University of Wyoming Establishes First Academic Bitcoin Research Inst

News

avacollins70 thumbnail
Posted: 1 months ago

Bitcoin Research Institute

The University of Wyoming has launched what it calls the first academic Bitcoin Research Institute to elevate quality Bitcoin research.

Announced during the Bitcoin 2024 Conference in Nashville the new academic research division will be headed by associate professor of Philosophy and author, Dr. Bradley Rettler.

The Institute “aims to produce high-quality peer-reviewed publications about bitcoin from all academic disciplines,” he wrote on X.

Further, the Bitcoin Research Institute aims to create faculty positions, incentivizing and rewarding academic researches. This would stimulating youngsters to pursue Bitcoin-related projects.

Besides, the BRI will also conduct events such as book workshops, weekly seminars, public outreach events, etc.

Edited by Sutapasima - 1 months ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sutapasima thumbnail

Helping Hands

Dr. Bradley Rettler, Associate Professor of Philosophy at the university, is the director of the newly launched Bitcoin Institute.
The institute’s director highlighted the need for informed research, criticizing previous work for its lack of fundamental understanding of bitcoin.

“Much academic bitcoin research is quite poor, because it’s done by people who don’t understand bitcoin,” Rettler explained. He emphasized the significance of understanding bitcoin to produce valuable research, noting that much existing academic work on bitcoin falls short due to a lack of fundamental knowledge.

florence12 thumbnail

This is not the university’s first foray into innovative technology. In 2020, it launched the Center for Blockchain and Digital Innovation. While that center is housed in UW’s school of business and focused on the technology’s applications in the business world, Rettler wanted to create a stand-alone unit for Bitcoin.

“The difference is [the institute is] academic and not project-based,” Rattler said, adding they could have had an academic arm in the Center for Blockchain, but “I don’t want people to think I’m pro-cryptocurrency, because for most of them I’m

Edited by Sutapasima - 1 months ago