Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

95027 thumbnail
Posted: 8 months ago

I just watched fast and furious again….

It’s such a fascinating movie franchise. Aur dialogues ka to kya heen bolu. It even reminds me of me aur mera pragat hona. Aur kya Kya hoga …I will post more after I see them all again. smiley40

Ek common theme I really love about this series of movies is ..concept of family (one country smiley27 One love smiley27One people) and good conquering evil.

Yup. That’s right smiley16

Jai Shree Ram smiley27

Edited by KJasoosChulbulP - 8 months ago
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Dickinson

Although I watched S1 long ago, I am going to summarize all three seasons in one post as they build upon each other.

Inspired by Emily Dickinson's poems, Dickinson is Apple TV's most whimsical, inventive, and earnest rendition of historical fiction. The humorous approach that uses modern music and parlance against a narrative set in the 1800's makes the drama engaging and relatable.

Another incredible and relatable aspect of the show is how it deals with relationship complexities we presume to be just "modern" problems - like extramarital affairs and suppressing homosexuality.

Set in a patriarchal era, it could have easily presented men as villains who control women. But Dickinson gives them a remarkable amount of depth and humanity. They are products of their time, grappling with the old ways and a changing world.

For example, Austin could have been just that asshole brother who marries Sue despite knowing Emily loves her. But his love for Sue is genuine and earnest as well. He knows Emily's deep fondness for Sue and supports it while not fully wrapping his head around it.

On the one hand, he is a disappointing man who is always a bit of a doofus. He carelessly spends the family fortune. He gets fooled into buying a fake painting. He is always the oblivious fool. But on the other hand, he is someone with a big heart, risking everything to do the right thing. He lets Henry use his barn for his gathering of black people. He funds Henry's abolitionist paper, buys them a printing press, and even funds John Brown's raid on Harper's family.

On the one hand, he spirals to become a drunk womanizer who openly flaunts his extramarital affair. But on the other hand, you see him betrayed and broken by his wife's infidelity and lack of father's support. And most importantly, no matter what, he is there for his sisters and his wife - even though he considers divorcing her at a point.

Even Edward Dickinson, the stoic patriarch, has his redeeming qualities. On one hand, he's the quintessential aloof father who withholds affections and affirmations from his children. He's a traditional patriarch who believes women are property that must be inherited and cared for by men. And quite frankly, he can be an asshole. But beyond the tough exterior is a softness. Despite his criticisms, he is indulging and forgiving of Austin. He's especially partial to his two daughters. Otherwise, back in the day, it would be unheard of for a man to have not one but two daughters who remained fiercely independent and never married.

The two protagonists are not completely sympathetic either. Of course, there is the elephant in the room - they were two women deeply in love but could never live happily ever after because of the times they lived in. But at the same time, they could be deeply selfish and toxic to each other and those around them. Sue's emotions for Emily completely overpower her, and she completely disregards Austin's feelings when she has an affair with Samuel Bowles in order to get over Emily. The worst is when Sue uses patriarchal garbage to deny Austin his desire to be a more present and no traditional father.

Emily is often so self-centered and self-obsessed with her writing that she tends to shut out and disregard everyone around her. She is always oblivious to what her mother, her sister Lavinia, or even Sue are going through. She takes Sue for granted and doesn't think twice before ignoring a postpartum Sue. Her worst transgressions are when she takes her poems and aspirations to be more important than the emotions of Betty, a black woman.

Despite being three short seasons of ten episodes each, Dickinson also gives side characters a chance to shine. Through the three seasons, Lavinia's arc comes to terms with her own unconventional sexual desires and dislike for monogamy. Their mother, Emily Norcross Dickinson, initially comes across as a traditional housewife who exalts domesticity for women. But her veneer of being a perfect housewife fades away to reveal regrets for marrying young and being tired of domesticity.

Most importantly, the show does not exist in a vacuum. It acknowledges slavery and the Civil War, often allowing its black characters to have a voice and take over entire episodes and story arcs. Some of the Civil War episodes especially do a brilliant job of calling out white saviors as they showcase the poor conditions of the Gullah Geechee slaves who want to fight against the Confederacy. It also draws a remarkable distinction between the Union's war and the freed slaves's war.

My favorite past about Dickinson are the guest stars - Wiz Khalifa as Death, Ziwe as Sojourner Truth, Zosia Mamet as Louisa May Alcott, Billy Eichner as Walt Whitman, Nick Kroll as Edgar Allan Poe, Chloe Fineman as Sylvia Plath, John Mulaney as Henry David Thoreau, and Timothy Simons as Frederick Law Olmsted.

Season 1

Based on Emily's earliest poems dedicated to Sue, Season One introduces Emily and Sue as idyllic and carefree young girls in love. But over time, societal realities start closing in on them. As Emily gets older, her family chides her to stop her childish ways. Sue is a poor orphan who feels pressure to marry a man who can provide financially for her. The season arcs from young love and courtship to heartbreak as Sue marries Emily's brother, Austin.

Season 2

In the period after Sue and Austin's marriage, Emily falls into depression and does not write as much. Season two uses a sparse few poems to cover a toxic and turbulent time in their relationship. Sue and Emily are essentially broken up for most of the season. Most of the season is the catastrophic outcomes of two lovers separated and reacting in toxic ways. It is a tempestuous period that causes Emily, Sue, and Austin great pain.

Season 3

The Civil War was Emily Dickinson's most prolific period. She expanded her range of writing, not just romantic odes to Sue but also about war, suffering, and the meaning of life. While Emily and Sue are back together, their relationship is not as idyllic as it was when they were young. Sue is a mother now, something that Emily struggles to accept and respect. Emily is inspired to make a difference in the war with poetry, but Sue struggles with desiring more affection. Then there is Austin, who is on a downward spiral, given last season's events, but seeks a path to redemption. One of the most poignant episodes is a time travel episode to the future where Sylvia Plath foreshadows the future Emily Dickinson and the world would know.

---

Taylor Swift's album Evermore was announced on December 10, Emily Dickinson's birthday. The name 'Evermore' is believed to be inspired by Sue — Forevermore, one of Emily's romantic poems dedicated to Sue. Many people believe the song 'Ivy' was inspired by Emily and Sue's love affair and is sung from Sue's perspective. It's perfection when the show finally infuses the song in Season 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5cTUY2Il5s

MiVida_Messi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Finished re-watching The Vampire Diaries for the 4th time, and I realized how much I hated Damon and Elena, neither of their characters had any arc or anything to offer post season 4.

Nina Dobrev is so awesome as Katherine and equally unbeatable Elena and it’s unbelievable how the same actress played both characters and got the zest right. How since 1864 ever since Katherine saw Stefan, and their last shot together before they died looked so incredibly epic and cinematic that it seemed like what started with them ended with their death.

Klaus remains one of the best characters and one of my favorite scenes ever was when he compels Stefan to feed on Elena but he resists and Klaus reminds this in future. Also the moment when Klaus tells Caroline that he loves her smiley27

Silas and Amara’s unrequited love and how he returns back to reset the doppelgänger universe was another savior. Shall I mention Paul Wesley is an amazing actor, man he played Stefan and Ripper Stefan so bloody different and good, on top of that he played the unhinged Silas so so well, there wasn’t a dull moment. Damnit him and Nina stole the show for me.

The climax made me cry every single time , what started with Stefan writing in his journal about the olive skin girl Katherine and finding Elena his ‘epic love’ to what ended with him dying with Katherine for saving Elena and Damon’s happiness. Everything came to a full circle. He probably was the best written and performed character in the show besides Kat Graham’s Bonnie.

I always wonder if Katherine wouldn’t leave Stefan with useless Damon, maybe they’de be the hottest vampires for an eternity having their own love kingdom away from cheater Elena and Useless Damon.

priya185 thumbnail

Comedy Crew

Fighter review

I loved the movie. I think they showcased Hrithik very well, playing his strengths body dancing romance and action. I liked Deepika Hrithik jodi they look awesome and refreshing together.

Suspenseful and Aesthetic movie I loved the locations and fighting sequences.

Azhar akhtar is the villain a terrorist.

Army bomb blast on pulawama.

Aurora_77 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Melody Maniacs

Darlings- Didn't like it much. Was unable to connect with alia's portrayal of a woman going through domestic violence. I feel she wasn't very convincing. The kissing scene between shefali and that actor was unnecessary.

Aurora_77 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Melody Maniacs

Originally posted by: ZanduBalm

Has anyone seen 12th fail? How is it?

I've watched it. Very inspiring movie. It's based on the real life journey of a young man coming from a humble background who aspires to be a civil servant. The struggles and failures have been depicted beautifully. The first 20 mins feels a bit slow but the rest of the movie is amazing. smiley1

MaebyFunke thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Anatomy of a fall

Okay first of all what is with this new trend of advertising something else and the end product being something else for movies off late? This was called a Thriller/Suspense/Mystery and it's anything but that. You get duped and think that a big twist will land any moment but it doesn't come. I think filmmakers and mostly the marketing team should be honest with what kind of movie they have made. Because marketing tactics like this would only underwhelm the overall response to the movie. This felt like a character study of the husband and wife. That aside, great acting. Infact, the acting is what sells this completely. The kid playing Daniel is phenomenal. You see his dilemma and the back and forth he goes through. The breakdown scene was exceptionally done.

I don't think there's any sort of open-ended ending. It is as it seems. The protagonist was of course, Daniel. Not the mother, father, or the lawyer.

MaebyFunke thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Saw a bunch of other movies

Cat Person

So this is based on a short story that was circulated on Twitter some years ago. It starts out great, you really feel Margot's fear and general paranoia of being alone with a man she barely knows. That moment when she's halfway into the act but doesn't want to go on, but is scared and hesitant to speak her mind and just say no out of fear of what he might do and starts rationalising everything she sees, really comes across. It all sets out perfectly, you see that, both Robert and Margot are at fault at various points. The actual short story apparently ends when Robert berates Margot in the movie, and is...well, an entitled man (worse, he is a film bro). That is where the problem starts. The director completely goes off and effs up the entire third act. It doesn't even make any sense. The character motivations are all off. It's a mess. This is a 2/5, what could have been a 4/5, if done right.

Past Lives

I LOVED it. I don't understand the criticism for this everywhere. It was never set out to be a romance, I'd say it's more coming of age. I feel people were generally disappointed because they thought it would be some great romance, but instead found it rooted and well, very realistic. It would have never made sense for Nora to go with Hae Sung. It was never meant to be. They are fundamentally very different people with different motivations and lives, even if they started with the same life as kids. Nora explains it well when she says how Korean Hae Sung is. That scene of her speaking to her husband about her impression of meeting adult Hae Sung for the first time really sums it up.

The acting is phenomenal. Ooof. So good. The awkwardness, the regret, grief, all very well portrayed. Did Teo Yoo earn a nomination at Oscars? Because, he absolutely killed it. I had some difficulty seeing Greta Lee as a early 20s girl, because the 40s were showing on her face.

May December

I'm shocked to learn that this was based on a real event...and they were married and it went on? What fked up reality is this? I'd actually rate this higher than Anatomy of a fall, Barbie and some other movies I'd seen last year. It's criminal that Charles Melton did not win a nomination. Not even a Golden Globe.

Fair Play

It's an okay movie. Nothing great; with some good acting moments sprinkled here and there. I really thought the actor playing Luke would bust a nerve during the screaming match in the movie. I'd really like to see this remade in Bollywood with some good performers. I think it's an important subject and really showcases how gaslighting works in relationships. It's a gaslighting bible.

Dumb Money

Terrible. You make a movie on the biggest F U that the public had given to the Wallstreet and this is what you come up with? There needn't even be a script, because the whole Gamestop event was so surreal and intriguing that that itself would write its own script. Lost opportunity. Hated it. What was Pete Davidson even there for? You could have completely cut his role and it wouldn't have made any difference. Also I'm sick of watching America Ferrera in everything. No more.

Blackberry

This was unexpectedly funny. Could have been better though. Nothing to write home about. The acting could definitely have been better.

Edited by MaebyFunke - 8 months ago