Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Autumnn thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 10 months ago

Jhimma 2

Entertaining Comedy movie.

Not much detailed connection to Jhimma 1 story wise though group remains same +/- couple ppl.

First half is full of comedy and very enjoyable. All actors have acted effortlessly. Was surprised to see Rinku of Sairat fame in it though pleasantly a good new addition to the group.

Jhimma2 is definitely more Entertaining than Jhimma but both are good movies.

Marathi movies are really good comedy wise. Good original jokes more than hindi movies. Hindi movies lack good movies in comedy genre.

Movie is with subtitles.

791198 thumbnail

Drishyam 2.

Loved it! I’m not sure why I waited so long to watch it. Best part was I didn’t even know Akshay Khanna was in this. Was pleasantly shocked when he appeared on the screen. I am always amazed by how he subtly changes facial expressions with each emotion. I wish he acted in more movies!! Such a fine actor!

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Family Switch

Another silly, goofy, cheesy Christmas movie. I did have a few good laughs. Although some moments were awkward. But what I cannot get over is the fact that a family could destroy a multimillion-dollar telescope and not face any consequences for it.

MostlyHarmIess thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

His Dark Materials S1

Phil Pullman's Northern Light's book series is one of the deepest and most philosophical young adult novels. The narrative explores complex themes like theology, particle physics, and beyond. The series is a scathing critique of organized religion, specifically the concepts of sin and salvation.

In 2007, capitalizing on the fantasy fiction wave led by Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, they tried to make a movie version of the Golden Compass, but failed miserably. The complex themes being diluted in a rushed cinematic story.

But adapted for television in the episodic format the book plays out in a much more compelling manner. They do take liberties with content bringing in characters from the second book into the first season. But it works from a timeline and narrative perspective.

The series has a stellar cast of actors and voice actors, but Dafne Keene who plays Lyra is the highlight. So young, talented, and underrated. Makes me wish that they were still making that X-23 movie.

Reminds me I never got around to S2 smiley36

His Dark Materials S2

After Lord Asriel's betrayal, Lyra follows him through the portal he has opened and finds herself in Cittàgazze. Here, she meets Will Parry, who has entered through a portal he found in his world (our world).

Most of the season shuttles between Cittàgazze and Oxford as Lyra tries to understand the meaning and nature of dust while Will seeks his long-lost father. In other parallel plots, Lee Scoresby searches for and finds a Shaman who could help Lyra, Witches enter the portal, and Ruta Skadi searches for Asriel while Serafina Pekkala tries to find Lyra, Lord Boreal tries to use Lyra and Will to obtain deadly treasures, Will becomes the bearer of a mystical knife, and Mrs. Coulter and the Magisterium try to find Lyra.

Narratives can begin to falter when there are too many plot threads. Season one was pretty straightforward, with Gyptians and Lyra seeking children kidnapped by the Gobblers, while Will Parry was introduced in another world. Season two provides a narrative challenge, and the series handles it with finesse. By introducing Will in Season One, they are able to seamlessly carry forward the narrative without spending too much time on his backstory. The best triumph of the makers is how they keep the narrative fluid and well-connected. There is world-building but they don't focus on CGI at the expense of narrative.

While season one belonged to Dafne Keene as Lyra, Season two belongs to Ruth Wilson as Mrs.Coulter. The way she vacillates between icy and nurturing, villainous and vulnerable, is fascinating. She is one of the most calculating and conniving characters who is not quite a villain.

Christmas, As Usual

I expected this to be a cute, fun holiday movie about a culture clash. For the most part it is. But it unfolds disappointingly. Thea doesn't prepare Jashan for Norweigian Christmas traditions. But Jashan, too, doesn't show any curiosity or interest in learning.

Granted, some of Jashan's missteps are unintentional and naive. But he approaches everything with such skepticism and incredulity it feels insulting. Desis have some customs and traditions that seem quirky and illogical to the foreign eye. So I don't get why Jashan is so judgmental about Thea's obsession with traditions and doesn't have any empathy for her reliving fond memories with her deceased father.

Thea isn't the best fiance, not telling her mom about the engagement. But Jashan's drunk outburst in the end was out of line (despite the racist spice brands). I think he should have apologized to Thea first. But oh well, I think love is blind and cross-cultural relations are complicated.

bangtanARMY thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Don't judge me but I liked Gadar 2. Tbf I fast-forwarded all the dishoom and patriotic dialogues.But the music.... man! It was so damn nostalgic, and their family reunion was so sweet. I had no idea the grownup guy is actually the small kid from Gadar 1. That was nice.

bangtanARMY thumbnail

Some other movies I watched:

Family Switch - One-time watch. None of the kids acting like the parents had any authority air about them. Jennifer and Ed did not act well as the teens also... So Idk where's the family switch in it lolol.

But that scene at the football game where Jennifer is getting pissed off at the random dude in front of her was cracking me up, and also the neighbour who was babysitting the baby-dog lmaoo

The Archies - I gave my review somewhere in the outside thread discussing it.

Exmas - FUN! I would watch it a second time too.

Haunted Mansion - I like the dry humor in this. I enjoyed it.

Best. Christmas. Ever! - I don't even know what this move was about. Lame-o.

Candy Cane Lane - It was a drag but it had its moments.

The Great Indian Family & Thank You For Coming - Kill me now for watching it.smiley1

Maroonporsche thumbnail

The Archies

Take these kids and make Student of the year 3. A give them character names like Rohan or Preeti. Don’t set it in the 60s. Don’t base it off a comic that’s not even that popular in India. An I’m sure people would like that film more. Even KKHH was Karan’s version of Archie’s and he wasn’t dumb enough to make it an actual Archie’s smiley37 Zoya is just a legend of her own mind at this point. It was a bland film. All these kids would have done better in a different film with a different director. In this film it’s just meh 🫤

If I had to choose that Jughead character stood out. That scene at the school gym where he is talking w Archie about the girls and then Archie compliments the other random girl was one highlight. Another one was when Veronica said “my friends hate me” and the dad casually said “find new friends” That was cute. smiley36

Thats all I’ll say but my mother and my wife were more savage about it smiley36

Aurora_77 thumbnail

Melody Maniacs

The Archies

Pros-

Sweet and simple plot. Amazing songs. Beautiful set. Talented supporting cast- (The actors who played Reggie, Dilton, Hiram, Hal cooper, Alice, Hermoine, Fred, Mary etc.)

Cons-

Felt more like an episode from a tv series rather than a full movie. The storyline isn't gripping enough. Bad acting by khushi and suhana. Both have zero expressions and horrible dialogue delivery.

Edited by Aurora_77 - 10 months ago