Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Autumnn thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 8 months ago

Catch Me If You Can

Brilliant movie based on true story. It's on Netflix.

Leo and Tom Hanks along with many well known personalities from Hollywood.

Edge of the seat thrilling ride. All round fantastic acting.

_symphony thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7

Animal - Annoying and a very lame movie. Kind of cartoonish in parts. Left it midway.It’s so non substantial because the film glorifies a man and his traits but those traits are so trivial and useless they have nothing to be glorified. Aise badtameez ladke to India ki har sadak pe ghum rahe hain. Who have no social ethics or civic sense. What’s so different or likeable. Rather it’s annoying to watch a movie on them, 🤣

Fighter-Just good aesthetics. Loose script and poor execution.

Ghoomer - An engaging watch but the story is morally flawed.

Hi Papa - Sweet film but has more feels of a TV serial with a vampish mother of the heroine. Mrunal and the lead hero though are brilliant actors & can engage the audience even in a run of the mill script and so is the kid, the little Kiara who got famous after her video with Sid.

Mubarakan - Unexpectedly enjoyable and a good comedy. A nice one time watch if you wanna enjoy a mindless family romcom.

Edited by _symphony - 8 months ago
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

My Neighbor Totoro

My third Miyazaki film. While Castle in the Sky and Nausicaa are based on dystopian futures with a bleak outlook on humanity, My Neighbor Totoro is set in an idyllic past. With two children as protagonists, the story is one of whimsy and wonder.

Satsuki and Mei are two little girls who move into a house in a remote village with their father. Their mother is recovering from a long-term illness in a hospital nearby. The two girls, with their vivid imaginations, discover the house full of spirits like the soot gremlins. Younger and imaginative Mei eventually discovers the titular Totoro—another giant spirit who lives in the camphor tree next door. Satsuki, who doesn't believe Mei at first, eventually meets Totoro in the rain.

The story follows the young girls coping with being away from their mother and how Totoro helps them along the way. It is just a cute heartwarming story about innocence and imagination as a child. And it features beloved iconic animated creations like the Catbus.

The Marvels

There is a huge problem in the MCU. There is an extreme oversaturation of superhero movies. We are all fatigued with superhero movies. There is a new show or movie every few months, and they barely stand out.

But there have been a few good ones that stand out. Wakanda Forever, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3. and Spiderman No Way Home have been the best, in my opinion. These movies succeeded because they tapped into relatable human emotions. Wakanda Forever focused on grief and loss. Guardians 3 builds on trauma and friendship. No Way Home was the weakest of the three, but it tapped into nostalgia brilliantly.

That is why it baffles me so much when movies have such ripe fodder for the emotional connection but choose to ignore it. The Marvels ignores the elephant in the room - Monica Rambeu's sense of abandonment and grief. Carol Danvers told Monica that she would return in a flash. But Carol never did. Monica grew up waiting for Carol to show up. She loses her mother during her blip and doesn't have any family to grieve with. There are so many complex emotions to unpack here, but instead, the entire trauma about being abandoned by a parent (ok, let's call a spade a spade) is addressed in one simple conversation.

Speaking of that, Carol's reputation as "the Annihilator" and guilt over it is another elephant in the room. Let's face it, Carol almost committed Kree genocide. It may be unintentional, but there is more to unpack there. It gives a lot more context to Dar-Benn's revenge. Perhaps centering on Dar-Benn's trauma and suffering due to Carol's actions would have made a more compelling villain.

So instead of a meaningful story of mistakes, regrets, and amendments to truly realize what it means to be a superhero or as Spiderman would say to discover 'great power comes with great responsibility' we get another run of the mill superhero movie. Oh, cool, they switch places when they use their powers. Oh wow, they learn to manage it in a five-minute montage.

MCU is really doing their most powerful hero dirty.

At least the saving grace is Mother Goose and her brood. Can Goose get her own movie?

Life_Is_Dutiful thumbnail

Comedy Crew

Dunki

Watched this movie for the second time yesterday. All I want to say is Rajkumar Hirani was so excited to work with srk that he didn't focus much on the script. The message of the movie should have been something else but instead the message became something else. Instead of focusing on illegal immigration I feel Hirani should have focused more on lack of awareness in the 1990s on various valid and legal procedures to obtain a visa. The movie said that poor people are discriminated because they don't have enough money to pay the visa charges. I don't think that's discrimination. It will obviously be expensive because people have to migrate from one country to another. Nobody will grant poor people visa for free. This is the wrong message the movie conveyed.

Instead they could have shown that Sukhi was not made aware of tourist visa procedures. He was only told about student visa and in the 90s there was no google/internet to find out all information easily. Similarly the others in the group were also not aware of many other ways to get a visa. They showed the pain, the hardships people had to face while taking the dunki route and also how their struggles never ended even after moving to England but the dialogues given to Hardy during Sukhi's funeral and in the UK court were dumb and idiotic and those dialogues spoiled the entire movie for me otherwise Hardy was one of the best characters and best roles of srk.

priya185 thumbnail

Comedy Crew

Anyone but you- nice feel good romcom. Loved their first meet, drowning scene, proposal, dance, singing. I recommend this but it's not for kids. After a long time I saw a nice romcom.

No hard feelings- Jennifer's acting is great the Andrew is also good. The skinny dipping scene is bad ass. The Maddie on hood scene was comical. I don't think she should have sold her her house

Maroonporsche thumbnail
Posted: 7 months ago
liberiangirl thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Dunki - boring!

Neru (Malayalam): Awesome movie. Must watch. Great performances by everyone.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Strays

Will Ferrell and Jamie Foxx come together for a filthy, raunchy, and R-rated comedy. It takes the premise of a cute talking dogs film that would usually be perceived as kid-friendly and turns it upside down to create an adult version full of swearing, sex jokes, and innuendo. But under the surface of the edgy veneer is a heartwarming story about man's best friend.

Doug is an irresponsible and abusive dog owner. He neglects and mistreats his dog, Reggie. But Reggie, as many dogs are, is unconditionally loyal and loving. He misinterprets Doug's attempts at abandoning him as a game.

However, Doug finally manages to drop Reggie in the heart of a city over three hours away. It tests Reggie's homing skills and puts him in touch with other dogs. They teach him the ways of being stray and drop some bitter truths. Together, they embark on a journey to teach Doug a lesson.

This is a dumb, gross movie. But I teared up so many times. I cried every time Reggie was emotionally abused or every time humans and dogs formed a bond.

---

When I was a toddler, our family cat scratched me across the face. My mom told me I brought it upon myself by harassing the cat and that it should be a lesson for me to be kind and respect personal space. It was an eye-opening lesson about boundaries and that loving does not mean you can roughhouse or annoy. Cats and cat families are like that.

Unlike dogs, who tolerate bullshit from adults and kids alike, everyone knows that cats take no shit from anyone. Cats will not think twice about hissing and scratching.

I personally love dogs and cats. Who can resist the unconditional love a dog gives? But I will always be a cat evangelist. Get a cat, especially if you love dogs. Teach your kids to behave around a cat. The time and effort it takes to bond with a cat and the harsh lessons about boundaries they will teach will make you a better dog owner. As a cat person, I know not to take dogs for granted. I know that even if they tolerate it - somethings irritate, annoy, or bother. Cats will train you to be better humans.