Discussions

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ammil thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 2 months ago

Avoided watching so many screen adaptations since I liked the books a lot, and vice versa...just in case smiley36smiley36 Yet there are too many that did well in both formats IMO.

Some of them:

Grisham's Pelican Brief, Runaway Jury, Firm

Szpilman's Pianist

David Copperfield (Dickens) BBC mini series with little Daniel Radcliffe as David

Holmes Series Jeremy Brett version

Byomkesh series Rajit Kapoor version

Ray's Golden fort etc., Shankar and Tagore stories

Tapan Sinha's Kabuliwala, Atithi (the guest) etc. from Tagore

Poirot series David Suchet version

etc....

Day of the Jackal by Forsythe - book is wayyyy better I think but watched the old movie not sure if there is a better newer version available.

DreamOfEndless thumbnail

Fantasy Fanatics

Originally posted by: ammil

Avoided watching so many screen adaptations since I liked the books a lot, and vice versa...just in case smiley36smiley36 Yet there are too many that did well in both formats IMO.

Some of them:

Grisham's Pelican Brief, Runaway Jury, Firm

Szpilman's Pianist

David Copperfield (Dickens) BBC mini series with little Daniel Radcliffe as David

Holmes Series Jeremy Brett version

Byomkesh series Rajit Kapoor version

Ray's Golden fort etc., Shankar and Tagore stories

Tapan Sinha's Kabuliwala, Atithi (the guest) etc. from Tagore

Poirot series David Suchet version

etc....

Day of the Jackal by Forsythe - book is wayyyy better I think but watched the old movie not sure if there is a better newer version available.

Omg, did I read The Pianist? It is a heart wrenching biography and movie. The movie impeccably follows the biography, something which rarely happens in the case of fiction. The scene where Szpilman played Chopin’s Norturne C sharp minor is unforgettable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPrQdlrCzPY

Since you mention Tagore, have you watched Anurag Basu’s Stories by Rabindranath Tagore?

ammil thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: DreamOfEndless

Omg, did I read The Pianist? It is a heart wrenching biography and movie. The movie impeccably follows the biography, something which rarely happens in the case of fiction. The scene where Szpilman played Chopin’s Norturne C sharp minor is unforgettable.

Absolutely smiley32 Watched the movie much later, but full marks to Polanski. Just remembered the infamous footbridge (connecting small and great ghetto "A Footbridge of Memory") mentioned in the book is memorized as follows in modern day Warsaw, and there is writing on the sidewalk in place of the walls now.

Untitled.jpg

Since you mention Tagore, have you watched Anurag Basu’s Stories by Rabindranath Tagore?

The one on Netflix – right? Tried a few years ago I think but did not continue, yet to warm up to it I guess

Edited by ammil - 2 months ago
Viswasruti thumbnail

Verse Voyagers

Lizzie, It is a great topicsmiley10. When I first saw it, I could imagine how delighted a new member would be to discover this wonderful thread with full of insightful thoughts, if they checked it decades later.smiley32

There will be certain discussions that stand out from the usual ones, and this is one of them. Wonderful thread, smiley31

Shakespeare's plays and poetry were first introduced to all of us in school and continued until we submitted our research papers in the later part of our education.

He was a trailblazer in elegantly presenting human frailties! His every play demonstrates his mastery of human psychology, and it's like a testament to his extraordinary genius.

Let's evaluate the Hindi film adaptations of some of his most well-known plays and the degree of success those movies achieved.

Shakespeare was a master at capturing human frailty in a nuanced and unpretentious way. Shakespeare’s tragedies, in particular, are must-reads if you want to see a hero’s/ human being's darker side. He depicted an ocean of emotions, with various settings in many awful situations. Though it's not an easy task, a few directors have attempted and succeeded in Indian cinema with adaptations of such classic dramas.

Here are a few of his plays that were adapted by renowned filmmakers.

Angoor: Based on "Comedy of Errors" by William Shakespeare. One of my favourite comedies of all time. I believe the film was only marginally altered. However, the plot was developed in such a way to use subtle humour to impress the Indian audience.

The original and the adaptation were both excellent! I am saying this because, the actors did their best while portraying these characters.

I studied the drama first and watched the movie after a few years.

Another movie based on the same theme was Do Dooni Chaar, a lesser-known and older film based on "Comedy of Errors." This is not as well recognised as Gulzaar's later creation, Angoor, and it was a so-so movie.

Maqbool: This one was based on WS's Macbeth.

The Mumbai underworld is the setting based on the intriguing plot of Shakespeare's tragedy "Macbeth."

Another amazing movie that brilliantly portrayed human faults and wants. While watching the movie, we felt like, the playwright himself came to modern-day Bombay to rewrite it because it was so well adapted and appreciated.

The actors' talent needs to be honed even further in order to portray those roles and to define WS's thought process correctly. Irfan Khan, Tabu, and Pankaj Kapoor portrayed the characters so well, They excelled in their own way by highlighting human frailties with their nuanced facial expressions.

Omkara: This Othello adaptation from Shakespeare depicts a politically motivated enforcer who suspects his wife of adultery due to his misplaced faith in his lieutenant.

In a rural UP/MP background, this Othello persona was depicted very well in the movie. The movie and the play demonstrate the universality of dread and insecurity deeply rooted in the human mind, and how they may be applied to various eras and places. Saif Ali, in my opinion, stole the show with his incredible performance.

The main difference between books and adapted movies is that, while books enable readers to imagine and interpret the story in their own way, but, movies provide viewers with visuals to focus on.

Different elements contribute to the enjoyable experience of both mediums. While a movie offers sounds and visuals that a book cannot match, a book can provide readers with more understanding and knowledge. Everybody has a different taste for the kind of leisure they find most enjoyable, even though both media offer pros and cons of their own.

Edited by Viswasruti - 2 months ago
LizzieBennet thumbnail

Comics Crusaders

So I just started GGGTM: Excited to watch the series! Is it supposed to be based on just the first book?

Also, how are the other books in this series?

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Comics Crusaders

Thanks, Madhu for your elaborate reply. Shakespeare is of course probably the most adapted playwright in History. His Romeo & Juliet alone must have so many diff adaptations!

That being said, Angoor is probably one of my favorite (or maybe THE favorite) Shakespeare adaptations.

I remember watching Much Ado about nothing years ago with Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branagh arguing and their chemistry and banter being top-notch, but I have to re-watch.

Then there are a bunch of modern Shakespeare adaptations like She's the Man (Twelfth Night) - which is kinda cheesy but Amanda Bynes is somehow quite endearing as Viola.

Another one I really enjoy - and have re-watched several times, it's one of my go-to rom-coms and Heath Ledger is just effortlessly gorgeous - is Ten things I hate about you (adapted from The Taming of the Shrew).

Of course Vishal Bharadwaj's trilogy - Maqbool, Haider and Omkaara are up there. I love how he re-imagined those iconic plays in an Indian setting. Performances are brilliant all around - Om Puri and Naseeruddin Shah as the Witches?? Yes, please!! I especially loved Omkaara. Sooo well done. I heard Vishal was going to adapt 3 of his comedies too - any news on that?

foreverlazy thumbnail

Romance Renegades

Originally posted by: LizzieBennet

So I just started GGGTM: Excited to watch the series! Is it supposed to be based on just the first book?

I believe so! I haven't gotten to the other two books yet, but there is a sort of prequel novella (not sure if they're including it in the show though). Definitely stay off your fyp on tiktok and insta if you want to avoid spoilers though because those two apps are psychic and will start recommending GGGTM content.

ssttuuttii thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Rainbow Reign Pride Participant 0 Thumbnail + 3

Sorry.. but I don't have any news about the series nor have I read the books.

Coming to Shakespeare, I wonder how we could have forgotten him for so long. As you said, his plays are probably the most adapted page to screen content... but then, plays are already meant for theater so they're much easier to transform into movies I suppose 🤔 .

Nevertheless, that was a good mention @Viswasruti. Would've missed out on these gems otherwise smiley9.

Love,

Stuti

shalu_libra thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Some actors that perfectly brought to life the book characters imo. I've obviously included only the books I've read that I've watched adaptations of.

1. Stephen Fry & Hugh Laurie as Jeeves & Wooster (TV series)

2. Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes (TV series)

3. David Suchet as Hercule Poirot in Poirot (TV series)

4. Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch in To kill a Mockingbird (movie)

5. Clark Gable as Rhett Butler in Gone with the wind (movie)

6. Colin Firth as Fitzwilliam Darcy in Pride & Prejudice (BBC series)

7. Maggie Smith as Minerva McGonagall in the Harry Potter movies

8. Jonathan Bailey as Anthony Bridgerton in Bridgerton. This last one might be cheating a bit since Anthony in the series is a lot different from the Anthony in the books but I want to highlight how much JB took this character, dug deep down into what makes him tick and then spun some JB magic to make it his own. I cannot imagine anyone else as Anthony!

9. I want to include some of the LoTR cast too particularly Ian McKellan as Gandalf. He was fantastic. Made me love Gandalf much more than in the books. Same with Viggo Mortenson as Aragorn.

10. Kate Winslet as Marianne Dashwood in Sense and Sensibility (movie). She made me love Marianne so much more than in the books. And she looked so darn pretty doing it!

Oh wow. I agree 100% with all except Bridgerton one because I haven’t read the book. There are many adaptations of Sherlock Holmes but I liked Jeremy Brett the most - fit the character to the T. And Kate Winslet as Marianne is my personal favourite- I doubt if any other actor could have pulled off that role with such earnestness, vulnerability & heart. smiley42Colin Firth as Darcy might seem miscast to a lot of people but for me he was perfect - other adaptations make him stern & wooden which he wasn’t. Colin brought out the pride, reserve & restraint in his body language without going overboard. Hugh Laurie - don’t know how he managed to bring to life the foppish, idle & oftentimes dull Wooster with such humour - you laugh just looking at his expressions. Rhett Buttler & Clark Gable - match made in heaven smiley36. I feel Vivien Leigh was also perfectly cast as Scarlett O’Hara.

Edited by shalu_libra - 2 months ago
LizzieBennet thumbnail

Comics Crusaders

Originally posted by: shalu_libra

Oh wow. I agree 100% with all except Bridgerton one because I haven’t read the book. There are many adaptations of Sherlock Holmes but I liked Jeremy Brett the most - fit the character to the T. And Kate Winslet as Marianne is my personal favourite- I doubt if any other actor could have pulled off that role with such earnestness, vulnerability & heart. smiley42Colin Firth as Darcy might seem miscast to a lot of people but for me he was perfect - other adaptations make him stern & wooden which he wasn’t. Colin brought out the pride, reserve & restraint in his body language without going overboard. Hugh Laurie - don’t know how he managed to bring to life the foppish, idle & oftentimes dull Wooster with such humour - you laugh just looking at his expressions. Rhett Buttler & Clark Gable - match made in heaven smiley36. I feel Vivien Leigh was also perfectly cast as Scarlett O’Hara.

It's hard to describe what exactly Jonny gets right about Anthony. There are so many things - his fears and insecurities, his vulnerability and then his absolute devotion to his family and Kate might be some of them. Bridgerton changed so much from the books - believe me Benedict, Colin, Penelope, Eloise all seem very different from their book personalities because of the way the show is written, yet somehow Anthony remains Anthony. That's why I said JB spun some JB magic. He makes it look like Book Anthony in an AU! smiley36

Wow I didn't imagine anyone would have watched GWTW and read the book as well. Yeah agree - the casting was top-notch. Not just Vivian as Scarlett, Olivia de Havilland as Melanie was perfect too. You couldn't help but love her. Anyone else could have made her look wishy-washy and annoying but Olivia plays her perfectly. And of course Hattie McDaniel (That Oscar says it all!) as Mammy.

Hugh Laurie is simply Bertie Wooster come to life from the book. Fight me on this. He imbibes the essence of Bertie and makes him even more goggle-eyed and clueless than the books (that mouth hanging open like a fish look? Perfection!).

And a million times YES for Colin Firth as Darcy. I know a lot of people seem to prefer Matthew McFadyen's portrayal in the 2005 movie but to me, Book Darcy = Colin Firth. Like you say he brought forth all that pride, reserve, stoicism, with the just the right amount of control. I mean he was being Darcy even in his acting. smiley36

Kate Winslet as Marianne is smiley27