Mira offered fifth Potter movie

Ashwirya Shetty thumbnail
Anniversary 20 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 20 years ago

Mira offered fifth Potter movie

NEW YORK: Filmmaker Mira Nair has been approached to direct the fifth Harry Potter picture, 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix', which is due for release in 2007.

The 'Monsoon Wedding' director says that she has read Steven Kloves' adaptation, but is yet to reach a final decision.

"I read it over the weekend and I'm still deciding," Nair said. "I'm not letting all this go to my head." But she admitted: "My son Zoharan's excited. I've seen all the Harry Potter movies with him."

Nair, 47, has won plaudits for her work on the films 'Salaam Bombay', 'Mississippi Masala' and 'Monsoon Wedding'. But her latest, most ambitious picture is already prompting mixed reviews.

The director's star-spangled adaptation of 'Vanity Fair' opens in the US this weekend, with Reese Witherspoon playing Becky Sharpe and James Purefoy, Bob Hoskins, Jim Broadbent and Romola Garai in supporting roles.

The first two Potter outings were directed by safe Hollywood hand Chris Columbus, while this year's 'Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban' was whipped into shape by Mexican film-maker Alfonso Cuaron.

The fourth film in the series, 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire', is currently shooting, with Brit Mike Newell in the director's chair.

Courtesy: The Times of India
Edited by Ashwirya Shetty - 20 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Morgoth thumbnail
Anniversary 20 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5

Thanks Ash.

They are changing directors like a pair of socks! I just hope that the main characters stay the same for all seven movies!

*Anjali* thumbnail
Anniversary 20 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
Yeah, they are. This last film had a much different style to it due to the new director. I just hope that she sticks to the story line more than the previous directors have done (especially the director of 'Azkaban')
Morgoth thumbnail
The director of "Azkaban" (Alfonso Cuaron) wanted to have little men dancing on the keys of the broken piano in the Shrieking Shack, but JK Rowling nixed the idea (THANKFULLY!)
*Anjali* thumbnail
what????????? why in the world would he do that?? that's awful. Do you know if he's directing Goblet too?
Morgoth thumbnail

Nope. This time it is Mike Newell (director of Four Weddings and a Funeral and Mona Lisa Smile)

Edited by MysticaMagic - 20 years ago
*Anjali* thumbnail
Goblet is a very important book (b/c it's the book in which Voldemort comes back in full body form), so I really hope this new director (Newell) doesn't mess things up. But obviously, he only wants to direct one of the HP films b/c they're already trying to find a director for Order of the Phoenix. I don't know if it's a good or bad thing, really.