Frequent Posters

Jenifer. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 14 years ago
Rani Padmini Launch:

SBS 3rd June (starts towards the end)

Zoom TV: Jodha Akbar inspires Serial Chittod Ki Rani

SBS 7th June: On the sets of 'Chittod Ki Rani Padmini'

All the credit goes to the uploader themselves.
Jenifer. thumbnail

Sets, costumes and jewellery get increased attention

As much as Rs. 6 crores (Rs.60 million) was spent to create the sets for historical series "Chittod Ki Rani Padmini Ka Johur" (pictured above) and a Porsche car worth Rs. 17.5 crores (Rs.175 million) was used to shoot a scene for another daily soap - television producers don't mind loosening their purse strings to create opulent sets and the right ambience.

For "Chittod Ki Rani Padmini...", National Award-winning art director Nitin Chandrakant Desai said he paid great attention to detail while producing the serial and didn't want money to be a constraint.

"The show is set in a certain era. And it often becomes expensive to get the right look when you are doing period dramas - whether for TV or for films. I went ahead because I like doing everything in an extravagant manner," said Desai, who has used parts of the sets he had designed for Ashutosh Gowariker's epic drama "Jodhaa Akbar" for the show.

Apart from splurging on sets, Desai also spent Rs.25 million on costumes and jewellery for "Chittod Ki Rani Padmini...".

Sagar Pictures, the producers of the latest historical epic "Meera", also admit that they have taken utmost care of the smallest details. "Meera" narrates the story of the legendary princess who renounced the luxuries of royal life and became the greatest devotee of Lord Krishna.

"A lot of research and effort has gone into the designing of the costumes in 'Meera'. We undertook months of research for the show - right from the colours to the fabric to the embroidery, care has been taken to keep the authenticity of that era alive," Meenakshi Sagar of Sagar Pictures told IANS over phone from Mumbai.

"The jewellery was difficult to design as we didn't want to repeat anything done before; nor did we want to go overboard with the look. So almost all the pieces are exclusive and handmade," she added.

But Meenakshi didn't reveal the budget set aside for the sets erected in Baroda and only said it was "a lot".

Historicals apart, other producers are also spending generously on their shows.

"For some big shows, which have lavish sets, producers and channels are ready to shell out minimum Rs.10 million just on sets," said Waseem Sabir, who has directed serials like "Saat Phere" and "India Calling".

"At times 40 percent of the total budget is kept aside for sets, costumes and jewellery," he added.

Rajan Shahi, the man behind shows like STAR Plus' "Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai" and "Sapna Baabul Ka...Bidaai" as well as Colors' "Mata Pita Ke Charno Mein Swarg", admits to spending "much beyond what the channel provides (in terms of budget)" to work on his characters' looks and the story's presentation.

"I spend anywhere between 15 to 20 percent of my total budget on the looks and costumes of my characters. And I spend a lot of money on my show's presentation. For example, if the channel gives me Rs.100 for a scene, I would easily shell out Rs.35 to 40 for my presentation," said Shahi, who recently used a Rs.175-million Porsche car to shoot a scene for "Mata Pita Ke..."

But he stressed that it's vital to maintain a balance between simplicity and opulence to be able to connect with audiences.

According to Purnendu Shekhar, the writer of "Balika Vadhu", shows are getting grander by the day because "every channel needs a good-looking show".

To meet the demand, the makers are either shooting in a palace or in a palace-like house or sets with characters dressed in fine jewellery and attires.

For instance shows like Colors' "Balika Vadhu" and "Jai Shri Krishna", NDTV Imagine's "Bandini" and "Rakhi Ka Swayamvar" and STAR Plus' "Raja Ki Aayegi Baraat" - are either shot in a palace or old havelis.

"Every show needs to have an edge over one another and every channel needs at least one such show. It's very important to have something larger than life to draw in the audience. And channels are ready to pay for that," said Shekhar.

sattvik thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
All work and no play for Tejaswini Lonari

Newcomer Tejaswini Lonari has been working without any rest for her role in the period show, Chittod Ki Rani Padmini Ka Johar. We spoke to the actress as she took her first day off in four months:
"I'm on a one-day holiday, and I can't go even anywhere. The main reason for the holiday is to rehearse my next shot, so I really can't do much except rehearse my lines. One thing I can do is sleep, which I miss out on during shooting because our schedule often lasts for over 12 hours."

The actress is quite happy with the feedback she has been getting for her role. "Before the serial went on air I was quite tensed about whether audiences would appreciate me not. But my hard work has paid off. I'm very proud that people now know the small town of Yeola, and of my role as Princess Padmini."

Tejaswini is grateful to producer Nitin Desai, for giving her this break in the telly world. "I'm very happy that in these five months I have learnt so many things, like sword fighting, horse-riding and the Marwari language. Through this role I have grown up as a person."

We hope Tejaswini gets some more time off soon.

http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/July/News_20090728_141
sattvik thumbnail
Twist in Rani Padmini

Chittod Ki Rani Padmini Ka Johar, a serial set in medieval times that airs on Sony TV, will soon have the main villain, Aladdin Khilji (played by Mukesh Rishi), attack the village.

Tejaswini Lonari, who plays Rani Padmini, tells us about this: "Aladdin Khilji will attack Chittod not just to acquire Raja Ratan Singh's (Rohit Bakshi) kingdom, but also his beautiful wife, Rani Padmini, as he wants to marry her by any means. Viewers will see Rani Padmini intelligently deal with this situation. But I had to cry a lot, which is very difficult for me."

The actress also says, "It's an important twist in the lives of Rani Padmini and her husband Ratan Singh. From on this point on, her valour comes to the fore and everyone comes to know her history. I'm hoping audiences love this track."

The history of the story is like this:

Rani Padmini is the queen of Ratan Singh of Chittod. She is known for her bravery, sacrifice and her love for her husband and the province. Aladdin Khilji, the ruler of Delhi, comes to know of her beauty and wants her. He plays dirty games by becoming friends with Ratan Singh.

http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/July/News_20090728_143
Jenifer. thumbnail

Every woman is Rani Padmini: Tejaswini

TNN 21 July 2009, 12:00am IST

She dreamt of becoming an actress when she was barely six. At 19, Tejaswini Lonari has made her acting debut playing the courageous Rani Padmini,
Tejaswini Lonari
no less.

"I wasn't sure if I'd make it, but I guess I carried Rani Padmini's getup so well that I was selected," she says.
And managing the getup incidentally is a task in itself. "The costume and jewellery are very heavy. I have to wear them all the time. And due to the hectic shooting schedule, I haven't worn normal dresses for a long time," she laughs. This Maharashtrian mulgi has put in a lot of effort to get into the skin of the character. "I have done all the stunts without any body double. In fact, I trained in horse-riding and sword fighting for five months," she says.

Did all this make her feel like the real Rani Padmini? "I think every woman plays Rani Padmini at some point in her life. She was a strong woman and had tremendous mental strength. She fought for her rights. Even in today's world, women have to make sacrifices and safeguard their rights."
Tejaswini is here to stay, she says. Of course, convincing her family to let her pursue acting wasn't easy. "My father was against it. He wanted me to do an MBA and take up a good job. Well, I became an actress, but at the same time I also passed my final year exams with 83 per cent. Now I can do an MBA, too."

Happy with the way her career has taken off, she says, "The credit goes to my parents and, yes, I am also grateful to the deputy chief minister of Maharashtra, Chhagan Bhujbal, who's also representing my native place, Yeola, for giving me moral support and guidance."  
Edited by Jenifer. - 14 years ago
Jenifer. thumbnail
Shows that splurge
Sonali Joshi/Hill Road Media

Gone are the days when lavish sets and expensive costumes were only seen in big-budget Bollywood films, TV shows are splurging too on authenticity and grandeur. Indya takes a look:
Showing 1 of 5 images Previous    Next

Rani Padmini: The sets at Nitin Desai's studio in Karjat have a mahal with a lot of carvings and sculptures. The show also has beautiful clothes and exquisite jewellery, reminiscent of the setting in the Hindi film Jodhaa Akbar.

http://www.indya.com/gallery/gallery.aspx?aid=592
Jenifer. thumbnail
Rani Padmini ka rajya hua chowpat!

Niten Desai's most costly show on television, Chittod Ki Rani Padmini Ka Johur is all set to conclude in September. The show started with a bang, but it flopped in the TRP countdown.

As per the sources, "The show is not ending abruptly, but the creative team is now trying to wind-up the story as soon as possible. Rani Padmini failed to fetch the TRP's and thus it is concluding shortly. They all shot for their last episode on 2 August i.e. Sunday."

"There had been lots of money spent on the lavish sets and the whole attire of the show including the haveli's, costumes jewelry etc. The show was launched in competition to Balika Vadhu, but as we know rest is history," adds the source.

We tried contacting Tejaswini the lead of the show, but she was not available for any comments.

We also called up Niten Desai but all our efforts went in vain.

- Rachana Trivedi / Telly Cafe

http://tellycafe.sampurn.com/index.php?action=pg_view&id=1349&parentid=0
sattvik thumbnail
Rani Padmini to end or not?

Shooting for Rani Padmini has apparently been at a halt for four days, and there are rumours that the show may be ending.
Tejaswini, who plays the title role, says she is unaware of the developments. "I shot for the show a few days back, but I do not know whether that was our last day or not. I have been on holiday for some time now. I have been hearing rumours about the show ending, but those have been there for a long time. Right now, I'm completely clueless about what is happening."

She adds, "I shoot in the studio, and do not interact with the production people. I get my script only when I go on set, so I do not know what is happening in advance." The show's cast is currently in Mumbai, but will shoot the patchwork for some episodes in Karjat, where the show has been shot on the same sets as that of Jodhaa Akbar.

The show is being produced by art director Nitin Desai. Rohit Bakshi, who plays the prince, says, "I am in Mumbai now, but I'm going to Karjat tomorrow. As for its last day, I do not know anything about that. The production house will able to comment on it."

Rani Padmini was supposed to go on for at least 152 episodes, but it has been just two months since the show went on air. It is said to be going off air in early-September.

http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/August/News_20090806_30
Jenifer. thumbnail

Rani Padmini to end?

Posted by TellyTadka

Rumors have it that Chittod ki Rani Padmini may come to an end soon the coming month. The show has very low trp, even though the show is being shot in mumbai and the sets of Jodha Akbar filiming location. The leads Tejaswani and Rohit Bakshi have heard the rumors but not official confirmation is yet given. Once TellyTadka knows, we shall inform our audience.