Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 3 months ago

Originally posted by: LizzieBennet

Hey Deepu,

If you want my two cents, the two books Vijay mentioned are the only two works I’ve read by Chetan Bhagat as well. Can’t remember much of Five point someone - I’d read it before I watched 3 idiots and there are like a few similarities. It’s not really an adaptation I’d say.

2 states is probably a more faithful adaptation and I definitely preferred the book. Found myself yawning during the movie. And I recall doubling up at the end wedding scene - the movie just completely overlooked the comedy of it. But yeah, I wouldn’t go into his work expecting any literary masterpiece.smiley17

@bold: Haha... yeah, my shiny fantasy bubble about his work has been burst way too loud 🤣🤣

How about giving me some recommendations on your favourite Indian authors? I enjoy reading books based on recommendations and realizing parts that may have connected so well with others or moments that may have excited them. Enhances my people skills more 😅

Originally posted by: ssttuuttii

I gotta agree with Satrangi_Curls... I've read better fan-fictions than Chetan Bhagat's works. I also agree that it was probably the only book I would have ever left halfway (I didn't... but instead sped-read my way through it to merely finish it and not have it hanging on my mind smiley12). The only reason I even read it in the first place was because it was a gift from a friend who knew I loved reading... and since Chetan Bhagat was really popular back during my teen years, she thought it would be great gift smiley23.

This is why I joked that we have more refined taste than that smiley36. So yeah... if you have got any other books in your TBR list, hit them up first... you can leave him for the last smiley36. You won't be missing out on anything great smiley36.

No offense to anyone who likes Chetan Bhagat's books. Everyone has different preferences and this is merely my personal opinion.

@bold: Your sarcasm on the "refined taste" part slid past me due to my previously clouded judgement based on his hype. smiley36

I think I will just pass on him for now 😅😅

EuphoricDamsel thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Yes people I am alive (barely ever so)
And yes I have rare time to read...but yeah... here I am.

My fav book adaptation on screen is The Fault In Our Stars. It might sound out of the blue and I'm sure there are people out there who absolutely lose it over the book but I have read a few works of John Green and nothing even comes close to Looking For Alaska, for me.

That book got me into reading and I am still very biased about it. I read TFIOS before LFA (IN SCHOOL...at least more than a decade ago) so no it isn't because LFA was my first book of the author. The story just hit me in ways.

ANYWAYYYY....Yeah one of my Fav book adaptations is TFIOS.

surajhere thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 2 months ago

Originally posted by: Viswasruti

He is a very popular novelist in India. His novels focus on youth and urban India, making him very popular among urban audiences and garnering a strong following from Indian youth.

Chetan Bhagat relies on brevity in his work. He keeps it simple, without using any verbose sentences!! This writing style helps him engage with the audience most, who does not want to consult a dictionary or a thesaurus while reading books.

Five of Chetan Bhagat's novels have been adapted into Bollywood films like 'Hello' in 2008 (One Night @ the Call Centre); '3 Idiots' in 2009 (Five Point Someone); 'Kai Po Che' in 2013 (The 3 Mistakes of My Life); '2 States' in 2014 (2 States); and 'Half Girlfriend' in 2017 (Half Girlfriend), most of these movies are highly appreciated by critics and the general public.

The Girl in Room 105, is a thriller novel written by Chetan Bhagat, is considered one of the most popular novels by this author.

Our administrator, Vijay, who is an avid reader and enjoys reading well-written contemporary novels with political issues and consciousness. smiley1

Here is the list of this author's novels,

https://www.thriftbooks.com/a/chetan-bhagat/221337/

I have never read any of his novels, though I am aware of him as he was quite popular a few years back but he fell off the radar and achieved fame for all the wrong reasons.

Edited by surajhere - 2 months ago
surajhere thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

THIS IS A "MEMBERS ONLY" POST
The Author of this post have chosen to restrict the content of this Post to members only.

aryapdane thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Fantasy Fanatics

Originally posted by: Viswasruti

I know, many of us are aware that one of the most adapted novels in Indian cinema history is Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay's Devdas. Our filmmakers have also adapted other works by this Bengali novelist, typically telling a straightforward story about the intricacies of the human heart. Below is a list of some of the best Bollywood adaptations of his influential works over the years.

Devdas

Best, Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay, adaptationsBest, Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay, adaptations

Director: Bimal Roy

Cast: Dilip Kumar, Suchitra Sen, Vyjayanthimala

The novel Devdas is a research subject in many Indian universities and abroad as well !!

One of the best films ever made, Devdas, explores human connections and the demands of the heart. It explains why love is inexplicable and how it can both elevate and destroy a life when it strikes at an unexpected time! How social status plays a vital role in every stage of human history!!

Two important fields of artistic expression in our world are movies and literature. Normally, the novel presents the author's contemplative interpretation of characters and their surroundings. But, the film is a popular manifestation of the imaginative creativity of a team. Filmmakers are more concerned with contemporary social and moral norms because the majority of their works are created with the goal of being viewed by an array of viewers.

There are three versions available in Hindi, each starring three separate generations of artists.

The novel was actually translated into every Indian language, and every regional film producer made a movie based on it. Needless to say, it was a big hit in every language!

It's really hard to decide which is more enticing in this situation: the movie or the book!

Next one is Parineeta

Best, Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay, adaptationsBest, Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay, adaptations

This novel is yet another masterpiece written by this phenomenal storyteller, Sarath! In the realm of Parineeta, a single glance can say a thousand words.

It was first adapted by Bimal Roy, then tried in 2005 by Pradeep Sarcar. Both were well framed artefacts.

Sarath's depictions of human contradictions on screen are always a challenge to actors and visual treat to audience. However, I have to admit that the novel and the movies are two very different parallel universes; the first lets us experience love and its associated trivia, while the second was a masterfully rendered visual feast that manifested before our very eyes regarding the human behavioural pattern. The novelist deserves credit for inspiring many imaginative minds for generations with his works, which have produced such masterpieces!

Many directors have successfully turned several of his books into films in all Indian languages, and many talented people are currently considering doing the same with his other books! That is the calibre of this, one of the best writers of the bygone era .

A few movies of his novel adaptations: Biraj Bahu, Badi Didi, Majhli Didi (1967), Chhoti Bahu (1971), Khushboo (1975) ( Panditmashai by Sharat Chandra Chattopadhyay.) Swami (1977) Apne Paraye (1980)

Have only just had a moment to reply to this post. Sarat Chandra's works are masterpieces and I think all the adaptations of his works have been worthy of the literary genius that he is.

That said, I absolutely hate Devdas the movie. Especially because the adaptations have always tried to exalt Devdas as this passionate lover who was done wrong by his parents and the trappings of the societal norms that existed at that time. I'm sorry but in my eyes he is nothing but a petulant little coward who always chose escapism over facing the challenges in his life. I can never understand how both Paro and Chandramukhi are head over heels, tumbling down the hill Princess Bride style after this pontificating, sauceless man.

It only goes to show that Devdas was written by a man and later, directed by two men coz if a woman wrote this, it would be a very different book!

I guess it is 22 years since the last Devdas adaptation and I'd like to see a woman take on the mantle of directing this movie. So I'm putting this rant out in the universe with the hopes that I manifest a better version of Devdas.

Satrangi_Curls thumbnail

Thriller Titans

Why do you want Devdas when Darcy exists? smiley36

aryapdane thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Fantasy Fanatics

Point taken. Mr. Darcy is the epitome, the gold standard! Even Mr Knightley and Col. Brandon for that matter. God, Jane Austen knew how to write men.

foreverlazy thumbnail

Romance Renegades

The "A Good Girl's Guide To Murder" tv show has finally made its way to Netflix if anyone's interested! smiley1

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Non-fiction Nerds

Originally posted by: foreverlazy

The "A Good Girl's Guide To Murder" tv show has finally made its way to Netflix if anyone's interested! smiley1

I am! Will definitely be checking it out. Btw, I finished Book#2 in the series: Good girl, bad blood.