faced by the males who assisst them in their "business". This one might be difficult to understand without subtitles.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaTFHCtyodE

Maat
Story of 2 middle class sisters, one selfless, sacrficing, hardworking. The younger, selfish, arrogant, greedy, always wanting everything that she cannot have. What happens when the younger has her eyes set on her elder sister's fiance (who intiially had a thing for her)
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHuoNe9KT_4

Mera Naseeb - Pakistani adaptation of the novel "sister of my heart"
Story of two "cousins" and how their fates are tied in a conservative houseful helmed by three women. Nazia and Shazie are suffocating in the restrictions placed upon them, including not being allowed to watch movies in theaters, going out without covering their heads, or being seen in the company of males. The story begins when the two sneak out to watch a movie and bump into Shahbaaz, who instantly falls for Nazia.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzXVT7BMtz4

Rehaai - A drama about the sickening concept of child brides. This drama shadows the grief women go through in certain sectors of society where they're forced into marriage at the age of 12/13 years old, with men in their 40s. A strong social message about women's rights and standing up for themselves.

Edited by desigal90 - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

desigal90 thumbnail
Some shows that I havent seen but have heard great things about:

Malaal
Behadd
Dastaan

starstruckk thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Heyyy!

So nice to see you here. We need more people around here and I agree..most newbies to Pakistani shows restrict themselves to only Fawad's shows and they're missing out.

I've seen most of the shows you've listed above with more than half of them being a part of my list of favs. Akhari Barish seems interesting and I haven't seen it...will check it out soon. By the way you have to watch Dastaan, Malal and have you seen Meri Zaat Zara e Benishaan?

And I think you mentioned that you're a Faisal Q fan if I'm not mistaken?
desigal90 thumbnail
Hey!
I've recently not been able to watch as many coz I've been traveling.

And yes yes yes, I LOVE Faisal Qureshi! He's my all time favorite followed by Fahad Mustafa, Numan Ejaz, and I have a soft spot for Mekaal hehe.

List of actresses is a little longer.
My all time favorite is SABA HAMEED coz she is so damn versatile and she's made me cry for characters that I've hated, lol.
I also love Savera Nadeem, Nadia Jamil, and Saba Qamar. Sanam Saeed, Amna Sheikh and Sanam Baloch are also very good, but I am more into the first 4 hehe

I've not seen MZZBN but I know that it's credited for being the rebirth of quality shows!
Edited by desigal90 - 11 years ago
Silent.Dreamer thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
I've watched all the show which are mentioned in ur list expect khamoshiyan and I m still following many more. Pakistani shows has lots of potential and mainly credit goes to the writer and director and the best part about them is that they're close to reality or should I say they show u reality. Every woman should watch Dur-e-shahwar. But I love Mera Naseeb the most due to Sanam saeed. 😆
Gujar thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Faisal Qureshi is a class actor. DG watch Ooper gori ka makaan It's an older drama but bold for it's time and pushed a few boundaries, it has Javeria when she was a Jalil :) These two made a great pair and should've been cast in more serials together
618043 thumbnail
OMG OMG.. Thank U so much. 🤗🤗 I really wanted to see something but didn't know what. Would you mind suggesting few romantic or light stories? Like Humsafar, Zindagi Gulaar Hai or Kankar. 😳
Edited by -Alina. - 11 years ago
-shabz- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
I watch the dramas only if I like the direction...sometiimes the story is well written but the director doesnt do justice to it and you are left cursing yourself why did you waste your precious time on nonsense like that...

.i agree with your list, havent seen khamoshiyan, dil jale or akhri barish...i will sure give them a try...i am not sure about akhri barish, i think i tried watching the first episode and gave up on it, didnt appeal to me.

You must watch Dastaan...its incredible...i cried my eyes out.
desigal90 thumbnail

Originally posted by: -Alina.

<font size="2" face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">OMG OMG.. Thank U so much.🤗🤗I really wanted to see something but didn't know what. Would you mind suggesting few romantic or light stories? Like Humsafar, Zindagi Gulaar Hai or Kankar.😳</font>

Try Mera Naseeb or Mata e Jaan :D
starstruckk thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: desigal90

Hey!
I've recently not been able to watch as many coz I've been traveling.

And yes yes yes, I LOVE Faisal Qureshi! He's my all time favorite followed by Fahad Mustafa, Numan Ejaz, and I have a soft spot for Mekaal hehe.

List of actresses is a little longer.
My all time favorite is SABA HAMEED coz she is so damn versatile and she's made me cry for characters that I've hated, lol.
I also love Savera Nadeem, Nadia Jamil, and Saba Qamar. Sanam Saeed, Amna Sheikh and Sanam Baloch are also very good, but I am more into the first 4 hehe

I've not seen MZZBN but I know that it's credited for being the rebirth of quality shows!

I love Faisal Qureshi myself! He's such a brilliant actor..he's the main reason why I even started watching Pakistani shows..even years back I was mesmerized by his acting and till this day I am. I feel some of the current shows aren't doing justice to his tremendous talent but regardless, what an actor. Plus, he has this boyish charm which I find adorable..not to mention such a cute smile..and did you ever notice his long eyelashes? ahh.. /fangirling moment

I also like Fahad Mustafa and Mikaal..so we have similar taste..and lol..I we have similar taste with actresses too. I absolutely love Saba Qamar though!

by the way, since you seem to be a Faisal Q fanatic too..😆..as Naj said, do watch Ooper Gori Ka Makaan whenever you can. Also, I would highly recommend Faisal's shows Harjaee, Wujood e Laraib, Roag and then of course MZZB. These are my absolute favs of Faisal.

the only problem with watching Ooper Gori/Harjaee/Wujood e Laraib is that they're from back in the day so I'm not too sure if you'll be able to find quality links online..but I know they're online somewhere as I did watch them again a year or so ago. 😆

here's the promo to Harjaee (I love this show..Faisal's amazing):
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEslUFJ02mw[/YOUTUBE]

and then Wujood e Laraib (also has Fahad Mustafa):

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6pn1pcD6IM[/YOUTUBE]