mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 25 days ago

Shoojit Sircar: Known for his realistic films like "Vicky Donor," "Piku," and "October."

Sujoy Ghosh: Renowned for his gripping thrillers such as "Kahaani" and "Badla."

Anurag Basu: A versatile director known for his innovative storytelling in films like "Barfi!" and "Jagga Jasoos."

Dibakar Banerjee: Acclaimed for his unique narratives and realistic portrayal of social issues in movies like "Khosla Ka Ghosla," "Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye!," and "Detective Byomkesh Bakshy!"

Ayan Mukerji: Known for his visually stunning and imaginative films like "Wake Up Sid" and the "Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani." He gained further acclaim with the superhero film "Brahmastra" 

Who is your favourite out of them? All of them are pretty good and have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sharaban thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 2

For me Anurag Basu is a master storyteller if used properly, from your list. 

Aparna Sen ( Mr & Mrs Iyer) and Dev Bengal (split wide open and English August fame, Rahul Bose starrers) are my favorites, alongwith ofcourse the legendary Satyajeet Ray. 

------

Edited by sharaban - 25 days ago
mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Shonali Bose is also good. she made Sky is Pink starring Priyanka Chopra, though Amu was by far the superior film.

MrChatVsNorway thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

Rani Mukerji's husbandsmiley27

sharaban thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: mintyblue

Shonali Bose is also good. she made Sky is Pink starring Priyanka Chopra, though Amu was by far the superior film.

Sky is pink was great. 

Have not got a chance to watch Amu yet, but is in my list now. 

(Do watch Rahul Bose' split wide open, available on youtube... do watch alone though, very risqué movie, even with friends' company). 

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: mintyblue

Who is your favourite out of them? All of them are pretty good and have their own strengths and weaknesses.

bold: I fully agree smiley1 Although I've no favourite, I like the movies you've mentioned...and many more of other Bengali directors.

To me, it is always a treat to get to know the connections among the families of actors famous in the Hindi filmindustry, especially with Bengal directors...the most part of my journey into the Indian filmindustry is done through those connections I discover when doing research about Hindi movies' actors/actresses and directors and with the possibilities I have, I also watch Bengali movies with English subtitles.

Additional to the ones you and sharaban named, I would like to add Rituparno Ghosh (Titli, Raincoat, Chokher Bali, Chitrangada), A.R. Chowdhury (Pink, Anuranan = debut movie), Konkona Sen Sharma (Aparna Sen's daughter...both in Rituparno Ghosh's movie Titli) and Shyam Benegal (Zubaiida, Welcome to Sajjanpur...I would have liked to watch Benegal's film about Bose but can't find it...and I've still his film "Well Done Abba" with Boman Irani on my watch list).

There are a few with only movies in Bengali, I've watched, and some of the directors of earlier times.

Edited by Clochette - 25 days ago
RiddlerPump thumbnail
IPL 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

All are very good. from the list like dibakar banerjee's  cinema the most - khosla, shanghai, short story in bombay talkies. love ayan's stories too minus brahmastra.

so many greats mentioned above and great movies. I enjoy hrishikesh mukherjee's movies a lot too - golmaal, anand etc

RiddlerPump thumbnail
IPL 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Clochette

I would have liked to watch Benegal's film about Bose but can't find it...and I've still his film "Well Done Abba" with Boman Irani on my watch list).

SB's Bose-the forgotten hero is available on YouTube for free

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 24 days ago

Thanks for the recommendation, Riddler smiley1

Unfortunately, the Shyam Benegal one is without English subtitles (although I can choose an English 'running translation'...ha ha ha) and with all 5 min an ad block (no!)... but looking for this movie I came across another one with subtitles - the Rajkummar one with Pulkit as director (he is a good director, too...made the RCE film Bhakshak and the thriller Maroon).

Edited by Clochette - 24 days ago
Maroonporsche thumbnail
Posted: 24 days ago

I dont know how to tell if they are Bengali.