Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MideOfTheShadow thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 1 months ago

hey!

lol, don't worry, you won't have to scroll over here for an update, I will ensure I notify you of an update on this forum via PM (I promise 😭🙏🏾).

Jodha's laying down of those conditions, to me, was a form of gaining some control over some part of her life, especially with the awareness that once she got there, she may not have a semblance of the control she had while in Amer.

here, I wrote the condition scene with three probabilities for Jalal - that he declines without retaliation and be seen as a weak king; he declines with retaliation, and he would be seen as a man who cannot keep his word, or he accepts her terms and he faces his court for that.

I do not think I watched that scene or if I did, I was not paying attention 😭. tbh, I never called myself the most attentive person ever 😩🥲. his nervousness wasn't apparent to me either, given the confident facade he presented, but I can understand why he might have felt nervous.

as for the payal scene, it will be coming up soon in a few chapters 😁😉

the wedding (part five)

"Badi Ammi," he called out with his back turned to the approaching woman. With his sensitive hearing, he already knew she was the one approaching his tent. That and that she would be the first of his court officials to confront him.

"Shehenshah-."

"Badi Ammi, you know you do not have to address me by such formalities," he said softly, turning to grant her the decency of facing her. Unlike the gentle facial expression he was used to each time her eyes glanced at him, he met a stone-cold mask that would have frightened a common man.

"Why?" She questioned, her eyes meeting his despite her insistence on using his title to refer to him. "Why did you agree to her conditions? It is your duty to keep the Mughal laws and customs yet you cave to her demands."

He anticipated this and while he owed no one an explanation for every decision he made, he still needed his Badi Ammi to know his reasoning for why he gave his assent.

"Have you heard of the king who refused the desires of his queen, Badi Ammi?" He asked rhetorically and the white-cladded woman seemed to understand his message. "If I refused her conditions, I would be seen as the king who could not fulfil the request of a little girl."

Of course, Rajkumari Jodha was barely a little girl being a few years younger than him. But against him and the power he wielded, she might as well be.

"She would still follow the Mughal laws and customs regardless of the freedom I have granted her."

"Still I wonder, Shehenshah, why you will put yourself through this?" Badi Ammi continued, her eyes staring into his as if to gauge whatever he was thinking. "You could just cancel this whole wedding and make her your concubine instead."

That was a huge mistake on her part as Jalal's eyes burned with venomous anger so cold it would have frozen her. This was probably the first time the Badshah would see true fear in her eyes. If anyone else had dared utter those words to him, they'd have met a slow and painful death for that suggestion.

Badi Ammi immediately backtracked her statement, "My pardon, Shehenshah. But-."

If she went any further, he was going to lose that bit of control he had over his fury.

"This, Badi Ammi," he started, his expression deathly serious now as he stared at the older woman before him. "This is to form a relationship between the Mughal Empire and Rajputana. Conquest does not always have to be won by war, Badi Ammi."

A lie, on his part. He lived for the bloodshed that came with war, after all, he was raised in the midst of that. But if could convince his Badi Ammi, why not?

She seemed unconvinced, her kajal-lined eyes bore into his soul at that. The room fell silent for a few minutes before she broke it.

"I do hope the Empire will not come to regret this decision you have made, Jalal," she said, finally.

His face lit up in a smirk as he looked away. Has she suddenly forgotten who he was? Every decision of his had the best of his plans to extend the territories of the Mughal Empire.

"You know me better, Badi Ammi."

Giving her another glance, he could sense she still was not satisfied and pleased with his answers, yet, she saluted him with a "Khuda hafiz" before making her way out.

He watched as his badi ammi left his tent, leaving him alone to replay the conversation he just had with her.

"You could just cancel this whole wedding and make her your concubine instead."

Concubine?!

The mere mention of that word roused his rage again. Certainly, he could have taken Rajkumari Jodha as his spoil of war and made her a concubine within his harem. He had done that to many princesses after all.

In fact, he had implied it as a threat to Raja Bharmal the day the old king had accompanied Chughtai Khan to his court.

"You are right, Raja Bharmal, I do not need a political alliance. Now that Amer is a captive of the Mughal Empire, everything within Amer belongs to me."

Everything and everyone, including the treasure Amer held dear to its heart, including the princess Raja Bharmal considered his pride.

Jalal had observed the vivid colour slowly fading from Raja Bharmal's face, indicating that he had clearly understood the implication.

Now, Jalal walked over to his bed, taking a seat as he attempted to calm himself down. Back then, it was just a threat to get a father to accept the alliance Chughtai Khan had proposed. After all, he wanted her all for himself and whatever he wanted was his and his alone.

He couldn't imagine making her a concubine now. It was a tremendous insult to him, to everything that made him the man he was, after all, he hated sharing that which belonged to him.

Besides, was she really going to enter his harem as his concubine if he demanded? He scoffed at the thought as he knew just how much the Rajputs valued their pride.

Hell, their warriors' widows immolated themselves after receiving the news of their husbands' deaths at the battlefield.

For Raja Bharmal, it was either agreeing to that alliance, losing his daughter or having the sands of Amer soaked in blood to protect his daughter's honour.

Jalal knew the king had taken the huge step of coming to his tent to avoid the last option but would rather die than have his daughter handed over to anyone, especially a Mughal.

"You must not know us then, Shehenshah," despite the pallor evident on his face, Raja Bharmal mustered the little courage he had in him as he maintained eye contact with Jalal. "My daughter will not willingly walk into your palace even if you asked. Thousands of people would gladly lose their lives just to ensure that."

And of course, there were Rajput common folks who had made several attempts on his life while on the journey to Sambhar. It was admirable how the Registan ka Gulab had people rallying around her to protect her pride and honour.

He needed to break down that pride by taking advantage of the war in a way she would willingly come to Agra with him. If the people knew she had made this decision out of her volition, they would have no other option than to respect her wishes despite their dissent to this.

It was only natural he'd go through all this trouble by marrying her. She'd have the honour of being his begum but, at the end of the day, he was the one she would answer to and he was going to be the only man who would have her underneath him in every sense of the word.

His assent was not a sign of weakness or anything. It was him giving her a semblance of control while reminding her of the control he was going to have over her.

Speaking of which, he smiled as he remembered the little gift he had sent to her tent during the muh dikhai. What was her reaction going to be once she read that letter? He could only let out a lupine grin at the thought of her reaction.

Seething in rage, Jodha wished she had given in to her urge to burn the accursed wedding dress Jalal had sent to her via Maham Anga.

"Jodha," Moti was at her side, attempting to calm her down yet it was in vain as angry tears rolled down her face.

On the bed laid the source of that anger - a letter from none other than Badshah Jalaluddin Mohammad. The nerve he had to have sent it to her, in fact, how had he managed to do that during the muh dikhai?

Unless-

She stared back at the letter, reaching over for it as she picked it up from the bed. Her eyes then travelled over to the lamp burning bright. Moti's eyes widened in worry as she stepped in to stop her friend from inadvertently hurting herself.

Feeling Moti's arms around her waist, Jodha broke down in tears - not of despair but of rage, her head falling close to her shoulder.

"He is doing this deliberately, Moti. How did he even get the letter into my room?" She looked down at the paper, the words deeply seared into her head.

Every part of you is mine, every breath you take, how you live and die is mine to decide.

Pulling herself together, Jodha parted from the maid as she picked up the tray bearing the wedding dress the Badshah had gifted her. Her face was stone cold as she turned to Moti, her friend staring at her in confusion.

"Jodha, what are you doing? This is your gift, it would be disrespectful to reject-."

"I do not want it," she replied, her eyes urging Moti to collect the tray which she did reluctantly. "I am not wearing that devil's gift."

He thinks my life is his to control; that he can decide how I live and breathe and die. Not now, not today, not ever.

"Lay out the ghagra choli Dadi Sa and Maa Sa ordered from Jalor, I will wear that instead," she nodded towards the box where the aforementioned outfit was laid.

If Moti's facial expression showed confusion initially, this one held bewilderment, her eyes widened before they veered over to the red outfit. The bridal clothes were made from Gujarati silk with golden accents lining the bottom of the ghagra choli.

Jodha looked up to meet the puzzled look on her friend's face. Granted, that dress was meant for what would have been her wedding to Raja Suryabhan.

"Moti," she called out, tenderness replacing her previous tone. She walked over to hold her hand as she sat her down on her bed.

Her eyes veered off to the discarded letter on the bed before facing her.

"Trust me with this one, okay?"

"Haan, Jodha," she nodded way too sharply for Jodha to discern that she was still struggling to come to terms with her decision to wear that instead of Jalal's choice of wedding garb. "But what would Rani Mainavati say- ?"

She was taking a bold step by refusing his gift but he did not have to know the details behind her choice.

While Maa Sa might become scandalized by her choice to wear this instead of his gift, she would proudly take that over having his bloody gift on her body and end up displaying his ownership over her.

She was going to do this on her terms, not his.

notes: unfortunately, I could not post the whole chapter because the forum seems to think I am posting spam contents 🥲. I do not know exactly what it is that triggered the algorithm and filters, so, it might take a while before I can post the other part of this chapter. if it helps, you can read the full part on Wattpad (jodha akbar one shots) under the same username as here on this forum.

Edited by MideOfTheShadow - a day ago
lkdaswani thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Hey! Back here again after reading the full version on Wattpad, hope you are able to find the solution to the posting problem.

Regarding your previous message, he confesses his nervousness right before she pushes him away- which makes him fall.
Super glad that the Payal scene will come, better late than never. 😉

Onto the chapter.

Woohoo, Jalal's glare at MA was a clapping point for me because she is finally realizing that Jodha has some sort of hold over Jalal, for her son to glare at her at a mere suggestion- even if that suggestion is disgusting.

Oh indeed, the monster does have feelings...Your Jodha has a much keener eye than the show's Jodha to notice this because the Show's Jodha believed for a very long time that Jalal lacked basic emotions.

Jodha may have pulled her hand out of his but she did feel a spark- no matter how small! Man we are living for this spark.

Maham, the witch 😂

Again it needs mentioning, the mangalsutra and the sindoor scene were ON POINT. ❤️

Looking forward to reading the next one.

hey hey!

thank you! I just sent a message to the team, so now, I have to await their reply 🥲🙏🏾.

ah, so my issue was not that I was not being attentive, I was forgetful because now, I do remember him saying that while under the influence. then, we got the infamous scene and the Benazir track thereafter...

ah! I remember watching this part in the serial and damn. I think this was the part where Maham Anga knew she was starting to lose control of Jalal. this is the same man who would have viewed her word as a message from God himself yet here he was glaring at her for making such a suggestion. (not to mention the fact that Jalal would not want to share Jodha with another man at all and her being a concubine would defeat his purpose for seeking her out)

"Maham the witch" line actually came from something my youngest sister said when we were watching the scene where she prays that Allah protects Jodha from the evil eye. My sister then asked, "is she a witch? she looks like one" 😭😂😂

thank you very much for this review, it made my day especially after the past few days spent trying to edit this part so I can release it in whole 🥲. that and coming down with the flu, lol. again, thanks for the review and I look forward to reading more from you

lkdaswani thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Hello!

Firstly I would like to wish you well soon! It sucks to be ill.
Secondly, I hope they reply to you and solve this issue ASAP because things like these can be demotivating- so the sooner this is resolved, the better.

Regarding the concubine scene...had Jodha become a part of Jalal's harem, I don't think any other man would be allowed to touch her. I think that having Jodha as his concubine would have served most purposes except his alliance with Rajputana would be non-existent with that decision and Jodha probably would have immolated herself rather than take such disrespect.
The only difference I've found is that Jalal's concubine could never be Marium Uz Zamani. They'd be called an 'umm-walad', mother of the master's son and those sons won't inherit the Kingdom. Only children with legal wives could inherit. I think. The concubines were also not as respected as the legal wives.

I was reading this research paper on harems to answer the question posed before- whether or not wives were able to divorce and then find good prospects. This book that I read, said that definitely yes. Infact, historically, Akbar married a woman who had a living husband- whom she was made to divorce because she was very beautiful-- like the Atifa Track but real.
So, we could stand to believe that Akbar WOULD have remarried Ruqaiya Begum later on. And reading these books I find that Akbar really wasn't a nice man...
Yes, he did do some good things, things that at that time would have seemed HUGE for an Emperor to do but with the present viewpoint, he really wasn't a good person.

Your sister watched the show too! I wish I had someone to discuss this show with irl.
And ofc girly, u have all my support! ❤️

hey!

I was recovering quite well until I learned it may have been covid so now, I have to figure out where I may have picked that up from (for all I know, it could have been from the kids in Sunday school 😩🥲)

oh, in that case, I stand corrected about the concubine part but I do agree that her being a begum instead of a concubine granted her the honour she was worth. that and Jalal was killing two birds with one stone - he gets the alliance of a Rajput kingdom (and maybe most of Rajputana) and he has Jodha (alive) with him.

damn, so that Atifa track was almost as realistic as it could get. to be honest, a lot of historical figures we learn about were not really as good as history painted them to be. they may have made great contributions in one way or another but they were not good as individuals.

she loves watching TV series and my mom gave her the green light because it is rated PG. the downside is having to answer her numerous questions on what is going on in the serial. kids...they can be quite the curious bunch

lkdaswani thumbnail

OMg! Covid is still a Thing?! I thought we were over that bit*ch.
Man, take care!

Yes! The reason we even have this fictional world is because Jodha married Jalal- had she been a concubine then it would have been a horror rather than a romance.

It's a shame that the Real Marium Uz Zamani's name remains a mystery to us.
In fact, except for two names- those of Ruqaiya Begum and Salima Sultan...all of Jalal's wives names are a Mystery. It's like they've been rubbed off from History.
Them being Hindu is a fact- because Akbarnama mentions that Jalal mostly conquered the Hindu Kingdoms through marriage- but the names of these women names, their lineage...everything has been washed away by probably some folks who thought it 'offensive'.

But then again, it's a surprise that the names of Ruqaiya and Salima were made available- how strange na, that the names of Begum with Mughal Blood are shown off boldly whereas the name of the MOTHER of the heir to the kingdom is hidden away just because...just because what? So obviously, Incest is ok but marriage with a Hindu is not.

Very political statement but then again, everything is political nowadays. Sorry, in a weird mood. 😂🙈

Yupp, Atifa track was real. Akbar was a di*ck. He was better than those who came before him and better than those who came after him but still...not a good person. AND he was ugly, or at least unattractive. According to real descriptions. Strange na, that in almost all his paintings he is shown old and grey when he actually ascended to the throne so young?

Hhaha, kids and their curiosity is as widely known as a Cat's curiosity. Yeah, not even a single kiss (I don't mean like cheek kisses- I mean the real smooch kiss) is shown. Definitely PG.

Edited by lkdaswani - 1 months ago

(my words are in bold)

Originally posted by: lkdaswani

OMg! Covid is still a Thing?! I thought we were over that bit*ch.
Man, take care!

unfortunately 😭. I only found out because my parents also fell ill and when they tested themselves, the test turned positive for them. I don't think they got it from me or my other sister because we've been holed up in our rooms throughout. the worst part is that they are both doctors so they have to exercise caution so they do not pass it on to their patients.

Yes! The reason we even have this fictional world is because Jodha married Jalal- had she been a concubine then it would have been a horror rather than a romance.

tell me about it. I remember reading a fanfic on Wattpad about a Mughal woman who was made one of Jahangir's concubines and...let's just say it would have ended up a total tragedy had Ruqaiya not set that woman and her daughter free close to the end of the fanfic.

It's a shame that the Real Marium Uz Zamani's name remains a mystery to us.
In fact, except for two names- those of Ruqaiya Begum and Salima Sultan...all of Jalal's wives names are a Mystery. It's like they've been rubbed off from History.
Them being Hindu is a fact- because Akbarnama mentions that Jalal mostly conquered the Hindu Kingdoms through marriage- but the names of these women names, their lineage...everything has been washed away by probably some folks who thought it 'offensive'.

But then again, it's a surprise that the names of Ruqaiya and Salima were made available- how strange na, that the names of Begum with Mughal Blood are shown off boldly whereas the name of the MOTHER of the heir to the kingdom is hidden away just because...just because what? So obviously, Incest is ok but marriage with a Hindu is not.

for real. I have always found it strange that Mariam-uz-Zamani's actual name was kept hidden. some people claim it is because Akbar created a law that would discourage people from calling out the names of the Royal women but that claim holds no water at all.

Ruqaiya, Salima, Hamida, Bakshi Bano, and even Aram Bano have their names written in history while we only have the name of Jahangir's mother hidden behind a title. yeah, I am not buying that. it is awfully convenient how her name is kept a secret with historians left to speculate what her actual name could be.

Very political statement but then again, everything is political nowadays. Sorry, in a weird mood. 😂🙈

history has always been political, always has been 😭🙏🏾

Yupp, Atifa track was real. Akbar was a di*ck. He was better than those who came before him and better than those who came after him but still...not a good person. AND he was ugly, or at least unattractive. According to real descriptions. Strange na, that in almost all his paintings he is shown old and grey when he actually ascended to the throne so young?

Hhaha, kids and their curiosity is as widely known as a Cat's curiosity. Yeah, not even a single kiss (I don't mean like cheek kisses- I mean the real smooch kiss) is shown. Definitely PG.

Indian serials being PG was why my mom always allowed my sisters and me to watch them. telenovelas went all out (although they used censors like shoulders/waist-down censors, the use of blankets and underwear) so, she banned us from watching Telemundo which we still watched anyway, we just waited for her to leave the living room.

lkdaswani thumbnail

I read in one of these papers that only male slaves were freed whereas female slaves remained untouched by this 'anti-slavery' law.
Omg, I need to stop reading these papers otherwise Fitoori IS going to turn a horror story and nobody wants that. 😂😂
But these works are negatively affecting my opinion of Akbar and that might show up in the next chapter- I am being influenced by the TRUTH!! someone make it staaap!

Nah, in fact I should take these works as a motivation and write Akbar as he should have been!

Jodha won't lose her identity in Fitoori! Even as Marium Uz Zamani, she's already gonna be famous af as JODHA BAI and no one would dare forget her. Gods, the feminist in me is truly truly raging.

Indeed, history has always been political-- or has always been manipulated for political moves.

Saiyaa thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: lkdaswani

Indeed, history has always been political-- or has always been manipulated for political moves.

Only truth...smiley28

Unfortunately their own clan themselves have damaged theirs memoirs beyond repair.