Article:Lack Of Must-Watch Dramas On TV These Days

chaha_khan thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

Written by Haseeb Ahmed
There was a time in our lives when Ptv used to be the only TV channel and the only source of entertainment for us. The 8pm drama used to make people glue to their tv sets and streets used to be deserted during this time period as people watched TV plays in their homes, hotels, road sides and friends and relatives' places. This trend of 8pm drama spilled on in private television programming also and channels saved their best dramas for the 8pm slot.

This is the reason why 8-9pm is labeled prime time wherein there is maximum viewership and maximum ad revenue is earned. Some channels have moved their prime time dramas to 8:30 rather than 8 but the majority is still airing its dramas on 8pm.

However, none of the currently on-air prime time dramas are captivating enough to make them must-watch material for you. There are good dramas, bad dramas and passable ones also but whenever you miss one or even a few episodes of any drama, you don't feel that you have missed much.

The prime time dramas of today hold nothing of the charm of Humsafar, Daam, Dastan, Parsaa, Meri Zaat Zarra Benishan, Mera Naseeb, Roag, Mein Abdul Qadir Hoon, Diya Jalay etc. Yes, there's a Shehr e Zaat but it suffers from an oft-repeated theme extra marital affair and loss of interest in marriage. It suffers from Mahira's good-bad acting and expressions and same theme of turning towards religion once you are rejected by humans. It can be called a good drama but again due to Mahira's acting and oft-repeated theme it's not a must-watch drama for many.

There's Ashk also but too verbose and talk heavy scenes, little or no movement in story and abundance of drinking and liquor scenes makes it unbearable. The only saving grace here is the super star Fawad Afzal Khan due to whom most people watch this serial which is a total disaster to say the least and is sad misuse of a lot of money and resources.

Roshan Sitara which airs on Hum TV again has same story of a greedy mother marrying off a girl against her wishes and despite having Sanam Baloch in a double story, its story doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Maseeha boasts of a great talent Ayesha Khan but weak and illogical story and poor acting by others make it a very ordinary fare and something which you can definitely miss.

Geo's Yeh Zindagi Hai should now be named Yeh torture hai. Jameela's gone but her duplicate beggar look alike is there and this serial is nothing less of an Indian soap with characters dying and reappearing, frequent use of fowl language, physically aggressive behavior and nonsensical story. I wonder why is it on air and who's watching it.

Mi Raqsam is an effort by the acclaimed director Sabiha Sumar but perhaps what works for a movie doesn't necessarily works for a tv drama. It will take time for Sabiha to learn this if she's to continue making dramas. Her debut drama is more of an extended version of Khuda Aur Muhabbat and is so depressing that most people don't watch it.

Sabz Pari Laal Kabootar is a novel theme dealing with poverty and its related issues but is lost in gamut of other serials. Again it's a good effort and can be called a good drama but depressing theme and slow-moving story stops it from becoming a must-watch.

ARY's Quddusi Sahab kee bewa having Hina Dilpazeer in multiple roles is too bold, boasts of vulgar dialogues and open flirtations and is definitely not a family drama thus limiting its appeal and charm. Thakan of the same channel has an ages old story of a girl being made to work for her selfish family with no one really caring for her or bothering for her feelings and happiness. Had it not been for Saba Qamar, this serial would have lost major chunk of its audience for it holds nothing new for us audience. Aks could be a good drama but has just started out so too early to comment on it except that it has same theme of sisters pitted against each other vying for same man. Let's wait and watch what does it have in store for us.

This pretty much sums up the dramas on air on different channels. I might have missed some dramas but again they were not great either and hardly anybody is addicted to them, so no harm done. I seriously wish, hope and pray that we get to see some really good, addictive and must-watch prime time dramas soon. This overdose of same themes, depressing stuff, mediocre acting and misfit actors is driving us away from our tv screens.

Tags: ARY, Geotv, Humtv
Edited by chaha_khan - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

everyone is addicted to mere dard ko jo zubaan mile :D
BlackStar. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I'm probably the minority but I seriously find MDKJZM boring.. Liked it only uptil Arfa got married..
Then at the same time I love Shehr-e-Zaat and I think overlooking Mahirah's acting from the inital few episodes, she's been great and so has everyone else from the show..
-shabz- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: BlackStar.

I'm probably the minority but I seriously find MDKJZM boring.. Liked it only uptil Arfa got married..
Then at the same time I love Shehr-e-Zaat and I think overlooking Mahirah's acting from the inital few episodes, she's been great and so has everyone else from the show..

i agree...i only watch MDKJZM when i have nothing else to watch...its a drama that is filled with unfortunate events...murder,rape,disable person gets another disability,brother in law ki badmashiyan, flirting with sister in law while stealing from them, his daughter having premarital sex and then dies while aborting it...its like bushra didnt want to leave any evil out for her future projects...sab issi main shamil kerdo😆...i thing the only thing left is suicide...or maybe it is too soon to say...yeh bhi ho jaye shayad.
Usman. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: chaha_khan

Geo's Yeh Zindagi Hai should now be named Yeh torture hai. Jameela's gone but her duplicate beggar look alike is there and this serial is nothing less of an Indian soap with characters dying and reappearing, frequent use of fowl language, physically aggressive behavior and nonsensical story. I wonder why is it on air and who's watching it.

Rofl @ Yeh torture hai.. and are they really doing this.. the humshakal part... hilarious 🤣

overall, i quite agree with the article. There is nothing for which i wait the whole week..

@mere dard ko.. it is good but not extra ordinary & i agree with HV that Bushra has added all the tragedies in the world in this one serial
mahirakhan9 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
mere dard ...ko is good in my opinion i liked acting of sarwat and alishba ya but yeh zindagi hai shud b replaced and qadossi ki bewa also
starstruckk thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I agree with this article. I really like Shehr e Zaat...but the article is right, it doesn't offer anything new. Don't get me wrong, I love Umera's scripts..but this one is predictable probably because it's based on a novel..and then the promos reveal so much..to top it off, there are already many other dramas by Umera where she depicts how someone turns to religion eventually. There's nothing new within the drama itself if you're an ardent Pakistani television viewer..it is a been there, seen that kind of thing..but it's presented well. And although Mahira is doing a decent job now..she did ruin the initial episodes and that was quite annoying especially for a drama by Umera. Personally think this drama has helped Mikaal bring out the best of him than any other actor/actress in the serial. I think he's one of the stronger points..

Everything else on tv is average or below average.
Edited by starstruckk - 12 years ago
Usman. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
^I've always thought of Mikaal as a non-actor.. but it was Dur-e-Shahwar which changed my opinion about him.. and yes he is doing a great job in SeZ too
Edited by Usman. - 12 years ago
starstruckk thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Usman.

^I've always thought Mikaal as a non-actor.. but it was Dur-e-Shahwar which changed my opinion about him.. and yes he is doing a great job in SeZ too

Yeah, I thought he was great in Durre Shahwar also! I always liked Mikaal mainly because he used to be one of my favorite male models ever since I saw him in Abrar ul Haq's video Sanu Tere Naal Pyar Hogaya 😆...but, as an actor I always thought he had potential but wasn't using it to the best of his ability and nor was he doing quality stuff..but ever since last yr, I think he has improved tremendously and has gotten some great projects. I thought he was great in Kuch Pyar Ka Pagalpan..and then Durre Shahwar came along..he was brilliant and with Shehr e Zaat I think he has really made it as a good actor. I also watch him these days in Manjali & Talaafi and he has seriously become a totally different actor. I'm really happy because I actually felt that the guy had talent but just needed time.

I remember saying this once here on this forum..😆..that Mikaal just needs one or two good projects and he'll start doing way better..and right then Durre Shahwar & Shehr e Zaat came and they really did it for him.
Edited by starstruckk - 12 years ago
Raindrops. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
^ I think he was really good in DeS and i absolutely love his acting in Man Jali ...with SeZ i would say he had very less scenes but he did well in most of them especially recent ones and i love the way he looks at Mahira in the promo where she says Mujh se zyada khubsurat hai...Amazing !
Mikaal has got very less scenes as compared to Mahira ...say if Mahira has 10 scenes he has around 3-4 ...This is the problem i have with SeZ ...it is just too focused on Falak , agree it is Falak's story but Umera needed to give bit more scenes to Salman to explain his character a bit better.
SeZ drags a lot and yes initially Mahira didn't act so well...she has improved though considering this is her third serial ...Even Mikaal took so many years to improve!