The First Lady Of Cricket-Mandira Bedi

dures thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

The First Lady Of Cricket
Mandira Bedi

She was known as a vivacious and talented actress, the star from the hit series Shanti, until year 2003 changed all that. From one among television stars, Mandira Bedi took on an assignment that associated her with cricket entertainment. Being host to a sport like cricket has by far been a daunting, male-dominated profession. Yet Mandira did well, and has effortlessly carved for herself a permanent niche. This cricket season, Shaaditimes catches up with Mandira in a candid and nostalgic interview. She recounts all her initial hiccups and celebrates a subsequent victory.

How it all began...
I travelled in 2002 to Colombo to watch the Champions Trophy. Producers from Sony were already there. They asked me how comfortable and interested I'd be in handling a show based on cricket for Sony Max. Maybe in me they saw a person who genuinely likes cricket. It caught my attention and once I returned we began on a whirlwind series of tests and auditions.

At first I was cold. I did not know what was happening around me. At the Sony Max office I was ushered into this room full of 10 people who asked me 25-30 questions about cricket. Things like who was the wicket keeper in such and such match, what's a Yorker, what's a beamer, etc! I did pretty well; got about four to five questions wrong in all and well, here I am.

Great expectations...
I was excited at the prospect. It was the most fantastic job ever been offered to me. It was unnerving when I landed in South Africa in 2003, but the excitement and love for the game kept me hooked on. I never imagined I'd be associated with something like this. A chance to be closely associated with and be part of the World Cup is exhilarating.

The first four to five days were terrible. I was nervous, insecure and worried. I wanted to fit in. By the end of the World Cup I wanted to be accepted. I never attempted to excel, influence or change the pace of the game. That's when people responded differently. There was possessiveness about the game, a certain amount of chauvinism. I faced a lot of flak, but survived. I guess ultimately people believed I am here to stay. I was not there in the capacity of a commentator or an expert. I was a cricket host and it took sometime for people to understand that distinction.

How did you cope...
At one point I was skeptical about my contribution to the show and I told Sony that I may not be adding any significant value. But they had confidence in me and asked me to stick on. I was carrying a lot of excess baggage, so I simply let go and started enjoying the experience. That's when I realised that the value I add is the energy I bring on to every show I host.

How is it now...
This has turned my life around. My image as an actress and as a professional in the media has moved beyond Shanti. People know me as I am, for who I am. It keeps me connected to sports and it has opened many new doors for me.

I have traveled a lot in the past four years. Something I never could even with my acting career. It has given me new avenues to explore. I am also associated with fashion today where I do covers for magazines, photo features, photo spreads and the works!

Post cricket I feel I have moved from being a one-dimensional television actor / performer to becoming a TV personality. Apart from acting, theatre and hosting, I have also been writing for newspapers. Today I am invited as a judge, chief guest and a host in different events. I was invited for the Gladrags Mrs India two years ago as an emcee. This year I was invited as a judge. I would attribute this to the status cricket hosting has afforded my career.

What has changed since then...
Sports has always been a form of entertainment as well. I think it has gone to another level. You can see that news channels increasingly show women reporters reporting on sports. Even hardcore sports channels have introduced an element of entertainment in their sports reportage. Especially in cricket, which is as much a sport as it is entertainment. And all this has happened post 2003 World Cup.

Download Wallpaper

800 x 600 | 1024 x 768
What's better, acting or hosting...
Well, both have their own place, acting and cricket. In fact, I have just completed a film called Meera Bai Not Out which is a cricket-related film. It marries both my loves, acting and cricket. Theatre is something that keeps me going, It's exciting. But I think what I love best is the thrill that comes with live. Something that affords live interaction with the audience, like theatre, hosting and stage shows. It brings out the best in a performer. The energy, improvisation and the challenges are quite a high. That's what performing is all about.

On cricket and the religion that it is in our country...
Words like religion and passion are wonderful, but a bit of moderation is necessary. Audiences need to take the game in its perspective. There are 11 players out there who are in different forms. They cannot win all the time (well, of course, barring Australia). I'd say love your team, love your players, but balance it. You have to believe your players are doing their best. There are a lot of stakes and money involved, but the extent to which it is taken seriously is ridiculous.

Personally, although I am quite hooked to five-day tests, I enjoy the ODIs the most. Twenty-20 is something that I simply do not like and I don't even follow it. Else, I am always rooting for Team India and here's wishing they bring back the Cup home this time. Three cheers!

Three cheers we say too!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

smallwonder thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Thanks!! Mandira Bedi is wow 😛 She is probably the only Indian in great form currently 😉 😆
umi82990 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
And please post this in the articles section as well! 😉
mini_nee thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
thnx for sharing....she is good but truely did not like her very much in cricket section...she was more than beauty than brains 😆
darkness_123 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
She's oddly obsessed with her shoulders. I have never seen her wearing anything that DOES NOT BARE HER SHOULDERS. What is with that? 😕

Never seen her in action. So will not comment on that. 😛