Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

tina59 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 17 years ago
whether its great or not , the fact is Hollywood gives u recognition all over the world and not everyone would know abt Bollywood . Everyone attempts to achive the gretest height in the field they are in and would strive to achieve that . The fact is today oscars is considered to be the ultimate award and millions of people all over the world watch the Oscars.

People watch english movies all over the world and it does put u in the worls map and hence it is a great thing to atleast step into the platform to get there and that should be acknowledged .

Irfan Khan is a great actor , his movie The Warrior won him a lot of fans and acclaim all over the world but in India , he isnt recognised much .It even won some international awards.

No one has hyped MS, its the response thats hypocritical , where people use double standards . Every Bollywood heroine today has done and worn revealing clothes and love making scenes .Dress is something personal , if MS wears it , she is comfortable in it and if u dont like it , turn the page , change the channel ........u have the choice.

If girls can rave abt salman khan when he comes half naked in every movie of his and the same goes for hrithik and others who show or flaunt thier body , then why cant people accept the same when a heroine wears clothes which makes her look sexy .

why is culture and clothing always associated with heroines and not heroes . Why is dressing alone considered in the category of " derogating our culture ", our culture doesnt permit women to have affirs with married men, our sulture also is against people who live in with their bf's or gf's before marriage , then why arent those heroes or heroines ridiculed and termed as one not worthy of appreciation.

Originally posted by: Maya_M

Yes because only those roles demanded the South Asian actors. Now this film needs a South Asian lead to play Iraqi woman. Why the hype? Am I missing something?๐Ÿ˜•

truee but she has bagged the role from alll the 1000s of so called dignified actresses.even y the hype Abt Ash whn its the first film of the director of that movie? ash has won accliam not bcoz of her acting but bcoz of her looks alone. she is just a doll u cant expect acting from her.but still we r proud of her but not mallika? y?

Originally posted by: tina59

whether its great or not , the fact is Hollywood gives u recognition all over the world and not everyone would know abt Bollywood . Everyone attempts to achive the gretest height in the field they are in and would strive to achieve that . The fact is today oscars is considered to be the ultimate award and millions of people all over the world watch the Oscars.

i dont really care for the oscars but it does get u recognition abroad. and u have more fan following.

If girls can rave abt salman khan when he comes half naked in every movie of his and the same goes for hrithik and others who show or flaunt thier body , then why cant people accept the same when a heroine wears clothes which makes her look sexy .
And she can carry them well.
why is culture and clothing always associated with heroines and not heroes . Why is dressing alone considered in the category of " derogating our culture ", our culture doesnt permit women to have affirs with married men, our sulture also is against people who live in with their bf's or gf's before marriage , then why arent those heroes or heroines ridiculed and termed as one not worthy of appreciation.

Atleast she is not doing any such thing.and even if she does she says it to the whole world accepts it and does not criticise others for doing the thing she herself is doing.

[/QUOTE]

@Sandya_Rao: I can speak only for myself and I have posted my views about Ash and Hollywood too. I don't consider Hollywood a big ticket. I am sure that even with all the publicity Shilpa Shetty got for BB, the top and busy actresses of our film industry won't run to grab and entry to next season of BB. It pays more to be popular in your land. Indians are definitely crazier about a Shahrukh Khan as compared to Tom Cruise. As for Mallika too I have already stated that she is one of the overhyped, nonactor of our film industry. It doesn't matter if she dons a role in Hollywood which demanded a South-Asian actor. I am repeating myself so let me end my debate on this thread.๐Ÿ˜Š

insouciance thumbnail

Yes because only those roles demanded the South Asian actors. Now this film needs a South Asian lead to play Iraqi woman. Why the hype? Am I missing something?๐Ÿ˜•

And mind you,it isnt an inadequate role.It seems to be a role which every actress worth her salt would want to bag.

What you're completely missing is the fact that the "south asian" lady is the PROTAGONIST and the MAIN LEAD of the film,whereas the other "south asians" Gulshan Grover,Irrfan Khan,Amrish Puri etc played sidekicks ,NOT the main lead.

Originally posted by: Buffie

And mind you,it isnt an inadequate role.It seems to be a role which every actress worth her salt would want to bag.

What you're completely missing is the fact that the "south asian" lady is the PROTAGONIST and the MAIN LEAD of the film,whereas the other "south asians" Gulshan Grover,Irrfan Khan,Amrish Puri etc played sidekicks ,NOT the main lead.

So was Aishwarya Rai in Mistress of spices. My point is they are hunting for an Indian female actor because the role demands one. Obviously they can't get an Iraqi actor. You are not getting my point and that is those roles demanded Indians so they took those actors. All of them were not sidekicks. Many had important supporting roles too. This movie is not going to do any wonders for Mallika. The Hollywood directors would come back again whenever they need a South Asian and some of these actors will go running towards them with open arms. After all west gives you popularity๐Ÿ˜† which I have not seen till now.

From the same article "Though he is fully aware of King Khan and his popularity. "Oh yes, he's bigger than Tom Cruise! Because he has the power to strike a chord with the audience in the country they live in. He has a built-in audience like Jean Renoir and Gerard Depardieu do in France, Clive Oven in Britain and Hugh Jackman in Australia. He's got a pedigree that's extremely respectable. I'd love to work with him someday," admits Bill. "

Now Shahrukh Khan has not done a Hollywood film to gain popularity. Good work will fetch you popularity anyways. But I would agree witht you on Mallika and Aishwarya's PR skills. They are the best. That is why these wooden actors are getting calls from Hollywood. I also love the way Mallika has maintained her figure at 35-36.

Edited by Maya_M - 17 years ago
insouciance thumbnail

It is better to be a good actor in your own country than a non-actor abroad. Kal-Penn who is an American with Indian roots essayed a lead role in 2 movies. Those who have watched the films know him but still he is nowhere. He will only get a role where they need someone who talks funny like a South-Asian.

Atleast some  "KNOW" him,its better to be known .He garnered good reviews for The Namesake,where he DID get the role of Gogol(which isnt just a caricature of an average South Asian who has moved to the US).His earlier two films might have been trash,but it atleast he got a card up his sleeve,he was noticed.

It is our media which goes gaga over anything western.

The media didnt go into an overdrive when Irrfan Khan was roped in to play a role in The Mighty Heart....The media reports ONLY about the popular stars 

There was a tele actor Sudhanshu Pandey who essayed a bigger role in Myth as compared to Mallika. He mentioned in an interview that Mallika is using her PR skills to stay in the limelight when she has just a bit of skin show in the film. That is why I mentioned the PR skills before.

And what's wrong about having an astute PR agent๐Ÿ˜•....Sudhanshu Pandey would have had a more meatier role than Mallika in The Myth,But he didnt go anywhere after that film..But look at Mallika,She bagged herself a mainstream Hollywood film.....Perhaps had Sudhanshu had a better agent,he wouldnt have been a Bollywood reject and a loser(He neither scaled heights as a singer,nor as an actor)

I am glad that Shahrukh Khan didn't bother to quote Penelope Cruz's interest in acting with him. It was posted as something great because she is an American (Mexican) actress wanting to act with an Indian actor. Shahrukh Khan is a major star in India and Penelope Cruz is just a B level star in Hollywood.

Penelope is Spanish,not Mexican.๐Ÿ˜Š

SRK might be the biggest star in India,and among people of Indian origin overseas,but how many people know him outside the South Asian community.When hollywood stars like Richard Gere come to India,the Indian media covers them.When SRK goes to Britain,its only the ASIAN radio stations doing interviews with him.I'm not trying to stamp the superiority of Hollywood actors,all I'm saying is HOLLYWOOD enjoys worldwide recognition.Aishwarya's English films havent been the best works of her oeuvre(She acted far better in HDDCS,Taal and Devdas than she did in B&P),but it took her those two films to be put on the International map.

But I mentioned it because we always think that going to Hollywood and a pat from west is an achievement.

Ans isnt it???....Out of the innumerable south Asian axctresses,to be finally zeroed in on is an achievment in its own right.

My take on Mallika's Hollywood expedition is that she, at least in my books, is a non-actor and a blabbermouth and overly hyped and it doesn't matter whether she acts in a cheap Hindi film or a Miss and blink English film, she will always be in the news for her gauche comments and indecent dressing style.

Indecent Dressing???...She flaunts it,she doesnt look bad when she slips into body hugging corsets or cleavage shirts.When she can pull it off,why do we get piqued??....Her quotes keep her in the limelight,and its thanks to good publicity that she's where she is.If those quotes give her career a mileage,why not???

I feel she's coming of age,she didnt endlessly brag about this film before it was official.We get to read so many rumours about Hrithik being in Rambo 4,about Ash being in Will Smith's next etc,but nothing materializes..Atleast Mallika didnt shoot her mouth off and then ended up with an egg on her face this time around.So I guess she's learning๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Edited by Buffie - 17 years ago

Originally posted by: Buffie

Indecent Dressing???...She flaunts it,she doesnt look bad when she slips into body hugging corsets or cleavge shirts.When she can pull it off,why do we get piqued??....HEr quotes keep her in the limelight,and its thanks to good publicity that she's where she is.If those quotes give her career a mileage,why not???

Buffie, From where I see it Mallika can't carry herself very well on red carpet. She looks plain tacky and no class whatsoever. She is popular for being that and till she gets out of that mold she will remain just that counted with the likes of Rakhi Sawant (may be a little better). I don't want to deviate from the main topic. I have given my views in my previous posts and I still stand by it.

Henna 786 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Damn! ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

will read all and try and get bk..

Henna x
chatbuster thumbnail

mallika sherawat in hollywood? good! she too deserves to earn some of that foreign exchange. maybe she could even show a thing or two to the audiences in the west. teach the actors what emoting is all about. raise the production standards of warner brothers and other studios there ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜† Edited by chatbuster - 17 years ago