Views

Users

Frequent Posters

FaizaK thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 11 years ago

Kankar – Episode 1

Posted by Drama Buff On May - 31 - 2013

I will be honest. I do not have many grand expectations from Kankar. And the first episode has me sitting on the fence, uncertain which way to go. The entire aura of the serial positively reeks of Daam: the same middle class setting, the same elder-daughter-not-getting-a-suitable-proposal, the same second-daughter-about-to-graduate, and so on and on. I don't know if anyone else also felt the same way, but somehow I did not find anything unique, especially in this first episode. Of course, first episodes can go either way, so let's see if Kankar manages to attract as many viewers as its predecessors: Shehr-e-Zaat and Zindagi Gulzar Hai.

The story revolves around the families of two brothers and one sister. The elder brother is quite well-off and his family makes a great to-do in this episode about the fact that they have gotten their eldest son engaged in a very elite family. The younger brother's (Behroze Sabzwari) and sister's families belong to the middle class. It goes without saying that the rifts between the families are more related to status differences than anything else. It is interesting though that we never got to see the son being talked about so excessively in this episode. Maybe he will make a grand entrance later.

Kiran (Sanam Baloch), daughter of the younger brother, is the main protagonist of the story. Her phuppi's son, Adnan (Hasan Niazi), seems to be interested in her, but is financially struggling. Kiran is shown as a typical daughter of the house, leading a care-free life in college but very much conscious of the issues affecting her family.

This is basically all that we found out in this episode.

The narrative was slow and the dialogues were extremely repetitive - honestly, there was a "Shoaib kee baat pakki hogai" line in almost every scene. This kind of writing does seem to be Umera Ahmed's forte though, which is why my interest remained intact. Direction-wise, it was a good effort, but there HAS to be more showing and less telling. It is good to note that the serial has an outdoorsy look, which kind of breaks the monotone. Production-wise, the episode had Six Sigma Entertainment written all over it. The picture and sound quality was lacking in many places, and the background music became quite loud at quite a few points. Technical aspects of any production have to be top notch for people to actually tune into their television sets - it is no use if you have the volume up and you still cannot make out what is being said.

Overall, it is a very slow start. Though it has given a pretty good insight into the characters, and the way they relate to each other, I do hope that the story picks up and we see a more fast-paced narrative. The promo for next week promises the entry of Fahd Mustafa - let's see how that goes.

Written by Drama Buff ([email protected])

This website and its content is copyright of DramaPakistani.net - Drama Pakistani 2011. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited You may not, except with our express written permission, distribute or commercially exploit the content. Nor may you transmit it or store it in any other website or other form of electronic retrieval system.

1 Votes
Meeph thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I really liked the episode😳
Sanam was so good.
Eeep,i am excited for this show.
Ladybug10 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Though MD productions are the best. But I don't understand why everyone always criticizes six sigma?? It is not that bad. Silvatien, Durr e shehwar, kuch pyaar..., ijazat, kaafir, these all shows were very nice by six sigma.
mary78613 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: HeavenlyBliss.

I will do soon! Mary are you still watching adhoori aurat?

Hy yes i do. Now its very good. Shuru mein it was pretty boring...πŸ˜ƒ
.Iconoclast. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I loved it. It's not just about two individuals but different characters. I liked the first episode. The lower middle class set up of Kiran's family did remind me of Daam.
Edited by -Iconoclast- - 11 years ago
OnlyHope thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: mary78613

Hy yes i do. Now its very good. Shuru mein it was pretty boring...πŸ˜ƒ

Is it?
I watched the 1st two and didn't get time to watch any more..
Thori aur episodes hone do, phir dekhungi πŸ˜†
starstruckk thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I have yet to watch the episode..It seems like there's mixed reviews..but it's the first episode and usually nothing crazy happens in the very first episode so it being slow if that's true is a bit expected
OnlyHope thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Yeah, nothing outstanding can happen in the 1st episode itself...actual drama will begin a few episodes later..
-Lostindreams thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
The first episode was OK, but i nvr expect something from the 1st episode.
But man they have chosen and amazing cast. Specially the elders. I love them. Im sure in a couple of episodes the story will get better.
starstruckk thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I just watched the first episode.

I really liked it. Everyone was great. This show has a big star cast especially when you look at the senior actors There's so many of them and it's just another plus. I was so glad to see Hassan Niazi in a big show after such a long time. Behroz Sabzwari as the dad was great..the opening scene with Sanam Baloch was cute..they share great father and daughter chemistry.

Now, coming to Sanam Baloch..I loved her as Kiran. Kiran is shown to be an outspoken,lively, confident and somewhat of a carefree person..and seeing Sanam Baloch in such a role was great especially considering her last one was that of Shahwar which was the opposite. That scene in the classroom with the professor was the best scene of Sanam's...and she really does look like a student.

Another thing I noticed..a few people complained about the pace being slow..which is a bit weird since how could anything spectacular happen in the first episode? However, Umera's dialogues still stood out. By now it's obvious that Umera Ahmed is subtle and she focuses on her dialogues and stories the most. That was also the case with ZGH. I loved the dialogue where Kiran said:

Koi kissi ko khuwab dekhnay say nahi rokh sakta..
Khuwabon kay saamney status ki koi ahmiyat nahi hoti..

This dialogue really stood out as that's really what happens..and plus you can't help who you end up liking, regardless.

Also, the direction and cinematography was great. Overall I really liked it.