PinkPixie thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
http://www.newindpress.com/

Shooting star - Tisca Chopra

Thursday March 13 2008 16:17 IST

Bhawna Gera Vijan

Tisca Chopra

TISCA Chopra's debut film Platform opposite Ajay Devgan didn't fetch her plum assignments in Bollywood. The actress, as expected, turned to television television and theatre.

But Aamir Khan's home production Taare Zameen Par things rolling for her again in Bollywood.

Her role of a hapless mother in the film not only won her the Filmfare Award recently, but made her a name to reckon with in the industry. Here's a candid chat with the actress

Taare Zameen Par is the turning point of your life. Isn't it?

Most definitely! I always believed that being part of a big film like this is going to be very good for me as a professional as everyone is certainly going to see it.

And if I have even two paise worth of acting in me, it was the best possible place to show that!

Also, to do a film with this kind of powerful idea, an agent of change, is a rare privilege.

You actually thought it was a crank call when approached for the role...

I was taken by surprise as I had never met Aamir or anyone else at the office. It was completely out of the blue.

Needless to say Production No. 2 after Lagaan, would be a very exciting proposition for any actor.

My role was fabulous. For once no one gave a damn how I looked! The whole focus was totally on the performance.

How was your experience of working with Mr Perfectionist Aamir Khan?

Making films is a very specific art...every shot, every line and every expression you see in film is put there on purpose to create the effect that carries the story forward.

Being vague is to me the mark of incompetence. As a director, Aamir knew exactly the effect he wanted.

Once he trusted me as an actress, he let me show him what I had in mind and if he liked that, we went ahead.

Often he fine-tuned what one was doing and added a totally new dimension. All in all, it was a very creatively satisfying atmosphere.

So, there were no major problems?

Shoots are always demanding and challenging. But this script was so beautifully written that it was a breeze to perform.

Having said that, it was a surprise when Amole (Gupte) was not directing us any more. But Aamir took us into confidence and explained what he felt and then it was work as usual.

I guess everything was completely centered around the script so the transition was not cataclysmic. And, Amole was on set for the most part.

How would you describe Aamir as an actor? Did you get to learn anything from him?

Reams have been written about Aamir. Yes, he is all that. But what was a very pleasant surprise was that he is so gentle and kind.

A very nice guy. He is the most focused person I have ever met. That I need to learn.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sony-Kurdi thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
I really like her in Taare Zameen Par