A Look At the Performance of Foreign Dramas in Pak

Taify thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago

25JAN2013

A Look At the Performance of Foreign Dramas in Pakistan

Too many people ask us to answer this query, so here we are with a detailed reply. Firstly, it is too early to call any foreign show a hit or a flop. This is because most foreign dramas run for a very long time and are gripping only in the beginning and lose the basic plot unlike Pakistani dramas. They are soaps!

A friend of mine suggested that it will take three months to get the real picture, and I tend to agree. Firstly, Urdu1's Indian content is doing excellent mainly because it is not showing dramas like Ek Hazaron… from the beginning. It airs the episodes just as they air on Star Plu. This simple move has resulted in viewers that were earler watching the dramas on Star Plus to switch to Urdu1. Nonetheless, when the tracks go boring viewers may stop watching.

As for Turkish dramas, Urdu1's Fatmagul, which was earlier averaging 4, has fallen just a wee bit with changes. Again, this is a case of how the angle is. Since this is a soap, people only watch when something interesting is happening. Its Spanish show doesn't do much though.

Surprisingly, Nach Baliye on Urdu1 is below expectations. The channel, I heard, was expecting earth-shattering numbers to beat ARY's Nachley, but it has failed to do so.. yet!

The trick has paid off for Express because its Manahil aur Khalil and Hitler Didi are getting around 2.. Anamika on the other hand is a sad story. KBC draws on a regular basis and has the channel happy.

GEO must be regretting some of its decisions. The channel after not being able to garner the right response moved Noor to a late night slot where it is doing decent when one keeps the timing in mind (this is when people rarely catch dramas).Baday Acchay.. will take time. Its Qabool Hai started so slow but is now garnering attention. However, GEO's Pakistani dramas are still wonderful with Cinderella, Saat Pardon Main and YZH doing decent ratings. The new outing Miraat ul Uroos also got 2+ for the first 2 episodes, which is a good beginning. Many are hopeful that GEO will rethink its strategy and bid adieu to foreign content.

YET, many people fail to understand the reason why channels are buying foreign content. It is NOT only because they give ratings… it is because they give profit. Say Mirat ul Uroos is doing 2+ costing channel 5lac an episode… GEO may be able to get a foreign drama that geta rating of 1 for only 1 lac… why wouldn't it do it? Ultimately, it is about profit, which the channels are making.

And WILL there be legal action? I HOPE SO! but doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon. Urdu1 is a foreign content and is working as per the regulations. Yet, Express and GEO might have broken a few rules.

The scenario will be clearer in the next quarter. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

by admin in Uncategorized Tags: geo noor drama, turkish drama, turkish drama aasi,turkish drama fatma gul, turkish drama in pakistan, turkish drama noor

7 Comments

1. hina
    Jan 25, 2013 @ 16:42:02

so Fatmagul is a hit?

• admin
      Jan 25, 2013 @ 16:55:17

Not too sure but the numbers are decent.

2. curious
    Jan 25, 2013 @ 17:16:33

wht abt asi?

• momi
      Jan 25, 2013 @ 19:52:33

its not just that i am a Pakistani, but honestly speaking i find our content much better and interesting than foreign. i mean i am surprized that urdu 1's indian shows are working because all of them are running with boring story lines these days

3. faizan
    Jan 25, 2013 @ 20:59:18

wht are the ratings of ghaoo on geo?

4. abcd
    Jan 26, 2013 @ 05:52:37

Careless!

5. ali k
    Jan 26, 2013 @ 09:21:06

Thanks for providing some answers. The actors who are so concerned should take legal action. the courts are hyperactive and they can be succesful in blocking foreign content.

Leave a Reply

Your Name *

Your Email *

Your Website

Anti-Spam Quiz: 3+3=

___________________________________ _____________

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mahirakhan9 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
stupid dramas for stupid people of pakistan! yukh hate them!
Taify thumbnail
hmmm those r some strong words
SunshineGirl6 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Woaahh nice analysis !!
Geo 🤬 I hateee that channel !!
-Maha- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
I strongly feel that Our dramas are better than Foreign shows..The content is better & very much close to reality
Taify thumbnail
^ every one accepts tht but foreign dramas have their own demand