Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

niveditha thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 14 years ago
Tejaswini is excited to play Rani Padmini

Teenager Tejawini Lonari made her debut on TV with the serial Rani Padmini Ka Johur a week ago on Sony TV. But unlike the long, winding plots adopted by most television shows, it has been decided already that Rani Padmini Ka Johur will only have 104 episodes. Tejawini gives us the details.

The actress, who was among the twenty girls short-listed out of a hundred and ten, says, "I am from Pune. I always wanted to become an actress and trained at the Kishore Namit Kumar acting institute. No one in my family is into acting, although my mother is very good at it! I went for a series of auditions and look tests, and finally, I was selected for this role. Though I am shy and simple, I can relate to my character to a certain extent."

19-year-old Tejawini has done a lot of research for the role. She adds, "I didn't know much about Rani Padmini, we had just a page on Johur and Padmini in our academic books. So I was provided with all the necessary reading by the team. We had acting workshops too. I was also trained to ride a horse and learnt stunts and sword fighting for six months."

Elaborating on the stunts, Tejawini proudly says, "I have done all the stunts myself. I was once put on a 30 feet high crane with a harness. I was scared hanging in the air like that. Even now, when I think of it, I get the goose bumps. I had my college exams while we were shooting for the stunts but the production house was sweet enough to let me give my exams."

Neeta Lulla has designed clothes and jewellery for the show. Tejawini adds, "We're using real jewellery. I did many screen tests and when I started shooting, I carried off the costumes very well; without any problems. When I faced the camera for the first time, I wasn't even nervous. It was because the team made me comfortable and I am a trained actress."

The show is produced by well-know art director Nitin Desai. Describing working with him, the actress says, "Nitin sir is a hard taskmaster and he knows how to get the best out of an actor. The sets are very grand and beautiful. I really feel like a queen when I am shooting. The sets have become my second home now. And since my mother is always with me, I don't even miss my family much."

Tejawini, who bears a striking resemblance to Bollywood star Rani Mukherjee, is flattered by the high profile comparison, saying, "Rani is one of the best actresses and my favourite too so it feels good to be compared to her. It's also nice that people are comparing my look to Aishwarya Rai's in Jodhaa Akbar. But when you watch the show, you'll see that it is totally different."

Talking about her future plans in the industry, the newbie says, "There is no difference between television and films. If you have the will and luck, you will definitely make it big. I don't have anything against saas-bahu shows. If I am offered one, I'm sure I can carry it off well. I am blessed to have got the role of Rani Padmini. I couldn't have asked for a better launch."

Shooting for Rani Padmini Ka Johur is taking place at ND Studio in Karjat. The film Jodhaa Akbar was also shot there. This week, Rohit Bakshi will make his entry on the show as the King of Chittor, Ratan Singh.

http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/June/News_20090605_21

Jenifer. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Maharaja Ratan Singh is petrified

June 4th, 2009 - 4:18 pm ICT by sampurn -

Maharaja Ratan Singh of Chittod aka Rohit Bakshi who is playing male lead in the show Chittod Ki Rani Padmini Ka Johur is bit petrified when it comes to the combating with the real weapons.

As per our khabroo from the sets, "Rohit Bakshi is bit apprehensive when it comes to the sword fighting or horse riding. He is scared of the horses."

Rohit and Tejaswani use real weapons in the scenes. "They had been given a special training in handling the armaments. Tejaswani is lot more confident than Rohit and had been doing well so far. She has learnt the art of sword fighting and horse riding easily."

"Though Rohit has also learnt and we are not that he is bad. But when it comes to comparing both in the same, Tejaswani is much better," ends the source.

Well Rohit you need to buck up to stand out from Rani Padmini is all that we can say!!!

-Rachana Trivedi/ Sampurn Media
Jenifer. thumbnail

Kranti to play Ratan Singh's first wife

June 4th, 2009 - 12:53 am ICT by sampurn -

The new historic show on Sony, Chittod Ki Rani Padmini Ka Johur is all set for a high point. Not many people knew that Raja Ratan Singh had two wives, Padmini and Nagmati. Kranti Redkar will be playing his first wife.

"I essay the character of Nagmati who is the first wife of Ratan Singh. She is a strong headed person and very ambitious," states Kranti.

Elaborating more on her role, the actress quips, "My role will see some grey shades. She is negative but it has been presented in a different way. I being a queen have some kind of sophistication like the way I dress, walks, and talks and behave. So it's quite different from what I have played in the past." Kranti was last seen in Simply Sapne playing a negative role.

How will be your rapport with Padmini in the show? "Of course there will be confrontation with Padmini as she is very beautiful and second wife of my husband. I am a woman who doesn't like her husband to be shared. The reason is that I am very possessive about him," she adds further.

Kranti Redkar has been a theatre and Marathi movie actress. "I have done some 14 movies in three years and Jatra was my first film. I had been doing theatres along side. Now I am trying my luck in main stream Hindi television too. I hope audience do like me and appreciate me," she concludes.

Let's see if Kranti is able to bring a new kranti on small screen?
-Sampurn Media
Jenifer. thumbnail

Small screen's big wedding

Prithwish Ganguly
Sunday, June 7, 2009 23:59 IST

Mumbai: Indian television is set to witness the most lavish on-screen wedding. Jewellery worth about Rs2 crore will be used for an opulent marriage sequence in the serial Chittod Ki Rani Padmini Ka Johur.

Indian television is set to witness the most lavish on-screen wedding.

DNA has also learnt that the makers of this serial have insured everything from the sets to costumes and jewellery for Rs6 crore.

A source says, "It is one of the grandest weddings on Indian television. The bride and groom are dressed in Neeta Lulla's creations. Just the female lead's jewellery adds up to about Rs75 lakh. It's made of real gold. She dons kundans, a gold outfit, five gold kadas weighing close to 180 grams and three neckpieces weighing more than 400 grams. It echoes the setting of a real-life royal wedding."

Nitin Desai, the maker of the serial, says: "It is true that we have lavish costumes, jewellery and sets. The ornaments are worth Rs2 crore and we have insured everything for around Rs6 crore. I have designed the ornaments myself and they have been made by PN Jewellers."

He adds: "A small-screen marriage can be as lavish as the ones shown on big-screen. Our story is about a royal family and so we cannot have a low-key marriage. All the jewellery had to be real too as audiences want to see real things today. We thought we would make it a spectacle for them in terms of lavishness and opulence."

Jenifer. thumbnail

Rajesh Vivek in Chittod Ki Rani Padmini..

Rajesh Vivek, popularly known as Guran of Lagaan fame will be seen essaying an important role in Sony's historical on ...

Jenifer. thumbnail

S.M. Zaheer in Rani Padmini

By RajDixit 2009-06-16 17:46

The veteran actor S.M. Zaheer who we have seen in films like Veer-Zaara, Zubeida, Maachis will now be seen in Rani Padmini. The actor will be playing the great poet Amir Khusro in the show.

A source from the show informed, "S.M. Zaheer is not only a very professional actor but also great person to work with. The veteran actor is playing the famous Mughal poet Amir Khusro. He has started shooting also."

We contacted director Krishna Kant Pandya who confirmed the news, "Yes, Mr. Zaheer is playing Khusro's character, who was a great poet and father of Qawwali. He is a great actor to work with and audiences will see him in a totally different avatar. He knows the Urdu language very well so people will surely accept him as a poet and he will also be seen singing some of the poems in the show."

We tried contacting Zaheer but in vain.

Jenifer. thumbnail
Bureau News
June 10th, 2009

The wedding season is on and definitely on small screen also. Recently Rani Padmini (Tejaswani) got married to Raja Ratan Singh (Rohit Bakshi) in the show. It was said to be one of the costliest wedding on Indian television with lots of money spend on the clothes and jewellers of the actors.

The royal wedding, a real grand affair was shot over 5 days at ND Studios, where the sets of the show have been erected. The bride (Rani Padmini) and the groom (Rana Ratan Singh) are dressed in Neeta Lulla's creations; the jewellery worn by Tejaswini is created by Nitin Desai along with PN Jewelers in real gold, embellished with kundan and worth close to Rs. 2 crore nearly.

Debutante Tejaswini completely looks the part of a young princess in the gold outfit and wearing five gold kadas (bangles) weighing close to 180 grams and three neckpieces weighing more than 400 gms.

When asked the Producer Nitin Chandrakant Desai on the big wedding sequence, he said "Indian history is gorgeous architecturally, we studied the culture and researched on the subject and wanted to maintain the scale and richness of a real Royal wedding."

"The wedding costume is around 12 to 13 lakhs. My dear friend Neeta has helped me a lot in this and I am grateful to her for the same. These jewelleries are specially made in one of the shop in Pune," he concludes.

This is what we call a paisa pheko tamasha dekho

-Rachana Trivedi / - SAMPURN

Edited by Jenifer. - 14 years ago
Jenifer. thumbnail

Rohit Bakshi takes a crash course...

Rohit Bakshi mastered the skills of horse riding and sword fighting in no time for his role of Ratan Singh in Sony's ...

Jenifer. thumbnail

'Jewellery in Rani Padmini's wedding scene is worth Rs 1 crore'

Tonight's episode of Chittod Ki Rani Padmini Ka Johur will show the beautiful queen Rani Padmini's wedding ceremony. Tejaswini Lonari, who plays the title character, looks splendid in her bridal finery, styled on the lines of Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's look in Jodhaa Akbar.

In fact, the TV show is also shot in the same sets as Ashutosh Gowariker's historical. It was art director Nitin Desai's idea to re-use the film sets for a TV show, as he could not bear to dismantle it. He is producing the show now.

"The skeleton and the basic things are the same but the sets have been modified according to the needs of the serial. So it's not entirely the Jodhaa Akbar set," Desai explains. "I don't like to repeat my creativity but keeping these sets idle is like keeping a white elephant -- the maintenance costs are very high. It's our studio creation and I don't think it's wrong to use it. It's heart-breaking to dismantle the sets that have been painstakingly created over a period of time. But when you see your new creation, it gives creative satisfaction."

'One cannot afford Neeta Lulla for these kinds of projects'

The look of the lead characters of this historical drama has been designed by designer Neeta Lulla. The look and styling bears a striking resemblance to Aishwarya Rai's in Jodhaa Akbar.

Talking about the costumes, Desai said, "Neeta is a good friend of mine and our colours palettes always match. We have worked in lot of films and have a successful combination. One cannot afford her for these kinds of projects. But it was really sweet of her to design for us. She has given rich, grand and elegant designs."

'We have used real jewellery on this show'

Desai said the estimated budget for the costumes is Rs 60 lakh. The wedding outfit is the most expensive costume they have used so far, at Rs 16 lakh.
"We have used real jewellery on this show, hired from PNG jewellers, Pune," Desai says. "I designed the jewellery and sent it to the jeweller. It was then made with their inputs. The jewellery meant for the wedding scene is worth Rs 1 crore."

As Padmini is decked up with such expensive accessories, Desai said they have gunmen guarding her during the shoot.

'People in Chittod worship Rani Padimini'

Desai, who has worked on television projects like Tamas, Discovery of India and Chanakya, said, "I always felt the urge to produce a television show. I was looking for a women-oriented show after I got good reviews for my regional television show Raja Shivaji Chatrapati."

Asked why he choose the story of Rani Padmini, he replied, "People in Chittod worship Rani Padmini. She was a complete woman known for her great beauty, as a warrior and for her sacrifices. I was always been fascinated with the culture, colours, food and hospitality of Rajasthan."

'I do a lot of research before working on projects'

Desai also loves the culture and architectural value of different centuries.

"I do a lot of research before working on projects. After doing Shivaji in Marathi, I was approached by different channels to do television shows. But Sony was the first one to approach me and I went with a couple of subjects. They asked me to do Rani Padmini because they could see my passion for the subject."

'Our television shows have the standards of an international film'

"Shivaji and Rani Padmini are passionate cinema on television done on a grand scale. We are shooting these television shows with four Red cameras to get the best quality, which is mostly used abroad for films and rarely used in India. Our television shows have the standards of international films," Desai said.

'I am producing many more shows for different channels'

There had been a lot of speculation regarding the upcoming soap on Zee TV, tentatively titled Rani Laxmibai. The latest development on the show is that it will be co-producer by Desai and the production house Contiloe Films.

"I am producing many more shows for different channels but it's too early to talk about it," said Desai.

Watch Chittod Ki Rani Padmini Ka Johur from Mondays to Thursdays at 8pm on Sony Entertainment Television.

Jenifer. thumbnail

When Rohit Bakshi bumped into Akshay Kumar!

Chhaya Toshniwal / DNA
Thursday, July 2, 2009 23:59 IST

Mumbai: Rohit Bakshi who is currently seen playing Rajkumar Rana Ratan Singh in Chittor Ki Rani Padmini Ka Johur on Sony TV has been regularly shooting at Karjat as the set is there and the producer of the show is none other than Nitin Desai who is known for magnanimous sets.
Recently Rohit bumped into Akshay Kumar

Recently Rohit bumped into his all-time favourite actor Akshay Kumar who was shooting at the same place for Vipul Shah's Action Replay.

Rohit says, "I am a great fan of Akshay Kumar's as he is a self-made man and is very focussed towards his career. Akshay was shooting for his movie Action Replay and we have a room to stay there.

Vipul Shah and the entire crew were shooting near the canteen, which is close to my room. Akshay was standing right behind me and I didn't recognise him quickly as he was dressed like an old man and talking to someone on the mobile. I went and said hello to him. I couldn't talk much to him as they were shooting but he made my day.

http://india.news2connect.com/FullNewsPage.php?Link=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.google.com%2Fnews%2Furl%3Ffd%3DR%26sa%3DT%26url%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.dnaindia.com%2Flifestyle%2Freport_when-rohit-bakshi-bumped-into-akshay-kumar_1270486%26usg%3DAFQjCNH1NDUeteoFct2fzU7hL9DfGxzjqA&PageTitle=When+Rohit+Bakshi+bumped+into+Akshay+Kumar%21+-+Daily+News+%26+Analysis
Edited by Jenifer. - 14 years ago