Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 1 years ago

Bros

I am not sure what to make of Bros. There is a cute romance between two guys who don't want relationships but cannot help falling in love with each other. But I wasn't expecting to be fully immersed in the gay culture of Grindr hookups, group sex, and polyamory. Its something I am used to and comfortable with on account of gay friends, but the presence in a movie billed as a romcom took me by surprise.

I also found the characters hard to root for. Bobby is consistently angry and abrasive. He's so oblivious to how others feel. Aaron is too aloof and dismissive. He's so uncomfortable in his skin at times. Their romance didn't sweep me up. I didn't sigh when they started opening up to each other. I wasn't frustrated when they broke up over miscommunication. I was utterly ambivalent about their reunion.

I think Bros tanked because of heteronormativity rather than homophobia. Audiences used to heteronormative romcoms (including myself) couldn't connect with a fully immersive gay experience.

Nope

Dang! This is one of the best horror movies I have seen in a long time.

I think horror movies have a tendency to be formulaic. They rely on gruesome creatures, violence, gore, and plenty of jump scares. Horror also relies on dim lighting and night shots to add to the eerieness.

Nope really subverts the horror genre. It manages to give you goosebumps right off the bat in broad daylight. In fact, a significant number of eerie events happen in broad daylight. The UFO in the film is pretty generic. But it is the camera angles, the lighting, the music, the expressions, and the performances of the cast that create the sense of unease and fear.

Daniel Kaluuya is a fine actor who has made a name for himself. But for me Keke Palmer steals her show with a perfect blend of drama and light-hearted humor.

Spoiler Alert

This was everything Bros was not. Once again, you have two gay men who fear long-term commitments but cannot help being attracted to each other. You cannot help but root for Michael and Kit through every moment of their relationship. Their meet cute at a club, their awkward first sexual encounter, their insecurities about commitment, committing to the relationship, and Kit's uncomfortable coming out to his parents.

Their relationship has a genuine warmth as Michael and Kit's parents warm up to each other. After thirteen years together, they hit a rough patch navigating Michael's jealousy and alcoholism and Kit's infidelity. But when Kit is diagnosed with cancer, Michael stands by his side through the whole thing.

It left me sobbing at the end. It is more of a drama than a romcom, but it will warm your heart. Plus, Jim Parsons is such a fine actor. He's in fine form. To bad he's always in Sheldon's shadow. And I confess, I would consume Sheldon Cooper content anytime.

MostlyHarmIess thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Bros

I am not sure what to make of Bros. There is a cute romance between two guys who don't want relationships but cannot help falling in love with each other. But I wasn't expecting to be fully immersed in the gay culture of Grindr hookups, group sex, and polyamory. Its something I am used to and comfortable with on account of gay friends, but the presence in a movie billed as a romcom took me by surprise.

I also found the characters hard to root for. Bobby is consistently angry and abrasive. He's so oblivious to how others feel. Aaron is too aloof and dismissive. He's so uncomfortable in his skin at times. Their romance didn't sweep me up. I didn't sigh when they started opening up to each other. I wasn't frustrated when they broke up over miscommunication. I was utterly ambivalent about their reunion.

I think Bros tanked because of heteronormativity rather than homophobia. Audiences used to heteronormative romcoms (including myself) couldn't connect with a fully immersive gay experience.

Mix of what you said. The characters are deeply unlikable, and the plot is wafer thin. Fire Island does everything Bros tries to do better. Billy Eichner is hard to digest in video form of greater length than 3 minutes. Even the NPH show works much better despite similar problems as Bros, just because NPH has charisma. And it definitely should not have been billed as a rom-com, should have just gone all out as an R-rated comedy.

But I think Bros was always going to be dead on arrival, because the rom-com market is dead theatrically. And the comedy genre doesn't take off without a star. It should have either gone to streaming or it needed a big ticket name.

MostlyHarmIess thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Nope

Dang! This is one of the best horror movies I have seen in a long time.

I think horror movies have a tendency to be formulaic. They rely on gruesome creatures, violence, gore, and plenty of jump scares. Horror also relies on dim lighting and night shots to add to the eerieness.

Nope really subverts the horror genre. It manages to give you goosebumps right off the bat in broad daylight. In fact, a significant number of eerie events happen in broad daylight. The UFO in the film is pretty generic. But it is the camera angles, the lighting, the music, the expressions, and the performances of the cast that create the sense of unease and fear.

Daniel Kaluuya is a fine actor who has made a name for himself. But for me Keke Palmer steals her show with a perfect blend of drama and light-hearted humor.

Didn't want to mix in the same post. But this is another film where I am not sure why it was marketed the way it was. The bait and switch I think hurt it in the end box-office wise.

The cast is a delight though. Stephen Yuen too.

Originally posted by: MostlyHarmIess

Mix of what you said. The characters are deeply unlikable, and the plot is wafer thin. Fire Island does everything Bros tries to do better. Billy Eichner is hard to digest in video form of greater length than 3 minutes. Even the NPH show works much better despite similar problems as Bros, just because NPH has charisma. And it definitely should not have been billed as a rom-com, should have just gone all out as an R-rated comedy.

But I think Bros was always going to be dead on arrival, because the rom-com market is dead theatrically. And the comedy genre doesn't take off without a star. It should have either gone to streaming or it needed a big ticket name.

I really enjoyed Fire Island. Even though it was also super gay, the characters were all so charming, well-fleshed, and likable.

I think Bros would have been more successful if promoted as an R-rated comedy. A big-name star or hyped big-name cameos could have given a moderate profit at the box office. No Hard Feelings showed that there is an audience for R-Rated comedies.

But I think Bros would have tanked if it was released as a streaming rom-com. That character chemistry isn't there.

791198 thumbnail

M3GAN. Entertaining. If you’re flying Delta, watch it. You won’t know when you land.

anikamathur thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 5

Puss in Boots The Last Wish i really loved the movie saw it twice all actors did their best especially Antonio, Wagner, Florence and Mulaney i found Salma's voice acting okaish all time being rude they made kitty a rude cat I wish makers bring a new girlfriend for puss rather than sticking with same no offense to Antonio - Salma Pairing they Were Fire in Desperado which is my another favourite movie DreamWorks did their best Be It Shrek Series, Wallace and gromit movie, Puss In Boots Series, Madagascar Series And RGTK So on

I give Puss In Boots The Last Wish 100/100

Shotgun Wedding

Pure dumb fun with Jennifer Lopez, Jennifer Coolidge, D'Arcy Carden and others.

I watched Megan and that was good. Her performance was brilliant. Bloody creepy.

I watched Run Rabbit Run.

I have my theories on it, does anyone have their theory on the wtf ending?