Is cricket overtaking other sports?

6508 thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Hey Cricket lovers,

Every week or so, we will have Disscusion of the week, or it can be Debate of the Week. Your choice what you turn it into.πŸ˜›

So This week's theme or discussion is:

"Is cricket overtaking other sports "

We can not say about every country and how cricket affects them there but is this the case in places like India and Pakistan?
I found somewhere while browsing sites some one had wrote this...
..... that no doubt is the case in india... every nook and corner of indian streets has a broken window pane... u can notice broken wickets every here and there... kids screaming.."clean bold....."... all are the imprints of cricket... love of perhaps every indian guy...
we can very well realise the intensity of football cup fever thats is the air these days in places like England... and if compared to a cricket world cup.. its nothing....Is this the case?πŸ˜›
So what do you think, Is cricket fever over taking other sports or is it juist because of the World Cup?
Regards,
AnonπŸ˜›

For more interesting discussions like this Keep visiting
General Discussions
Edited by Naina_Manam - 17 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

umi82990 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Yes. To me cricket is the ultimate sport!

Cricket has already overtaken every other sport. I was just watching the news and they were selling Cricket hats, caps, shirts, and holi rang packaged in cricket pictures for Holi. I've never seen any other sport create such a big buzz. I'm in America and everyone here knows cricket and when I go to India, they don't know football. Cricket has overtaken every sport!!

It is not the WC. The WC is adding to the buzz but Cricket itself is a big sport that is world-wide recognized!!

-Just my views! πŸ˜‰
kggk_fan01 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
nope i dont think so. im not interested in cricket. Many people here in USA dont even know what that is 😳 but dont worry, im not one of those people πŸ˜† just i dont know how they play, i knew they run from where they hit to where the guy "pitched"(not sure what its called in cricket either, this is from baseball.the name) the ball.

here in USA, many people are interested in football. and also soccer. i personally am interested in basketball! πŸ˜›
6508 thumbnail
Its the same in England we are known as the Football Mad country. It creates a buzz all year around. But here i think every sport has a buzz of its own.

We are also big rugby and cricket supporters, but only when we have won something or are doing well in the sport.

Sports ion England is a very big thing all across the board.

I think Cricket has overtake other Sports ihn places like India and Australia, but not so much in England itself, only wen we won the ashes there was a big hype but the main hype here if football/soccer. πŸ˜›
Pensive thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

In India cricket happens to be that successfully marketed sport! If other sports generate more interest and India has more successes in other sports certainly sponsors will queue up to support them.

And also Which is the most popular game in the streets in Spain? It is soccer. In the US, it is baseball. And in India, it is obviously cricket. We grow up with cricket and it is the most affordable and enjoyable game on the streets, unlike hockey, tennis or swimming. It is simply because of this fact that cricket has been so dominant.

And with mega stars such as Dravid, Sachin, Ganguly who can't be denied as players of international standard playing for India, they naturally appeal to us more. Individual-oriented games like tennis, chess can never attain more sponsorship than popular team games, not just in India. It is the cricket team's skill which has made it so popular. Though not officially, cricket is India's national game. (And also we cant deny that its the only team game India is at par with International standard )

I think it would be unfortunate if we say that cricket is killing other sports in India. How can we say that? Before 1980, hockey was the most popular sport in India. Football was also more popular than cricket at that time. But now it has fallen behind cricket. Who is responsible for this? In my opinion, the federations of respective sports are responsible.

The officials of other sports are unable to promote the game properly. On the other hand, the BCCI has done an excellent job. Even after the match-fixing-scandal, cricket has not lost its popularity. The BCCI should be given full credit for this. They have spread the game superbly even into the remote villages of India. That is why a child in a remote village knows the name of Sachin, but not Leander Peas.

kal-el thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
its always been no1 in the asian countries like india an pakistan but in england it will always be football first, anyway whatever sports is on or there is a major event it becomes the no1 sport of the moment but for me its always gonna be football
Athena90 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Nope!!

Before i start out, no offense meant to anyone!

Cricket - as i'll describe it: A game where 10 people wait for the ball to fall in their hand!

Cricket is popular in limited countries. In countries like India, Pakistan many people have devoted their life to cricket. They breathe cricket. In India, EVERY kid knows what cricket is and EVERY kid plays it. But just because thats the state in a few countries, doesnt make the sport so pupular.

Very few countries actually play cricket. Unlike other sports like football, athletics, only a limited number of countries play it. And fewer countries play an interesting game (if u know what i mean)

Since few people play the sport, only a few people know about it and enjoy it. It appeals to only a limited numbver of people.Besides, its not everyone who either has the luxury of time or the patience to watch a match for 5 days and see it end in a draw.

Cricket, by no means is over taking other sports. In fact, i'll say its lagging behind. In terms of popularity, fair play, sportsman ship, excitement, competitive leves etc.

I'm a cricket fan, but i prefer other sports like soccer, basketball etc
123460 thumbnail

Originally posted by: angel_wings

In India cricket happens to be that successfully marketed sport! If other sports generate more interest and India has more successes in other sports certainly sponsors will queue up to support them.

And also Which is the most popular game in the streets in Spain? It is soccer. In the US, it is baseball. And in India, it is obviously cricket. We grow up with cricket and it is the most affordable and enjoyable game on the streets, unlike hockey, tennis or swimming. It is simply because of this fact that cricket has been so dominant.

And with mega stars such as Dravid, Sachin, Ganguly who can't be denied as players of international standard playing for India, they naturally appeal to us more. Individual-oriented games like tennis, chess can never attain more sponsorship than popular team games, not just in India. It is the cricket team's skill which has made it so popular. Though not officially, cricket is India's national game. (And also we cant deny that its the only team game India is at par with International standard )

I think it would be unfortunate if we say that cricket is killing other sports in India. How can we say that? Before 1980, hockey was the most popular sport in India. Football was also more popular than cricket at that time. But now it has fallen behind cricket. Who is responsible for this? In my opinion, the federations of respective sports are responsible.

The officials of other sports are unable to promote the game properly. On the other hand, the BCCI has done an excellent job. Even after the match-fixing-scandal, cricket has not lost its popularity. The BCCI should be given full credit for this. They have spread the game superbly even into the remote villages of India. That is why a child in a remote village knows the name of Sachin, but not Leander Peas.

totally agree with uπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘even i was about to say the same thing..u read my mind😳(πŸ˜†)

the coolest one thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
isnt that a rhetoric question:for indians at least
6508 thumbnail

Originally posted by: kal-el

its always been no1 in the asian countries like india an pakistan but in england it will always be football first, anyway whatever sports is on or there is a major event it becomes the no1 sport of the moment but for me its always gonna be football

I think for the majority of us living in the UK, football is the NO 1 sport, as it is more publicised and theres a bigger hype abiout it here all year around.

The same goes for me as well, football will always be the no 1 sport for me living in this country.

@Sneha, I totally agree with you as well.πŸ‘

Guys Keep your views coming.😳