Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

423728 thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

May as well update on all the recently watched films. These past two months have been dedicated to rewatching all the depressing Bollywood films. I’m trying to assess which movie will make my cousin cry the most (she hasn’t watched many Bollywood movies). We’ve watched:

• Kal Ho Na Ho
  • Pardes
  • Devdas
  • Ghajini
  • Lootera
  • Tere Naam
  • Agneepath

Great movies. Suffice to say that the assessment has been a flop as I’ve cried more than everyone combined. She teared up for most of them and sobbed for KHNH. Too bad my sobbing overtook hers. She had to comfort me instead. Next on the list will be: Taare Zameen Par, Kyun Ki, Gangster, Humari Adhuri Kahani and Padmavat. She’s already watched Bajrangi Bhaijaan and K3G. Bring on the tears!

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

The Flight Attendant S2

The mystery in S2 is not as good as in S1. At points, the mystery is disjointed and contrived. Things fall in place miraculously.

That being said it does make for compelling watching. Cassie is a far more intriguing character in S2. There is a lot more depth in her character arc and personal growth. Her struggles with sobriety just add layers and layers of complexity to an already complex and messed up character. Surprisingly, a sober Cassie is a more unreliable narrator than an alcoholic Cassie. Kaley Cuoco is phenomenal as Cassie navigates grief, PTSD, alcoholism, and bad life choices.

The Menu

Damn! The Menu is one of the most scathing critiques of modern-day gastro culture.

The food and beverage service industry is one of the most toxic environments to work in. Both customers and employers are painfully rude and demanding. Most employees are underpaid or not paid at all. And when the restaurants try to charge more for it - customers balk.

The Menu presents an extremely dark social horror that unfolds when the service industry is pushed to the brink. It's a reminder to everyone to slow down and appreciate things. Stop blindly consuming and think upon what you have.

Ralph Fiennes is deliciously sinister as burnt out chef Slovik. But I think Nicholas Hoult steals the show (IMO) as Tyler who remains painfully pretentious even when faced with certain death. Anya Taylor-Joy is delightful as Margot who is unwittingly trapped in the murderous menu. the set and food plating is just so breathtakingly beautiful for something so sinister.

Kamala05 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 12 Thumbnail + 7

Calibre Netflix

What a film! It is gripping, haunting, and seat edge thriller.

The movie begins with Vaughn and Marcus, who have been friends since childhood, travel to a remote area of the Scottish Highlands for a hunting trip. What happens in the village is never even in their worst nightmares.

What happens after an unprecedented misdeed is the content of the movie.

I would definitely suggest this movie to those who like the art.

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Trial By Fire

Perhaps the worst fate that can befall anyone is when parents have to bury their children. Trial by Fire presents a somber tale about greed, criminal negligence, and corruption. Locking the doors, adding seats to narrow the aisle, illegally adding boxes and sections that block fire exists, failed PA systems, lack of fire extinguishers, and lack of safety protocol - all to be able to make more money - only in India. Over the course of seven episodes the show sheds light on the struggles of victims trying to get justice.

Personally, I found the narrative a bit slow-paced. I felt that many background narratives could have easily been trimmed. But the payoff is the investment in the characters.

Abhay Deol is such a good actor, it makes you wonder why he never made it big time. At least in the world of character actors, he's a force. Rajshri Deshpande was a revelation. I am in awe of how she silently conveys so many emotions. Her eyes have immense sadness but also determination. The way she sighs at every setback, perks up at every potential, and hunches her shoulders to get to work no matter how exhausted she is.

The final episode is a whirlwind gut punch. Everything that you have seen till now just culminates in a finale that has you on the edge.

---

Dang. Transformers blowing up is no joke. When the transformer blows up during the show, I was reminded of the Summer of 2019 when a transformer blew up by me. I live 1500 feet from this explosion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjq7diPltU8

I high-tailed it with my cats to the far west of town. There were two transformer explosions. One by me and one by a campus dorm. It was during a massive heatwave and the power grid was overloaded. Fortunately, they were both put out quickly before it spread. No one was hurt that day.

Someone on the other side of the lake captured the two fires burning. The one on the right is mine.

https://twitter.com/markgehring/status/1152202065806024704?s=20&t=GEsphr6kpe5FKPjm5ERfgw

The transformer that blew up in the show was much smaller than both the transformers that blew up in Madison. It definitely took gross negligence, lack of safety protocols like fire extinguishers, and slow response times (fire engines were not called for an hour) to cause the disaster. If a transformer blows up - call the fire brigade. Had the fire department had as slow a response time to these fires as they did in the Utsav fire - it would have spread and buildings in my neighborhood and multiple campus dorms would have burned down.

Guddu.Pandit thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5

Sarcastic Chatterbox

Kaapa

What a film, Brilliant. The style in which it is shown is mind blowing. The Director has very clear cut vision as to show a Gangster film in a unique way. Kotta Madhu played by Prithviraj is tailor made role for him. I saw Gold earlier, same guy with such simple role & this film, amazing to watch.

I didn't like the climax, it was so good until they decide to kill the hero, I mean why? Overall, a positive experience.

Must watch it - 4/5.

capricornrcks thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Guddu.Pandit

Kaapa

What a film, Brilliant. The style in which it is shown is mind blowing. The Director has very clear cut vision as to show a Gangster film in a unique way. Kotta Madhu played by Prithviraj is tailor made role for him. I saw Gold earlier, same guy with such simple role & this film, amazing to watch.

I didn't like the climax, it was so good until they decide to kill the hero, I mean why? Overall, a positive experience.

Must watch it - 4/5.

You've made me curious. The director Shaji Kailas is known for his alpha hero glorification with grand dialoguebazi, passive female characters and visually beautiful action sequences. He certainly hadn't let go of his trademark style from the 2000s and is one of the old stalwarts before the Age of New Generation Malayalam cinema. I haven't seen Kappa. I'm speaking from the experience of watching Kaduva his previous outing with Prithviraj. I find his films very superficial and one-time-watch. Is Kappa really better?

Edited by capricornrcks - 1 years ago
capricornrcks thumbnail

Recently watched Dhanush's gangster flick Pudupettai on Amazon. Realistic, visceral, stylish and emotional at the same time. How an 18 year old runaway becomes one of the dreaded criminal-politicians in Chennai. As one character says "Criminals are not born. They are made".

Jazzkapur thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: capricornrcks

Recently watched Dhanush's gangster flick Pudupettai on Amazon. Realistic, visceral, stylish and emotional at the same time. How an 18 year old runaway becomes one of the dreaded criminal-politicians in Chennai. As one character says "Criminals are not born. They are made".

can u plz help me? Plz tell me what should I do so that i don't get to see a certain forum member's posts? Coz even after blocking that person, her posts r visible to me

Guddu.Pandit thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5

Sarcastic Chatterbox

Originally posted by: capricornrcks

You've made me curious. The director Shaji Kailas is known for his alpha hero glorification with grand dialoguebazi, passive female characters and visually beautiful action sequences. He certainly hadn't let go of his trademark style from the 2000s and is one of the old stalwarts before the Age of New Generation Malayalam cinema. I haven't seen Kappa. I'm speaking from the experience of watching Kaduva his previous outing with Prithviraj. I find his films very superficial and one-time-watch. Is Kappa really better?

I haven't seen that director's earlier film. I've seen a few Prathviraj movies, and this one is fantastic.

capricornrcks thumbnail

Originally posted by: Jazzkapur

can u plz help me? Plz tell me what should I do so that i don't get to see a certain forum member's posts? Coz even after blocking that person, her posts r visible to me

Sorry. No clue. I usually ignore posts which I don't like.