Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 7 months ago

Murder Mubarak

Homi Adajania attempts to create a Knives Out meets Agatha Christie kind of murder mystery. All the right elements are there, but it falters with execution. There are too many characters and plot elements. Very few of them stand out and make a mark. The motivations for murder are watery, so you never even want to guess who could have done it. There are entertaining elements, though. With some finesse, editing, and sharper storytelling, this could be a much better film. Maybe ACP Bhavani well get a tighter sequel.

Most importantly, Justice for Prince 'Hariya' Harry. His plotline left me most disgusted and infuriated. I was prepared to love the film for him but now I have to curse the film for him.

gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8

Merry Christmas

Oh how I wanted to like this film. Sriram Raghavan attempts another Andhadhun but it fails to match up for various reasons. The first half is very slow and the mystery is obvious about halfway through.

Vijay is good, Katrina does the best to her abilities. Sanjay Kapoor is good, Vinay Pathak is wasted. Radhika Apte lights up the screen in her special appearance.

Autumnn thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

People Like Us

On Prime

Music by A R Rahman

Cast: Chris Pine, Elizabeth Banks, Olivia Wilde and Michelle Pfeiffer

Movie is Sweet, touching, good feeling like plot. Guy finds out he has a step sister after his father's death and he needs to give money to her young son as per his dad's wishes. Movie is about the process. Nice watch.

rckRadhe thumbnail
ICC T20 CWC 2024 Participants 0 Thumbnail ICC T20 CWC 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail + 8

- Ananya's 'Kho Gaye Hum Kahan'

And

- Dune 2

Arreyaar thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Atrangi re Season 2 Participant 0 Thumbnail + 7

Critique Crusaders

Article 370 and Shaitaan recently.

DanceUntilWeDie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Madgaon Express

As expected, it was super fun. I'm glad Excel backed it cos they know a thing or two about buddy films. After a long time, comedy...loved everyone in the film.

My boy Avinash deserves more theatre releases

Animal

Watch Animal, they said. You cannot judge a movie without watching it. I read four books and watched five movies to decisively conclude that Twilight was a stain on the genre of fantasy fiction and that having the word ostentatious in your dictionary does not make you a great storyteller. I should be able to endure 201 minutes of Animal, right?

I did, and I can safely say that I have been unfair to Twilight and Stephanie Meyer. In comparison, Twilight is a Shakespearean masterpiece of fine storytelling.

Casting aside all considerations of morality or ethics and evaluating the movie purely for cinema and storytelling, the movie has the narrative structure of wet paper. Not wet cardboard, but wet paper.

The strained and fraught father-son relationship should make for compelling and fantastic storytelling. Harry Chapin wrote a song capturing the tragic cycle. The biggest space opera of all time, Star Wars, is centered around a hero with daddy issues. The latest critical darling, The Iron Claw, shows a real-life tragedy caused by bad fathers. So, on paper, an audacious director creating a story based on a time-tested human emotion should be something to be excited about.

But a few slick action sequences and an overconfident hero with a swagger do not make a good movie. Firstly, there is no narrative arc in the movie. None of the characters experience any depth or growth. There is no fall from grace, redemption, hero's journey, full circle moment, or even a coherent three-act structure. They are all a monochromatic one-note flatline from beginning to end. Boring.

The non-linear narrative adds zero interest or value. To quote myself, this movie has more incoherent time travel than Doc's DeLorean on the fritz. Some of the timeline cuts are the most jarring and abrupt ever. What is this amateur hour at a middle school film class?

Moreover, the movie is stuffed with scenes that add no value to the narrative but simply fill it with excessive length and bloat. Gitanjali is as essential to the film as Arwen is to Lord of the Rings. A minor character from the appendices is forced into a major narrative role to satisfy the audience's penchant for romances. It is a distraction from fleshing out the protagonist and his demons. Some of the sequences, like meeting the parents, the honeymoon, the prayer, the church sequence, the naked celebration, the extramarital seduction, the antagonist's faith, and the antagonist's hedonism, add absolutely nothing to the plot and are merely there to be edgy for the point of being edgy. No different from a petulant emo teen rebelling against their parents.

The movie demands the most extreme suspension of disbelief. The entire plot of protecting the father is flaccid. There is no narrative tension in unraveling the threads of motivation. There are actually no twists revealed because everything is not just foreshadowed but extrapolated in the open. The protagonist is always one step ahead of the antagonist without any explanations of how or why.

How this film became the biggest hit of 2023 will always leave me scratching my head. The movie is like the director's fantasy wet dream rather than a movie, and people are lapping it up. But then I didn't get why Twilight was such a big hit, either. I've always conceded that Stephanie Meyer was a genius for knowing the untapped market of the horny yet naive teenage girl who wants to have her cake and eat it too - but make it cinematic. In that sense, I have to concede that Vanga is also a genius for knowing an untapped market.......of what I am still trying to figure out - women with a kink for being dominated? men who nostalgically miss the simple way of life before Prometheus and Pandora ruined it all?

Sometimes, you can judge a book by its cover. Sometimes, that book is a Mills and Boon novel where the cover tells you exactly what to expect inside and pretty much tells you the story. I was right with Animal. It's that same genre where the trailer tells you exactly what to expect. I don't read books trashed on Goodreads - why did I watch this movie? Only I am to blame for the lost 201 minutes of my life.

Posted: 6 months ago

My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3

Imagine that everyone in your hometown moved away for better prospects, leaving behind a ghost town. That is what Toula and her family discover when they go back to her father's village for a reunion. The reunion is a ruse by the Mayor in a desperate effort to revive the town. I was filled with dread at the prospect.

But the family makes the most of it and embarks on a journey of discovering their roots. They find a new family and new friends. They rediscover themselves and each other along the way. And they indulge in some Swades-like efforts to make the town better.

At the end of the movie, the Mayor suggests that the abandoned houses of the village could serve as homes for homeless migrants. All of a sudden, I was filled with hope. We're all just passing through the earth. Someday or the other, we will leave and make room for someone else. If we kept things as they are, we would all still be living in caves, wearing tree bark, and hunting with clubs.

The Big Fat Greek Wedding series is like a hug and a comforting bowl of soup. It is about embracing one's culture and being proud of one's roots. But culture is always evolving, and we mustn't ever let xenophobia get in the way.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

I saw Fruitvale Station. A nice touching film. 7/10

I saw 2005 The Amityville Horror. It was like 5/10

Phir_Mohabbat thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 12 Thumbnail + 8

animal on sony and dad watching it

oh lordsmiley11