Barb - cross between Stanley and Oscar

Melissa - Meredith

That annoying sub - Kelly

Did I miss anyone?

It's fun but gets boring real fast.

791198 thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

Originally posted by: capricornrcks

Bhanumati Ramakrishna is that rare sweet romcom which leaves you with a tear and smile at the end. Bhanumati is a 30 year old tough,sophisticated City girl.Yet she's still sensitive enough to be hurt when her 30 year old boyfriend of 5 years dumps her for a younger girl when it's time to marry.

Ramakrishna has just come to the City from a small town and is supposed to be trained by Bhanu. He's conservative,not as financially well-off or sophisticated as herself and struggles to speak in English fluently. Yet he steals into her heart with a sweetness and sheer optimism and ability to laugh at his misfortunes. They bond over being rejected due to their age, being stuck with old fashioned names and Bhanu ultimately has to make a decision which everyone has to tackle. "What will people say if I marry this person who's totally different from me and everyone in my circle?"

This sounds lovely. Where can I watch it?

capricornrcks thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Supari_khala

This sounds lovely. Where can I watch it?

It's streaming on Aha with English subtitles. Here's the link for the trailer. Again with subtitles.

http://y2u.be/qd1WnmWt47A

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

I have not posted in this topic for eons. So doing a dump. If I have any repeats, sorry. I don't remember what I posted last.

TV shows

Saas Bahu Aur Flamingo - A firecracker of a series that flips the narrative on international drug cartel

Dahaad - An intriguing slow burn that has questions for our society. Sonakshi needs to do more like this.

Top Chef S19 - One of the best culinary shows, it won't be the same without Padma.

Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - A fitting farewell to the hit series. The Sue and Midge friendship arc was sweet.

Never Have I Ever S4 - The final season as so-so. The show was also uneven. Devi should have gone to college single realizing she is no longer desperate for relationships. The ivy obsession was extra for me.

School of Lies - Gripping, twisting, turning, and gut-wrenching series.

Movies

Polite Society - A surprisingly fun riot.

TJMM - Not as horrifically for Luv Ranjan but still lacking some nuance.

Shiva Baby - Honestly, I only watched it because it was mentioned in Diana Agrons Swiftgron interview.

Antman and the Wasp: Quantummania - One of the weakest MCU films. I think they focused more on special effects than story.

Kathal - A humorous tale about entitlement with a surprising twist and message.

Guardians of the Galaxy V3 - A perfect farewell. One of the best superhero movies. Perfect mix of humor + action + gravitas. Good blend of VFX and storytelling.

No Hard Feelings - An unexpected sweet film about friendship, growing up, and moving on in life packaged in a raunchy romcom. This deserves to be a hit.

In preparation for 'The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes,' I have been rereading and rewatching the Hunger Games series. Years later, I am seeing the Katniss, Gale, Peeta triangle in a new light. I tweeted about it and I cannot get over it.

The movies completely exaggerated Katniss and Gale's relationship. They overplayed the intimacy, had far more kisses than the book, and completely downplayed how ideologically disconnected they are.

The movies also thoroughly water down Katniss and Peeta's relationship. They cut out so much of the intimacy and kissing. It ignores showing how Katniss and Peeta are much more ideologically aligned.

In the books, Katniss sees Gale as a friend and hunting companion. People in the Seam assume they will marry without knowing what Katniss wants. Romance is the furthest thing on her mind. Whenever Gale expresses romantic interest, it makes her scared and uncomfortable. Every time Katniss shows affection to Gale, it is because she overcompensates guilt.

On the other hand, even though romance with Peeta started out as an act, Katniss is moved by how genuinely kind he is. Intimacy with Peeta comes naturally to Katniss. They share a lot more kisses than the movie shows, and Katniss even confesses experiencing a stirring she's never felt before. By the end of the first game, it is clear that Katniss has fallen in love with Peeta.

There really is no triangle, and it's always Peeta for Katniss.

President Snow is actually well aware of this, and his threat is to instill guilt and fear so she doesn't become the Mockingjay.

The third book Mockingjay makes all of this clear. Katniss cannot pretend or act. She finds it impossible to say or do anything that is genuinely from her heart - proving that everything with Peeta was real. Finnick also explains to Katniss how he realized Katniss is in love with Peeta and how President Snow plans to exploit it.

The movies do a disservice to Katniss and Peeta by softening their relationship and presenting Gale as an equal for her affection. So many movie fans think Katniss should have chosen Gale, but book fans tend to be more loyally Peeta.

In general, I think the fantasy fiction genre is poor at portraying slow-burn romances - especially ones that form through shared trauma and ideology in war. Even Peter Jackson favored Arwen from the appendices even though Faramir and Eowyn is much deeper and gives their characters so much depth.

They're remaking Harry Potter as a streaming series - I want them to remake Hunger Games and finally give justice to Katniss and Peeta.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Tu Jhoothi Main Makkaar. I found it quite below average. Perhaps a 3 or 4 out of 10

SPOILER REVIEW

I saw 'No Hard Feelings' again with some friends because I enjoyed it so much.

The movie offends many people because "if the roles were reversed, it would never be made."

But in movies and in real life, the role is often reversed. Movies are filled with men romancing barely legal women who are decades younger than them. Even in real life, we often see older men date and even marry barely legal girls. In the United States, in some states, conservatives have even fought to make it legal for teenage girls to marry older men with parental consent.

Two wrongs don't make a right. I think when older adults date people under 25 who are significantly younger, it is problematic. But pretending that older men do not consistently date barely legal women and get away with it is untrue.

The reverse thing that would not happen is the parents of a girl paying an older man to take her virginity. There is a double standard. Parents and society are very deeply committed in preserving the virginity of young women. But for some reason, losing their virginity before college is almost a rite of passage expected of boys.

And the movie tackles this double standard head-on. It is perfectly alright for a young man to be a sensitive romantic and want to fall in love before he sleeps with someone. The intrusive parents are scrutinized and skewered for their meddling.

But the relationship that results from parental meddling is adorable. Even though there is a decade age gap between Percy and Maddie, they are both suffering from arrested development.

Percy has helicopter parents who have interfered in and controlled every aspect of his life. As a result, Percy never got an opportunity to come into his own. He completely lacks confidence and social skills because he never got the opportunity to develop them.

Maddie, on the other hand, has an absent father and a mother who died when she was young. She was forced to grow up fast and never experienced prom, college, or other rites teenagers go through. As a result, she is emotionally shut off. She lives a hedonistic life built on one-night stands and flings but no meaningful relationships.

That is why it is easy for her to take the deal offered by Percy's patients. She sees it as a quickie that will get her out of financial ruin. As an attractive woman who has no trouble picking up guys, she assumes it will be easy to hook up with Percy. But Percy being a sheltered kid, is initially terrified of her. And when he sees that she's interested in him, he wants to get to know her and court her the old-fashioned way.

As a result, Percy and Maddie push each other out of their comfort zone and grow as people. They both get the other out of their arrested development. Percy learns to be confident, independent, have fun, and move on from childhood trauma. Maddie learns that there is so much more to relationships than sex. She learns to be mature, responsible, less selfish, and move on from past resentments. They both learn to be vulnerable, and how freeing it can be.

While the movie has plenty of raunchy jokes and moments as Maddie tries to make a move on Percy, it never crosses a line. Maddie always respects his boundaries and doesn't push him to have sex until he is ready. She turns him down when he is drunk and eventually decides not to go through with it because he's grown too attached.

The makers could have pushed a narrative that Maddie falls in love with Percy, and it's all good when they get together in the end. And maybe a part of her did. But Maddie and everyone around are hyper-aware that Percy is just nineteen. Even if he is of legal age, and even if they have a fling - he is a brilliant young man who got into an Ivy. He has a bright future ahead of him, and he needs to get the whole college experience of hanging out, making friends, and potentially dating peers of his own age.

You can see how an intelligent young man like Percy is willing to do something so foolish, like drop out of Princeton to be with Maddie. And if he and Maddie got into a real relationship, it would be grooming. That is why they end up as just friends, with him going to Princeton and her selling the house and finally moving to California as she dreamed of as a teen.

Overall, it is OK to have age-gap relationships in movies. It just depends on how it is handled and whether it condones a problematic relationship or not. No Hard Feelings never loses sight of the age gap or the problems with it and handles the situation with immense sweetness and sensitivity.

anikamathur thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

SPOILER REVIEW

I saw 'No Hard Feelings' again with some friends because I enjoyed it so much.

The movie offends many people because "if the roles were reversed, it would never be made."

But in movies and in real life, the role is often reversed. Movies are filled with men romancing barely legal women who are decades younger than them. Even in real life, we often see older men date and even marry barely legal girls. In the United States, in some states, conservatives have even fought to make it legal for teenage girls to marry older men with parental consent.

Two wrongs don't make a right. I think when older adults date people under 25 who are significantly younger, it is problematic. But pretending that older men do not consistently date barely legal women and get away with it is untrue.

The reverse thing that would not happen is the parents of a girl paying an older man to take her virginity. There is a double standard. Parents and society are very deeply committed in preserving the virginity of young women. But for some reason, losing their virginity before college is almost a rite of passage expected of boys.

And the movie tackles this double standard head-on. It is perfectly alright for a young man to be a sensitive romantic and want to fall in love before he sleeps with someone. The intrusive parents are scrutinized and skewered for their meddling.

But the relationship that results from parental meddling is adorable. Even though there is a decade age gap between Percy and Maddie, they are both suffering from arrested development.

Percy has helicopter parents who have interfered in and controlled every aspect of his life. As a result, Percy never got an opportunity to come into his own. He completely lacks confidence and social skills because he never got the opportunity to develop them.

Maddie, on the other hand, has an absent father and a mother who died when she was young. She was forced to grow up fast and never experienced prom, college, or other rites teenagers go through. As a result, she is emotionally shut off. She lives a hedonistic life built on one-night stands and flings but no meaningful relationships.

That is why it is easy for her to take the deal offered by Percy's patients. She sees it as a quickie that will get her out of financial ruin. As an attractive woman who has no trouble picking up guys, she assumes it will be easy to hook up with Percy. But Percy being a sheltered kid, is initially terrified of her. And when he sees that she's interested in him, he wants to get to know her and court her the old-fashioned way.

As a result, Percy and Maddie push each other out of their comfort zone and grow as people. They both get the other out of their arrested development. Percy learns to be confident, independent, have fun, and move on from childhood trauma. Maddie learns that there is so much more to relationships than sex. She learns to be mature, responsible, less selfish, and move on from past resentments. They both learn to be vulnerable, and how freeing it can be.

The makers could have pushed a narrative that Maddie falls in love with Percy, and it's all good when they get together in the end. And maybe a part of her did. But Maddie and everyone around are hyper-aware that Percy is just nineteen. Even if he is of legal age, and even if they have a fling - he is a brilliant young man who got into an Ivy. He has a bright future ahead of him, and he needs to get the whole college experience of hanging out, making friends, and potentially dating peers of his own age.

Overall, it is OK to have age-gap relationships in movies. It just depends on how it is handled and whether it condones a problematic relationship or not. No Hard Feelings never loses sight of the age gap or the problems with it and handles the situation with immense sweetness and sensitivity.

One of the worst comeback film of J Law who's known to do critically acclaimed movies is now doing a bad film like no hard feelings i expected her to comeback in big budget films like Oppenheimer, barbie and Dune 2 just look at Cameron Diaz she's coming back in atleast a good franchise like Shrek through Shrek 5 and Owen Wilson also comeback with a good movie like Marry me with jlo and maluma what happened to her script choices it's getting worser than ever I hope j law joins Marvel or Shrek universe

Originally posted by: anikamathur

One of the worst comeback film of J Law who's known to do critically acclaimed movies is now doing a bad film like no hard feelings i expected her to comeback in big budget films like Oppenheimer, barbie and Dune 2 just look at Cameron Diaz she's coming back in atleast a good franchise like Shrek through Shrek 5 and Owen Wilson also comeback with a good movie like Marry me with jlo and maluma what happened to her script choices it's getting worser than ever I hope j law joins Marvel or Shrek universe

Funny how tastes vary. I'm thinking of seeing it a third time. I thought the role really tapped into her goofy personality and sense of humor. She's already played a Marvel character (albeit not MCU).

Is there any reason why you didn't like it?