Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 1 years ago

Satyaprem Ki Katha

The movie makes a sincere attempt to tell a meaningful and important story. Overall, it is a good movie but falters in many aspects.

Both the leads, Sattu and Katha, do not develop as characters until almost the second half. Until then, the proceedings feel awkward and half-baked. Sattu's failures, desire to get married, and falling for Katha are barely scratched or explained.

But once their marital challenges enter the foray, both characters quickly develop a lot of depth, display a myriad of emotions, and grow as characters.

Some things that stood out to me are

- Sattu is perceived as good-for-nothing and lazy. However, he is constantly cooking and cleaning for the family. A woman who failed an exam and did the same would be lauded and told don't worry - you just have to find a nice family to marry. Sure, Sattu has some indignation and entitlement about not being shooed in to pass - but his challenge is the lack of people supporting him and pushing him to do better.

- Even when he doesn't know any better, Sattu is highly sensitive to his wife's needs, willing to sleep separately and defend her decisions. Despite his good intentions, he's clueless about addressing the situation. Only when his father-in-law advises him to get to know his wife does he connect with her. This should be a no-brainer. On the one hand, Indian society makes sex be something saved for someone you know and love, and on the other hand, it expects you to have sex with a stranger just because you got married. If you have an arranged marriage and don't know your partner well, you should try to get to know each other before sleeping together.

- I'm in two minds about the marriage circumstance. Knowing Indian society, I completely understand why Katha's family forced her into marriage and hid her past. But I felt sorry for Sattu, who felt so lost and lonely. But kudos to Sattu for realizing that he made a mistake by pushing forth with the marriage when Katha wasn't ready.

- Diwali and Sejal were off-putting as domineering women at the movie's start. But in the second half, you really love them. They're so supportive and understanding of Sattu and Katha. And you completely understand why they had to become the kind of women they are. It really shows the misogyny in the henpecked husband/domineering wife trope.

I never really liked Karthik because I felt he played one-note misogynistic characters and could only do comedy. But his depth in this movie made me realize that I need to give him another shot.

On the whole, I think everyone needs to watch this movie because people still don't understand consent - especially between romantic partners.

dahibhalle thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Afsos

A wonderfully quirky and eccentric series on Prime.

May not be everyones cup of tea though- my mother thought it was stupid.

dahibhalle thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

While we watched - Ravish Kumar documentary.

A lot of people can sing Ekla chalo Re, its the rare few who personify it.

As Ravish Kumar himself says in the docu,some battles are not fought for victory but to show that there was someone on the battlefield.

I idolise and venerate the man so I had to watch but it can be slow moving but nevertheless an interesting look at Indian media in the Godi/ Modi era.

566912 thumbnail

Watched Shehzada 2 weeks back

And Satyaprem ki Katha last week.

Karthik is rocking. He can do emotional and comic scenes so well. Romance too. Transitions from one to another quite well. A total typical BW hero.

He is here to say.

MaebyFunke thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: NimbuMirchi

And Satyaprem ki Katha last week.

Karthik is rocking. He can do emotional and comic scenes so well. Romance too. Transitions from one to another quite well. A total typical BW hero.

He is here to say.

Watched SPKK a while back and I agree. I had always dismissed him as a one note actor worth of only monologues. BB2 didn't convince me as well, which I watched in parts and skipped through most of it. But in SPKK, for the first time I saw his true potential. The emotional scenes were lajaawab, especially the confrontation scene with Katha in the bedroom.

Edited by ohophelia - 1 years ago
DanceUntilWeDie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: dahibhalle

While we watched - Ravish Kumar documentary.

A lot of people can sing Ekla chalo Re, its the rare few who personify it.

As Ravish Kumar himself says in the docu,some battles are not fought for victory but to show that there was someone on the battlefield.

I idolise and venerate the man so I had to watch but it can be slow moving but nevertheless an interesting look at Indian media in the Godi/ Modi era.

It's on YouTube na.

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Mint Green is the New Orange aka Jawan

Jawan is a trip. A trip back in time to the glorious era of masala films when pregnancy was determined by a pulse check and multiple familial doppelgangers. Back to a simpler time when the most complex backstories could neatly be tied together in the central narrative arc. Where characters can disappear without question or exist for random reasons. It's a trip in time to a time when every movie had a trip in time, not once but multiple times.

We also have a KKHH lite where a woman is willing to marry a random dude her daughter has picked out for her. Ok, is that lite or KKHH or steroids? There's also the people who have carefully packed eggs and a parachute before going into battle - because you never know when you will need these things. At a point, an entire prison of thousands of women is let loose and walk back into the bars when it's time. No dash to the lake? No one pulled a Chang? IYKYK. Or perhaps they were not integral to the plot.

And I want to know who is making the desi remake of Logan because the entire second half is Shahrukh Khan's audition for Wolverine. Unless SRK is actually replacing Hugh Jackman as Old Man Logan. Also, WTF was Bane doing in the movie? Was he just a plot device?

So yeah, I am not going to sit here and deny the absurdities, inconsistencies, and plotholes. Deus Ex Machina has been running so hard for this movie that surely even God's machine has to be down for maintenance.

But you know what, it all works. Despite all its flaws, Jawan is greater than the sum of its parts. These bits and pieces from all over the place somehow come together to form a damn good entertainer. And I'll give full credit to Atlee. Atlee and other South Indian filmmakers have been making the most wildly outrageous plots into beloved hit films for decades now.

There is no denying the charisma and star power of SRK as well. For both Pathan and Jawan, it is not his acting prowess but the nostalgia and memories of SRK that propel the film. Both films rely on meta references and dialogues to keep the plot going—pure fan service. But for fans who have been starved of the actor for four years are really enjoying his massy action avatar.

Also, full credit to the action set pieces and VFX. Physics may have some objections, but there is no denying that the action set pieces are slick, innovative, and enthralling. Heck, part of me is willing the bandaged action hero from the opening act to be an Indian superhero - the Ghost who walks saving oppressed tribes for generations - our own Phantom of sorts. The VFX is also spot on, creating the explosions and gravity-defying set pieces. If Adipurush had even a fraction of the VFX quality - it would not have been such a joke.

Finally, there is the narrative, shaky as it maybe, touches on issues that resonate with the masses. Medical malpractice, farmer suicide, electoral fraud, negligent factories, arms malfunctioning - the movie touches upon multiple issues plaguing ordinary citizens and makes an important appeal. It is here where I have my most citizens. I grew up watching movies where angry, larger-than-life heroes fought the system and urged the masses to wake up. Now, in my middle age, we have come full circle again. But if those movies made no difference, what difference will Jawan make now? Honestly, Florida and Texas will turn blue before any meaningful change can take place in India.

But I digress. Overall - Jawan is a wildly entertaining film that just clicks with the audiences. In another time and another place, the film may not have worked. There are many elements that are less than. But given its time and place - it's just the mass entertainer we needed.

Sidebar - Dang, Nayanthara is hot. Her action pieces and hand-to-hand combat sequences. Ooh, chef's kiss. I am a fan. But sadly, I am torn between her and old man Logan. Dang, I typically prefer girls, and I hate smoking - but Daddy Wolverine is so hot!!!!!! Thanks, Hannah Montana, for the best of both worlds.

566912 thumbnail

Originally posted by: ohophelia

Watched SPKK a while back and I agree. I had always dismissed him as a one note actor worth of only monologues. BB2 didn't convince me as well, which I watched in parts and skipped through most of it. But in SPKK, for the first time I saw his true potential. The emotional scenes were lajaawab, especially the confrontation scene with Katha in the bedroom.

Shehzada is typical south style commercial potboiler with David Dhawan vibes. I think Karthik did justice to the role. He had swag when needed and had good comic timing.

BB2 was his run of the mill acting. That’s his comfort.

SPKK was something new and he did well. His emotional scene with his Pappa and with Diwali, both were fine. With Katha, there were lot of scenes where he transitioned from emotional to funny in a bit. Nicely done.

Romance if you want to watch- watch Akashvaani. Nusrat and Karthik both did well there.

MaebyFunke thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: NimbuMirchi

Shehzada is typical south style commercial potboiler with David Dhawan vibes. I think Karthik did justice to the role. He had swag when needed and had good comic timing.

BB2 was his run of the mill acting. That’s his comfort.

SPKK was something new and he did well. His emotional scene with his Pappa and with Diwali, both were fine. With Katha, there were lot of scenes where he transitioned from emotional to funny in a bit. Nicely done.

Romance if you want to watch- watch Akashvaani. Nusrat and Karthik both did well there.

Haven't watched Shehzaada. I watched the original telugu movie and don't want to sully the image Allu Arjun playing the role in my mind. Akashvani is available on Prime and I started watching last month but I couldn't finish lol, he looks so chikna and then the movie looks like it was made in the 90s. I can't. smiley36

SPKK was a complete surprise. Yes, his bromance with his pappa was great, but what was also great was his acting when he stood up to his pappa in the climax. I'm gonna keep an eye on what Kartik does next!

Shaitan-Haiwan thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 12 Thumbnail + 8

Originally posted by: ohophelia

And when he goes to hit the guy with the chappal, I wanted to stand up and cheer from him. He totally nailed that scene as well.