Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

surajhere thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 2 months ago

Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes is a perfect fit for Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's sherlock holmes. I watched Sherlock Holmes show when it was telecast on Doordarshan. When I actually read, each and every story of Sherlock Holmes(I think i must have read them all), I was amazed to see how good the adaptation was, but it was Jeremy Brett as Holmes and David Burke as Watson that made the show as good as the books.

The modern adaptation of Holmes is Elementary. John Lee Miller is Holmes and Lucy Liu is Watson. It is fantastic.

Cumberbatch and Downey were good too but Brett and Miller were the best.

Edited by surajhere - 2 months ago
LizzieBennet thumbnail

Comics Crusaders

Originally posted by: surajhere

Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes is a perfect fit for Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's sherlock holmes. I watched Sherlock Holmes show when it was telecast on Doordarshan. When I actually read, each and every story of Sherlock Holmes(I think i must have read them all), I was amazed to see how good the adaptation was, but it was Jeremy Brett as Holmes and David Burke as Watson that made the show as good as the books.

The modern adaptation of Holmes is Elementary. John Lee Miller is Holmes and Lucy Liu is Watson. It is fantastic.

Cumberbatch and Downey were good too but Brett and Miller were the best.

This is an interesting take. I remember BBC Sherlock and Elementary coming out at almost the same time and there being hot debates on. Reddit on which was better. Having never watched Elementary I cannot comment on JLM but BC as the modern day Sherlock and Freeman as Watson were both very very good as was the adaptation.
Viswasruti thumbnail

Verse Voyagers

I know, many of us are aware that one of the most adapted novels in Indian cinema history is Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay's Devdas. Our filmmakers have also adapted other works by this Bengali novelist, typically telling a straightforward story about the intricacies of the human heart. Below is a list of some of the best Bollywood adaptations of his influential works over the years.

Devdas

Best, Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay, adaptationsBest, Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay, adaptations

Director: Bimal Roy

Cast: Dilip Kumar, Suchitra Sen, Vyjayanthimala

The novel Devdas is a research subject in many Indian universities and abroad as well !!

One of the best films ever made, Devdas, explores human connections and the demands of the heart. It explains why love is inexplicable and how it can both elevate and destroy a life when it strikes at an unexpected time! How social status plays a vital role in every stage of human history!!

Two important fields of artistic expression in our world are movies and literature. Normally, the novel presents the author's contemplative interpretation of characters and their surroundings. But, the film is a popular manifestation of the imaginative creativity of a team. Filmmakers are more concerned with contemporary social and moral norms because the majority of their works are created with the goal of being viewed by an array of viewers.

There are three versions available in Hindi, each starring three separate generations of artists.

The novel was actually translated into every Indian language, and every regional film producer made a movie based on it. Needless to say, it was a big hit in every language!

It's really hard to decide which is more enticing in this situation: the movie or the book!

Next one is Parineeta

Best, Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay, adaptationsBest, Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay, adaptations

This novel is yet another masterpiece written by this phenomenal storyteller, Sarath! In the realm of Parineeta, a single glance can say a thousand words.

It was first adapted by Bimal Roy, then tried in 2005 by Pradeep Sarcar. Both were well framed artefacts.

Sarath's depictions of human contradictions on screen are always a challenge to actors and visual treat to audience. However, I have to admit that the novel and the movies are two very different parallel universes; the first lets us experience love and its associated trivia, while the second was a masterfully rendered visual feast that manifested before our very eyes regarding the human behavioural pattern. The novelist deserves credit for inspiring many imaginative minds for generations with his works, which have produced such masterpieces!

Many directors have successfully turned several of his books into films in all Indian languages, and many talented people are currently considering doing the same with his other books! That is the calibre of this, one of the best writers of the bygone era .

A few movies of his novel adaptations: Biraj Bahu, Badi Didi, Majhli Didi (1967), Chhoti Bahu (1971), Khushboo (1975) ( Panditmashai by Sharat Chandra Chattopadhyay.) Swami (1977) Apne Paraye (1980)

Edited by Viswasruti - 2 months ago
ssttuuttii thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Rainbow Reign Pride Participant 0 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Viswasruti

I know, many of us are aware that one of the most adapted novels in Indian cinema history is Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay's Devdas. Our filmmakers have also adapted other works by this Bengali novelist, typically telling a straightforward story about the intricacies of the human heart. Below is a list of some of the best Bollywood adaptations of his influential works over the years.

Devdas

Director: Bimal Roy

Cast: Dilip Kumar, Suchitra Sen, Vyjayanthimala

The novel Devdas is a research subject in many Indian universities and abroad as well !!

One of the best films ever made, Devdas, explores human connections and the demands of the heart. It explains why love is inexplicable and how it can both elevate and destroy a life when it strikes at an unexpected time! How social status plays a vital role in every stage of human history!!

Two important fields of artistic expression in our world are movies and literature. Normally, the novel presents the author's contemplative interpretation of characters and their surroundings. But, the film is a popular manifestation of the imaginative creativity of a team. Filmmakers are more concerned with contemporary social and moral norms because the majority of their works are created with the goal of being viewed by an array of viewers.

There are three versions available in Hindi, each starring three separate generations of artists.

The novel was actually translated into every Indian language, and every regional film producer made a movie based on it. Needless to say, it was a big hit in every language!

It's really hard to decide which is more enticing in this situation: the movie or the book!

Next one is Parineeta

This novel is yet another masterpiece written by this phenomenal storyteller, Sarath! In the realm of Parineeta, a single glance can say a thousand words.

It was first adapted by Bimal Roy, then tried in 2005 by Pradeep Sarcar. Both were well framed artefacts.

Sarath's depictions of human contradictions on screen are always a challenge to actors and visual treat to audience. However, I have to admit that the novel and the movies are two very different parallel universes; the first lets us experience love and its associated trivia, while the second was a masterfully rendered visual feast that manifested before our very eyes regarding the human behavioural pattern. The novelist deserves credit for inspiring many imaginative minds for generations with his works, which have produced such masterpieces!

Many directors have successfully turned several of his books into films in all Indian languages, and many talented people are currently considering doing the same with his other books! That is the calibre of this, one of the best writers of the bygone era .

A few movies of his novel adaptations: Biraj Bahu, Badi Didi, Majhli Didi (1967), Chhoti Bahu (1971), Khushboo (1975) ( Panditmashai by Sharat Chandra Chattopadhyay.) Swami (1977) Apne Paraye (1980)

I've neither seen the movies nor read the books but this is a really well written post and caught my interest smiley4. I was actually waiting for some Indian authors to come up in this thread... and am surprised that no one has brought up Chetan Bhagat yet smiley36. I guess our tastes are too refined for that smiley37.

But Bengali literature has its own old school charm and the deep dive into human behavior, thought-process and conflicts are not easy to bring out on screen... so kudos to the directors and actors for such well made films.

Waiting to read more reviews from you smiley10.

Love,

Stuti

ammil thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

I do not quite get the obsession with Devdas, I mean there are so many better ones from SCC himself. Few more years and we shall probably get few more versions of the same smiley36 It is certainly a good read (much better than the screen adaptations) but not the best.

Doordarshan tried the novel "Shrikant" partially, back in the 80's with Farooque Shaikh as Shrikant. Others included Sujata Mehta, Irrfan Khan, Mrinal Kulkarni, Tiku Talsania, A K Hungal etc. One would think nothing can go wrong with such a brilliant cast but for some reason the show was not able to capture even one third of the material properly, direction was not that great either. I wish someone good did the entire novel - has to be a show, too diverse and long for a 2hr movie. IMO this is probably his best and very different from any novel.

In case anybody interested:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqtVCj5iilH4DhRwlVvhbv_RIS2t6f7Wd

Thanks for the tag smiley1

Edited by ammil - 2 months ago
Viswasruti thumbnail

Verse Voyagers

Originally posted by: ammil

I do not quite get the obsession with Devdas, I mean there are so many better ones from SCC himself. Few more years and we shall probably get few more versions of the same smiley36 It is certainly a good read (much better than the screen adaptations) but not the best.

Doordarshan tried the novel "Shrikant" partially, back in the 80's with Farooque Shaikh as Shrikant. Others included Sujata Mehta, Irrfan Khan, Mrinal Kulkarni, Tiku Talsania, A K Hungal etc. One would think nothing can go wrong with such a brilliant cast but for some reason the show was not able to capture even one third of the material properly, direction was not that great either. I wish someone good did the entire novel - has to be a show, too diverse and long for a 2hr movie. IMO this is probably his best and very different from any novel.

In case anybody interested:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqtVCj5iilH4DhRwlVvhbv_RIS2t6f7Wd

Thanks for the tag smiley1

Thank you, Ammi for sharing the link. I really appreciate this gesture.smiley27 One of the best books I ever read as a teenager was Srikant, which tells the tale of a young vagabond who moved from place to place while harbouring an unexplained desire. In the midst of alluring women, he maintained his composure without faltering. He didn't care about material pleasures in life. What a novel it is! Every page is like a quotable quote!

It pulls you into a mysterious realm that is beyond this everyday reality and causes you to become reflective.

Originally posted by: ssttuuttii

I've neither seen the movies nor read the books but this is a really well written post and caught my interest smiley4. I was actually waiting for some Indian authors to come up in this thread... and am surprised that no one has brought up Chetan Bhagat yet smiley36. I guess our tastes are too refined for that smiley37.

Stuti

@bold: I am so glad you brought his name up. I will be honest, I have never read any books by any Indian authors, mainly because I do not know where to look for recommendations on them and find honest reviews.

But, I have heard so much about Chetan Bhagat and how much of an amazing writer he is, I am dying to read some of his works. I used to follow him on Facebook but then his page became more on politics than book promotions so I unfollowed him. I don't know if his work precedes his reputation, but I am currently searching for a good recommendation from his list of works.

Is he really that good of an author? Any other Indian author that you would like to recommend?

Viswasruti thumbnail

Verse Voyagers

Originally posted by: Chir-Cute

Stuti

@bold: I am so glad you brought his name up. I will be honest, I have never read any books by any Indian authors, mainly because I do not know where to look for recommendations on them and find honest reviews.

But, I have heard so much about Chetan Bhagat and how much of an amazing writer he is, I am dying to read some of his works. I used to follow him on Facebook but then his page became more on politics than book promotions so I unfollowed him. I don't know if his work precedes his reputation, but I am currently searching for a good recommendation from his list of works.

Is he really that good of an author? Any other Indian author that you would like to recommend?

He is a very popular novelist in India. His novels focus on youth and urban India, making him very popular among urban audiences and garnering a strong following from Indian youth.

Chetan Bhagat relies on brevity in his work. He keeps it simple, without using any verbose sentences!! This writing style helps him engage with the audience most, who does not want to consult a dictionary or a thesaurus while reading books.

Five of Chetan Bhagat's novels have been adapted into Bollywood films like 'Hello' in 2008 (One Night @ the Call Centre); '3 Idiots' in 2009 (Five Point Someone); 'Kai Po Che' in 2013 (The 3 Mistakes of My Life); '2 States' in 2014 (2 States); and 'Half Girlfriend' in 2017 (Half Girlfriend), most of these movies are highly appreciated by critics and the general public.

The Girl in Room 105, is a thriller novel written by Chetan Bhagat, is considered one of the most popular novels by this author.

Our administrator, Vijay, who is an avid reader and enjoys reading well-written contemporary novels with political issues and consciousness. smiley1

Here is the list of this author's novels,

https://www.thriftbooks.com/a/chetan-bhagat/221337/

Edited by Viswasruti - 2 months ago
Satrangi_Curls thumbnail

Thriller Titans

I feel watching movies based on Chetan Bhagat's books is a better option because honestly, I've read better stories/characters by fanfiction authors than the trash he dishes.

He is a very popular novelist in India. His novels focus on youth and urban India, making him very popular among urban audiences and garnering a strong following from Indian youth.

Chetan Bhagat relies on brevity in his work. He keeps it simple, without using any verbose sentences!! This writing style helps him engage with the audience most, who does not want to consult a dictionary or a thesaurus while reading books.

Five of Chetan Bhagat's novels have been adapted into Bollywood films like 'Hello' in 2008 (One Night @ the Call Centre); '3 Idiots' in 2009 (Five Point Someone); 'Kai Po Che' in 2013 (The 3 Mistakes of My Life); '2 States' in 2014 (2 States); and 'Half Girlfriend' in 2017 (Half Girlfriend), most of these movies are highly appreciated by critics and the general public.

The Girl in Room 105, is a thriller novel written by Chetan Bhagat, is considered one of the most popular novels by this author.

Our administrator, Vijay, who enjoys reading well-written contemporary novels with political issues and consciousness, is a huge fan of this author.smiley1

Here is the list of this author's novels,

https://www.thriftbooks.com/a/chetan-bhagat/221337/

Thank you, Madhu, for the information. I have watched some of these movies and have enjoyed them too. I had no idea they were adaptations of Chetan Bhagat's novels. I, too, enjoy reading concise work. While wordplay is welcome, excess wordiness puts me off and I lose interest. So I guess that would be an advantage in indulging in his work.

@Vijay - Since you are a fan of the author, is there any book in particular, that you would recommend to be read first from his list?