Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

x.titli.x thumbnail
Posted: 4 days ago

A huge loss for the nation.

Deepest condolences to Tata Sir's family, friends, loved ones and colleagues. He will be missed. May his legacy still lives on.

CuckooCutter7 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Posted: a day ago

Originally posted by: Clochette

Yes, a very prominent Indian tycoon has died...but honestly, the way he - one-sidedly - is lauded reaks of those orbituaries published in (e- or other) medias...

Ratan had been (as much as other business tycoons around the world) someone with earning big money from the destructive side of mankind... one can mourn the loss of a human being but one should not forget the different shades of the person behind (like, e.g. filmmakers do with their biopics):

https://jacobin.com/2021/07/tata-group-indian-capitalism-history-worker-organizing-caste-fortune-wealth-mircea-raianu-review

(Honestly, I wonder if anyone here will even read this article...)

totally sick. How much did you know him to make these shameful comments? How much do you know about the Tata group? Anyway, your post is a revelation... of what you are (isn't it always?).

ps- my grandfather worked with both JRD Tata and Ratan Tata.

CuckooCutter7 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

This will always tug at the heart, a pain so deep as if we lost someone our very own.

Daebak thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: TotalBetty

So Air India is owned by Tata group?

Yes. Air India and Vistara both were owned by Tata and have now been merged. Tata also owns Air Asia and Air India Express (both low budget airlines, I dunno much abt these two).

Air India was nationalized after WW2 and ran into massive losses starting from 2007. A lot of employees were not being paid their salaries on time (this news is as of 4-6 years ago, my friend's father used to work there). Then Tata Grp bought it back in 2022.

Edited by Daebak - a day ago
Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

I respect your personal feelings...

(as for the article, I suppose you even didn't read it)

CuckooCutter7 thumbnail
Posted: 16 hours ago

I respect your personal feelings...

(as for the article, I suppose you even didn't read it)

i quickly skimmed thru it. It's junk. It was surprising to see you couldn't critically question garbage you read. But I suppose it shouldn't have been.

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 15 hours ago

Yes, a very prominent Indian tycoon has died...but honestly, the way he - one-sidedly - is lauded reaks of those orbituaries published in (e- or other) medias...

Ratan had been (as much as other business tycoons around the world) someone with earning big money from the destructive side of mankind... one can mourn the loss of a human being but one should not forget the different shades of the person behind (like, e.g. filmmakers do with their biopics):

https://jacobin.com/2021/07/tata-group-indian-capitalism-history-worker-organizing-caste-fortune-wealth-mircea-raianu-review

(Honestly, I wonder if anyone here will even read this article...)

I don't know anything about him to comment, although I did skim through the article you posted. But in general, most billionaires cannot amass that much money without building it on people's backs. That's why Generation Z, at least in western countries, has been very vocal about their disdain for all billionaires. That there's no such thing as an ethical billionaire. Gen Z does not glorify the 1% percenters and is in fact trying to change the mindset people have about billionaires in general. To not encourage youth to want to be one because no good for anyone else can ever come from that. When I work with American working-class people, I'm finding a new trend that most of them don't wish to have unlimited money. They just want enough money to take care of themselves and their families, usually a home, with peace and security.

Wealth and power tend to be glorified in almost every culture and country, but in India in particular, where there is such a large discrepancy between classes, it makes sense that Indian movie stars, cricket stars, and billionaires would be treated like gods. There's a little more objectivity in western countries (although not always), which is why movie stars abroad are not placed on the same pedestal as in Bollywood. When a western billionaire passes away, social media is usually full of negative comments about that person and their shady past and how they weren't a good person at all. The recently departed Queen Elizabeth is a good example because I so saw much vitriol posted about her on social media, with people saying she was a horrible person because as a British royal, her wealth was all based off of imperialism and indigenous people. I don't know enough about her either to comment on how true these comments are or not.

I have not seen anything of that sort for Ratan Tata so I don't know if that's just because he was a rare exception to this rule or if it's just because it's only Indian media outlets that report on him and they won't say anything bad. But in general, I'm wary of the elite class and filthy rich so I hope he was an exception.

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 9 hours ago

I didn't post the article to demean Ratan in any way but to counter the 'ususal' way to honour the death of a very prominent (and wealthy) person. The article, btw, repeats more than once the humanitarian side of the Tata group which Ratan inherited from his father.

But as you write, RPA, capitalism (= tremendous wealth built with the help of thousands of people, political support and also not always ehtical decisions) isn't what will bring out the best in people...and there is also a reason why Ratan never married and didn't father children... I think he was a v e r y kind-hearted man bound by a responsability that always had to do with money...

The article is about an academic work, btw.

Aurora_77 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Melody Maniacs

Posted: 6 hours ago

Rest in Peace Ratan Tata Sir 🙏

radix thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 4 hours ago

Originally posted by: RaniPreityAish

I have not seen anything of that sort for Ratan Tata so I don't know if that's just because he was a rare exception to this rule or if it's just because it's only Indian media outlets that report on him and they won't say anything bad. But in general, I'm wary of the elite class and filthy rich so I hope he was an exception.

It may be a good PR. The tea plantation workers, mainly Dalits from Munnar, fought with the Tata group for decent wages; they were severely underpaid. One politician from the left and, If I remember correctly, an IAS officer named Suresh were fighting against illegal land encroachment by the Tata group, but they lost. Rumour is that his own party members betrayed them, taking Tata's favours (I don't know how much truth in this, but they lost). Leading media didn't even adequately cover the news.

How do I know this? I grew up there. The collectorate was near our house. Our local newspaper and radio stations gave updates when these things happen. Thankfully, it didn't end up like the Adivasis from Kalinganagar (who protested against Tata Steel, and the police massacred 13 of them). So, for us, he was another underpaying corporate mogul who did land encroachment.

Privileged people, unaware of how utter poor, Adivasis and Dalits, have to put up with these politicians and conglomerates and fighting for basic things doesn't surprise me anymore.

Edited by radix - an hour ago