Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Usman. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago

Originally posted by: HeavenlyBliss.

I hate men who do that. I don't know his reasons though, haven't seen the episode.

the reason was that she wont be able to pay complete attention to home if she resumed her job..
this is what irked Rukhsar that she has been doing job for ages and her brother never asked her to quit the job.
Gujar thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Your own family [sisters] turn your worst enemies with those perpetual taunts about divorcing an upmarket rich man & wedding a little shop owner. The everlasting fiscal hangover a poor family can't seem to snap out of.

Now Kiran's subjected to further miscellaneous taunts in her new home, but this should be a cake walk for her, given all she's dealt with and suffered at the hands of Sikander and family unless we see a sudden drastic negative metamorphosis of Adnan's character which is highly unlikely, purely going by instinct here since I haven't read the book so have no idea.

The scene between Kiran and her Mother once again was the clincher. Kiran has so much nooraniyat dripping from her face, so clinquant her voice pitching in emotional scenes is incredible that's her defining trademark as an actress.

Adnan's sister has suffered plus her late marriage and being sidelined and taunted over the years has bred severe discontent & as a result left her embittered, hence the needling into Kiran's affairs as to why she left her job and picking on it.

I think she feels a certain resentment since she worked so hard and was a contributer to the household, she doesn't want Kiran to have it easy & be a given laxed approach by anyone but would rather see her graft away in a similar manner plus her preconception about Kiran [ensnaring a rich guy & freeloading a wealthy family] doesn't help affairs either including Adnan's priorities towards Kiran taking precendence over her. The real test will be with Adnan to see how he negotiates attention between all three. He's already insecure financially about tending to Kiran's needs hence the constant monetary comparative to Sikandar. Hope he stabilises that part to his thought process soon before it infests permanently.

Edited by Gujar - 10 years ago
Gujar thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Haanji!, Just a name change Taken from one of our Pak Punjabi films incase you're wondering :)
Edited by Gujar - 10 years ago
Usman. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Gujar

Haanji!, Just a name change Taken from one of our Pak Punjabi films incase you're wondering :)

lol.. acha hai..
But did Kiran want to do the job?
Amara_B thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: NigelMolesworth

Kiran said that she left school/work because Adnan doesn't like it. I find that curbing a woman's desire...at least in this era. Regressive thought.

I really didn't get the impression Kiran wanted to work at all. In fact the way things have been shown so far I got the impression Kiran is glad she no longer has to work. To me it seemed like she told Rukhsar that the reason she's not working is because Adnan doesn't want her to, to be tactful and stop Rukhsar from losing her temper (obviously it didn't work).

Adnan tells Kiran he is going to uphold all his responsibilities towards her and Kiran was extremely happy hearing this. The way I read it Kiran believes it is her husbands responsibility to provide for her financially, meaning she doesn't have to work.

Of course if Kiran wanted to work and Adnan forbade it with no valid reason then there would be a problem. However from what I've seen so far that's not what happened.

The only negative shade to Adnan's character I've noticed so far is that he seems to have an inferiority complex and is comparing his own financial situation with Sikandars. That annoyed me because I do think it's disrespectful to bring up your wife's ex-husband and question her on whether she misses the luxuries she got whilst married to him. He married Kiran knowing her character, the reasons behind her divorce, and what she wants out of a marriage, he is therefore in no position to start talking about her past now that they are married. He should trust, and respect her enough to not doubt her.

All the men in this drama are flawed. Sikandar was possessive and was merely after Kiran as a trophy-wife. He didn't treat her like an individual person but like something he owned. He expected her to sit, eat, walk, talk, etc the way he wanted. He didn't want her to have her own mind, and opinions. She was just meant to sit there looking pretty and agreeing to everything he said and did. If she didn't he would beat her.

Rukhsar's husband is very similar to Sikandar. He wants Rukhsar to live her life in such a way so his own is comfortable. He married her but doesn't want to uphold his responsibilities towards her. Before marriage he damaged her ego and self respect by continually prolonging the engagement. Post marriage he's damaging her self worth by forcing her to work and uphold her own financial expenses and his families, instead of fulfilling his own financial obligations towards her.
Edited by Amara_B - 10 years ago
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Did anyone else pay attention to the lyrics from last week's background song after Sikandar and Aarzoo's fight?

Hum yahin aas paas thay lekin
Hum terey iltifaat (?) ko tarsey
Umr bhar guftagoo rahi lekin
Pyaar ki ek baat ko tarsey

❤️

The lyrics pretty much sum up Aarzoo's marriage to Sikandar. Sad, but she should have known what she was getting into by marrying him.

This week:

Adnan and Sikandar are adorable, but problems are bound to arise. Adnan was bound to develop this inferiority complex but I hope he realizes soon that when Kiran said that respect and love are far more significant to her than things and money, she meant it.

Adnan's mother and sister especially are driving me up the wall, but I suppose it's what happens in our society. Rukhsar is jealous and bitter because what Adnan is giving Kiran is everything she wants from her husband but isn't getting. Such is life, I suppose.
Edited by *Woh Ajnabee* - 10 years ago
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail

I've few questions.

Was Kiran's issue only about physical abuse? When she demanded respect from the first guy...was it only about abuse?

I was shocked to hear that she left college because this second guy is against it. Isn't curbing your dreams disrespect? It almost looked like they were taunting working women. So much for respect.

No, it wasn't just about physical abuse, he was also verbally abusive to her. And more than abuse, it was about respect - he did not respect her wishes or desires. It was always about him - what he wanted, when he wanted it and he expected her to always submit to those wishes because she was the wife.

I did not interpret that conversation about Adnan asking her to not work the same way you did. First, it was not about education but rather about working at a school. Second, I think it was more of a compare/contrast situation with Kiran and Rukhsar. Kiran would not mind working to support her family, but Adnan sees himself as the sole breadwinner. Even then, he feels that Kiran deserves respect for being the homemaker.

On the other hand, Rukhsar does not want to work. When she wasn't married, she did it to support her family with the hopes that one day her husband will come and wed her and take over all financial responsibilities. She won't have to suffer through the working conditions at her school, etc. But once she marries him, her husband and his family see her as another source of income and force her to continue working despite her wishes. That's the difference.

Regarding working women - I think we spend so much time demanding women be allowed to work and leave the house that sometimes we forget the options available to Pakistani women. Whenever they show Rukshar's workplace, it's evident that those are not ideal working conditions. She does not enjoy her job, and it is just a source of income to her. Perhaps there are women like Rukhsar out there who are forced to continue working but would much rather stay at home. Working does not automatically equate to respect and not being allowed to work and not working doesn't always mean disrespect. I think the show has a very beautiful and clear message - respect is given and earned by allowing others to make their own choices and not forcing your wishes on someone else, be it in any relationship. We are all worthy of respect and respecting yourself enough to demand respect from others and walk away when you feel disrespected is not a sign of weakness but rather strength. Self-respect is often given the name of "ego" when it comes to women, but the two are very different things.
.Iconoclast. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
^respect is given and earned by allowing others to make their own choices and not forcing your wishes on someone else, be it in any relationship.

WohAjnabee, that's exactly my point. The line I objected to was 'Adnan thinks I should be at home.' Kiran could've said that I decided to stay at home. I thought the show will be much more than domestic abuse. I thought it will showcase more options for women than just to cook and look after men. Yes, Adnan is not abusive but other than that I don't find him appealing at all. I wish Kiran had better options. She showed so much potential at school, she wanted to study further and now it's sad to see her ironing clothes and making dabba for her husband.

I've nothing against women who stay at home. So please don't misinterpret my view. I found last episode kind of regressive.
Edited by NigelMolesworth - 10 years ago
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail

^respect is given and earned by allowing others to make their own choices and not forcing your wishes on someone else, be it in any relationship.

WohAjnabee, that's exactly my point. The line I objected to was 'Adnan thinks I should be at home.' Kiran could've said that I decided to stay at home. I thought the show will be much more than domestic abuse. I thought it will showcase more options for women than just to cook and look after men. Yes, Adnan is not abusive but other than that I don't find him appealing at all. I wish Kiran had better options. She showed so much potential at school, she wanted to study further and now it's sad to see her ironing clothes and making dabba for her husband.

I've nothing against women who stay at home. So please don't misinterpret my view. I found last episode kind of regressive.

Nigel,

I'm pretty sure you're a girl based on your writing style, so it's strange to call you Nigel but nonetheless 😆 ...

No, I'm not misinterpreting your point, I get what you're trying to say. I don't have anything against stay-at-home wives/moms in general, but God knows I would go crazy if I had to do that! Haha. I see where you're coming from - if the show's point is to portray women as strong individuals it seems odd that a girl like Kiran would say "I'm not working because Adnan told me not to" as opposed to "I'm not working because I don't want to". Having said that, in my opinion, IF it was Kiran's wish to go out and work, I don't think Adnan would object, and instead he would respect her wishes. That's all I'm trying to get at. But I don't ever get the feeling that Kiran wants to work but isn't being allowed to work.

The point of the conversation was to tell Rukhsar that Adnan does not wish for his wife to go out and earn money (I realize that it sounds regressive but it's the old-fashioned thought that many in Pakistan live by). It was important to use Adnan's name there because Adnan cares and loves Kiran too much to make her go out and work and wants her to relax at home, whereas when it came to his sister (before her marriage), he never said to Rukhsar, I don't want you to work, you should relax at home since I know you hate this job. See my point there? They were trying to depict Rukshar's jealousy and not Kiran and Adnan's relationship. But I do see, how that conversation can be viewed differently.

Kiran always seemed the type to want to complete her education, which Sikandar encouraged. Now she's done with school, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember her ever expressing the desire to work. She never came across as career-oriented to me.

I always plan on writing a short reply, but alas. Sorry! Hope this clears things up.