Views

Users

Frequent Posters

hemakeerti thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 3 days ago

Chapter 43 - Part 1

October 2nd, 8:20am

“I’ve things to do and places to go. Leave me for today. From tomorrow, I’m all yours.” Throwing the ladder over her right shoulder, Jodha switched the phone to her left. “You can continue with your interrogation then. Now give the phone to Sasi aunty… jaldi jaldi.

“Absolute bullshit, Jo. I mean, you send away all house help, you decorate the loungelike a wedding-night suite with flowers, candles and all, you put on the sexiest sari you ever had, and you tell me that boss did nothing?! Not even a kiss?! Such BS. I bet you wouldn’t put all that effort for nothing girl. Don’t forget you’re talking to me, who knows you inside out. Out with the details. Now!”

Dog with a bone! Grunting at her bestie’s obstinance, Jodha nudged the door with her foot. Is he still at the gym? She skimmed through the vacant suite till the faint sound from the bathroom confirmed otherwise.

“Remind me tomorrow.” Jodha unfolded­ the ladder next to the French window. “I may recall something and share with you. For today, I’m occupied otherwise. Let me off the hook please.”

“Occupied with what is the million-dollar question!” Samyu plunged to sitting position, the ruffle of sheets conveying her spiked curiosity. “You’re attacking him with Sari pe Sari. What’s the plan? Extract a proposal out of him before you leave? That is, if you haven’t gotten one last night as you insist I believed.”

“Does Sasi aunty really has something to tell me?” Jodha asked seriously. “Or did you call me only to play detective?”

“Yes, she has. I think it’s about the invitations. And don’t believe for a second that you could swerve me. You avoiding the topic is typical telltale sign that I hit close to the mark. What happened? Did he really propose? OMG Jo… I can’t wait to hear it.”

“Uh please! Don’t wait because there is nothing for me to say and for you to hear.” Turning the speaker on, Jodha left the phone on the ladder’s seat and scouted for the measuring tape and pencil. “Now go find aunty. You’re on speaker. Behave!”

“How did he propose?” Samyu prodded excited, deaf to her pal’s warning. “Did he go down on knees? Was he poetic Jo? Or was it a simple, no-nonsense I love you? Did he kiss...OMG?" Samyu blushed, as if she's the one who got kissed. "On the lips? Deets Jo… fxcking deets!”

This girl! Gritting her teeth, Jodha checked on the surroundings. “Which part of ‘you’re on speaker’ don’t you get idiot?” She hissed, climbed up the ladder and killed the handsfree.

“Oh…is he around?” The devil-may-care girl's exuberance spiked instead of feeling chastised. “Give it to him. I’ll hear from the man himself. You’ve become a fxcking liar and a traitor. I don’t know why all girls become ‘ajnabii’s to their friends as soon as they land a man." She whined on behalf of all single women. "Such a disgrace to female fraternity you love sick women are!”

“Great speech! Whistle worthy!" Jodha thwarted totally unbothered. "Go on with it while I conference Krishna uncle. Let him hear firsthand his daughter’s revolutionary ideologies and refined English! After all, he too must know that the strict Kendriya Vidyalaya schooling he had coveted for his daughter didn't go waste. One sec, ha!”

“Fxcking…” Samyu’s buoyancy tapered off seeing the doorknob twist. “Spoilsport.” She finished under her breath and smiled innocently at the woman storming in with death glares. “Here, Jodha is on the line. I woke up long back. I was about to take bath and come down for Puja, but Jodha got me late with her stupid chatter.” She handed over the phone to Sasi, mock-bowed to her mother and disappeared into the bathroom.

“Hey Jodhu. Good morning. Had breakfast? I know you will not appreciate this first thing in the morning, but yesterday Rao uncle, Srini uncle and we talked and…”

Sasi updated on how the one-year anniversary preparation committee aka the family friends, deemed it appropriate to invite some of Raghu's old clients too for the ceremony. Oh! More people! Great! Pinching between her brows, the vexed girl zoned out of Sasi's coaxing. A somber ceremony with a tightknit group, far away from Hyderabad was a battle she had lost long ago. When the prep talks had initiated, she was very vocal about her wish - to her foster parents and to the extended family who had willfully volunteered to shoulder the entire event - but she was vetoed against it citing social obligations.

All the friends, relatives, acquaintances will be looking forward to one last opportunity to commemorate your parents Jodha! Everyone had argued. We can’t deny them that window.

Forcing her attention back to Sasi's updates, Jodha sighed. How is she to explain these people that she is so NOT looking forward to another round of the grief, of the gatherings and of the empty sympathies!

Exhaling deep, Jodha jettisoned the bleakness with a firm shake.

Tomorrow! She turned the speaker on and tucked the phone it into her waist, upside down so that the call doesn’t disconnect and set to her work. Today she will be only cheerful!

“Jodhu…wait. Uncle is calling. I’ll be right back.” Sasi left the call on so Jodha didn’t bother to end and got occupied with marking the wall. Amidst the buzz of vacuum cleaners from the hallways and her own thoughts, the engrossed lady missed hearing the door clicks.

“My my! You’re a persistent performer!”

Jalal’s voice startled her out of the meditative silence.

“Is this another portrayal of choli ke peeche? Drench it till it turns translucent and reveal whatever is beneath!”

Clenching the wall to secure her spooked footing, Jodha winced under her breath.

“If I hear that dratted ‘choli ke peeche’ once again…” She mightily turned, wielding the pencil like a spear and…

Her fuse blew!

Holy…Moly! Her mouth fell apart, beholding the towel-clad man casually drying his hair with another towel.

Her throat bobbed, her eyes taking in every inch of his presence. Such lucent skin, tempest locks, shaven jaw, carved pecs, sculpted abs, polished calves, and boythose toes! The pencil feared snapping into two under her death grip, thence it nipped her thumb reminding the girl of its existence.

Pink and delicious - like freshly baked strawberry cheesecake. Who knew bare feet of a man could be such a turn on? Her eyes shut as a reflex to an assault.

Strawberry cheesecake? Aww.. how romantic! The ever-ready sarcasm smacked from within. Not just your senses, your vocabulary too hit rock bottom. Kudos!

Well! Not my fault that he looks the part! Her body rebelled in defense. Remember? We are warm-blooded species.

Resistance! And distance! Sensibility chastised the wayward senses. Two key weapons to fight this manslaughter. Girl… think how silly it would be if your obituary read – ‘Jodha Akkineni, Aged 25. Died from overdose of toe fetish!’

No freaking way! Jodha determinedly opened her eyes.

“Whichever school taught you that a navy-blue fabric turns transparent when wet, you should sue it.” She touched the semiwet locks darkening her blouse at the back. “And no! This not an extended demo of that blasted song. Just a courtesy of someone who killed my alarm, didn’t bother to wake me up and deprived me of the luxury of elaborated hair drying. But look at me. An hour late and still standing in six yards of clothing and look at you!” She schooled him with atop-to-toe sweep of pencil. “Ever heard of propriety of presenting oneself before a lady?”

“Propriety?” Jalal’s hand paused drying. “In bedroom? Whichever school taught you that propriety belongs in bedroom, you should sue it. The last time I checked, this is still a bedroom – my vacant bedroom, if I may add. And what would that make you, my lady?!” He countered with hands on hips. “Ever heard of infringement?”

“Infringing? Me?” Jodha slammed the pencil to her heart. “Oh! I’m sorry sir. I didn’t know I wasn’t welcome here.” She bunched the Sari pleats, making a show of stepping down. “During the day anyway, since you didn’t seem to have a problem bringing me here last night. Looks like all infringement policies are relaxed in the night and reinforced in the day. Now, if you please,” she hand gestured at him to move out of the way. “I’ll leave and wait by the door for His Highness’s permission.”

“Who started it first? You lecture me on impropriety as if coming out of a shower in a towel is an offense?! What were you expecting? That I’d step out in a three-piece suit…oh… wait… I get it now.” His head bobbed in empathy. “You are going for ‘goods-in-boxers’ look and are disappointed that I covered the show with a thirty-inch towel, isn’t it? Don’t lose heart darling, there are still boxers beneath. I can remove the towel and present you the view.” He generously offered, his hands going to his hip.

“What…no!” Jodha screamed, palming her eyes shut.

Goods in boxers and strawberry cheese cake – what a poetic flair both of them have! Duh! Truly made for each other!

“I wasn’t going for ‘any’ look. Don’t put words into my mouth.” She protested, her reddened cheeks a testimony to her embarrassment. “I’ve got things to do and no time to waste. Do you still need that privacy, or shall I continue with my work?”

“As long as your propriety doesn’t object to this.” Jalal swept at himself.“Because I’m in no mood for a wet head induced headache. You need help?”

“With what?” Jodha asked suspicious, opening one eye.

“With drying you up.” He offered innocent. “Because you said I’m the reason you’re wet.”

Reminder to self: Google synonyms of wet.

Jodha flung him a sharp glance, not blindsided by his seemingly plain remark. “No thank you. I’d rather it airdried and stained the blouse in the process than accept your help. Remember the curfew? You are not allowed anywhere near three feet of my perimeter.” She drew a circle around her in air.

“Even when the cake is cut?”

“Even then!”

“So, we feed cake to each other three feet apart? How does that work?”

“I’ll show you how when the time comes!”

“And for the drive to Four wheels?”

“I’ll take the back seat!”

“Aha!” Jalal grew pensive, taking a top to bottom note of her. The sunlight streaming from the window on Jodha’s right accentuated the Orangish glow of the Sari framing a golden-orange halo around her. The navy-blue blouse hug her torso proudly as if bragging about a job well done – of bringing the creaminess out of her complexion and of drawing the viewer’s attention to the accented curves.

She stands before me gobble-worthy and imposes a touch-me-not curfew! So not done!

“Explain me the rules here. I can do anything outside the three feet perimeter but not a single decent touch is allowed?! Like I may talk dirty, ogle inappropriately like Madam Highness herself did but shouldn’t lay even a fingernail on you, is that it? Neither directly nor with a prop like that phone, for example...” He pointed at her midsection, “which by the way is the luckiest bast*rd in the world right now, because it gets to fxck your waist while I don’t get to …”

“Sh*t! Sh*t! Sh*t! Sh*t! Sh*t! Sh*t! Sh*t!”

“What?” Jalal watched puzzled as the horrified girl frenetically yanked the said bast*rd out of her waist and to her ear.

Chup! Jodha commanded his absolute silence and held her breath. Baba! Baba! Baba…She chanted incessantly waiting for Sasi’s murderous inquest, but even after twentynail biting seconds, she heard nothing.

“That was close!” Jodha exhaled in sheer relief. “I was talking to Sasi aunty.” She killed the call hastily and explained to the stupefied man. “She kept me waiting and went to attend to Krishna uncle. I was too lazy to leave to it by the window and tucked it here. The speaker must have turned off at some point; it could’ve ended the call instead. Useless touchscreens! Always working unfavorably. Last night, when I didn’t want to pick your call, it grew a brain of its own and connected the call. Now it didn’t disconnect when it should. Imagine Sasi aunty or worse Samyu had heard you! Gosh! She’d have skinned me alive for bluffing not ten minutes ago…”

“What did you bluff about?”

“Ah...nothing.” She waved off. “Typical Samyu’s wild goose chase for juicy gossip.”

“Hmm!” Pinning her with a steady stare, Jalal trekked ahead. “And you didn’t want to pick my call last night?”

Sh*t again! She bit on her tongue for the unwarranted slip.

“Are you saying madam that you heard the rings, you saw my name flashing, you knew that I was returning your thirty-some frigging calls and yet, you didn’t want to answer it?”

“Hey...hold on!” Jodha put her palms up, stopping him from assuming the worst. “Yes, I didn’t want to, but not out of spite or pettiness. It was because…” she paused, hesitant to state the truth. “It was all a complicated mess. We don’t have to go into details but trust me when I say I had no malicious intentions. I had actually hinted at my reasons last night but looks like it went all over your head. Not your fault though – I spoke too much in a stride to make heads or tails out of it.”

“What did I miss last night?” Jalal asked, rooting his hands on either side of the ladder seat, blatantly breaking the three-feet rule. “Try me again. I’m all ears.”

“What…no! Last night’s mad rant was more than enough. And what are you? My counselor?That you want to hear the same thing over and again and grade my craziness? Not happening.”

Jalal stood unfazed, confirming what she already knew –that the discussion is non-negotiable!

“Please!” Jodha kneeled down, attempting at one last bargain. “Don’t be stubborn Jalal. You don’t have to know every nonsense in here.” She tapped her head. “And it’s ridiculous too. I don’t want to talk about it.”

“What if you were me?” Jalal tilted his head and calmly stated, waiting till the unwilling listener processed his question.

“What if…” He repeated. “… you were me?! Wouldn’t you want to know? Will you be okay if I chose to avoid you and decide against offering an explanation? Is that how you want me to operate? Because the way I see it, it goes both ways.”

Jodha sighed at loss of a defense.

If I were you. She tore her gaze from him. Four simple words but puts everything into perspective. But how does one explain insane things without sounding lunatic? What should she fabricate that is closer to the truth but not so sentimental?

She twiddled on her haunches uncomfortably. Her eyes met with his and her discomfort grew.

Can’t believe she is considering humoring him in the first place. All because of those dark pools incanting a spell on her.

She darted him a stern glare.

“I’m so wrong. You could very well be a counselor!” Jodha flicked her palm, signing him to step back. “A future career option in case you get tired of cars.” She flicked her hand again and seeing the gesture lost on him, she pushed him with the phone. “Move man. Remember?! Three feet apart.”

“No, I didn’t signoff on that clause.” Jalal confiscated her phone. “Zero touching’ was what I had agreed to last night, so I’ll grant you that. Beyond that, you don’t get to decide on how far or…” he rose on toes invading her territory “…how close I stay.”

“You’re all over my space.” Jodha shoved him with the pencil this time and angled back, keeping the infuriating man at her arm length. “Back off! Let me breathe.” She fanned the flaming cheeks with free hand. Seeing him smile sweetly and yet not budge, she pursed her lips.

I know what you’re doing! Jodha poked the pencil deeper. But I won’t let you dupe me with your charms.

“Sss!” Jalal flinched, his upper body lurching away from the sharp graphite. “What?”Jodha asked sitting straight, her gaze then falling onto the blood drop forming on his chest. “Dang it!” Her hand raced to wipe it, but the sassy twist of Jalal’s mouth held her in check.

“It’s not funny!” Jodha frowned, fisting her fingers. Her face scooted to his chest, assessing the damage. “Sorry!” She sighed, sliding the towel dangling from his neck with the pencil. She pressed the cloth over the bruise and firmly held it there. “See this wouldn’t happen if you’re fully clothed. Maybe you should take this as a cue and get dressed?”

“If this is your technique of dodging the topic…” Jalal picked the other end of the towel and resumed mopping his hair. “It’s notworking, FYI!”

“What!” Offended, Jodha gave up the ministrations and settled back. “Forgive me for feeling considerate and trying to help.”

“Forgiven!” Jalal magnanimously swept his hand, egging her to start.

“Firstly, I’m not narrating a suspense thriller that you’ll miss some grand revelation if you moved around a bit. Secondly, we don’t have too much time to waste. You know I can yell across floors, what’s twenty feet of space then? You go and get dressed. I’ll talk from here. Deal?” She directed him towards the closet, in hope of seizing the solitude she needed to gather her wits and forge a story.

“Nah, I need to look at you as you speak!” Jalal stated so poker-faced that Jodha doubted if he’s being serious. “I know why you want to send me away. You can’t lie to my face, so you will lie to my back. If you really need space to align your thoughts, here you go.” He took three steps back and crossed his arms. “But don’t make up a story like your resignation one. We are much past that phase.”

Huh?! Jodha’s face scrunched, feeling stripped by his astuteness. Should she be awed that he knew her too well or insulted that he called her a liar?! Exhausted, she settled on the ladder seat and dangled her feet. She chewed on her lip thoughtfully and Jalal nodded satisfactorily at the shift in her, feeling certain that whatever comes out of her mouth next would be the truth – or as close to truth as possible.

“I didn’t want to take your call because… because I didn’t believe it was you. In my past, few things happened. Few incidents before… oh boy…” she dropped her face into hands. “This is crazy.”

“The thing is… there are some incidents I feel ominous - like calling me Meenu, kulfi treat, midnight, October, unanswered calls, drink and drive etc. When all these abominations come together, according to the past track record they lead to - disaster. Some years ago, I promised Goutham Kulfi treat right before his birthday and that was his last birthday with us. We lost him in a drink and drive accident, as you know. Last October, the night my parents were returning from the wedding, I called my father on his phone. It went unanswered and I didn’t give it much thought. I had Samyu and Priya with me. We were chatting away and slept off without care. Sometime past midnight, I got a call back from my father’s phone.” Her fingers picked on the pallu tassels. “But it wasn’t him. It was the police. Everything was over by then. There was nothing for me to do. But in the following days guilt ate at me. How could I be so laxed? Why didn’t I call them back, again and again, till I got some response? Perhaps I’d have then known sooner that something was fishy. I might have alerted Rao uncle or go in search of them myself. By the time someone had reported the accident and the police responded- two hours had lapsed Jalal. What if all that time my parents were waiting to be noticed, to be rescued? What if dad’s phone was in the car but he couldn’t find it in the dark to call me? Even if it was thrown out, perhaps someone would’ve heard my calls and reacted on time? If only I did something… anything, I would have had some peace today knowing that I tried.”

She sniffed, holding a leash on the grief.

“Two days ago, you called me Meenu. Before that we talked about Kulfi treat, this month is October, last night you were drunk – I mean not ‘drunk-drunk’, but you know… and you didn’t answer my calls. Imagine the DeJa’Vu that hit me! I didn’t know what to do, whom to call, where to look for you, how to ensure you’re okay. It drove me crazy and then the phone rings. I saw your name flashing, but the sinking feeling that engulfed me that moment.” Jodha shook her shoulders, shredding the ill feeling. “I wouldn’t wish that even on my sworn enemy. I kept staring at the screen, but my fingers didn’t move because - what if it is not you? What if it is another policeman? Or a random stranger? What if I never hear your voice again? What if I never get to see you, touch you, hold you? What if the bye Ibid you in the evening was the final one? One swipe would’ve ended the torture, but I lacked the courage to do so Jalal. Also, I didn’t want to take that call because…” she looked away mortified. “Because I thought I was breaking the pattern, the curse, by not picking that call. It’s either good news or bad news only if I answered it. If I didn’t, there is no news. And no news is good enough news for me. As long as I didn’t know, you are safe to me somewhere. I know it’s total bullshit - that whatever had happened doesn’t alter by me answering the call or not, but…but… what to do. Sanity doesn’t become me sometimes.”

Jodha stopped, wishing she could pull a ‘Mr.India’ right then. She knew her each word was being scrutinized. She didn’t dare a glance at Jalal all through her speech, but she felt the heat of his attention on top of her head. She could almost hear the wheels whirring in his head.

He must be thinking what a mess he got himself into. Who in their right mind would willingly associate with a baggage like her who connects senseless dots and conjure theories in her head?

Time came to a standstill as the duo remained absorbed in their thoughts.

“Whatchanged?” Jalal asked cracking the lull. “What made you answer anyway?”

“I didn’t. My stomach did. I sat scooped up like this, if you remember.” She perched her knees up demonstrating the pose. “The phone was in my lap. It got pressed and connected.”

Jalal nodded, recalling her mention something akin to ‘stomachs not talking’ when she had answered. He was in an altogether different frenzy at that time to register itbut now it made sense. He took in her folded form for a good measure and something clicked in.

Pursing his lips, Jalal unlocked her phone and punched in a few numbers.

“Here are Abdul’s, Chetan’s and Prudhvi’s contacts.” He flashed the screen, making Jodha look up. “Call them if ever I’m out of reach or unresponsive.”

Shefirst stared at the screen blankly, later at Jalal and looked away.

Great! That way everyone will come to know what a nutcase she is. Why did he think she didn’t call his friends last night?! Not for lack of contacts, duh! Had she put her mind to it, she’d have gotten their numbers somehow… but what happens next? She’ll be a ridicule alright, but he too will be mocked at for hooking up with a fearful fool like her.

“You regret not trying enough for your parents,” Jalal bridged the gap, his eyes not leaving her even when he placed the phone and the hand towel on the windowsill,“… and yet you held yourself back last night. Look at me Jo.” He waited till her eyes set on him.

“Don’t hesitate to reach out to any of the three of them when you’re uncertain. Don’t bother about being judged because… you’ll not be. Always know that they’ll make themselves available for you as readily as I do.”

Jodha tensed, her eyes popping out in alarm. “Why’d they do that Jalal? Do they pity me? Did you share my past, my complexes with them? Is that why they’ll be so generously at my beck and call?”

“You’re Saradhi ji’s niece. Of course, they’re aware of your losses.” Jalal said evenly. “And no, neither did I share any more details of your past than the generic info they has, nor do they pity you. They’ll look out for you because - you’re mine. And that makes you one of their own­.”

Jodha stared silently, her jaw dropping. One of their own? Is she now? Really?

She thought back to his friends and the rock-solid support they are to Jalal. Forget hearing about their glories from him, didn’t she witness firsthand how readily they came for him at the construction site that night?

Just because she’s Jalal’s, they’ll consider her one of their own?! Without knowing her? Because truly speaking, the one or two times she conversed with them hardly reveals anything about her personality. Still… they will?

She glanced at Jalal, his eyes brimming with indisputable confidence in his friends. Of course, they will. She found her answer in the man before her. Because it’s not about her. It’s all him. After all, isn’t it true that what you give is what you get and what goes around, comes around?

“I’m yours?” She commented lightly, propping a cheek in her left palm. “I don’t remember saying yes.” She playfully slanted forward. The shift in the position brought her closer to him – so close that she could seethe rhythm of his beats speeding. “Actually, I don’t remember being asked at all.” She inched further down - so close that Jalal could count the droplets on her neck. The air around them thickened, infused with the scents of their bodies and with unspent passion. Focused on teasing him, Jodha didn’t notice her feet venturing close to his chest; in fact, so close that if she flexed her toes a little, they’d be soothing the bruise she inflicted.

However, Jalal did!

His gaze shifted to her toes with Jodha following his suit. Peeping out of the navy-blue border, the pedicured toes presented an aesthetic view –so aesthetic that the lover’s blood sizzled.

If only! He yearned. If only he could close his lips around them and take them into his mouth – one. at. a. time! Just an image of Jodha lounging on the ladder and offering him one toe at a time, made him hold the ladder in death grip.

By God! He swore. He would spend an eternity making love to her feet.

Boy! Is he hypnotizing or what? Jodha curled her toes, fighting theurge to lift them to his chest. Please look away! She prayed, his eye-caress almost feeling physical. The thick air now cracked with tension as the duo waited with bated breaths – one for the toes to move and the other to not!

Jalal looked away, the duress having become intolerable. Don’t lose! He forbade his body. Don’t fuxking lose now! He groaned at the uncomfortable shift in his anatomy.

“Nothing to say?”

The ruggedness in her whisper gave a healthy boost to his ego.

Good, at least he’s not alone in this torture.

“I didn’t hear an objection.” He retorted, keeping his desire in check. “Or a rejection. No news is good enough news, someone wise said.”

Jodha shook her head in mirth, taking note of his deliberate use of ‘wise’.

“You sir…” she slowly brought a long lock of her hair forward. “…are an out and out alpha. You…” she brushed over the bruise with the tip of her hair in a feather-light caress. “You don’t ask. You simply take.”

Her fingers moved gently and caringly, her eyes lifting up to him with insurmountable warmth.

Damn it! Jalal’s knuckles whitened, his clasp on the ladder tightening. He knew her game; he knew precisely what the caress was for and what the eye-lock was for.

Great try but not losing to you girl! He held onto the rails with dear life while his mind worked on a befitting rebound.

“You got so accustomed to taking…” her fingers strayed, accidentally sweeping across his nipple. “…that you totally forgot how to ask. You just have to add ‘Will you’ -as simple as that and it becomes a question instead of a declaration." Tremors shot to Jalal’s core as her ministrations returned to the chafe albeit after another ‘accidental’ brush of his nipple. “You should try some time.”

Jalal grunted, pinning her with a warning stare. Tread carefully!

Of course! Jodha acknowledged with a brazen smirk. Learnt from the best!

“You know what goes around comes around, right?” Jalal’s brow hiked, the promise of payback lurking behind his orbs.

“Aha!”Jodha countered him with a raise of her own brows and slowly straightened.“Strange that you mention it,” she coiled the lock seductively around herfinger. “I was thinking about it not so long ago!”

“Good…because now it is my turn.” He took a step back.

“But I don’t have any bruise.” Jodha teasingly drew the lock over her chest. “What’s your excuse?”

“I don’t need an excuse. I’ve lawful right to touch you. Forgot the massage? You broke your own rules with it.”

“What! No!” She became wary, her playfulness evaporating. “Your feet were aching. I felt responsible because I insisted on the dance. You can’t hold against me for being thoughtful.”

“Who said I’m not being thoughtful?” Jalal questioned. “As a responsible interim guardian of you, I’m grateful to your stomach for connecting that call, conveying me your safety, and putting me out of worry. I owe it many thanks.”

“What?” Jodha burst out laughing. “Thank my stomach? Where did that come from?”

“You admitted so! If not for your stomach, you wouldn’t have picked my call, right?”

“Yes, but what does that change? You’d come home anyway.”

“Yes, but like an infuriated hulk.” Jalal explained. “With each second you delayed responding, my panic meter hit a new high. Imagine me approaching you in that furor. How nasty it would have been?”

“Why the panic? What will happen to me? To the one sitting at home?” Realization dawned upon her as she thought out loud. “Oh... you believed I was out searching for you, didn’t you?” She demanded pissed off. “Alone? That too after you forbade me not so kindly just two days ago?”

“Yes!” Jalal agreed unscrupulous. “I did. Why else would you suddenly be off the radar? It’s unlikely that you dozed off after thirty nerve wrecking calls. Also, your allegiance to the matter of your safety is debatable. I still doubt you take it seriously.”

“That’s two insults in a row.” Jodha took offense. “You called me a liar and now mutinous. Your petition for thanks is dismissed.”

“Those are mere truths, not insults and you can’t dismiss my rights. If you insist on being unfair, I’ll be rule-breaker too.” Jalal gave heads-up.

“But you agreed to it last night.” Jodha stubbornly reminded his promise, with a thorough imitation. ‘Okay darling resistance! Your game, rules!’

“Of course! Why else do you think I’m having this conversation with you from three feet away?” Jalal reasoned. “I’m playing my part as the gentleman that I am. Be fair and play yours.”

“Okay fine. You may thank me without touching.” She gave up, finding it a moot argument. “Keeping the massage out of the equation, which doesn’t count as 'touching' anyway, I haven’t laid a finger on you today. You too will do the same. If you insist on touching instead, accept your defeat and proceed. I won’t object. But you can’t tease me ever. You get a count of ten to decide.”

Jalal’s brows furrowed, studying the finger-ticking girl. By the time she reached eight, his brows relaxed, a telltale sign that his mind is made up.

“Remove your hair clip.” He instructed. “Clip those top pleats out of my way.”

“Huh? Why?”

“I need an unobstructed view of my target.” Jalal ordained like a military commander. “Feet down and lean back please.”

“What?” She clutched the pleats. “I’m doing no such thing. Whatever portion is visible, make do with it. What are you planning anyway?”

“My thanks… my way. You don’t get to object so long as I don’t lay a finger.” He picked her phone from the sill and went to retrieve his. When he returned and saw her sitting like a statue, he warned. “I will wait here all day till you cede Jo. Your call.”

Rolling eyes at his threat, Jodha unfolded her body. She untucked the pallu, bunched the front pleats away from her stomach and clipped them to the blouse edge on the right, all the while feeling eerie at baring on his watch. She glanced down and cringed at the exposed arena, heat rushing to her neck.

“Good…now hold onto the ladder and lean back a little.”

She did as decreed, sullenly bracing for the doom of her restrain. Tread carefully! He had warned. If only she wasn’t unnecessarily audacious.

“Which part of the stomach connected the call?” Jalal asked irritating the grumpy girl.

“Who knows ya…who knows? Who will note all those details while half-dead in fear?”

Jalal smiled as if that’s all he needed to hear. “Alright then. Close your eyes and focus.” He waited till she obeyed and set her phone to vibration mode. He dialed her number from his and softly placed the vibrating device on the right curvature of her waist.

“Woah!” The unprepared girl’s body jerked, nearly falling onto him. “What are you doing?” She peeped at the jiggling cold metal.

“Told you to hang on tight.” Jalal paused, motioning her to settle back. “Now relax, concentrate on the phone’s movement and stop me when you recall the exact spot it was in last night.”

“But that isn’t stomach.” Jodha protested. “It’s called waist. Did you skip science classes in first grade or what?”

“Too late, sweetheart.” He shrugged. “You should’ve thought that before saying –‘who knows’!” His mobile clad left palm swept at the creamy stretch. “Now all of this... is my search range. There is no guarantee that you didn’t mistake waist for stomach in fear!”

“Come on boss!” Jodha tried reasoning. “I’m not that deranged!”

The smug man simply darted a look, a reminder of why this predicament started in the first place.

Of course! Jodha groaned perceiving hismeaning. Wasn’t it her deranged logic that prevented her from pickingthe call?

“I know what you’re at!” She cast him an accusing stare, seeing through his ruse for what it is – payback!

“I won’t give you the satisfaction you’re going for.”

Jutting her chin, she steeled herself for the onslaught.

Hands locked! She clenched the ladder rings.

Feet tied! She entwined her ankles with extra force.

Mouth shut! She pursed her lips with supple strength.

Bring it on!

Jalal snickered, reveling in her defiance. If only she knew how arousing her rebellious self is!

He resumed maneuvering the phone on her skin – his movements slow and sedate. He glided its sleek edge along the contour of her midsection, on all four sides – left, up, right and down – marking the circumference of his playground.

Resist! Jodha chanted, through every muscle dip.

Resist! She chanted through every stomach flip.

Resist! She chanted through every brush beneath the blouse line.

Resist! She chanted through every sweep above the naval line.

Has to give it to you, girl! Jalal paused for a moment marveling at her grit. Her eyes were closed, so she’s unaware of the erotic picture she presented, with heaving chest and curling toes, but Jalal wasn’t blind. With every sensual expression she manifested, his body roared, his limbs coveting to consume her. At a point, he couldn’t discern if he’s teasing her or himself, yet the pleasure of arousal was too captivating to cease.

Upping the game, Jalal angled his face across her midsection, adding his hot breaths to the phone’s cold touches. The device metamorphosed into a geometrical compass in his hand, as he parked its edge on the center of her abdomen and rotated it in slow circles – so insanely light and feathery that her resistance snapped.

An involuntary ‘oh’ slipped past her parted lips, giving a breakthrough to the perseverant player.

“Does this feel right?” He breezed, his husk feeling like a scrape of whiskers against her skin.

“Can’t decide?” Jalal smirked at the lack of response. “No rush… take your time!”

His face scooted nearer to her stomach, so near that he could inhale the heat of her flushed skin. “It might be here,” he thrust the petticoat a little down revealing the naval. His breath wafted over the unveiled treasure and Jodha visibly shuddered. In her vision, she saw his mouth dangling above her naval -like the elusive grapes and her libido jumped - like the proverbial fox to seize them. Her legs shifted, encapsulating Jalal’s torso in their ironclad grip - throwing her caution, her chanting, and her tenacity to wind.

There you are! The player in him beamed satisfied, but themale in him demanded for more.

“Or here…” He pressed on a tender spot left to her naval, pushing her body to the breaking point. “…or here” – another slow sweep to the right, to the most sensitive spot and Jodha broke.

“Yes”. Her feet attested with a firm tug of his body, her chest adding to the confession with its feverish rhythm.

“Here?” Jalal prolonged the gesture, meticulously and deliberately, and Jodha rasped astring of impatient ‘mms’ - not caring to what she is admitting to.

“You sure?” The naughty player mumbled, desire thickening his voice. “Jo…” Hecommanded her affirmation with a gentle puff over the spot, until his pawnthrummed in response.

“As you say!” Jalal’s left palm clenched, punching the thigh. He let out a deep exhale, feeling the sweat trickling down his spine despite the centralized airconditioning. God! He shut his eyes, slapping his thigh some more. Never did he anticipate a day would come when he’s willing to wager away a limb in a heartbeat, just for the allowance to touch a woman. The heat his hips were entrapped in, the writhing on his back, her florid midriff that begged for a taste, the stiff peaks beneath the blouse that encouraged a deeper exploration. Fuxk! He shook his head to clear the addled brain.

How he could subscribe to a lifetime of slavery, if only he was permitted to touch her right now. And my… touch he would, till both the bodies combusted in flames of desire.

Breathe! Breathe! Breathe!

Jalal willed for control, a conscious inhale and exhale regulating his breath. In the silence that ensued, he heard the door knock but before he could muster his voice to issue a command, he perceived the door being opened. He quickly turned, throwing a fiery stare at the young maids barging in with cleaning supplies. They blanched, hastily apologized and scurried away, closing the doo rafter them. Huffing out a breath, he turned back taking in the panorama of his blissfully ignorant flustered girl. Her lips are still fiercely bit, her feet terse on his back and he damned himself.

You will hate me for this! He offered a mental apology for pushing her to zenith and abandoning her there. Bringing the agony to an end, he laid the phone screen flat over her naval, and pressed his lips to the cool steel - the closest he could get to a direct contact. He then kissed loud, as if stamping his gratitude.

“Thank you, sweetling.” His rumble skimmed over her skin like molten chocolate. “I owe you big time.” His voice dipped. “This is not the thanks I had in mind for you, but don’t worry. I will repay you in kind. Not once but every day of my wake and that’s…” he kissed one more time. “That’s a Jalal Ahmed promise for you!”

He let out a breath and stood back, leaving her phone as is, as if allowing it a private moment with its owner.

~~

~~

Done? Jodha ran her tongue over the lower lip, soothing the sting. The lonely chills of glass, unaccompanied by the warmth of his breaths attested that his hell-of-thanks is finally done.

Sitting over a tandoor oven would have been less torturous than this! She pressed her hot cheek to the shoulder, hoping the blouse to cool her down. The silk, however, having simmered by the skin beneath, blistered the cheek in return.

Repay in kind every day?! She straightened up, seizing the phone before it crashed to the ground. Then she’ll perpetually live in hell’s inferno!

She scoured a sweaty palm over her eyes, relishing in the coolness against the scorching skin. She knew Jalal must be waiting with his signature smirk to taunt at her smutty sounds, but she took a moment to pat herself. Holding ground and not leaping at him through out that whirlwind tornado… She pressed the pads of fingers to eyelids. That alone should fetch her ‘Most Resistant Maiden of the Earth’ title.

“I am so right.” She opened her heavy lids to him. “You should be barricaded with iron gates and all and not be allowed anywhere near me.” She jibed, noticing how close his face was to her stomach, now that she’s positioned upright. Her playful gaze slid down to her legs and the cheer diminished.

What in the world! Her pupils dilated seeing his hips stuck to her core. “My feet?!” She shrieked. “When did they move?”

“Perhaps when the thanks became irresistible?” Jalal suggested mildly. “Don’t worry. I’ll feign ignorance if you prefer I don’t call out on this second exemption.”

Jodha clamped her mouth shut, incredulously checking her attire. The silk pooled between her thighs, erotically baring her calves. Her exposed midriff left nothing to anyone’s imagination. Her free hair cascaded down her chest in two partitions, like rivulets separating from a river. Overall, she appeared like ac-grade actress on an adult movie wallposter.

How vulgar! Her heart sank, all the excitement of the thanks leaving her. Did she really hold him to her core while foolishly assuming that everything is under control? She unfolded her legs posthaste. And obscene moans to top it?! Shame engulfed her. What if someone saw?

She paled seeing their glowing bodies under sunlight. The window is open. Anybody passing through the balcony can clearly spot them. With she leaning back and he slanted over her stomach, what would it look like? Like he’s kissing her there.. at her… chi… chii... chii!

The twenty-five years of conservative upbringing refused to come to terms with the picture.

She unclipped the front pleats and twisted her hair into a chaste bun. Allowing her space to move about, Jalal retracted a few feet and watched her actions curiously.

Such a grand open show idiot! Jodha pulled her feet up and hauled the Sari over her toes. Open windows, unlocked doors, broad daylight. You might as well have stripped and made it complete!

Just then a new doubt entered her mind terrifying her further. She craned her neck towards the main entrance but the closed doors hinted at nothing.

Didn’t someone knock earlier? Was that her imagination or…?

“What?” Jalal asked, following her gaze.

“Did anyone knock or come in? That is when you… we…” she trailed off awkwardly.

Jalal bit his tongue, taking a moment to weigh the wisdom of letting her aware, but the subtle pause was adequate for the smart woman.

“They did!" She voiced it for him, color leaving her face.

“Not a big deal sweetheart.” Jalal’s assurance fell deaf on the bothered girl’s ears.

Just the scandal she needed on last day! Her head dropped to her knees and her arms encapsulated her legs, squishing her body into a ball of shame.

“Hey careful.” Jalal rushed to her side, seizing her shoulder before she fell. “Come down.” He tried to scoop her into his arms but Jodha refused.

“No. Let me be.” She latched onto the ladder ring until Jalal’s hands receded.

“You might fall.” He warned worried over her precarious seating.

“Just two minutes.” She blinked her fingers. “I’ll be okay.”

“Jo… nothing happened. The cleaning staff were barely for a second here. They must not have seen anything. And even if they did, they know when to unsee and unhear.” Jalal consoled. “Don’t fret over it.”

If Jodha had heard him, she didn’t honor it with a response.

Sighing, Jalal awaited the two minutes she had asked for. Seeing no effort on her side to unwind or to acknowledge his presence, Jalal cautioned her once again about the seating and left to get dressed, giving her the much-needed space and time.

~~

~~

~~

Hardly a second! If only he knew that it’s more than enough for the maids to confirm their theories around her presence in his home and feed their fantasies over what they must be doing every night.

Jodha rubbed her face against her knees. She didn’t know how long it had been after Jalal had left, but the moping that started right after his attempt at consolation didn’t seem to stop any sooner. A variegated versions of the maids walking in on them, the juicy kitchen gossip that must have started, the known looks she’ll be subjected to when she goes down plagued her mind. Making matters worse, the envisions were followed by innumerous ‘what-ifs’ and ‘if only-s’ - nibbling at her sanity, chunk by chunk.

If only he knew that tongues must be wagging already and that ears are getting filled. If only he knew it won’t be long when his parents, his mother especially, will come to hear of it. Then what? She sniffled, wiping the mist out of her eyes. Saradhi’s niece will fall from sanskari to sl*t in a second. What have you done girl?

Sitting up, Jodha kneaded her forehead. Fifteen years of acquaintance Badepapa has with this family. And you tainted it in five minutes?! Will his parents have any respect for her and for her upbringing if they come to know of her broad daylight affairs with their son? What if they decide she’s characterless? What if they disapprove of her for Jalal? What if they think that she and her family set a trap for their son? Forget going that far… will she be able to look them in the eye this very afternoon when they arrive here?!Oh God!

She held her head in vicious grip, fearing it’d explode. She could hear Jalal from the closet, talking on his phone and she knew he’s due out any minute from now. It was a phone. She swept her face one last time and picked the drill. A bloody phone. He didn’t even lay a finger and she had lost her marbles?! Damn her!

She angrily drove the first nail in.

Why couldn’t he cut her some slack and let her be? She knew she’s weak… that she cannot resist him. That much must be obvious to him too when she tried to keep him at bay with silly rules. And still he had to adamantly approach her to debunk her claims?!

The second nail slinked in.

Jodha pumped her arms up holding the last nail and sensed Jalal approaching. Her frustration spiked and the result…

Dang it! She cursed at the crookedly angled nail.

With a deep breath, she proceeded to tackle the nail when Jalal stopped by the ladder amused.

“Need help with that?”

Not sharing his amusement, Jodha remained unresponsive, seriously unscrewing the bent nail.

Jalal’s eyebrows furrowed at her uncanny silence. “You still upset about earlier Jo?” He asked and scooted to her right seeking his own answers.

“You are!” He affirmed taking in her frowning face. “I told you not to worry about…”He was interrupted by the unfastened nail that flung at the unsuspecting girl’s forehead.

“You okay?” His hand automatically rose. “Come here. Let me see.”

“I’m okay.” Ignoring his help, Jodha brushed the debris off her eyebrow and picked a different nail.

If only flicking off humiliation is as effortless as flicking off dust!

She proceeded to drill in the last one and Jalal’s palm fisted, his eyes thinning at her evasion.

“You don’t want to talk about it?” Jalal asked and when her head swayed sideways, he retracted sighing.

He waited till the last nail is done and Jodha powered off the drill. “What do you want me to do?” He stated calmly. “How am I supposed to convince you that you’re upset over nothing?”

Jodha sharply turned to him, her nostrils flaring. “It might be nothing to you because you don’t have anything to lose. But it’s not nothing to me!”

“Why?” He asked in genuine concern. “What do 'you' have to lose?”

Shaking head at him like ‘you won’t understand’, Jodha stepped down the ladder. With her back to him, she secured the drill in its case and began gathering other paraphernalia when Jalal reiterated from behind. “Come on. Tell me Jo, what do you...”

“Don’t Jo me now!” The frustrated girl turned back impassioned. “You’re the master of this house; moreover, a male. You’ll never have anything to lose. Even if they saw you in the most compromising situation, there won’t be any gossip about it. I, as a woman and as an outsider to this home unfortunately, don’t exercise that privilege. It’s easy for you to say - ‘No big deal, they won’t talk’ - but you wanna bet this ladder-leela must be the hot topic going on downstairs now? Hotter than the Dosas Vasantha must be making. And you think its going to stop there? No.” She slumped against the wall deflated. “I can bet Ameena aunty will hear of it before the day ends. And then… and then what? What will she think of me? Badepapa sending me here as it is must have been weird to her. Now this gossip. Gone is the sweet natured girl she first met."

She brushed off the humiliation threatening to dribble down her left cheek.

"Why did you come at me, Jalal? What were you trying to prove with that thanks? Tha tI’m weak… that I’ve zero resistance to you, which by the way, you too knew, but are hellbent on showing mirror to my face, aren't you? You know what. You win. Tell me this… how long did I last? Five seconds? Ten seconds? You’re so meticulously observant about everything, right? You must have timed when my feet moved too. Where do I stand in your track record, sir? Am I the fastest one to succumb in your history of women? God…” she stomped her mouth shut. “Why am I even blaming you when I was the one who goaded you into this? I brought this upon myself without a care to the consequences. Oh, how I wish I could disappear this instant! Interacting with your parents while constantly dreading their judgement… damn! What was I thinking - throwing caution to wind and recklessly rutting like a sl*t behind unlocked doors for the world to see…”

“Enough!”

Jalal’s thunderous rumble brought her tirade to an abrupt end. The offended man breathed deep, furling and unfurling his fingers, nails digging into and out of his skin, a staunch attempt at not losing his cool. “You don’t have to sl*t -shame yourself on my account, Jodha.” He sternly forbade. “You might be seeing only ‘I’, ‘me’, ‘mine’ in this situation but to me, ‘we’ are in this together. To think that your reputation will be blemished in this house and to think that I’ll allow it to happen…” his head shook in disbelief. “When I said that the staff won’t talk, they won’t, because they come from highly professional agencies. They know their wagging tongues cost them their job and they are trained day in and day out to not forget it. The fact that my parents didn’t get wind of the disagreements in my previous marriage until I broke the news to them must be testimonial enough for you. Even if they talk…” he exhaled looking away. “… the woman whom you believe to judge characters based off of house-help’s gossip…trust me, she’s wiser than that. If she hears about you, she's going to hear about me too and she isn't so blindsided by her motherly love either to reserve judgement exclusively for you and eliminate me out of the equation. As for your stay here, she is aware of the Delhi mishap. She resonates with your Badepapa’s insecurities behind sending you here. And to not forget, she’s my mother. The way I take your name must be conclusive enough for her motherly instincts. Deducing what you mean to me, I don’t think she’ll make haste in forming opinions. Yet, if you so dread facing my parents, they won’t be here, in this house. I’ll keep them away from you until I hand over you to Saradhi ji in the evening. Stay assured.”

He looked up at the stunned girl, the intensity in his eyes tugging at her heartstrings.

“Don’t believe for a second that you goaded me into anything. You’ve got nothing to blame yourself for. Contrary to your belief, I don’t have a ‘track record’ or a 'history' with women. Neither do I time my women nor do I take pride in their submission. You asked why I came at you, right? It’s because of this.” He lifted his hands, punctuating them with a shake. “The unsatiated need to hold you. I will never get enough of you and now I see what a detrimental debility it is.”

He backed off, his palms still up.

“You asked for zero touching, didn’t you? Done!”

With one final glance, Jalal turned on his heels and left –every stride laced with determination of distancing from her.

Dab…dab… dab!

Jodha gaped numbly, her eyes not leaving the path he walked away. It took her mind some moments to process what he had said, and the significance behind them.

You asked for zero touching, didn’t you! Done!

No! No! No! I didn’t mean it that way. I was censuring myself… for my lack of control, not you! Oh… Jalal…

Tears brimmed her eyes making the path ahead bleary!

~~

Twenty-five minutes and still no sound of him. What if he left without me?

Jodha sealed the eye liner hastily and placed it back in the pouch. Some minutes after Jalal had strode out, leaving the door open, the cleaning staff came in. Still standing in the same position where Jalal had left her, Jodha looked at the staff in the eye, bracing for sly smiles. The staff, however, greeted her normally, just like Jalal had proclaimed and volunteered to hang up the portrait. Requesting them to clear the ladder and tools after her, Jodha dashed out in search of Jalal. Not finding him anywhere, she returned to her room, allowing herself some introspection time. She quickly fixed her hair into a simple hairdo, re-draped her Sari and dabbed whatever minimal make up was required to make her presentable. No matter how much she had hastened, it took her twenty-five minutes to tidy up, each minute of which were spent on how to explain herself to Jalal and how to apologize to him for implicating many things, especially of his parents, that she didn’t mean to.

No grand opening statement came to her mind, nor did two coherent sentences that’d convey him how sorry she is. Giving up the effort, she decided to bank on honesty and truthfulness.

She’ll simply stand before him and follow the course her heart would take.

Stacking the previous night’s clothes away, she scanned the room to confirm nothing else was strewn around and looked for her phone. Remembering that she had last left it in Jalal’s room, she picked the jhumkas and dashed out.

Breakfast? The aroma from the kitchen stalled her. Maybe he’s eating? She scurried down, utterly displeased with herself. Alas… what had she planned and what's going on? She rushed to the dining, hoping she still had chance for that cake to be cut – that way his first morsel of the day would be something from her.

To her utter disappointment, Jalal wasn’t seen at dining either, worrying her more. She gathered the cake from the fridge and sprinted back upstairs appealing to her divine friend for mercy. Let him be in… please! She collected her breath and entered his bedroom and voila...

The vacant room mocked at her but the rings of phone fanned her hope.

Maybe its him! She broke into a run for her phone. Unwitting to face her, he might be calling her?! She stopped by the bed and seeing the caller's name, her enthusiasm depleted like air out of a balloon.

Peddamma?

Instead of answering Prameela, the wishful girl first scrolled through the texts and call log to see if Jalal had tried to contact her. Nope! There were only missed calls from Prameela, Saradhi and Ranga too, but none from the expected man. She sat on the bed, taking a moment to calm her nerves and then swiped the screen to right.

“Where were you Jodhu? For how long I’ve been calling you.” Prameela complained about her calls going unanswered for nearly half an hour.

“Sorry Maa…I left the phone somewhere and just now found it.” She switched onto speaker mode, dropped the cake aside and picked up an earring. “What’s up?”

“I called to tell you that Badepapa is in flight right now. He’s returning from Bombay.”

“Huh?” Her fingers stalled mid action. “To Bangalore or to Tirupati? He’s supposed to come in the evening, right?”

“To Bangalore. He said he'll cancel the Tirupati tickets. His junior called two hours ago saying that Papa had been vomiting since last night, perhaps from food poisoning. They gave him anti-biotics and looks like the vomiting had stopped but to be safe, his assistants booked the first available flight and are sending him back. He should be home in two hours depending on the traffic. I called you to tell this but you didn't answer, so I called Ranga to come and get you. He must be on the way now. While going home buy some idly dough, fruits, coconut water and curd. Ranga’s wife will send curries later but give Papa only idly and curd rice today. Take him to our family doctor. Your papa will refuse saying he’s alright but must insist. I too am planning to start after lunch. Abhi, Suguna's younger son came from Singapore yesterday. I asked him to book a taxi for me. Suguna’s sister’s family is also here. They’ll take care of her from now on…”

Jodha sat aghast, her mind slow to process this new found information. Ranga is coming?! The screw of the left jhumka sliddown. Like right now?

“Jodhu there?”

“Yes.”Jodha wetted her lips. “Yes Maa! So, you’re saying I must go home now?” She repeated in case she misheard the first time.

“Yes. Ranga will be there in another ten to twenty minutes. He’ll wait till you pack. Is Jalal there? Give him the phone. Its only proper that I inform him of this change in schedule. I’ve to properly thank him too for hosting you.”

“Jalal?” She looked up. “I don’t think he is here. I’ll… ” The uncertain girl stopped, seeing the much-anticipated man standing to her farther right. Their eyes met, both studying each other for a beat. Surmising from his stance that he had heard the news, Jodha listlessly extended the phone towards him. After exchanging pleasantries, Prameela relayed the news to him, thanked him profusely on her and Saradhi’s behalf for taking care of Jodha in their absence and enquired about his parents – to all which Jodha remained a silent spectator, her fingers absently tossing the fallen screw.

A strange reticence consumed her, the knowledge of an impromptu end to her temporary stay having begun to slowly sink in. She perceived the call being disconnected but she sat withdrawn, not even looking up at Jalal to gauge his reaction.

Oh…how I wish I disappeared this minute! She had foolishly begged. And ta-da! Here comes the wish granted at jet speed! Stupid, idiot, duffer of first order… to jinx her own haven!

Jalal sighed, looking at the girl toying with something tiny. Yet again… she was bestowed with what she had prayed for. Shouldn't she be glad that she doesn’t have to worry about facing anyone now? And shouldn't he be glad for her that she got what she had wished for?! He rubbed the antsy feeling off his chest. He knew that things are not normal between them, that both of them are wary of how to approach each other and that it’s only a matter of hours before she left, still, if it were up to him, he'd chose those strained few hours with her over this rushed farewell.

Jodha stopped fidgeting with the screw and lifted it up for inspection. She is well aware that there is no point putting it on, so her fingers moved to remove the jhumka but stopped.

He had asked her for one thing. To stand by him! And she couldn’t fulfill even that. Biting on her lip, she screwed the jhumka into place. She might have only a few minutes left with him but let him see that she had meant to be there for him!

She looked up, her heart beat raising. “That’s a googly I didn’t see coming!” She said, attempting at half smile.

Jalal half-nodded.

“Badepapa will need me.”

He nodded.

“Thankfully he’s okay. Sending him back was a good call.”

He nodded.

Jodha looked away, not knowing what else to say. Her gaze fell on the cake and she exhaled, stifling the despair.

“I guess this goes back in the fridge.” She stood up, carefully lifting the cake. “You might want to cut it later.” She added, hoping he’d say – ‘No! Let’s do it now’ - but Jalal said nothing.

Ofcourse, he wouldn’t. She locked eyes with the staid observant, scoopingher arms around the tray. Hadn’t she burned that bridge for him?

“About earlier,” She began, praying to courage to not ditch her midway. “I implied many things that I don’t have any authority to. Especially about your mother. While worrying over her not seeing me as a torchbearer of morality, I didn’t realize I was discrediting her astuteness, both as a woman and as a mother. That too without any knowledge of her. It’s highly hypocritical to judge her while cribbing over the possibility of me being judged. I just… just lost it when caught in a compromised state…”she looked down, chagrined. “But that’s no way to take it out.”

Her eyes fell on the wallpaper of her phone, the picture of her parents.

“I am the daughter of a bank employee Jalal,” she spoke staring at the picture. “… and was raised as one. With middle-class values where moderation is the key.” She looked up, a plea in her eyes to understand where she’s coming from. “Walking, talking, eating, sleeping, spending, outdoor time – everything has a quota and comes with a manual. Desires, intimacy, feelings - these are not exempt from this injunction either. There is a time, place, privacy, propriety set for them and when I saw myself overstepping the regulations and manifesting desire like a wanton woman, without care for the world, I couldn’t stand it. That woman with Sari riding up her calves and writhing on a man's back, panting, moaning, heaving and not giving a damn if she’ll be seen – that couldn’t be me. That’s a street whore behavior and fits nowhere in my middle-class code of conduct. I’m Jodha, quote-unquote Raghuram and Vasudha's daughter; the girl who goes to college and comes home without lifting her head; the girl with no boyfriends, no affairs - only focused on her studies and career; in a nutshell, the sarvagun sampann sanksari ladki who’s the pride of her parents and of the neighborhood - that was me. I didn't know this new me, the one with you for the past four days. The impertinent chit who baited you, flirted with you, flung at you without regards to consequences.” She took an unconscious step towards him. “I pushed your buttons left and right, what if your control had slipped? What if we had slept? Would I have stopped you?” Her head nodded as if both of them knew the answer. “No… I didn’t have that kind of will power. It’s a given. And then what? I’d have despised myself and you too. I’d have blamed you unapologetically for it. Just look at today, we didn’t indulge in even half the deed and see how you became the obvious fall guy. Sorry for all the scathing sarcasm with which I berated you, Jalal. You didn’t deserve it. In truth, I should be grateful to you- for safeguarding our moments with your impregnable discipline and preciously pouring them into my cupped hands, for me to cherish them without the taint of guilt; thank you for not losing your head despite the provoking intimacy; thank you for allowing me the liberty of expression while you depraved yourself of it. Now that I've lost it, I see the value of the camaraderie that we shared; of the entitlement I had enjoyed… and I mourn it.” A tear slipped down her cheek. “I mourn for myself, the broken threads of sensitivity, but I mourn more for ruining it for you, Jalal. I wish I didn't hurt you, I wish I could make it right for you, oh how I wish..."

Tightly pursing her lips, Jodha cast her head down, unable to endure his serene watch. The calmness with which Jalal let her unburden her heart should have been soothing but it strangely levied more guilt on the repentant girl. Taking his hand kerchief out, Jalal silently placed it on the tray, next to her phone and cleared his throat.

“You had mentioned it twice, so let me clarify.” His voice spilled peace, making Jodha look up. “You didn’t bait me into anything and if I’m not wrong, I think you wish you were me – the one in control, of their body and mind, no matter the provocation, don’t you?” He got her agreement in form of a nod. “But that’s an inappropriate expectation. You see… I have had seven months of practice in schooling my feelings, my desires into check. You, unfortunately or rather fortunately, didn’t get that edge. So… me exerting whatever thread-bare control I did is a given. Don’t attach more value to it than it’s worth and work yourself up.”

The knot on the listener’s forehead slowly smoothened, compiling the information Jalal had surreptitiously handed over.

“Seven months?” Her clasp around the tray fastened, her mind doing the calculation. “Since April?” she suspiciously repeated.

“Since day one!” Jalal blinked in confirmation.

What! Her pulse slowed down, in fact her entire system turned cold, an intense sensation washing over her body. What is he saying?

He, Jalal Ahmed, of all men, was interested in her… of all women? Since day one?

“No.” She murmured in denial. “No…that’s not true.”

Empathizing with the overwhelmingness she’s going through, Jalal nodded. “Why else did you think I rescheduled the meeting?”

Meeting? It took a moment for the frozen system to process. Oh… the infamous ‘Fourteen days, two hours’ meeting?

“Why else?” She frowned. “Other than to teach the overconfident new employee a lesson?!”

“Not truly.” He crossed his arms. “I did that to witness yet again how the new employee’s eyes narrows with displeasure at an unforeseen intervention, how her lips thin in disapproval at unwarranted questions, and how her nose sharpens at the tip when challenged.”

Jodha’s lips parted, heat rushing up to her heart thawing the icy chill. That is what he noticed? She stared speechless. ‘That much’ he noticed? In a two-minute first meeting?

“So…you see I have had ample time to train myself. I didn’t have a choice. I either work on the unrequited attraction or risk making a clown of myself. But you, on the other hand, didn’t have to fight your affections once you had chalked them out, which I suppose must be a later development. I’m here, readily available for you, willing to reciprocate. You didn’t have the necessity to exercise restraint in the first place Jo and I’m glad for you.”

“Why?” She whispered incredulously. “Why me?”

“That’s one question,” Jalal shrugged. “I don’t have an answer to.”

What? Jodha felt on the verge of crying. Can this get any daunting? Inexplicable, unconditional, outright attraction?! To her? She’s pretty alright but she’s no world-class beauty to instantaneously gain attention of his likes. Nor an Einstein level genius roaming around with a halo of intelligence. Then how?

“People like you don’t do smitten-at-first-sight crap Jalal.” She cracked into a wobbly smile, unaccepting. It’s just... too” she fished for an appropriate qualifier. “Absurd.”

“Hmm!” Jalal looked on mulling. “What, according to you, wouldn’t be absurd? When according to you, must I have started feeling for you?”

“After the dinner at our home.” She stated it like – shouldn’t it be the obvious start point? “That’s when you knew who I was - the alienated niece of your family advocate. It must have started with sympathy and progressed to empathy to care to love. At least that’s what I presumed, because before that you were only an MD and I was any other employee.”

“Mm…” Jalal took a step towards her, folding arms on his back. “What part of an ‘instant attraction’ is terrifying you and pushing you into denial?”

Huh? Her big doe eyes mirrored her petrification. “Every part…” her heart fluttered, conversations with her friends scuttling to the front of her memory.

Kuch toh sharam karo ladkiyon. You’re talking about my MD, moreover a married man. Am I that bad to go after a divorcee?’

‘You’re not bad but what if he’s too good?’

‘Then go after him yourself. I’m no competition.’

She had rebuked her friends.

‘AMM is jealous of you and passed obscene comments when she saw you talking to boss.’

‘Tell Ms. Envy that I’m not interested in married men and that I’m no competition to her.’

She had haughtily laughed at Divya.

Jodha pinched the corners of her eyes, ruing over what a pretty little witch Karma is! Making her eat her words… that too with such a benign slap!

“Every part… because it’s a benevolence I don’t deserve.” She genuinely admitted. “Because I’m not magnanimous like you. Neither are my affections unmotivated like yours. If not for Badepapa’s relationship with your family or the site accident or the Delhi thing, I can’t vouch I’d be standing here today having this discussion. Because there is nothing common between the Jodha that joined Regal in April and her MD cum future Chairman of Regal, Jalal Ahmed. You and I belonged in different worlds Jalal. Rich, elite men like you are off charts for girls like me. Just like your staff are trained on what to see and unsee, we are trained on whom to be romantically interested in and whom not to be. There are social, educational, economical, communal, religious and God knows what factors to be considered while choosing a partner. I can’t just go home and say - Maa… I fell in love with this awesome man on first sight. Oh, by the way he is filthy rich, he’s my boss and also a divorced Muslim.”

She scoffed at the very notion.

“I thought the same holds true to you too. You guys don’t date, forget dating, you won’t even glance at women out of your circle and stature. So, when you say you were attracted to me for no reason, I can’t wrap my head around it. In fact, such purity scares me. Makes me feel undeserving because except for an impulsive moment here and there like stashing those jasmines away,” her chin jutted towards the wall. “I don’t think I’ve hoarded intense feelings for you. That is, before I came to know of the real you. Once I learnt about the circumstances of your divorce, and the grit with which you tackled the crisis, I couldn’t help but admire the man that you are. And thankfully when I rejoined Regal, you didn’t insist on protocols or hierarchy either. You were approachable, erased the barriers of an employee, employer and see where that lead us to.”

Jodha swept a palm at both of them, moisture glistening her eyes.

Nodding in understanding at everything she said, Jalal closed the gap by another step. “What jasmines?”

“What jasmines?” Jodha asked puzzled, forgetting her slip-up.

“You mentioned about stashing away jasmines.” Jalal reminded, gliding the handkerchief on the tray towards her.

“I did?” She wondered aloud, refusing his pristine white kerchief. “It’s okay. I had stained enough of your white shirts. Let this be exempted. About the jas… ”

Her phone rang interrupting her. “It’s Ranga. One minute.”

While she turned aside answering the call, Jalal trekked back to the French window taking cue from the direction her chin had jutted at when referring to the jasmines. He scraped the paper covering off the wrapped portrait and his brows furrowed at the revealed fabric art. It’s a metallic silver tree embroidered against a vibrant Aurora Borealis painted background. A crescent moon and meteor shower complemented the green hues of the backdrop. Golden threads ran along the outline of the trunk, branches and the roots highlighting its robust structure.

He stared at the painting, trying to fathom its essence. Coming from her, it must mean something! He searched harder but couldn’t comprehend any, beyond its aesthetic value.

“Ranga.” Jodha said from behind approaching him. “He’ll be here in ten minutes.”

“Did you make this?”

“Yes.” She said standing by him and observing his expression. Jalal looked aside, shifting glances between her and the portrait.

“Looks beautiful but what has this got to do with the jasmines?”

Darting him a suspense filled glance, Jodha slanted next to the portrait, facing him. “That tree…” Her left index finger rose to the portrait, her eyes intent on him. “It’s you.”

“If you tilt the frame to your right and follow along the golden threads on the roots,” she directed with her finger for clarity. “You’ll find contours of two faces – a male and a female.”

Jalal followed her pointers, his beats thrumming with thrill.

“Your parents.” She said, throwing him off guard. “Your roots.”

She gave him a moment to take it in and furthered.

“Those two branches,” she thumbed at either side of the trunk, her eyes on him. “Concentrate on the path of the golden flowers hanging from them, you’ll see them shaping into F and R – Four wheels and Regal.” Another pause while his eyes broadened and she resumed. “The sturdy aerial roots… are your support system – your friends!”

“The crescent moon is your faith and the meteor shower is divine blessings. The creeper bush…” her pulse quickened having arrived at the anticipated part of the ordeal. She tore her gaze from Jalal, peeking up at the green vines at the foot of the tree and at the single vine crawling up the trunk. “… that seeped its roots into yours and greedily wound around the trunk…that’s...” Her head fell against the wall, eyes closing in abashment. “That’s me. It’s made of dried jasmines. The jasmines I,” she blurted blushing, “…stashed away as your parting token.”

“My parting token?” Excitement and surprise laced his tone in equal portions. “When didI give you jasmines?”

“You didn’t. Gosh… this is embarrassing.” She hid her face behind her left palm.“The night you came for dinner, when I fell on you, I had jasmines in my hairand I thought… okay, don’t laugh.” She groaned mortified. “I thought you kissedthem.”

What? The enthralled man’s chest swelled with sweet pleasure, his lips curving into a wide smile. Of course, he remembers every nuance of her blissful fall. He looked back at the creeper with a sly smirk. And of course, he took in whatever he could of her in that brief moment – including a stealthy kiss to her jasmines. To think that she had noticed it and preserved them… wow! But wait…

“Why did you say parting token?”

“Because I had resigned?!” Her palm flicked like – isn’t it obvious? “And I didn’t know at that time that I’ll return to Regal.”

“Mm…hmm!” Jalal slowly closed in on her, his palm flattening against the wall. “But didn’t you resign ‘coz you hated me? ‘coz Madam Highness was offended by my public reprimand and didn’t want to see my face again or be in my company? Why’d an offended employee wants to keep a parting token of her infuriating, obnoxious boss?”

Oh my God! Jodha shrunk her shoulders, his proximity and interrogation stirring butterflies in her stomach. “That was there too.” She whispered shyly, casting her eyes down.

“And?” Jalal prodded, leaning into her further. He picked the butter knife from the tray and lifted her chin with the blunt end, holding her hostage with his sultry gaze. “And what else was there, Madam Highness?”

The breathless girl’s eyes closed, an act of preservation from his killing fervor. “That’s a question,” she rasped unevenly. “I don’t have an answer to.”

Fair enough! Jalal smirked at her borrowed retort. Trailing down her cheek with the knife, he observed. “So… I wasn’t that infuriating, after all?”

Curling her toes, Jodha agreed with a sheepish smile.

“And I wasn’t a mere boss either?!”

She bit on her lip and slipped her face aside, her rosy blush letting out the answer. The jhumkas swayed garnering the smitten man’s attention. The earlobes slathered a pretty shade of pink, as if begging him to relieve them from the weight of the heavy jhumkas. His gaze traipsed to the perfectly doe shaped eye, to the glossy cheek and down to thedewy lips.

What is he waiting for? Jodha shifted on her feet impatient. Why isn’t he substituting the knife with his finger?

True to her prayer, Jalal transferred the knife to his palm up against the wall and brought the free one to her cheek…

And stopped.

He looked back checking at the doors and seeing them open, he let out abreath.

Will keep the debility in check! He had promised her at this exact spot.

He stood straight, living up to his word and Jodha opened her eyes, recognizing the loss of his heat. There was at least three feet of gap between then and his hands are back at his side, one seeping into his pocket and the sensible girl got his message – loud and clear.

Congratulations on digging your own grave! She exhaled deep, masking the bleakness that permeated her heart.

“Thank you.” Jalal softly said, turning to her gift. “When I unwrapped it, I didn’t realize I was looking at my whole existence framed in a24x30 portrait.” He tipped his head in mark of respect. “So very insightful. You couldn’t have more meaningfully expressed my stand in your life than this.” He reverently traced the creeper with a finger. “Entwining your roots with mine and making me the anchor of your existence…” his tone got heavy. “It’s deep, Jo.”

“It’s selfish.” Jodha mumbled, not so appeased. “It felt super sentimental at that time but not now.” She took a step and extended the cake tray to him, a silent implore to do the honors.

“Why?” He asked, slicing a tiny portion of the cake.

“Like I said, you didn’t need a motivation to like me. It just happened. Stop. Don’t move.” She warned, seeing him retract to when she took another step. “Hold this.” She passed on the tray, bridged the gap, seized the slice he cut and lifted it to his mouth. “You became a necessity in my life only after near death rescues. Zameen aasmaan ka faraq! You won’t touch me, I know. But I can and I will.” She clutched his chin with authority and popped the slice into his mouth. She waited with anticipation until he chewed, swallowed and bobbed his head in approval. “Thank goodness!” She happily polished off the crumbs on her fingertips and before he could pick up his hand kerchief, she wiped his mouth and her fingers with her pallu.

“You don’t want more?” Jalal asked seeing her not cutting a slice for herself.

“Oh, I do… badly!” She sighed, lusting after the cake. “But only if 'you' feed me. Will you?” Her orbs shimmied with playful challenge but Jalal became solemn.

“I will Jo.” He didn’t resist. “I want to, too. But the question is - are you ready? Because if I start, there will be no stopping me.”

Jodha sobered, like she had been splashed with a bucket of cold water. Who was she kidding? She blinked away. He’s no Samyu to be swayed away by her stupid attempts at reconciliation after such a derogation.

“I can say I am but I know that won’t be enough for you.” She said, taking the tray from him and placing it on the window sill. “So, I’ll wait till you know - without me having to say.” She glimpsed at her phone and knew that her time is up.

“Ranga will be here any minute.” She looked up at him, her fingers going for the top button of his shirt. “You asked one thing of me. To stand by you today at the Pooja and I couldn’t fulfill even that.” She undid the second button while Jalal looked on amazed. “I may not be there physically,” she wide opened his shirt till she could see the pencil chafe on his chest. “But know that I truly wanted to be there for you, with you. And I will always and…” She pressed her lips to the bruise and lingered for few beats.

Damn it… Jo! His fists clinched, fighting against the meltdown. Don’t make it any difficult… He silently pleaded. … than it already is!

“...forever want to!” She fastened the buttons back and swept her palm above his chest, ironing out the crease. “I won’t be here next week to see you off,” she glanced up smiling. “So… good luck with Tokyo too. They better sanction that grant.” She preciously cupped his face and bent his forehead down.

“What are you doing Jo?” Jalal’s pain filled baritone felt like a punch to her gut. Tears pooled in her eyes, knowing she’s not making it easy for him.

“Sorry for being selfish again and taking whatever I could of you. Old habits die hard.” Her thumbs caressed the apple of his cheeks. “People considered me lucky at one point. Let me rub off some of it on you. Who knows… you might need it with Toyota.” She rose on her toes and kissed his forehead. She straightened, sprawling her fingers and filling her hands with as much of his face as she can.

“On second thought, I think I still am lucky.” She broke into a watery smile. “It’s your birthday, but you got only a cake and a wall art. But look at me. I am leaving from here with the greatest return gift in my kitty.”

Her hands fell onto this shoulders, her agony on verge of erupting.

“You!” Her face scooted to his, her tone reducing to a bare whisper. “Happy birthday love!” Her lips closed on his, love spilling from the corners of her eyes. One moment she was there – her warmth suffusing him and then… she was gone!

Jalal stood benumbed watching his girl bolt away, his palm absently moving to his chest.

She’ll be back! He consoled the aching heart.

She’ll be back! He rubbed on it, untangling the knot.

She has to be back… He patted it in assurance. Because this is where she belongs!

Edited by hemakeerti - 10 hours ago
hemakeerti thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Reserved for part2 … to be posted in 2025 or 35 smiley2

On a serious note... THANK YOU guys for the loyal wait for over an year! I don't know how you do it, how you put up with such infuriating procrastination. smiley24

But the only reason I continue this story is because of your unrelenting tolerance. Here comes the next dose of Jodha Akkineni and Jalal Ahmed and I think some of you might be disappointed with the progression of their story. You might have been waiting for a mind blowing, grand and full of revelations birthday celebration (rightfully so as it took eons to come to this chapter) and might not agree with how it fructified, but I hope you'll trust me and stay with me as I unveil more of their story.

I couldn't PM all in my buddy list as this new IF only lets me PM to folks who've visited the forum in last 60 days, but if you know someone waiting for PBD updates, kindly spread the word.

Hope you'll find this a good, if not a great read and will take a moment to share your thoughts.

Lots of love and best wishes for your lives from...

Yours not so loyal author smiley31

Edited by hemakeerti - 9 hours ago
manu_ak thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Why di why!!! You made me popat early in the morning😅😅 kitna bhagte bhagte ayi me read karne and here we've to wait some more. Chalo there's a new thread means the chapter will come soon will wait until then.

nushhkiee thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Anniversary 4 Thumbnail + 3

Aeee buddhu banaya smiley37

anyway, really really happy and waiting for the update

damn! i think i am dreaming smiley19smiley42smiley9 can't believe u are actually updating smiley17

Edited by nushhkiee - 3 days ago
nushhkiee thumbnail

Originally posted by: hemakeerti

Reserved for part2 … to be posted in 2025 or 35

I really hope this is a joke smiley17

I'll go mad if you don't update next one soon smiley36 Too much possessed nd obsessed with this masterpiece..

on a serious note though, thank you for updating .. and please don't take years to update smiley13smiley12 jaldi jaldi krna .. smiley41smiley17

manu_ak thumbnail
Posted: 2 days ago

Wow!! No words for the way you write Di. Will comment more after reading it properly. The last part though was ❤️ and the master piece the painting 😍 what an incredible thought.

binduprasad41 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: hemakeerti

Dearest gentle readers! smiley2

Editing is still in progress... posted and deleted twice. Hopefully third time is the charm! Appreciate your patience as always!

Yours not so loving author!

Waiting still waiting..... since years you know smiley13

nushhkiee thumbnail

Originally posted by: manu_ak

Wow!! No words for the way you write Di. Will comment more after reading it properly. The last part though was ❤️ and the master piece the painting 😍 what an incredible thought.

did she update? where?

I can't see

manu_ak thumbnail

Originally posted by: nushhkiee

did she update? where?

I can't see

She deleted it. But it was totally awesome.