Humsafar- Episode Review/Updates

saaaz thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Hey guys,,,😛

I am new to this thread, tho not new to IF at all...I usually post episode reviews of Humsafar on http://alliswell.express-forum.net/t2559p105-humsafar-pak-drama-discussion-thread#32278, some of my friends there requested me to post them here too..

I am only posting episode 2 and 3...if it does generate discussions and more views..I shall continue to post here too..if it is limited, I encourage you to please read it at the above link...

So here goes..Thank you all in advance..😃

EPISODE 2

Humsafar Episode Analysis Ep.2

I have only picked some aspects I enjoyed watching..tried my best to not repeat discussions already taking place which needless to say have been fantastic..

I like the pace of this show very much. It is not just a relief from the drag fests that we are subjected to but even the movements within each scene are detailed in a manner that are realistic yet entertaining..

Note the outdoor scene where the father and son have a conversation, the breeze blows, birds chirp and the leaves sway..yet the swings on the far right end of the lawn are still..almost like as though what the father is about to ask from the son shall still the son..
The aspect of father asking from his son is not new..sacrificial bonds such as these are extremely common in eastern cultures and parents are extremely conscious and sensitive of this ..in fact, if you notice the dialogue between the father and son, the father says.."main tumhare kwaishiyein khwab sab kuch cheen lene ki baat kar rahaa hoon".. however as the episode progresses, specifically, the conversation between the husband and wife..Asher's parents, the sacrificial bonds pave way to the chauvinistic one..another one common in eastern cultures ..and note the dialogue here, it is one of domination ..which tells us something about Baseehar's character..as long as the relationship was one of 'blood'- son, sister..the conversations, expectations and demands were pleading..the minute the relationship changed, everything associated with the relationship changed..almost took an ugly turn..which makes me want to say Basheehar is the most orthodox character of this story.

Another aspect I noticed regarding Baseehar was from Asher's point of view..Asher's constant..'never seen his father this way' tells us that Baseehar wants to absolute himself from the guilt he has regarding treating his sister ..which he shall now carry out under any circumstance..which then is obvious from the way he keeps Fareeda out of it completely.

The movements in the short scene between the household help and Asher with Khirat making an apprearence says a lot too. Firstly I love sounds..that add to the scene..sounds of the oil splattering, and the beaten egg being made into a omlette..Raza asks for a coffee if Asher does not want breakfast, a sign of a help that has been there for a long time. The look that Khirat gives Asher after their salaams and Asher's infuriated glance..has set the tone of the beginning of this marriage already..well done..in front of the household help, they shall be polite..but behind the backs..confusion and exasperation.

I think a lot has already been said of Asher's and Sara's relationship, so won't delve too much into it. Loved the closed office room with the television images constantly playing,, while a part of me thought it was distracting, a part of me also felt, the scene showed us Asher's room is like him, very neat and tidy and the constant TV play tells us, somewhere Asher is a confused man..and then the backyard convo..where Asher is very clear cut..in a backyard which is perfectly decorated with neatly carved pots and plants perfectly trimmed..just as Sara thought of herself for Asher..that she was and is perfect for him..her words jaahil, gaanv …not his standard with respect to Khirat and her insistence that Khirat and Asher is a bejod shaadi..and Asher's immediate reaction to it..tells us that this sets the tone for the next stage in Asher's life..where his aim probably shall be to prove that his and Khirat's Jodi is not BEJOD…

The open area in the night sets the tone for Asher and his mother Farida..it brings out the open conversation..from Asher and from Farida..agar tumhein Sara mein koyee interest nahin tho main Baseehar ki tarah nahin hoon…these dialogues and Farida's reference to Asher's father by taking his name instead of saying tumhare abbu or tumhare dad..was a little biting I thought, almost bitchy, almost like as though they were preparing us for the scene between Farida and Baseehar where as an audience we would be confused as to who to feel for..FRANKLY, this was a bad move, becos no matter what, in a modern set up, the scene between Farida and Baseehar was difficult to digest and even if Farida is the biggest bitch..NO one I repeat NO one deserves to be treated like that!!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

saaaz thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Ep.3 Analysis

It was a depressing episode, from a story point of view of course. As for the treatment, dialogues, acting, twas very very good. The aspect for me that definetely set the tone of the episode were two words..

Khuddari and EGO.

When Khirat's mother explains to her that what she brought her daughter up was with khuddari (a sort of self respect) but what is stopping Khirat from accepting or giving a chance to this match is EGO. I thought this was a perfect example of where two generations meet, as the east begins to melt with western culture, aspects of self respect, self individuality, self independence and self ego are beginning to blur to a lot of new gen, they all mean the same thing, but eastern culture teaches us they are not. Self respect is one with which you hold your individualisim, whereas self ego is when you hold on to everything that you think is your's..in the former, you give importance to values, in the latter, you give importance to self, period. Hence, one is a positive trait whereas the other is a negative one since it does not allow you to move on.

This aspect runs through the episode.

For Khirat, the fact that 'she' is dragged into this marriage without being asked, or asked for, is amounting to her zillat that she feels insulted.. and true to her generation, she wants to discuss it in the open with Asher.

Okay, let me be upfront and just say scenes that are written where protaganist 'overhears' and therefore stops herself from making a move irritate me to no end..yaar, this aspect of story telling in a drama is getting old. We need a new trick, of course how do you prolong the 'meeting' of the two soulmates, i guess???!!!. Of course, Asher's phone conversation with his 'friend' i presume, attributes his cousin -Khirat- as backward- the exact word used, which goes back to hit Khirat. Her walking away and not talking to Asher --- is this ego ya khuddari??

The conversation between fareeda and Sara's mother lacked a bit of conviction from Fareeda I thought, so also the scene between Sara and Fareeda when Fareeda tells her dil pe pathar rakhke maanlo..that snaps Sara..she is beyond herself calls Asher, yells on the phone..and of course that culminates in her attempting to take her life..is this ego ya khuddari??

THE BRILLIANT USE OF MEDIA within a show --- HATS off to the director, after a long time, I have come across a show where media (TV, newspaper etc) is being used in a show to subtly take the story forward..the show/movie that Sara is watching before attempting suicide is a 'woman oriented' show however, one that is full of violence and destruction almost like as though it is paving the way to the way Sara's mind works..one towards self destruction...BRILIIANTL DONE...small aspects such as these kill me everytime...IN FACT I never had a chance to talk about it in the first episode..but there is a scene there before Baseraat comes and tells Fareeda that his sister is dying, Fareeda is watching a HUMAN RIGHTS program on the television...VERY VERY TELLING...of what was to come..

Asher's immediate concern for his best friend,..being there for her and her mother..and his attempt at humor when Sara regains consciousness is done with such a good flow, the situation, the reaction is extremely realistic, except for him not telling his father that it was Sara in the hospital, are we to assume that Baseerat did not know Sara??...why was this aspect not actually discussed at all in the Baseerat household shall remain an unanswered question...and my question then is..

'does the book also treat the suicide as an isolated incident'..the suicide at least on the show is the turning point..becos it seems like Asher reaches out to Sara later..as a friend..and she does not turn him away almost like her ego driven act has paved the way for a new hope..

I think friends at AIW (the forum where I post my review) have brilliantly pointed out the aspect of the quick nikaah and the conversation between Fareeda and Baseerat. where, in the both the cases, ego has taken a back seat and khuddari has risen above it..therefore making the conversation between Fareeda and Baseerat positive, correct and thank god for it..

Khirat looked beautiful in red while Asher looked yum in sober white kurta..the whole nikaah scene was serene and calm..while of course the scene demanded it..it was I could not help think was a contrast to the show shaa we see in shows where a marriage is met with OTT treatment..

Another brilliant episode..cannot wait for episode 4...
columbia thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
This is qualitatively the most superior review I have ever read on this forum. The way you have connected the artistic angle of storytelling and visuals of the show and related them to what the storyline is simply thumbs up! I look forward to more from you. I hope you do post your review every week here. It makes me watch the show from a different angle , what a fantastic review. So practical and realistic
simplytoxic thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
loved ur reviews, keep on posting!
really appreciate ur work:)
c85rie thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4
The excellent of media was once again utilized in episode 4, the sofa scene or the first scene where asher and khirad actually talk to each other.