It's makeover time for Ashutosh Rana

sheetald thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Ashutosh Rana
Actor Ashutosh Rana likes to experiment with his looks with every new film.

Last seen in Kalyug in a rugged look, replete with tattoos and metal chains the actor has now opted for a sober image for his next, Take 2, a suspense thriller directed by Debaloy Dey. In the film, the actor plays a scheming lawyer and has gone for makeover in keeping with the demands of the character.

Cropped look

As far as hairdo is concerned, it's the crew cut that Rana always had in mind. The short hair only goes to enhance his persona as a bold and stylish detective that he plays.

Sexy Ashutosh!

The actor was recently shot by ace photographer Vikram Bawa before he left for his schedule in London. Says Bawa, "It was very exciting and challenging to work an actor who only plays negative roles.

Ashutosh is so giving to the camera. We did try experimenting by bringing out the unexplored Ashutosh and I was myself amazed by the results we obtained — he looked far younger and sexier." Rana further adds, "I'm myself amazed and Vikram has done wonders he's brought out altogether a different side of me."

Style icon

We hear that Rana is contemplating a special look for Mahesh Bhatt's Showbiz, which revolves around the role media plays in creating a popular icon. Inspired by the role of the media as the evolving fourth estate, the film seeks to unveil the use and misuse of the powers of the media. The actor will be seen playing a media tycoon who spells fashion norms and styles with his power dressing.

Rana's Experiments

Rana on his obsession with experimentation and transformation when it comes to role-playing in Bollywood. Read on…

Tell us about the role
This is a bold, sophisticated, stylish yet intense character and in order to absorb the role, you have to live that character in terms of appearances and also thought patterns. As a detective I've retained the suave look."

How do you prepare?
I study the psyche of the character and get a taste of his thought process before starting a film. I call it the 'mental makeup'. Once I have that in place, the physicality gradually sets in.

Do you work upon your look?
I get attuned to the character after studying the script and having a discussion with the director and the writer. Then, I sit and sketch the look and feel of my character.

Sometimes I try meeting the people I'm expected to play on the screen. For example, I met Shabnam Mausi in real-life and took a note of the loud and garish clothes and accessories she would wear.

What're the practices you follow?
After I sketch out the needs of the character in terms of clothes and accessories, I always go for a photo shoot to check whether I look authentic and real in the scheme of the plot. I shot with Vikram Bawa before I started shooting for Take 2.

How open are you to innovations?
I'm the most innovative man in Bollywood today. I believe in experimentation and transformation and can go to any length for the needs of my character. I attempt to be either brilliant or worst. The word good doesn't exist for me.

In what avatar do we see you in Mahesh Bhatt's Showbiz?
"I can make you or break you," is what my character who is a media tycoon, believes in. I have groomed myself in a way that I come across as the most attractive man you have seen. His evil intentions and confidence comes across through the look I have chosen for it.