akdha ss/ff - the desert's rose

MideOfTheShadow thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 1 months ago

character sketch

jodha bai || mariam-uz-zamani, malika-e-hindustan, registan ka gulabparidhi sharma

jodha bai || mariam-uz-zamani, malika-e-hindustan, registan ka gulab
paridhi sharma

born to the Rajput royal family of Amer and under the Kachwaha dynasty, Jodha Bai, also known as the Registan ka Gulab is known for her gentle spirit as well as the passionate flame that burns within her. to save her homeland from uncertainty, Jodha is faced with the choice of letting it all burn down to the ground or sacrificing her freedom to get married to the devil himself - Jalal-ud-Din Muhammad.

to save her homeland from uncertainty, Jodha is faced with the choice of letting it all burn down to the ground or sacrificing her freedom to get married to the devil himself - Jalal-ud-Din Muhammad

abu'l fath jalal-ud-din muhammad || shehenshah-e-hindustan, badshah salamat, akbar
rajat tokas

born to a mother seeking refuge in Umerkot and under the Timurid Dynasty, Jalal-ud-Din Muhammad grew up in the midst of war and treachery. these have hardened him into the man he is, seeing himself as a heartless warrior who only knows bloodshed and conquest. it is until he learns about the Registan ka Gulab that he falls into an insanity that leads him to discover more.

it is until he learns about the Registan ka Gulab that he falls into an insanity that leads him to discover more

hamida bano begum || malika-e-azaam, mariam makhani, padshah begum
chhaya ali khan

driven by the guilt of leaving her infant son to the hands of Maham Anga and Bairam Khan, the kindhearted Hamida Bano Begum can only pray for the welfare of her son and hope he would one day forgive her. she also hopes that one day, her son would realize that he does have a heart after all.

she also hopes that one day, her son would realize that he does have a heart after all

ruqaiya sultan begum || zan-e-kalan, malika-e-muazzama, malika-e-khaas
lavina tandon

his childhood best friend and first wife, Ruqaiya Sultan Begum has gained the privilege of being within Jalal's close circle. yet, none of these are enough for her as she seeks more to fill in the void she wished would be filled. if she cannot have his love, then she would have the power he can grant her.

if she cannot have his love, then she would have the power he can grant her

salima sultan begum || khadija-uz-zamani, makhfi
manisha yadav 🕊️

after the assassination of her first husband, Salima Sultan Begum knows that she is not safe as whoever was responsible for the death of Bairam Khan might target her and their son, Abdul Rahim, next. to ensure both her safety and Rahim's, she agrees to marry Jalal. their marriage is more platonic and on the basis of respect as Jalal would find himself seeking wisdom in her advice.

their marriage is more platonic and on the basis of respect as Jalal would find himself seeking wisdom in her advice

maham anga || wazir-e-aliya
ashwini kalsekar

as his foster mother, Jalal placed Maham Anga on a pedestal even higher than his biological mother. she is the woman who stayed and made so many sacrifices for him. however, little does Jalal know that Maham Anga only sees him as a means to an end, her cunning mind plotting against him and the ones he holds dear.

note: maybe it is the 21st-century woman in me speaking, but I found it unbelievable that Jodha would not have known the man she was getting married to.

while it was common for brides to not meet their prospective grooms in some cultures, I still think they’d have at least known the name of the man they were getting married to, no?

not just that, everyone (including the common folks of Amer) happened to be aware except her. I found that unrealistic that she would not have at least gotten wind of it from either the maids or soldiers.

anyway, I sat down and thought to myself “what if Jodha knew that she was getting married to Jalal? would she have acted differently knowing the kind of man she was marrying as well as what was at stake?

the wedding 🏜️🌹

Her destiny seemed to have taken a turn for the worse the moment a messenger had run over to the forts of Amer with a letter in his right hand and his left hand carrying a bloody sac.

Finding out that the sac carried the head of none other than her fiancé, Raja Suryabhan, had her slipping into unconsciousness.

Before she could hit the ground, the arms of her maa sa and her dadi sa had caught her and the two women had tried to console her once she had regained consciousness.

She could not call what she felt for Suryabhan Singh “love” but he had given his life to protect her homeland while on the battlefield. He had fought valiantly while the other Rajput kingdoms declined Amer’s call for help.

To make matters worse, her brothers - Raj Singh, Khangar Singh and Jagannath Bhaisa - and several soldiers were kept as hostages by none other than Mirza Sharifuddin, the coward who had sent them both that accursed letter and Suryabhan’s head.

How could Sujamal Bhaisa team up with such a man? Was the throne of Amer really worth betraying their motherland and her trust in him?

Granted, it was unfair that Bhapusa had made Bhagwan Das the heir to the throne, instead of Sujamal. But did he have to stoop so low by allying with their enemies, the Mughals?

How could she forgive him for a grave sin such as this? Because of him, Raja Suryabhan was dead and her brothers were all in the custody of the scoundrel who dared to extort them of an exorbitant amount from Amer’s treasury.

She had walked into Bhapusa’s courtroom valiantly with a sword, ready to fight the Mughals if it meant that the hostages would be freed but Bhapusa had halted her movement right there, choosing to comply with the demands of the governor.

That had turned out to be a mistake on Bhapusa’s part as days turned into weeks and weeks turned into months.

For each month that passed, Sharifuddin’s demands grew even costlier and more outrageous.

Amer’s treasury was rapidly draining from having to satisfy the demands of its captor with little left to sustain the lives of the common citizens.

It was a difficult choice for her Bhapusa - to continue to comply with Sharifuddin’s demands and allow Amer to run at a deficit or to stand up to the tyrannical scoundrel and risk unnecessary bloodshed.

Each court session left Bhapusa weary and every request for help from other Rajput kingdoms was met with the most unhelpful answers anyone could muster.

Jodha found herself growing rapidly bitter at Sujamal for his betrayal, at Bhapusa for continuously ceding to the Mughals and more so at fate for screwing her over in this manner.

She found herself in front of Krishna, staring down his murti as she’d asked him when this torment would finally end. Until the Mughals wiped Amer off the map?

She was tired of seeing the dejected faces of Maa sa and her bhabis, one of whom was with child. The future looked bleak for the women as the dreaded possibility of them committing jauhar was becoming more of a reality for them as each day passed.

With tears in her eyes, Jodha stared at the murti of Kanha as she clasped her hands together, offering her prayers. For the first time in many months, Jodha allowed the tears to fall freely as she prayed for a saviour who would put a stop to the madness.

Little did the Rajput princess know that her prayers were about to be answered and in the least way she had expected.

Hope had filled the princess’ heart and that of her sisters when Bhapusa rode back to the palace on his royal horse. Maybe Kanha and Kali Ma had finally answered her prayers.

Upon seeing Bhapusa in the secret passage while on her way to offer puja to Kali Ma, she gave him her blessings and asked that he make his decision not as a father but as a king.

She had missed the sign of avoidance on his face when he came back and had specifically dismissed her, her sisters and bhabis from the court.

He must be tired, she had thought then, in an attempt to rationalize his strange decision.

However, she was not as stupid to dismiss the signs of something being amiss. She could not miss the pitiful stares that got thrown her way by almost everybody in the palace nor could she ignore how Maa Sa had suddenly fallen ill after Bhapusa had dismissed the other women from the court.

There was also Sukanya whom she had caught with a knife to her tongue, the younger princess breaking down into tears as she held onto Jodha in an unusually tight grip after the latter had seized the knife and tossed it aside before any damage could be inflicted.

Now, observing from the windows of her chambers, the sight of Rajput kings and dignitaries, who had finally graced the grounds of Amer’s courts, leaving the palace in anger was the final sign which tipped her off to the fact that her intuition was correct.

While the Rajput kings rarely agreed to one decision in the royal court, this one went beyond a simple disagreement. No, something was very wrong and it seemed to have her as the common factor.

But how? Jodha found herself asking as she paced about her chambers. Could she possibly be reading too much into everything? Yet she could not help but feel that pressing on her intuition that things were more than what met the eyes.

After standing up, she turned to face Bhapusa at the entrance of her chambers. Despite being about to meet him, she smiled in relief that she wouldn't have to.

Pranaam, Bhapusa,” she approached with a warm smile, her hands clasped together in front of her chest as she greeted him. “Please, come in.”

He walked in without a turban on his head. He likely saw Maa Sa before arriving here, she speculated. Faced with his sombre expression, she lost her smile.

Bhapusa, is everything alright? Is there any problem?” She asked, cautiously. Did it have anything to do with her brothers? After returning from his journey, he had assured them that her brothers would be set free. It was only natural for Jodha to wonder what Bhapusa had sacrificed for them to be freed.

“Jodha, mere bete,” he started, finally maintaining eye contact with her. “I have arranged your marriage with another suitor.”

Oh, she nodded slowly to absorb the news. So, that was the price for her brothers returning home.

Yet, why did her intuition still warn her that something was amiss? Bhapusa had made that announcement in a tone which was less than reassuring to her.

He had been overjoyed to announce her engagement to Raja Suryabhan, knowing that his daughter would be the beloved bride of a respected Rajput king, securing her future with immense celebration and happiness.

The way he expressed himself, his tone and his affect all conveyed guilt and gloom as if he was consigning her to a bleak future.

Exactly who was the man he arranged for her to marry and how did he manage to contribute to the current tense atmosphere around the palace?

“Who is he?”

“Jodha bete-.”

So help her Kanha if he was avoiding the main point. She was tired of being kept in the dark about what was happening. If she was going to get married, she had every right to know who her future husband was.

Nahi, Bhapusa, I demand to know the absolute truth. Who did you arrange my marriage with?”

Jodha could feel the weight of Bhapusa's gaze, and she steeled herself, preparing to summon every ounce of strength she had in anticipation of his forthcoming response.

Kyun, Kanha, kyun?” With tearful eyes, she glared at her murti. “Why is this happening to me? Is this my punishment for a grievous sin I had committed in my past lives? Why me?”

In front of Bhapusa, she had given a strong impression, but inside, she longed for death while resigning herself to her fate.

Kanha had answered her prayers for a saviour after all, just not in the way she thought and Bhapusa had sacrificed something - the sacrificial lamb being her.

The way the gods answered prayers showed their twisted sense of humour and Jodha was not laughing at this one. Her groom-to-be was none other than that jallad, Badshah Jalaluddin Mohammad, Shehenshah-e-Hindustan.

It was funny, wasn’t it, how she had vowed on the sands of Amer that she would present his head before Kali Ma. Yet, she was to marry him to prevent the sands of that very land from getting soaked with the blood of her people.

Right now, the fate of innocents rested on her shoulders. Could she afford to be selfish right now? On one hand was her flaming hatred of the man who had ordered the raid on Kali Ma’s temple and the other hand was the possible annihilation of her people.

She could say no and Sharifuddin would demand more from Amer before settling for its destruction, then what would happen next? Soldiers would die protecting their kingdom to their last breath, their widows would commit jauhar to protect their honour and their children would be left as orphans.

Could she live with herself if that happened? Her bhabi, Pavitra Bai, and her unborn child came to mind as she weighed her options. Jodha knew she would not be able to live with the guilt of being indirectly responsible for the death of hundreds of thousands.

It all made sense now why everyone stared at her in pity, why Maa Sa had fallen ill and barred her from her chambers. It made sense why Sukanya had attempted to cut off her tongue. Out of guilt, the younger princess believed she had spoken bad luck into her older sister’s life.

“I hope the Mughals take you away and make you their wife!”

Jodha had already forgotten what they were quarrelling about that time but she could not forget how tightly Sukanya had held onto her as if afraid that the Mughals would break into the palace and whisk her jiji sa away.

It made sense why she saw other Rajput kings walking out of the court in fury. It was a stain on their pride and honour that Bhapusa would agree to give his daughter away to a Mughal for Amer’s survival.

Pride? Honour? She wanted to scoff at those two words. Where was this pride and honour when Sharifuddin had attacked Amer? Only Raja Suryabhan and the army of Bhanpur had rushed in during battle to aid them.

Where was their pride and honour when Sharifuddin bled Amer’s treasury dry in exchange for the safety of her brothers?

Would their pride and honour still be intact if the Mughals had chosen to decimate Amer to the ground instead of a political alliance?

The sound of faint footsteps had her hurriedly drying her tears before turning to meet the eyes of her Maa Sa.

Maa Sa's expression appeared tired and devoid of colour, with an absence of makeup and jewelry save for her bindi. It was clear that the news of her arranged marriage had taken its toll on her.

"Jodha-," her voice trembled as if she was on the brink of breaking down into a hysterical bout of tears over her daughter's misfortune.

Maa Sa,” the tears she had tried to suppress threatened to burst again. Maa Sa held out her arms, providing shelter and a safe space to her oldest daughter who rushed in.

For the first time since Bhapusa had left her chambers, she allowed her tears to roll down her cheeks freely while Maa Sa could only stroke her hair in consolation.

It felt relieving to let out that anger she had bottled up inside her. For a while, when Jodha felt she had run out of tears to cry, she pulled apart from Maa Sa’s arms to meet tear streaks on her pale face.

However, Maa Sa did not break into a hysterical fit as she had believed. Instead, Maa Sa brought her thumb to her face, wiping away the tears on her daughter’s face.

“Jodha, mere bete,” Maa Sa called out her name, this time without the initial trembling in her voice.

Haan, Maa Sa,” Jodha responded, her voice weak from her crying. This side of her Maa Sa was new to her and she could not decide whether she was to dread the next few minutes.

“I tried to change your fate, Jodha,” Maa Sa said with the look of defeat on her face. “I really tried. I was ready to move the heavens and fight the gods just so this would not come to fruition.”

Maa Sa’s hands now fell off her face as she turned to stare at Kanha’s murti.

“It turns out that no matter what a man does, he can never fight his destiny,” she finished with a sad smile before turning back to face her. Maa Sa now gently pulled her over to the bed, settling her down to take a seat.

Maa Sa-,” Jodha tried to interject, at least, to assure her that it would be fine but Maa Sa was not about to hear any of that as she held her hand up as a way to request her silence for a few minutes.

“I am not here as your mother, Jodha. I am here as Rani Mainavati of Amer,” she cut in with a firm voice, her previously full eyes burning with determination. “You are going to be a queen too, Jodha - a post higher than mine because instead of a kingdom, you will be under the scrutiny of an empire.”

“I know you do not want this, neither did I want this path for you but fate seems to have decided otherwise for you,” she added. “I am sure you know what is at stake now.”

Jodha nodded slowly, absorbing the implications of Maa Sa’s words.

“The fate of Amer rests on your shoulders now, bete,” Maa Sa tipped her chin up. “Keep that in mind, Jodha, that the place you are going to has different laws and traditions from Amer. As the future queen, I want you to familiarize yourself with the people, and build your own place in their hearts. And most of all, remember the title you were given by the people of Amer - Registan ka Gulab. I, Rani Mainavati of Amer, did not raise a shivering violet but a resilient rose - a woman of beauty with strong morals and passion for justice. You have always been stubborn, mere bete, never let that change.”

At the end of her speech, Maa Sa then took Jodha’s hand, placing it on her head with tears brimming in her eyes.

“Promise me, Jodha, promise me that you’ll abide by these words of mine.”

With a nod and her newfound motivation, Jodha gave her assent. Maa Sa gave her a weak smile before engulfing her in her arms again.

ending notes: Mainavati’s speech might seem incoherent and ngl, my brain was fried trying to put together her dialogue, so that one is on me 😭🙏🏾.

also, one thing I noticed from older posts in the forums was Mainavati’s nickname by the fandom - “hypervati” which had me howling in laughter. I gotta agree with them because it felt as if the writers of the serial forgot she is a Rajput queen.

I did retain some parts of hypervati in this Mainavati (like her suddenly falling ill at the news of Jodha’s marriage which is fair enough to me ngl) while trying to put a spin on her as the voice of encouragement for Jodha which I believe would have been helpful for her in the serial.

I had to split this because, at this rate, it is turning from a one-shot to a short story, lol. so, please, be on the lookout for an update. also, if you can’t tell, I’m bad at thinking of titles for stories I make and even worse at summaries.

Edited by MideOfTheShadow - a day ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

lkdaswani thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Was so excited to see this post by you when I woke up this morning! ❤️
Gave it a read and Loved it!! Would have loved to see a glimpse of Jalal too but I know and hope that it's coming soon.
Good to know that no one tried to deceive Jodha in your iteration of this scene as it had felt like a Betrayal in the show- not only were her family marrying her to a 'Brute' but they had also lied about it...I can see why Jodha had been rattled enough that she'd burned the clothes MA had brought as a gift from the Emperor, forever earning MA's enmity.

I, Rani Mainavati of Amer, did not raise a shivering violet but a resilient rose - a woman of beauty with strong morals and passion for justice.

Absolutely loved this dialogue from Mainavati, the fierce Rajputani mother, standing tall and portraying herself as strong for her daughter, for her Kingdom, even though her heart is breaking inside.

Jodha too is more reasonable, with her promise to her mother she will become The Empress we'd wished to see her become in the Show and I can't wait to see it!

An excellent shot- wouldn't have minded if it had turned into a story 😉.

hey, I appreciate your feedback! I have always wanted to write an alternative iteration where Jodha knows whom she is getting married to for two reasons. one of them was that I felt her lack of awareness in the serial made her unprepared for the life awaiting her in Agra. the second being that it felt unrealistic to me that she did not know even though everyone in Amer seemed to be aware. again, maybe it is the 21st-century woman in me talking but would there not be gossip among the maids or outside the palace? even Moti bursts into tears at the news, which I doubt she would have done if Jodha was getting married to a Rajput prince.

I'm pleased you appreciated Mainavati's dialogue, even though it seemed incoherent to me upon re-reading it before deciding to post it. Mainavati adores her daughter and would do anything to prevent her marriage to the Mughals. however, as the queen of hundreds of thousands, she faces immense responsibilities, and so much is at stake. the heartbreak of having to part with her daughter compels her to seclude herself in her room, with only Rani Apurva for company. yet, she recognizes it is a sacrifice of one life for the sake of hundreds of thousands. her speech to Jodha was intended as a reminder for her daughter to maintain her spirit and to make a significant impact in Agra. perhaps her daughter's marriage to a Mughal was meant for a greater purpose.

anyway, I am so glad to have read your feedback and I do hope to post more of this. we will see a bit of Jalal in the next chapter 😉😄. I am currently trying to make edits because as fun as he is to write, there's that part of me that thinks my iteration falls short. I will get it right eventually though.

also, as to Jodha's burning the wedding clothes Jalal had given to her, from older forum posts I have read, there was a promo (or deleted scene at this point) where he had sent her a letter. that is a possible explanation for her burning those clothes because Jalal's letter to her was a bit...yeah, I will leave it at that.

unfortunately, I cannot remember exactly what the content of that letter was, but I hope to utilize it in this short story. (no clothes would be harmed in this short story though 🤭)

opening notes: as a continuation, I had planned to start with Bharmal but I felt it was unnecessary and would have fitted part one instead, so, I cut that part out and I'm opening up with Jalal because he seems fun to write about, lol💀✋🏾.

flashback

"What do you mean by 'you lost thirty men'?" he questioned, his voice barely above a whisper as he fixed his intense gaze on the soldier standing before him.

By his side stood Khan Baba and Abdul, the three men having just finished their evening prayers and preparing to discuss their strategies for the upcoming conquest over Amer. It was at this moment that one of the soldiers urgently requested an audience with him.

"During our mission, Huzoor, we besieged the Kali Mata Mandir; however, we encountered an unforeseen obstacle that hindered our mission," The soldier quivered under the intense stare of the Badshah.

Solemnly, Khan Baba, who had been quiet until now, cleared his throat and questioned, "What could have possibly hindered you? Is the army of the Mughal Empire so lacking in capability that they are unable to accomplish a simple mission?"

"It was not just anyone, Huzoor. She-."

As Khan Baba let out a chuckle, it sent a chilling tremor down the trembling soldier, unsettling him to the core. Jalal could only smirk as he heard the rare sound of amusement emanating from the Wazir-e-Aliya. It was an unusual sight from the typically stoic man as it spelled doom for whomever the recipient was.

"A woman?"

The three men had broken into a loud chuckle at that. The young emperor's interest was now thoroughly aroused. He wondered which courageous woman would dare to defy his soldiers, defy him, and defy the mighty Mughal Empire.

"Who is she?" Abdul asked, having calmed down now.

For a moment, the soldier hesitated, the thought of a woman defeating his fellow soldiers posing a huge hit to his ego.

"Registan ka Gulab."

flashback over

He was rarely the kind of man to get easily excited unless it was the adrenaline rush which came with the war field.

Yet, why did he look forward to when his entourage would finally make it to Sambhar?

He sat from from the bed, his eyes scanning his hojra as he slowly began to rouse from his slumber. Then, a smile fell on his lips at what awaited him over there.

That innocent face, those beautiful dark brown eyes that peeked out of her palki to observe the Gangaur festival.

Ya Allah, his breathing had ceased for a moment that he almost felt that organ he considered to be nonexistent beating just at the sight of her.

He had seen beautiful women, made them his bride and some his concubines to serve him but for her - Registan ka Gulab - he knew he had to have her.

Reconciling her innocent face to the woman who had caused the death of thirty of his soldiers posed a difficult task to the young emperor at that time.

That had shattered the moment she held Raja Suryabhan's sword at his neck.

Just hearing about the woman who had raised a sword and slaughtered thirty of his men placed her on his radar immediately but, that particular moment had sealed her fate for good as the young Badshah had started plotting the ways he could bring her with him to Agra.

Right now, he could only wonder how she took the news of her arranged marriage to him, his only regret being that he was not there to see her reaction.

What would her reaction to learning about her marriage to the man she hated so much be? He could only imagine that she was holding the tears right in while maintaining a stoic mask before her kingdom.

Jalal could only chuckle at the irony of events.

"My only wish and I pray the Goddess honours my prayer is to have the severed head of Badshah Jalaluddin Mohammad," she had confided to Raja Suryabhan that night at the prison grounds, not knowing that the man she was talking about was within earshot.

She had called him a barbaric beast and he had shown her just how much of a beast he could be with the promise of a war which he had delivered on. That and the pile of bodies of Rajput soldiers he had left for her.

His hand rubbed under his neck, feeling the spot where she had placed her sword. He had not anticipated it would be that sharp to leave a faint scar nor had he anticipated his mind still treating this as some kind of significant scar to be embedded.

Then and there, he had thought of carrying her in his arms with him to his camp. Even Abdul had asked him why he chose to rescue him instead of snatching her away in his arms.

"Time, Abdul, time," he had replied as he tended to the injuries of his companion.

The crippled man, in his delirious state, stared up at him with an eyebrow raised.

"It is unlike the powerful Jalaluddin Mohammad to let such an opportunity pass him by. Is it really time that prevents you from making your move?"

A grin lit up his face at Abdul's smart reply. If he had snatched up the Rajput princess right then and there, she would have become a martyr in the eyes of her people and there were many ways - numerous ways. Poison, immolation, anything to save her honour.

No, he needed her alive to make his conquest over her more significant and to avenge his wounded ego.

"I promised war, didn't I?" He asked rhetorically, earning him a weak laugh from Abdul.

"You never cease to amaze me, Shehenshah. You never cease to amaze me."

And the opportunity eventually struck in the form of a letter from Kunwar Sujamal. From the whispers in Amer, Jalal had learned that the Rajput prince was on the run after challenging Bhagwan Das who had recently been crowned the heir to the throne of Amer.

With a signal, Jalal permitted the messenger to read out the contents of the letter to his court.

To the Shehenshah-e-Hindustan, Badshah Abu'l-Fath Jalal-ud-Din Mohammed,

May peace be upon your reign as you receive this letter. It is with great honour and respect I address you. As a little boy, I heard tales of the Mughal Empire and the exploits made in its name.

It has come to my attention that you plan to wage war against the Kingdom of Amer and I intend to form an alliance with the the Mughal Empire in this war. My father, the deceased Raja Puranmal, was friends and allies with the late Nasir-ud-Din Mohammad Humayun and had aided in recapturing the fort of Bayana which would lead to his eventual death.

To honour the alliance of our fathers, I, Kunwar Sujamal, have sworn to aid the Mughals in the war against Amer. However, I would like to make the condition that I get to regain the throne of Amer - that which was my birthright unfairly taken away from me.

Kunwar Sujamal.

Not the one to let the opportunity pass him by, Jalal had signed off the letter with the royal seal before dictating a response letter to Sujamal and forwarding the request letter to Mirza Sharifuddin Hussein.

The things men would do in desperation.

While Jalal could feel the frustration of a man who had his birthright taken away, Kunwar Sujamal had made the foolish decision of sending that letter to him of all people. Yet, the Badshah had him to thank for this major event he looked forward to.

In a surprising turn, the Rajput king of Bhanpur, Raja Suryabhan, met his tragic end while trying to defend Amer in battle. His unexpected involvement in the war took many by surprise. However, Jalal still managed to kill two birds with one stone thanks to the decision made by a disgruntled prince.

As Jalal looked up at the morning sky, he noticed how the newly-risen sun made a beautiful canvas across the sky. His entourage would finally reach Sambhar in just a few days, and he looked forward to it.

Despite the sombre nature of the news, the royal family had swung into preparation, setting up their tent in Sambhar.

Badshah Jalaluddin Mohammad had proposed her hand in marriage with the belief that he had conquered her but she was not called the Registan ka Gulab for no reason. She would prove to him that she was no easy conquest of his.

Had her feelings changed about her marriage? No, but her outlook did - to a degree.

Despite the morale boost Maa Sa's words gave her, there was still that feeling of despair. She would have been making arrangements to get married to Raja Suryabhan right now if he hadn't died in battle.

As opposed to her previous engagement where she looked forward to their wedding with indescribable joy and excitement, this one filled her heart with dread.

There was nothing she would like more than to put an end to the farce of this wedding. Despite everyone being unhappy that Jodha was going to Mughal territory, they throttled around as if they were happy for her.

Maa Sa, for one, who had taken ill and locked herself in her chambers at the news of the arranged marriage, looked lively in her queenly outfit and jewelry today. Anyone who didn't know better would have thought she was excited to have her daughter be married to a Mughal.

"I tried to change your fate, Jodha...It turns out that no matter what a man does, he can never fight his destiny."

Maa Sa had taken it upon herself to oversee the wedding of her oldest daughter, pointing out the places that needed decorations.

Dadi Sa, on the other hand, busied herself with the food preparation and bridal arrangements. And speaking of her...

"Jodha, bete," the elderly woman walked in, taking nibble steps with her hands holding a red choli-ghagra and three to four different dupattas with matching colours. "The royal tailor has completed your outfit for the wedding, I thought I should see which of these dupattas would suit you."

As Jodha phased out, she blocked out the remainder of her Dadi's words. In front of her was an open box containing her bridal jewelry, which she remembered Maa Sa had ordered from Mewar after her engagement to Raja Suryabhan was announced.

Why did her mind keep on bringing him up? She was getting married to another man after all. Was this her mind's way of mourning what could have been? Regardless, what was done was done now and she could only try to move on, it was what he'd have wanted after all.

"Bete," Dadi Sa's voice, coupled with her warm hands cupping the young princess' face, brought her back to the present. Jodha could only let out a tight-lipped smile.

The elderly woman gave her a smile of her own as she held up a silky semi-translucent dupatta, holding it by her face before placing it on her like a shawl.

"I think this one looks good on you, bete," she said, momentarily stepping back to gaze at her granddaughter in appreciation.

"Thank you, Dadi Sa."

The older woman shook her head, knowing that her granddaughter was anything but excited about this wedding and for reasons she saw as being valid. Empathetically, her hand reached out to hold hers.

"My rishta with Prithviraj was not born out of love either," she gently reminded her. "Our marriages rarely are, bete, but we can only try to make the most of what we can out of it."

"But why, Dadi Sa?" Jodha questioned in a low voice, her eyes pricking with tears again.

With an empathetic look, Dadi Sa held her by the face again, giving her a small smile.

"I am afraid I do not have the answer to that question, bete, but all I can say is that fate chose you for a reason. What it is, I know not but it is up to you to make your own place over there."

"As the future queen, I want you to familiarise yourself with the people, and build your own place in their hearts."

Everyone seemed to be sharing the same advice with her these days, it seems. Jodha let out a little bit of air from her nose.

Sulking about her fate was counterproductive for her and was not going to change anything. She nodded solemnly and Dadi Sa let out a huff of breath.

"You have always been a wild child, Jodha. Way too stubborn for your own good that you still protest at the thought of the wedding."

"I am not-."

"Nahi, bete," the older woman interjected. "Everyone can see it in your face. That was the same look I had on my wedding." Then, she sighed again, "Eventually, Prithviraj and I got to know each other and-."

Jodha found herself scoffing at the implication. That was not going to happen, not in this life, not in the next life.

"You know that is never going to happen, Dadi Sa."

The older woman said nothing, only shaking her head before pressing a kiss to her granddaughter's forehead. Maybe the young one would understand later along the line, but for now, she was not going to try to change her mind.

lkdaswani thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

"You know that is never going to happen, Dadi Sa." Oh, but it will, my dear, it will Happen!

Jodha is reluctant and that is both understandable and much better than her stance in the show (almost catatonic with shock and grief).
Her family can only advise her on how to be Queen because none know the true power that comes with being married to not just a King of a Kingdom but to an Emperor of an Empire...the only one who could truly advise her would be the Marium Makani (To some extent because not even Humayun has so many Kingdoms under his control.) Man, sometimes I can understand where Jalal got all that arrogance from.

I also loved your spin on Sujamal, his letter straight to Jalal opens up many doors for the future. It also brings into question Raja Bharmal's continued rule over Amer, what will happen once the Mughals win this war against Amer?

Very very eager to read the next scene in your words!

Edited by lkdaswani - 1 months ago

hey! I always look forward to your feedback so to read this is 😩🥰.

we'll give Jodha some time, she's still coming to terms with the fact she is getting married to Jalal 🤭. oh absolutely, even Mainavati tells Jodha that she'd be under the scrutiny of an empire compared to just ruling over a kingdom. it will be up to Jodha to follow her maa sa's advice (and I wish someone had been there to tell Jodha this in the serial. OML, as much as I loved the serial, some parts had me facepalming).

Sujamal, oh Sujamal. my feelings are mixed about his portrayal in the series. in reality, he's a tragic figure, although his decision to ally with Sharifuddin left me bewildered. however, Bharmal's actions really screwed him over. to address your question, Bharmal will continue to rule over Amer, at least after the wedding. even though Jalal empathizes with Sujamal's frustration, it's doubtful he would hand over Amer to someone who allied with his people's foes for the sake of the throne.

and thank you again for the feedback. the next chapter will have Mainavati as the main focus 😄

notes: I am aware that Akbar and Harkha Bai were around the same age when they got married with Harkha believed to have been a few days older but this is fanfiction and anything goes, so yes, Jalal is about three years older than Jodha in this short story/fanfic.

Also, I know that Raja Bharmal was not monogamous but his portrayal in the show seems to have implied a monogamous relationship between him and Mainavati, so, yes, I will do that in this fanfic/short story

flashback

Rani Mainavati had never found herself to be this nervous in many years, her fingers repeatedly drumming against her silk ghagra. Today was quite an auspicious day for her for three reasons.

First, Jodha turned 18 this very day, the excited princess had sprinted down the stairs of the palace with a wide smile on her face as Mainavati, Rani Apurva, Raja Bharmal, Bhagwan Das, Maan Singh, Raj Singh, Khangar Singh and Jagannath all waited. Towing behind her were Moti Bai and Reva Bai as well as Sukanya and Shivani who all struggled to keep up with the princess's fast pace.

After receiving aarti from the puja thali and giving out donations worth her weight, Jodha had proceeded to request permission to offer puja at the Kali Mata Mandir.

"Nahi, Jodha," was the short reply Mainavati had given her. The times were fraught with the threats of war and invasion from the Mughals. If her daughter had picked anywhere other than the mandir which was located along the outskirts of Amer, she would have granted her permission to go.

"But Maa Sa," she protested, her countenance now fallen by the rejection. "I made a vow that I would offer puja at the feet of Kali Ma, I cannot rescind that."

Mainavati found herself wincing internally at the reminder. Jodha had taken that vow when she was twelve and evidently, she had not forgotten about it. Times had been different then with Amer's threat being a short drought which had befallen the kingdom. Now, things had changed, she could not afford to risk it.

"Jodha-."

"Haan, bete," Bharmal was quick to reply, earning Mainavati's sharp turn of her head to face him with a look of incredulity. Had he not demanded that security be tighter than usual the moment he got wind of the Mughals' eyes on Rajputana?

"Dhanyavaad, Bapu Sa," Jodha's countenance changed, her hands clasped together in appreciation before sprinting away to call Moti, leaving just Bharmal with Mainavati.

"Kyun? Why would you let her go? You know that-."

"Mainavati," Bharmal cut in, his hands holding those of his wife. The old king was aware of the overprotective streak his wife had when it came to their children. "I will send in more guards undercover. Our Jodha will be fine," he reassured her.

Even right now as Mainavati sat in the open corridor, her eyes would occasionally glance at the gates of the palace to be on the lookout for her daughter's arrival.

Her Jodha had always been stubborn, a wild child since her younger days. Not even Sukanya and Shivani gave her as many heart attacks as Jodha did. A little smile lit up the queen's face as she slightly rocked on her seat.

Mainavati had not anticipated having another child until the vaidya had announced her pregnancy to her and an elated Bharmal and Apurva. Yet, the moment the dai placed the little swaddled child in her hands, Mainvati recalled shedding tears of joy as she made prayers to Parvati for granting her a healthy baby girl.

She had known that her Jodha would grow to be a fiery woman the moment she turned three and would hide herself in the unoccupied rooms of the palace. It had gotten to the point that Bharmal had ordered the royal rooms be sealed shut to avoid such recurrence in the future.

The second reason for her growing nerves was Jodha's rishta. She was already past the age where every typical girl of her age was to have her marriage fixed but Jodha had shown little interest, her interest being in defence, medicine, reading and trade instead. Not that any of those were bad in Mainavati's eyes, she just wished her daughter could be more interested in getting married.

To solve that problem, Bharmal had invited the kings of surrounding Rajput kingdoms to Amer under the disguise of uniting their nation against the Mughals. What else made for a stronger alliance if not marriage?

Mainavati was not worried that her daughter would not be considered suitable for marriage. She was aware of her daughter's numerous admirers who would readily ask for her hand in marriage - some had sent letters stating their admiration before. She just wanted her daughter to find happiness in a marriage where she would find love.

Not all marriages were born out of love, unlike hers to Bharmal, yet, Mainavati was hopeful that her daughter would have a marriage that was among the exceptions the way hers had been. Was that too much for a mother to ask for?

The third reason for her worry was the looming visit of the famous or infamous Shaguni Bai. The clairvoyant's fame was dependent on whom the question was directed to.

Shaguni Bai was like the wind - she came and went however she pleased. No one knew where she came from and no one knew the next place she would end up in. Another defining feature of hers was the unpredictability of her visit as she rarely showed up on an invite.

That alone was reason enough for her recipients to dread her visit and it could either pose a blessing or end up making them quiver in dread of what their future had revealed to them.

The last time Shaguni Bai had made her visit to Amer's palatial gates was a few weeks after Jodha's nishkramana. The palace guards made way as the crone hobbled in with her cane supporting her.

Mainavati found herself holding her breath as the clairvoyant threw her cowries on the palace grounds, reciting a eulogy to the goddess. What prophecy could Shaguni Bai have for her daughter? It could be anything and that frightened the queen to her core.

The clairvoyant then looked up at Mainavati with a smile, "You have nothing to fear. Your daughter, Jodha, has a long life ahead of her and she will be known in the annals of history for years to come."

The queen had found herself at ease at the words of Shaguni Bai. It was vague but more reassuring.

But this time was different for Mainavati. Fate could be unpredictable and just because a man got news worthy of elation at one point in time didn't mean he'd always receive good news.

"Shaguni Bai aa gaye hain!"

(Shaguni Bai has arrived!)

Mainavati found herself back in the presence, standing up from her seat and turning to see her dreaded visitor make her way in.

"Pranaam, Shaguni Bai," Mainavati forced a smile to her face, attempting to hide her frayed nerves but from the intense look the older woman gave her, she knew she was failing at her mission. "Please, take your seat."

Shaguni Bai remained rooted on her spot, something the queen would have considered an insult had it been from another person. Just as the clairvoyant had done in the previous visit, she dispersed her cowries on the ground as she praised the deities.

And just like in the previous visit, Mainavati found herself holding her breath in fear. The air fell silent as Shaguni Bai stared down at the ground, fear began to seize the queen as the silence only grew longer than it needed to.

"Shaguni Bai, what does my daughter's future say?"

For a period, the clairvoyant remained silent before she decided to dignify Mainavati with an answer, "I do not decide the future, Mainavati, I only interpret what Fate has laid out for a man."

That did not sound like good news but Mainavati kept her ears open.

"Jodha would live a long life and will leave behind a legacy for people to remember for centuries."

Yes, she knew that already.

"She will be married but not to a Rajput king."

That had Mainavati pausing in her tracks. If not a Rajput, then to whom? Rajputana was surrounded by the Bengals, the Gujarati, Malwa and the Mug-

"No," she said, barely a whisper as she found herself moving a step back.

"Denying what destiny has set before Jodha will not change anything Mainavati," Shaguni Bai chuckled, this was not the first time she'd get such a reaction, nor would it be the last time. "Your daughter would make her way back to the palace dishevelled, with sindoor on her forehead and a bloody attire. Today would also mark the first time in many years she'd have heard of the man she would marry."

flashback over

The wedding tent was almost done, and the mandap had already been set up for when the ceremony would finally take place. It remained just a few minute details before Mainavati could conclude that they were done with the setup.

She had seen a few Mughal soldiers around their tent which was enough confirmation that the groom's entourage was finally in Sambhar. That and the entrance of her son and nephews as well

Despite the colourful display of the wedding venue and the joy of the hostages being returned, Mainavati could not help the look of defeat. Despite her efforts to ensure her daughter would not end up in this situation, here she was.

Would she do it again? Absolutely, without thinking twice. What kind of mother would she be if she chose to just accept her daughter's fate?

In a controlled rage, Mainavati had ordered the gates be closed the next time Shaguni Bai came over, her heart beating erratically from what she had just heard. Her eyes would glance repeatedly and anxiously at the gates just for Jodha's return.

All Jodha had to do was to be back at the palace with her hair neatly braided, her attire as crisp as it was when she left, her dupatta covering her hair and her face clear of any sindoor. Maybe Shaguni Bain's prediction would not come true this time.

Yet, Jodha had walked in, hours later, her hands supporting Moti, her dasi and best friend. Just as Shaguni had predicted, her hair was dishevelled with sindoor and ash on Jodha's forehead. Her attire was stained with blood and her eyes carried a fiery heat which had Mainavati's eyes widened.

She had rushed over to wash the blood off of her daughter while ordering the dasi to get a vaidya to treat Moti's injuries. It was then and there that Mainavati had sworn to ensure Shaguni Bai's words would not come to pass even if it meant wrestling with fate and the gods.

Then, why did she become mellow at this moment?

There was so much at stake for her now that she had to prioritize being the Rani of Amer over being a loving mother to her daughter.

Mainavati, the mother, had locked herself in her room for four days with Rani Apurva as her sole companion as the older woman consoled her daughter-in-law.

Mainavati, the mother, had unleashed her rage on Bharmal for the first time. Her eyes blazing as she accused her husband of selling her daughter to the Mughals with Bharmal just taking every word thrown at him.

But on the fifth day, when Bharmal walked into her quarters again, Mainavati, the mother, finally mellowed and got replaced by Rani Mainavati who understood the situation at hand and the fact that sacrifices had to be made.

Rani Mainavati had walked into Jodha's room after Bharmal had dropped the bombshell, to outline the duties that awaited her as the queen of an unknown territory. The Rani then gave way to the Mother whose heart bled for her daughter.

Even now, Mainavati wished it wasn't so. This preparation was supposed to be between Jodha and Suryabhan and she could only briefly bow her head in respect for the fallen king.

She could tell he loved her daughter, loved her to the point he had halted the wedding after the announcement of the war. Suryabhan wanted her to live her life should he die because he knew what fate would await Jodha had they gotten married then and there.

No matter the strings Mainavati had tried to pull to attempt to change the Raja's mind, he had remained stubborn up to his death. While the other Rajput kingdoms had left Amer to fight the Mughals, Suryabhan had shown up with his army.

Where were those kingdoms now? They refused to lend a hand only for them to show up to express their disapproval of Jodha's marriage and how it was a disgrace that Amer would sell themselves out to the Mughals.

They were the ones to talk about honour while displaying less than honourable actions towards Amer. Regardless, Mainavati found it a waste of time attempting to make anyone see the sense in the decision Bharmal had made.

She looked around again, the venue now completed. It was a moment before the wedding rites would commence and she needed Jodha to be ready by then.

As if the gods had answered her prayers, Mainavati found Moti Bai moving between the crowd of other servants. Moti was often known for her flair for yellow attires, her yellow dupatta making her stand out in the venue.

"Moti!" Mainavati called out, the maidservant looking up to find her. As if feeling the urgency of Mainavati beckoning her over, Moti was able to wrestle her way out of the crowd to make her way to the queen.

"Pranaam, mere Rani," Moti greeted, slightly bowing in respect.

Mainavati acknowledged her with a nod before going straight to her point, "Is Jodha ready? I got a message informing me of the groom's arrival to Sambhar and I need Jodha to be prepared for the rituals starting this evening."

Moti glanced back before turning to Mainavati with an unsure look, "Rajkumari Jodha sent me to get her some water, I will ensure she-."

The queen halted her with a nod and a smile, "I know, run along and then get her ready before the sun sets."

"Haan," Moti bowed slightly again, with her hands clasped as she made her leave.

With a heavy sigh, Mainavati could only hope that the wedding would go on smoothly without a hitch.

lkdaswani thumbnail

I came here hoping to see if you had updated and you had!
I also see that you now have the 'Groupbie' badge, I think now you'll be able to post artwork if you want. 🌟

Regarding the chapter, we get to see Mainavati's pov and I was glad to see that both the mother and the Queen in her are dominant, depending on the situation.

Suryabhan not marrying Jodha until the war was over was a lovely (and compassionate) gesture because had Jodha already been married to Suryabhan, Jalal would have never married her...instead, he would have taken her to his harem as a bandi/war prize.

I love the way you've portrayed Shaguni Bai as well, how you've managed to make her seem even more mysterious.
In the show, anyone who wishes to meet Shaguni Bai could go to the Temple and meet her but here she seems to appear when and where she is needed.
"Shaguni Bai was like the wind - she came and went however she pleased. No one knew where she came from and no one knew the next place she would end up in. Another defining feature of hers was the unpredictability of her visit as she rarely showed up on an invite."

I legit loved Shaguni Bai in the show and I feel as if I am going to love her even in your story.

I have to say, I am dying to read more of Jalal in your words (and take some inspiration)- because as a woman I find it easier to write female characters and a bit harder to write male ones, especially when it comes to such strong male characters.

Looking forward to your new chapter and this one was amazing!! ❤️

hey hey!

I am so sorry I did not notify you of an update. I'll make an effort to do that in the coming days, although I usually post updates on the forum one day after I update on Wattpad. and yes, I've finally received my groupbie badge. unfortunately, I'm at a loss for how to upload images here since it requires posting URLs, and my artwork is stored on my laptop, not online. 🥲.

I might sound repetitive, but I adored Suryabhan's character from the moment he appeared on screen. despite his flaws, the fleeting SuryaDha relationship captivated me, though sadly, destiny had other plans. what particularly endeared him to me was his selfless desire for Jodha's happiness with another, should he die in battle, leading him to postpone their wedding. if he had gone ahead to marry her, she would have committed Jauhar before Jalal even reached Amer.

my decision to make Shaguni Bai more of a wandering seer was to add a layer of mystery to her. I mean, she already had that factor in the serial but here, she has to live up to that feared reputation of that clairvoyant whom no one invites yet manages to have everyone clutching their clothes in apprehension of what is to come. I will try my best to have Shaguni Bai live up to your expectations 😄🙏🏾.

your story has also inspired me for this fanfic and a one-shot I completed yesterday—it's a modern AU that I plan to post by next Sunday. writing male characters, particularly someone like Jalal, is quite challenging (what I'll give to get inside his head)

thanks again for the feedback and I look forward to seeing more of your feedback in the coming chapters 😄💜