Ahmed Ali Butt interview!

*Fiza* thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Ahmed Ali Butt

Pakistan's best known rapper, Ahmed is a member of Rubber Band, a new and upcoming band in Pakistan and the former member of Entity Paradigm (EP). He has directed one of the funniest serials on ARY TV, also called Rubber Band, and worked in other sitcoms including Jutt and Bond and College Jeans.

Music and acting are in Ahmed's blood - his grandmother Madame Noor Jehan was one of South Asia's best known singers who also starred in many classic films; his mother Zille Huma, Noor Jehan's daughter, is an excellent and popular singer.

While Ahmed's music side-steps the track followed by his family, he is undoubtedly talented and making great strides in establishing himself on his own merit in Pakistan's music industry.

1. Let's start with the basics – what do you say when people ask you "what do you do"?

Normally I say "I entertain people and on top of it I get paid too."

2. Your grandmother, Madame Noor Jehan was a music legend; your mother Zille Huma is also a famous and talented singer. How does it feel to belong to such a creative and renowned family and is that why you chose to be in this field?

Well I suppose the "WHY" bit was predictable; I mean I always loved acting and music. Both went hand in hand from day one. I was taught classical music at an early age and fell in love with the performing arts. It was only at the age of 15 that I started to realize what family I belong to and it took me a while to come to terms with it. I am blessed and very fortunate to be a part of them as they are responsible for whom I am today.

3. Before we move on, we would love to hear about Madame Noor Jehan as a grandmother – what was she like and what are some interesting stories you can share with us as a Naani?

Well we (us brothers) never called her nani, we always called her "Noor Jahan G" and personally I was very scared of her. I mean she was a commanding and strong person. As I grew up and discovered music I came to realize what she truly is. She loved food and good humor and made the best "Aalu Ke Bujheya". She was always close to her family and very protective of them. In other words she was the Queen both at home and the world. May God bless her soul!

4. Okay, on to your music career - you did a lot of "rap" with your band EP – what was the inspiration and what was the audience response?

Well I didn't plan on it to happen. I guess I had a good sense of rhythm and rhyme. I tried it with my previous band "Entity" and since there was no English rapper, I was the one-eyed leader in the land of the blind. But I never thought people would appreciate it to this level. My early rap inspirations were NWA and Public Enemy.

5. Are you going to continue your own style of music or have you thought of making a switch to more traditional Eastern music like your grandmother and mother?

I make music to the point where I can feel it. I don't like to be labeled only as a rapper or a classical singer or a rocker, but just a creative individual who likes to try out different styles of music. I am working on a new album and we are doing all kinds of crazy stuff. Stuff I'd always wanted to do. So I guess you can expect anything!

6. Tell us more about the new album...

I'm working with my new band called "Rubber Band" which includes me, Salman Albert and Abid. We have almost finished our first album and will be making the videos pretty soon. I'll keep you guys posted.

7. Tell us about your experience as an actor versus being a musician – which one do you like more and why?

Like I said, to me they both go hand in hand. They are like pedals to a cycle. One goes down the other comes up and vice versa. I get inspired by music and think on a visual platform giving birth to my expression to act. So, you decide!

8. Are you currently working on any acting assignments? If so what can you tell us about them?

Well nowadays my first priority is my music and the completion of the album. But yes, I have a couple of acting projects lined up that will Insha Allah take shape soon.

9. Did any of your other siblings enter the media world as well? If so who and what are they doing?

Well my kid brother Kuki is working as a TV show host and getting into direction real soon. He has been working in Karachi for the past 3 years now and is doing good!

10. What are your hobbies or favorite pastimes?

Hmm, music, cooking, movies, driving, being a lazy bum…you know, average stuff!

11. What is the best thing about being in this profession and what are your future plans?

The best thing about this is that you can actually make a difference if you want to. Future plans are there…let's hope the future stays with me.

12. What message would you like to give to the young individuals who want to enter this profession?

Look, listen and learn…and stay true to yourself and your beliefs!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Alisha_askim thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
i dont his voice but i like his acting
*Fiza* thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail