Is it ok that the film ignores this bitter truth about Chamkila?

982283 thumbnail
Posted: 6 months ago

For those of you who do not speak punjabi. This is Chamkila's sister discussing how Chamkila use to beat Amarjot. He used to grab her by the neck. He used to rip her clothes. According to someone on reddit there is a video of Chamkila slapping Amarjot, at one of their concerts. I just wanted people's thoughts here because I am struggling with this.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ETBBWr2D10A

Edited by Grumpydwarf24 - 6 months ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

vishakha33 thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Haven't seen the film yet because I read about his abuse and the lyrics in the songs too. This was sad to watch and hear.

DivineAngel thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Fantasy Force

Oh no i thought it was a sweet love storysmiley44

982283 thumbnail

Originally posted by: vishakha33

Haven't seen the film yet because I read about his abuse and the lyrics in the songs too. This was sad to watch and hear.

The fact that she is laughing is not a good sign either. It shows that it was way too common in their world. When I first watched it, I was like how can you possibly describe something like this and laugh.

982283 thumbnail

Originally posted by: DivineAngel

Oh no i thought it was a sweet love storysmiley44

His other family among relatives reveal he married Amarjot to trap her with him. Every other female singer kept leaving him. It was his way of keeping a permanent singing partner. Also, she took home half of the payment. It was his greed. He wanted all the income to come to him. He kept her end of the pay too. She was singing for him for free. All the men musicians were getting paid. What a backward-thinking man! He also proposed the marriage initially. It was not Amarjot who proposed the marriage as the film shows. It seems like it was premeditated to get her trapped in a polygamous old-school marriage. When he died he had an 8-month-old daughter with his first wife Gurmail. And a 15-day-old son with Amarjot. So he was still spending time with both wives.

Edited by Grumpydwarf24 - 6 months ago
DivineAngel thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Fantasy Force

Originally posted by: Grumpydwarf24

His other family among relatives reveal he married Amarjot to trap her with him. Every other female singer kept leaving him. It was his way of keeping a permanent singing partner. Also, she took home half of the payment. It was his greed. He wanted all the income to come to him. He kept her end of the pay too. She was singing for him for free. All the men musicians were getting paid. What a backward-thinking man! He also proposed the marriage initially. It was not Amarjot who proposed the marriage as the film shows. It seems like it was premeditated to get her trapped in a polygamous old-school marriage. When he died he had an 8-month-old daughter with his first wife Gurmail. And a 15-day-old son with Amarjot. So he was still spending time with both wives.

Thats horrible.

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

This again shows that one can be a great, even outstanding and celebrated artist, but also a messed-up human being...

Edited by Clochette - 5 months ago
982283 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Clochette

This again shows that on can be a great, even outstanding and celebrated artist, but also a messed-up human being...

The film did show that to some extent. Just the fact that he deceives one woman to marry him and leaves his wife with a kid. BUT I still think they painted Chamkila to be a better person than he was.

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

There is the musician and there is the private man...I think, when one does a biopic about someone who is dead and can't object to something private written or shown about him/her, the focus should be more on the positive than on the negative.

Even when getting to know about the negative side, that should not take away from Chamkila's legacy.

sidnilove thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Chamkila was shown as flawed. His intentions behind marrying Amarjot were mentioned - he didn't want the Jodi to break. It was about money and popularity. He was a bigamist. And they showed him giving money to his first wife who had a little kid on her shoulder. He was an opportunist.

He wasn't whitewashed.

The main point of the movie was to show the double standards of people. How they used to diss Chamkila openly and enjoy his songs behind closed doors. It was about showing the systematic targeting of a singer who came from a lower caste and had the audacity to grow so big in the music world.