Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

starstruckk thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

Originally posted by: *Woh Ajnabee*

I finally caught up with the show, and it is making me furious! More than anything, I think what's happening in the show bothers me even more because it's actually depicting reality - the only time I wish it wouldn't. Go figure. These characters are making me sick, but the sad thing is that characters like Sikandar, his mother and Kiran's mother actually exist in society. Especially in our society.

Instead of realizing his mistake and asking for forgiveness, Sikandar rationalizes his behavior as something that is Kiran's fault. If she hadn't done this, said this, behaved this way, I wouldn't have done that. But what Adnan said in this week's episode is so right - do not raise your hand on your wife regardless of anything. Big or small. Her fault or your fault. Anything. Don't do it. Because once you cross that line, you will cross it again. You will lose respect for each other. You will scar her for life. Your relationship will never ever ever be able to go back to the way it was.

Kiran's reaction is justified. In fact, I think her reaction could have been much more vocal. But Sikandar, Sikandar's mother and Kiran's mother are truly driving her crazy. That is the problem with our society. They make innocent girls like Kiran go crazy by making them believe these things are normal and they are just overreacting. They force them to stay in such marriages and don't ever think of coming back home because that's what respectable girls do. They allow themselves to be disrespected by others and lose any ounce of self-respect remaining just so their families can be called respectable by our hypocritical society.

Sikandar's mother makes me sick. She was physically abused in her marriage, and instead of making sure her son doesn't repeat his father's mistakes, she allows it. In some ways, she even encourages it. Instead of having raised her son better, she is taking out her bitterness on Kiran. And the bitter cycle continues.

Also, even if we take the physical abuse out of the picture. What people don't realize is that verbal abuse also leaves behind scars. Sikandar marries Kiran without caring about her social class/status, wealth or family background. And now he uses those same things against her. Kiran is, for some reason, expected to bow down in submission to Sikandar and his family because he married her and is allowing her to live in this big house of his and showering her with these luxuries. Why why why are people so cruel! Why does our society (especially the women in our society) treat other women as second-class citizens? Why are women expected to put up with everything their husbands put them through without ever uttering a single complaint? Why can't a woman stand up for her rights and demand to be treated with respect? Why won't her own family stand up for her when she comes home and complains of abuse?

And more than anything, will this ever change? Is it changing?

Sigh. This show makes me really, really sad. I hate domestic violence. I cannot help but wonder why educated men behave this way. Could beating someone into submission really be that empowering for any human being?

Ahhh. Sorry. Rant over.

I just saw your post..nice points.

This show does make me really furious yet sad. Like said above, it makes my blood boil..πŸ˜† Some of the characters - I just can't..but as you said, it's the reality of our society. Props to the actors and director. This show is really intense and they're enacting it all so well.

The one thing that I actually like is how they aren't showing that Sikandar is not educated whatsoever. Here, there's a guy who IS educated..in fact, he received most of his higher education abroad YET acts like a complete jerk nearly all the time. Usually we tend to think "uneducated people behave like this and that" which is wrong because abuse can happen anywhere in any part of society, regardless.

Also, another thing I really like about this show is Kiran's character. A lot of us tend to complain that we show women not taking a stand against their husbands/in-laws when they're subjected to abuse and whatnot..yet here, Kiran is. She wants to be treated with respect and I hope we see her moving on from Sikandar soon, and forever. And it's not like they aren't showing the norm either , they are. Kiran's mom, Sikandar's mom, Rukhsar, Faiqa etc are all so hypocritical and the sad part is they're all women..yet don't see anything wrong in what Kiran has been subjected to.

Oh and I like how we have Adnan in this show..because there are (supposedly) two guys who "love" Kiran - Adnan and Sikandar...and the way each of them shows their love says it all. Sikandar the less said the better...but, with Adnan..he never got Kiran yet was never bitter ..in fact, still doesn't wish her ill..more or less, respects Kiran as a person and that's basically it. She should just elope with Adnan ..πŸ˜†
Gujar thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Looks like Faiqa can't wait for Kiran's divorce so she can finally ship her own daughter to Sikander. πŸ˜† Sure Kiran overreacted a bit but she was justified in her stance. These aren't just some acquaintances, they're Sikander's inlaws his wife's family, you have to or should strive to maintain that cordiality, if he had a legit excuse like falling sick all of a sudden then fair enough or you could inform them in advance to say you won't be coming. Kiran even suggested they leave later on giving him time to 'recuperate' but he wasn't having it.

Bottom line is the man is a nutter, It's like he's almost psychopathically detached from all repercussions of his actions/behaviour, he's never valued Kiran's family nor does he understand all the intricacies of inner emotion and 'respect' that Kiran harps on about. He doesn't want to understand neither does he have the capacity to comprehend. The fact that he just left Kiran lying on the floor curling in pain to go grab his dinner knowing very well she's pregnant sums it all up. I even doubt he's all that regretful about treating her like he did, for him it's one of those things that have a 10 minute impact then it wears off and he's back to his usual self. He's just a replica of his own Father in his youth nothing more nothing less, difference being his Father saw reason much later on in life, Sikander won't be that fortunate because Kiran isn't like her MIL.

But the lead pair are terrific, they nail their roles to absolute perfection and achieve their objective of evoking a strong response from viewers. Their contemporaries/rivals should actually sit and watch these two at work to try and learn a thing or two about acting and range.
Edited by 2direct. - 11 years ago
starstruckk thumbnail

Originally posted by: 2direct.

Looks like Faiqa can't wait for Kiran's divorce so she can finally ship her own daughter to Sikander. πŸ˜† Sure Kiran overreacted a bit but she was justified in her stance. These aren't just some acquaintances, they're Sikander's inlaws his wife's family, you have to or should strive to maintain that cordiality, if he had a legit excuse like falling sick all of a sudden then fair enough or you could inform them in advance to say you won't be coming. Kiran even suggested they leave later on giving him time to 'recuperate' but he wasn't having it.

Bottom line is the man is a nutter, It's like he's almost psychopathically detached from all repercussions of his actions/behaviour, he's never valued Kiran's family nor does he understand all the intricacies of inner emotion and 'respect' that Kiran harps on about. He doesn't want to understand neither does he have the capacity to comprehend. The fact that he just left Kiran lying on the floor curling in pain to go grab his dinner knowing very well she's pregnant sums it all up. I even doubt he's all that regretful about treating her like he did, for him it's one of those things that have a 10 minute impact then it wears off and he's back to his usual self. He's just a replica of his own Father in his youth nothing more nothing less, difference being his Father saw reason much later on in life, Sikander won't be that fortunate because Kiran isn't like her MIL.

But the lead pair are terrific, they nail their roles to absolute perfection and achieve their objective of evoking a strong response from viewers. Their contemporaries/rivals should actually sit and watch these two at work to try and learn a thing or two about acting and range.

Well said. Yeah Sanam Baloch and Fahad Mustafa are indeed terrific ..as you said they evoke a strong response from their audiences due to their great acting which is required from such a show.

I felt Sanam Baloch was the best part about this show but Fahad..wow he has been beyond brilliant in these past episodes...so, can not imagine anyone else as Sikandar/Kiran. I think Fahad's performance is probably the best male performance this yr...while Baloch and Saeed are right up there in females.
Gujar thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
I agree Star I put Fahad right up there after Faisal Qureshi, he's in the Faisal Qureshi mould, two of the most brilliant versatile actors, not knocking down any of our other artistes most of them are really good when they want to be, but these two for me are several notches higher. Same goes for the two Sanam's.
Edited by 2direct. - 11 years ago
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: starstruckk

I just saw your post..nice points.

This show does make me really furious yet sad. Like said above, it makes my blood boil..πŸ˜† Some of the characters - I just can't..but as you said, it's the reality of our society. Props to the actors and director. This show is really intense and they're enacting it all so well.

The one thing that I actually like is how they aren't showing that Sikandar is not educated whatsoever. Here, there's a guy who IS educated..in fact, he received most of his higher education abroad YET acts like a complete jerk nearly all the time. Usually we tend to think "uneducated people behave like this and that" which is wrong because abuse can happen anywhere in any part of society, regardless.

Also, another thing I really like about this show is Kiran's character. A lot of us tend to complain that we show women not taking a stand against their husbands/in-laws when they're subjected to abuse and whatnot..yet here, Kiran is. She wants to be treated with respect and I hope we see her moving on from Sikandar soon, and forever. And it's not like they aren't showing the norm either , they are. Kiran's mom, Sikandar's mom, Rukhsar, Faiqa etc are all so hypocritical and the sad part is they're all women..yet don't see anything wrong in what Kiran has been subjected to.

Oh and I like how we have Adnan in this show..because there are (supposedly) two guys who "love" Kiran - Adnan and Sikandar...and the way each of them shows their love says it all. Sikandar the less said the better...but, with Adnan..he never got Kiran yet was never bitter ..in fact, still doesn't wish her ill..more or less, respects Kiran as a person and that's basically it. She should just elope with Adnan ..πŸ˜†

Thanks, Star. Agree with your post as well. :)

Yes! The fact that Sikandar is well educated yet still resorts to such behavior is what makes his character so much more interesting. Even if you consider his family - progressive, modern, rich, well-educated yet domestic violence is not out of the ordinary for them. They discuss it like it's a non-issue. Like I said earlier, it drives me craaazy, but I think it depicts reality.

I absolutely adore Sanam Baloch! I love Kiran's character because she refuses to be the "bechari" that takes Sikandar's abuse as her fate and remains silent. She demands to be respected by her husband, and she makes it clear that she will leave him if he does not treat her with respect.

The problem is that even in the real world, there are a lot of girls that start off that way. They speak up when they are wronged, they demand to be treated with respect, but at some point they lose support of their families. Their families want them to stay in these terrible marriages, and sooner or later, the girls give up and give in to their abusive husbands.

I like Adnan as well! A part of me she will marry him and put Sikandar in his right place, but a part of me hopes she doesn't because that usually means the girl goes back to the first guy (in Pakistani shows) because of the Muslim divorce system. If she divorces Sikandar and never remarries, we know she's not going to end up with Sikandar. But I so, so, so want Sikandar to marry Aarzoo. Faiqa will lose her sh*t then (excuse my language!). πŸ˜†

And lastly, I think I'm one of those people who don't give Fahad Mustafa enough credit. Watching him in Kankar (before I started hating him), I remembered how much I loved the guy in Mastana Mahi (also before I started hating his character πŸ˜†). He's a fantastic actor, and I'm glad because I think Sanam Baloch is phenomenal as well. This might not be an ideal love story on television, but they match and complement each other brilliantly as actors!
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail

I agree Star I put Fahad right up there after Faisal Qureshi, he's in the Faisal Qureshi mould, two of the most brilliant versatile actors, not knocking down any of our other artistes most of them are really good when they want to be, but these two for me are several notches higher. Same goes for the two Sanam's.

I love, love, love Faisal Qureshi! I don't think he gets enough credit for his brilliant acting. The guy is a really good actor. I miss seeing him on television.
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail

That is exactly how psychotic personalties like Sikandar's behave though. They fear that their wives will leave them, and they will apologize and do whatever it takes to make their wives stay. But when time comes, they will abuse them again and rationalize that behavior in their head. Fahad Mustafa is doing a great job of depicting that personality. It makes you think how we could meet such people on a regular basis and never pick up on this disorder/abnormal behavior. Kind of like how everyone that knows Sikandar on the show could never believe how he could ever raise his hand on his wife.
Meeph thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: starstruckk

I was watching this video mix someone made with this song and some scenes from Kankar..I liked it so thought I share. The song goes so well with this show.

Did you watch the VM i madeπŸ˜ƒ??
starstruckk thumbnail

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE Faisal Qureshi. What I love about Faisal Qureshi is that he has always works so hard when performing each and every character of his..because it always shows. He acts from the heart..and as corny as that may sound, I find that very true. I just don't that with many others.

He's probably my most favorite Pakistani actor hands down, everyone else is kinda after him? πŸ˜† Fahad and Faisal are by far two of the most versatile actors to come out of Pakistan. I actually think no one even comes close to Faisal Q, but if there is someone then it's Fahad. Fahad actually looks up to Faisal Q thus, the similarities? πŸ˜† Faisal still has so much left in him, but it's like what's there left for this guy to do? He has done it all and he's only 39 years old. Fahad's about 30 years yet already seems to have done everything? They're both so good at what they do. And, I LOVE Sanam Baloch and Sanam Saeed...they're such naturals. It's like when they do enact their characters, you can't see anyone else but them performing their respective characters.

lol, I think I love too many people.

starstruckk thumbnail

Originally posted by: *Woh Ajnabee*

Thanks, Star. Agree with your post as well. :)

Yes! The fact that Sikandar is well educated yet still resorts to such behavior is what makes his character so much more interesting. Even if you consider his family - progressive, modern, rich, well-educated yet domestic violence is not out of the ordinary for them. They discuss it like it's a non-issue. Like I said earlier, it drives me craaazy, but I think it depicts reality.

I absolutely adore Sanam Baloch! I love Kiran's character because she refuses to be the "bechari" that takes Sikandar's abuse as her fate and remains silent. She demands to be respected by her husband, and she makes it clear that she will leave him if he does not treat her with respect.

The problem is that even in the real world, there are a lot of girls that start off that way. They speak up when they are wronged, they demand to be treated with respect, but at some point they lose support of their families. Their families want them to stay in these terrible marriages, and sooner or later, the girls give up and give in to their abusive husbands.

I like Adnan as well! A part of me she will marry him and put Sikandar in his right place, but a part of me hopes she doesn't because that usually means the girl goes back to the first guy (in Pakistani shows) because of the Muslim divorce system. If she divorces Sikandar and never remarries, we know she's not going to end up with Sikandar. But I so, so, so want Sikandar to marry Aarzoo. Faiqa will lose her sh*t then (excuse my language!). πŸ˜†

And lastly, I think I'm one of those people who don't give Fahad Mustafa enough credit. Watching him in Kankar (before I started hating him), I remembered how much I loved the guy in Mastana Mahi (also before I started hating his character πŸ˜†). He's a fantastic actor, and I'm glad because I think Sanam Baloch is phenomenal as well. This might not be an ideal love story on television, but they match and complement each other brilliantly as actors!

I know! I love Kiran too because as you said she's not the typical bechari. I like how they're showing the importance of self respect in this drama..I feel a lot of times when we show the typical, bechari aurat we forget to show the importance of self respect for that woman. Oh and I love Sanam Baloch..I think the past 10 pages have been me saying that in every other post of mine. πŸ˜³πŸ˜† She's one of the few actresses who always tend to leave an impact with their performances, not to mention she always stands out side by side with her male costar if not more..which can be rare for actresses at times.

@bold: I agree..I hope that doesn't happen here though..that would just ruin everything. πŸ˜†...oh and you mentioned if she marries Adnan then that would depict her going back to the first guy..but then she never loved Adnan the way Adnan loved her..so I feel it wouldn't be the same? Kiran actually did start falling for Sikandar until his real colors started showing..whereas she always saw Adnan as a mere friend. If Kiran herself gets a divorce from Sikandar and Arzoo marries Sikandar..I'd love for Kiran to get married to Adnan and lead a happy, peaceful life and see the latter rot together...perfect ending for me. πŸ˜†

Yeah, I despise Sikandar but that's because Fahad's doing such an awesome job enacting him! I agree, this isn't a love story or anything but even then Sanam and Fahad complement each other so well as a pair..