Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Cutiepie_Rani thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 14 years ago

Originally posted by: ssk13809

Can you explain where exactly was she "lacking"? As you said, it's a quite a few places? ๐Ÿ˜†
Tell me some of those places.

And please tell me where she was lacking not the song. Keep that in mind.

Ok. I have heard quite a few of songs sung by Shreya. And in comparison to all those songs, I felt that this song in particular didn't so as much justice to her voice as it could have. But I'm not here to judge the song, rather the singing. This is my opinion and I know I'm under the minority here. Although she had all the elements of a singer (taal, raag, sargam etc) in the song the variations and tempo were missing. She had the feel and connectivity that is required by a singer. But somewhere she was lacking. I felt she wasn't able to connect as much with the audience as compared to her other songs. And knowing how much of a fabulous and melodious singer Shreya is, I felt she could have done a lot more better. I felt this was just a little above average singing. And I have to take everything into consideration while judging. I'm sorry if you felt my score was too harsh and mean. As much as I love Shreya, I have to be honest. My scores for her have always been on the high edge.
Cutiepie_Rani thumbnail

Originally posted by: xobile

Great evaluation, ssk! I thought her classical training really showed here - some of the lyrics you pointed out were literally sung as taans.

And I agree, the audience might not warm to this song because it wasn't much of a hit, but I think Shreya has enough fans out there to survive that! Plus, people will get to hear a great song, so we all win...

@CPR I would have protested you giving Shreya's singing the same marks as Alisha (in fact you wanted to give Shreya a 6.5 and Alisha 7) but I'm sure Shreya's gonna sail through this round so no probs!

Alisha and Shreya's singing in this round was quite the same to me. Nothing extraordinary but at the same time nothing below average. I just expect more from Shreya, as I think she is a fabulous and melodious singer. I have no doubts Shreya will be one of the top contenders in this competition. She is one of the best. I'm sorry if my score came out rather too harshly. This is the first time I've gone with a low score for Shreya. My scores in the previous two rounds have been immensely high for her.
ssk13809 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Great evaluation, ssk! I thought her classical training really showed here - some of the lyrics you pointed out were literally sung as taans.

And I agree, the audience might not warm to this song because it wasn't much of a hit, but I think Shreya has enough fans out there to survive that! Plus, people will get to hear a great song, so we all win...

@CPR I would have protested you giving Shreya's singing the same marks as Alisha (in fact you wanted to give Shreya a 6.5 and Alisha 7) but I'm sure Shreya's gonna sail through this round so no probs!

And of course Shreya will survive this round. Though her streak as #1 might end in this round. Especially with the singers singing some of their bests.
ssk13809 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Cutiepie Rani

Ok. I have heard quite a few of songs sung by Shreya. And in comparison to all those songs, I felt that this song in particular didn't so as much justice to her voice as it could have. But I'm not here to judge the song, rather the singing. This is my opinion and I know I'm under the minority here. Although she had all the elements of a singer (taal, raag, sargam etc) in the song the variations and tempo were missing. She had the feel and connectivity that is required by a singer. But somewhere she was lacking. I felt she wasn't able to connect as much with the audience as compared to her other songs. And knowing how much of a fabulous and melodious singer Shreya is, I felt she could have done a lot more better. I felt this was just a little above average singing. And I have to take everything into consideration while judging. I'm sorry if you felt my score was too harsh and mean. As much as I love Shreya, I have to be honest. My scores for her have always been on the high edge.

Well I think this song had a lot of variation, even from line to line. ""Chalo" (low-pitch), and then a high-pitch always following it, and then back to low. And so on.  And then in her post main-sequence she really showed a lot of variation. You can just listen to it, she starts normally, adds classical variation, finishes very high, etc.

As far as the tempo goes. I think this song is just an unconventional song. That had seemingly awkward pauses if you first listen to it. Because that's just how the song is, a different and unconventional tempo. It's not your usual song, something a little different. I enjoyed it, but I can see why someone else would think this song and the singer has pauses out of nowhere, because like I said, this is an unconventional song. It takes a little bit to get used to. Some like it right away, others take a while, others just hate it forever.

Edited by ssk13809 - 14 years ago
xobile thumbnail

Originally posted by: Cutiepie Rani

Alisha and Shreya's singing in this round was quite the same to me. Nothing extraordinary but at the same time nothing below average. I just expect more from Shreya, as I think she is a fabulous and melodious singer. I have no doubts Shreya will be one of the top contenders in this competition. She is one of the best. I'm sorry if my score came out rather too harshly. This is the first time I've gone with a low score for Shreya. My scores in the previous two rounds have been immensely high for her.

Well you are definitely entitled to your opinion and I'm sure you're not biased in favour or against anyone. But I'm surprised you weren't impressed by the great taans Shreya had in her singing - you don't see that quality very often!

Anyway, your score is final so no point arguing. But I am concerned about one thing. The bold part suggests that you are slightly strict with Shreya because you expect a lot from her and you have seen her do much better in other songs. That's fine, but I hope you are using the same scale for each singer.
sunandshine thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Well you are definitely entitled to your opinion and I'm sure you're not biased in favour or against anyone. But I'm surprised you weren't impressed by the great taans Shreya had in her singing - you don't see that quality very often!

Anyway, your score is final so no point arguing. But I am concerned about one thing. The bold part suggests that you are slightly strict with Shreya because you expect a lot from her and you have seen her do much better in other songs. That's fine, but I hope you are using the same scale for each singer.

Doesnt matter, coz when you normalize one or two point difference wont make an impact on overall score๐Ÿ˜Š
Cutiepie_Rani thumbnail
I have said it for others singers too about the bold part. I am not being strict with Shreya in particular. I've also stated in many previous posts that I am really a nobody to be judging such wonderful talents. I'm sorry my ratings and evaluations came off harsh. I don't intend to offend any fans of Shreya or Shreya herself. I just simply stated my own opinion on how I felt. Once again sorry. I have nothing personal against any singer. In fact first two rounds I have given her a 9 and 10.
xobile thumbnail
@CPR no don't worry, there's no problem with coming off harsh. There is soo much great singing out there, you can never be too harsh.

But yes, I've noticed you mention this thing about 'potential' and 'expectation' a lot for a number of the singers. Which makes me think that maybe you have higher expectations from Shreya so she has to work harder to get a 7 from you, whereas someone who has lower potential in your eyes need not do all that to get a 7.

I'm not jumping to any conclusion atm - there have just been two rounds so far! Just saying that I hope it's not the case... You must use the same grading scale for all singers, no matter what their potential.
somone999 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Hhhmmmm...A very soft number...

The voice is pleasant as usual. The song creates a soothing impact with its slow melody. However, from the very start I have felt that the throw could have been more better. In spite of remaining soft in tone, one can enhance his/her throw. Due to this lesser throw, the impact lessens. Apologies to the fans of this song. However, The magical effect of Shreya's voice is definitely heard. The expression is reasonably well, could have been improved. Pronunciation is okay. Not as such many difficult portions to sing. Never-the-less, the job has been done well.

But, this song does not force me to give it any higher rating than 8. It contained no 'wow' factor for me. This round is going to be difficult to judge, so have to maintain a level of strictness in markings. So, my marks will be 8 out of 10.
Cutiepie_Rani thumbnail

@CPR no don't worry, there's no problem with coming off harsh. There is soo much great singing out there, you can never be too harsh.

But yes, I've noticed you mention this thing about 'potential' and 'expectation' a lot for a number of the singers. Which makes me think that maybe you have higher expectations from Shreya so she has to work harder to get a 7 from you, whereas someone who has lower potential in your eyes need not do all that to get a 7.

I'm not jumping to any conclusion atm - there have just been two rounds so far! Just saying that I hope it's not the case... You must use the same grading scale for all singers, no matter what their potential.

I have given Shreya a 9 and 10 in earlier rounds. I haven't even given my favorite singer that high of a score. I'm not being biased towards any singer and my grading scale is the same for all the singers.