Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

starstruckk thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

Originally posted by: BlackStar.

Well see how true this is in the coming future.

by then some of these brilliant actresses may not even be around and Mahira may just have learned the art of acting.

you don't see a Maat or Durre Shahwar everyday.
BlackStar. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: starstruckk

by then some of these brilliant actresses may not even be around and Mahira may just have learned the art of acting.

you don't see a Maat or Durre Shahwar everyday.

This is something Momina Duraid wrote at the time of DES/BQ being on air.. Someone asked her a question abt it.. Her reply seemed pretty vague to me. She couldn't justify herself.

There is one question regarding HUM TV and MD Productions that has baffled a lot of us. Why don't you and HUM TV treat your projects and teams equally? Some serials are overly hyped like MeJ and others are not given proper coverage and attention like DeS and Bilquees Kore. Although they are more popular and relateble than MeJ. DeS has ended recently but we didn't hear a word from you or your team about the director and his crew. MeJ ended yesterday and you are here thanking everyone. Don't you think this kind of unfair treatment is highly demoralizing for those people who are working day in day out to make your channel the most viewed one?

and here was MD's answer right on the same thread:
It good to see that all of you voice your opinions and questions openly. Bilquis kaur has just started and has been promoted equally as mata e Jaan. I would definitely thank our viewers there once it is over and was planning to do so on durreshehwar as that has only ended last week.Was a little confused though as this particular thank you note should be coming from both producers together as I would not want to take the complete ownership of the project as it Is a shared ownership. With durreshehwars promotion you r right to a certain extent. That was my first co production and the technical team was not mine. I was involved in the creatives only. We did not have an ost as we had to drop it last minute due to its similarity to an Indian number. Some of The artists refused to come and promote the serial due to their commitments. In short when it's my own production completely then the team is completely selected and lead by me and play is being promoted in a certain way. In a joint production who is arranging what becomes a question and especially when it's your first.We are learning everyday and will try not to repeat problems faced in our first co production. Shehr e zaat is my second co production and we have started in time and full blast it's promotion. So we are learning. With no artist availability and no ost, promotion of durreshehwar might be relatively less but promo frequency that was under our control is always the same from hum tv as a rule. You have to understand that from a channels point of view all prime time slots are equally important and one never intentionally promotes less or more. Sometimes conditions become such that one does not have a choice. To me all plays are like babies as I am with my projects like a mother from the first word of the script to the last scene edited.
And you can never be unfair to what you have so lovingly created with the grace of God.
summerchild thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Wow, there's quite a bit of disagreement here, isn't there?

Alright, my opinion on this matter, and believe me, I'm being pretty unbiased here, is that Mahira, as both Khirad and Falak, has connected with the audience on a relatively higher scale, and that's not to say that the rest hadn't, but let's face it, the fan following for both SZ and HS was way higher than it was for any of the other shows. And also, you've got to realize that people don't judge a show/actress based on how well they act, if they had, I don't think Meri Ladli and the likes would've been so famous. It's judged on the connection that the audience has had with it, and genuinely that the biggest decider.

And, as the award itself says, it's for 'Popular Choice' and um, wasn't that a given already? :l Her characters have made her pretty famous.

While yeah, okay, Mahira's got a long way to go in terms of her acting, but she's by no means overrated. She's doing two shows a year! If you want to see overrated, please talk about Mawra Hocane, Ayeza Khan and the likes. Sanam, while genuinely a great actress, picks the same kinds of roles for herself, and when she tried to do something bubbly (AA, KPKPBT) she was pretty terrible at those, too, so please, save the whole "Mahira was so bad in the first half of SZ" debate.

I wouldn't have minded if Saba/Aamina won the award, but then again, their characters in Maat were too black and white and I couldn't even relate to one bit, so I can see where the difference comes in.

So, no, I don't think it's that Mahira Khan's overrated. I just think she's hit it off well with the kind of start she's made, and a few of you lot are quite biased and hate her for whatever reason you have, but I'm pretty sure that just two shows doesn't judge a person's overall capability/ overrated-ness.

This isn't to offend anyone, guys. It's just my thoughts.
cutestar thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Judging strictly on acting I think Saba ought to have won hands down. She was amazing in Maat. Sawera Nadeem wasn't too behind. She put life into Bari Aapa. Sanam Baloch is a great actress but Roshan Sitara wasn't one of her strong ones.

Mahira winning for shehr e zaat is a joke. If it was humsafar I could understand but NOT shehr e zaat. Her acting wasn't really up to scratch. Lets just take a moment to remember the crying lol

Disappointing to say the least😒

Edited by cutestar - 11 years ago
starstruckk thumbnail

Originally posted by: summerchild

Wow, there's quite a bit of disagreement here, isn't there?

Alright, my opinion on this matter, and believe me, I'm being pretty unbiased here, is that Mahira, as both Khirad and Falak, has connected with the audience on a relatively higher scale, and that's not to say that the rest hadn't, but let's face it, the fan following for both SZ and HS was way higher than it was for any of the other shows. And also, you've got to realize that people don't judge a show/actress based on how well they act, if they had, I don't think Meri Ladli and the likes would've been so famous. It's judged on the connection that the audience has had with it, and genuinely that the biggest decider.

And, as the award itself says, it's for 'Popular Choice' and um, wasn't that a given already? :l Her characters have made her pretty famous.

While yeah, okay, Mahira's got a long way to go in terms of her acting, but she's by no means overrated. She's doing two shows a year! If you want to see overrated, please talk about Mawra Hocane, Ayeza Khan and the likes. Sanam, while genuinely a great actress, picks the same kinds of roles for herself, and when she tried to do something bubbly (AA, KPKPBT) she was pretty terrible at those, too, so please, save the whole "Mahira was so bad in the first half of SZ" debate.

I wouldn't have minded if Saba/Aamina won the award, but then again, their characters in Maat were too black and white and I couldn't even relate to one bit, so I can see where the difference comes in.

So, no, I don't think it's that Mahira Khan's overrated. I just think she's hit it off well with the kind of start she's made, and a few of you lot are quite biased and hate her for whatever reason you have, but I'm pretty sure that just two shows doesn't judge a person's overall capability/ overrated-ness.

This isn't to offend anyone, guys. It's just my thoughts.

Connecting with people? Is that the new scale used to receive awards now?

It's like Jennifer Lawrence winning a popular choice award for Silver Linings Playbook...because people connected with a recovering sex addict? I sure as hell hope not. (p.s Jennifer Lawrence is awesome though)

Being able to connect to a character is very, very, very subjective. You may have related to Khirad, where I may have not had a clue what the hell was going on with her. While you or even I could not relate to Saman or even Aimen, there are people who could. My mom loved Maat like nothing else and one of the reasons why is because she felt that tale of two sisters was right on point...stories like that do occur in our society. In the end, regardless of what anyone can or can not relate to..it's about your performance..and whether that was "the best" in a lot of actors/actresses.

The fact that this award of "popular choice" was the only way of deciding which actress would walk away with the best actress award is sad itself. If you're going to give me just one award which will determine who is the best actress around and that's based on public voting..then I'm pretty much relying on everyone's opinion on who's the best actress..and to have one of the weakest in that specific category win just shows where we're going with every other award in our country being popular choice. Best part of it all, is that had Mahira been nominated for Humsafar..forget Shehr e Zaat..she'd get all the votes for Humsafar which in my opinion is her weaker performance when compared to Shehr e Zaat. Isn't that why they left that nomination out? That right there shows you how overrated Mahira Khan really is.

Being praised amongst your fans, or your director or your friends, family etc for bagging a popular choice is great...but to be praised neutrally amidst everyone for your performance is something else altogether. That's not the case with Mahira..at least not yet. I had issues with Mahira in SeZ...but she was amazing in many parts. While I am NOT a Mahira fan, without a heavy heart I must say that Shehr e Zaat is one of my favorite shows of 2012..Mahira improved her way through that show..and in the end she was decent. To say she was the best actress of 2012 on Humtv, is nothing but far fetched. I think we can all agree that we need jury/critics awards in our country if we ever want someone to win purely based on substantial performances and not on how popular you are. However, if most award shows are going to just stick with popular choice awards for these leading categories, then I'm sorry..I will stick to my rant of how unfair this really is to people who actually acted thoroughly well from scene 1 till the very end.

Mawra, Urwa, Sajjal etc weren't even nominated in the best actress category..no one even rates them to be the best. Just because they do every other show on ARY doesn't mean they're now considered the best actresses in recent time. Sami Khan does every show for AnB, and though he's an amazing actor..he's hardly ever nominated in any of these satellite award shows. Sanam Baloch wasn't even nominated for Durre Shahwar..that whole entire show went unnoticed here, let alone Sanam Baloch. Sanam Baloch is an awesome actress..her roles of Asghari and Kiran may not have been her best performances (though I loved Kiran)..but she NEVER got nominated for them. So, how is that relevant to how awful Mahira was in many parts of SeZ? - a performance which she was nominated for and actually won for.. (yes, she was awful in the first half..especially when she tried being cute/whined). Sanam Baloch was snubbed a nomination for DeS..I don't care if she does that role a million times..she was deserving of a nomination because she played Shahwar really well. If you're going to nominate her for Roshan Sitara..so you're kind of making a point that she should be somewhere in this nomination list?..then why not for the BETTER performance aka that of Shahwar. Regardless, she didn't win anything nor was her nomination deserving of winning - so bringing her up is sort of pointless right now. If you want to talk about anyone, then lets talk about the ladies that actually WERE nominated for a worthy performance and didn't win - Saba Qamar, Aamina Sheikh, Sania Saeed, Mehwish Hayat, & Sawera Nadeem.

Moreover, Mahira needs improvement as an actor..it seems like her best is already here with 3 shows. She basically has seen everything..so as a viewer I don't look forward to anything extraordinary from her in the future. I mean what's there left to see? Though I'd love to see how she does outside of Hum, satellite or not (if she ever goes for something like PTV) ..and how well that goes.

In the end, I have yet to read/hear anyone justify how Mahira deserved it the most or how she deserved it over the others from a neutral perspective. That itself just says a lot right there.
starstruckk thumbnail

Originally posted by: cutestar

Judging strictly on acting I think Saba ought to have won hands down. She was amazing in Maat. Sawera Nadeem wasn't too behind. She put life into Bari Aapa. Sanam Baloch is a great actress but Roshan Sitara wasn't one of her strong ones.

Mahira winning for shehr e zaat is a joke. If it was humsafar I could understand but NOT shehr e zaat. Her acting wasn't really up to scratch. Lets just take a moment to remember the crying lol

Disappointing to say the least😒

Her crying was awful. I will never forget that scene where Falak cried in front of Hamza in one scene. Mahira was so horrible to say the least. I actually could not figure out where her character was coming from there? as in was she just being childlike? or was that her way of sincerely feeling hurt or what. If I can't connect with your character like that..then you basically are not doing a good job. And, I know I'm not alone on this..a lot of people had problems with her crying and bubbly way of acting in the first half in particular.

and I will be more than happy to cut you some slack since this is just your 3rd serial..but here you walked away with an award for the best actress...so, either you're overrated or come up with more credible awards.
Edited by starstruckk - 11 years ago
Falak's character was easy for the audience to connect to? Really?
Maybe the last 3 or 4 episodes, but the first half of the drama tbh I didn't even understand her character but maybe that was just me
starstruckk thumbnail

Originally posted by: _QueenofHearts_

Falak's character was easy for the audience to connect to? Really?

Maybe the last 3 or 4 episodes, but the first half of the drama tbh I didn't even understand her character but maybe that was just me

No, you're not the only one. A lot of things Falak did were hard to connect to..in fact a lot of things characters do are very very hard to connect to overall.

The best part about Shehr e Zaat were Umera's dialogues..if Umera wasn't the writer for that show..it would've been nothing special.
canuck-umz thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Long Post Alert

Now let me provide my unbiased opinion. When Mahira was a VJ I in fact did watch her and I liked her then. I love Humsafar too but fact is Mahira would have been nowhere had it not been for Fawad. She is basically riding on the success of Humsafar and the Asher-Khirad couple and that is it. None of this is on her own merit because at this time she is just a mediocre actress, awards in my opinion are a long shot.

I attempted to watch SeZ but after a few episodes I turned the show off simply because of Mahira and her annoying acting. Honestly, I just couldn't handle her and she ruined the show for me. I know others who felt the same way and only praised the writer, her dialogues and Samina Pirzada. Falak's character was not suited for her so how she managed to bag the award for that specific character is beyond me. Maybe she improved in the latter half of the show but whatever I saw just got on my nerves.

The award was popular choice which I guess is the only way she would have received an award because the same fans were probably constantly voting for her which is unfair. The Asher-Khirad fans are pretty emotional when it comes to the couple and the actors playing the characters. I will blame Hum for this screw up since they allowed multiple voting and did not have critics choice.

Is there something more at play here considering that Fawad didn't get a nomination while Mahira did. They seem to have a major thing for her.

As can be seen above Falak is one character I could not connect with, I dunno anyone who did. Maybe I would have connected better if the character was being played by a more capable actress (which is what the role required). I wanted to wring Falak's neck, seriously who behaves like that? While Khirad, I liked at most times but yet again another character I couldn't connect with.As an example, characters like Sanam's Kashaf right now are much more relatable.
Edited by canuck-umz - 11 years ago
starstruckk thumbnail
@ Umz..truer words have never been spoken here. 😆

I agree with everything you said. I honestly liked Mahira when she was a VJ..but this whole saga that's associated with her as an actress is just so exaggerated that it's very hard to like her as an actress...especially since she still has a long way to go.

I totally agree with how Mahira is riding on her success from Humsafar right now. I feel that's half the reason the why she won it for SeZ too. She was most probably going to win best actress for Humsafar anyway , had she been nominated..and since she wasn't most people just voted for anyway regardless. Once again, was SeZ really the best performance in that category? No.

Also, Humsafar would not have been what it is today had Fawad not been a part of it as you mentioned. I have said this the first day I started watching that show..you could've put anyone as Khirad..but no one could've pulled a better Asher than Fawad. Then as you mentioned the Asher-Khirad craze/chemistry..which once again brings in Fawad.

p.s. I am in love with Kashaf..Sanam Saeed is the best thing to have happened to that show..and yes I can really relate to her as well.