AYESHA TAKIA AZMI : Interview !!

Sneh-Jiwan thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 14 years ago

INDIAN TELEVISION ALWAYS SHOWS WOMEN AS SUPPRESSED AND BACKWARD

Known for doing cutesy roles, this baby-faced actress stirred things up a bit when she took up a role opposite bad boy Salman Khan in Wanted. While everyone was too busy ticking her off the charts once she got married, this young lady showed us that she is here to stay. In the midst of all the brouhaha post the film's stupendous success, she lent us a bit of her precious time to chat about what's hot and what's not on the television scene…

How much time do you spend watching TV everyday?

Not much really. The only time I watch television is when my movie is releasing! Then I watch a lot of music channels and other channels that air promos and all that. Other than that I don't get much time.

What are your favourite shows on TV?

Well, I really like The Ellen DeGeneres Show. I think Ellen is really cool! As far as Hindi shows are concerned, I don't really watch any. Like I said, I mainly watch trailers and so on.

Who are your favourite personalities on TV?

I guess it would have to be Ellen DeGeneres. And I really like Oprah (Winfrey) a lot. I like Friends, that's a fun show as well; I watch it on and off.

If you were to act in a daily soap, it would be…

I really don't know! I don't know if I could play a certain character for that long. So I don't think I'd want to act in a daily soap. If I was to play a part in an English show, I'd have to pick Rachel from Friends. That's one role I wouldn't mind playing forever! It's a fun role.

What do you love most about Indian television?

I don't really watch any TV as I have said. But the idea I get is that most of them have this family angle and they show family life and that is great.

What do you detest most about Indian television?

Well, they always show women as suppressed and backward. Even on the posters and hoardings, you'll see the women are crying and are shattered, and some shattering things are happening in their lives. And all the time it's the same thing. The titles also will be maa ki, beti ki, bahu ki or something like that.

Somewhere down the line it's about women being suppressed and I think that needs to change! I don't want to put it across too strongly because I don't really watch TV, but from the trailers and posters, that's the perception I have.

Name two television stars you'd recognize even in a crowd.

Oh that's a difficult one. I'd say Ronit Roy, I would recognize him! And his brother Rohit.

What is your take on Indian news channels?

Well, there's a lot going on and I think if they talk a little less about stuff that doesn't matter and concentrate on news that does matter, it would be better. But overall, I am sure they're doing really well; after all people enjoy watching stuff like that.

When was the last time you watched
TV at a stretch?

Maybe a few weeks ago. I was really excited then about the promos of Wanted. I was looking out for how it's doing and what the response was like. I was catching up on all the interviews too.

Your earliest memories of Indian television….

Well honestly, I used to never really watch Hindi television. I used to watch mainly cartoons and movies when I was small. But I did host a show for Disney when I was about 13-14, so that is really what I associate to my childhood memories of television. Those days are something I will always remember.

Why do you think film stars are turning to TV off late?

I think it's because there's a TV in everybody's house. You can relate to a lot more people, more personally. They see you everyday when they tune in, they don't have to go to a theatre or rent a movie to see you. They don't have to wait for your movie to release. And I think it's a great way to relate to your audience. I think it's great that more and more movie actors are turning to TV.

Your dream role on television…

I think it would have to be Rachel Greene on Friends. I just think it's the ideal role for me!

If you were a TV star….

I'd have great fun with it. As I do with everything else. I'd be working really hard I'm sure.

http://www.magnamags.com