Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Bollydolly thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 4 months ago

Looks like you have blocked me FreePalestine. smiley3
Anyway, if you have not watched the movie please do.

Edited by Bollydolly - 4 months ago
SakZ thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

It was stereotypical. The way she dresses, the way she speaks, no one really wear jasmine on their hair every day. Hindu girl-must be from Trivandrum, Christian - of ourse kottayam, muslim - malappuram or kozhikode. It was too much. I can understand why they speak hindi, but when she was speaking malayalam, I can’t understand why her malayalam was that pathetic. The title of the movie itself is problematic.

I wish I could list more.

its not that such things don’t happen, but its not a Kerala story. It can happen to any girl anywhere.

It was a propaganda movie where our supreme court had to intervene to put a disclaimer.

the most important thing, how people who don’t really know about my state, react after watching the movie. It was hurtful and disheartening. The movie didn’t educate anyone, it could only increase hatred against people against a community.

SakZ thumbnail

They showed about 32,000 girls in their trailer. They had to remove it and put a disclaimer due to supreme court. But that was enough to mislead people

Maroonporsche thumbnail

How was Adah ?

Bollydolly thumbnail

Adah is good!

Very good looking and has acted well.

Bollydolly thumbnail

I did not see the trailer but in the movie she says 30,000 girls but not specifically from Kerala.

I did not understand why people were hung up on the number. Basically they wanted to say that there are many many girls trapped in this. That is a fact not propaganda.

Bollydolly thumbnail

I am not sure how showing a Hindu from Thiruvananthapuram or Muslim from Mallapuram is stereotypical?

If they have a Kokanastha Brahmin character in a movie, showing he or she is from Sadashiv Peth in Pune will not be considered stereotypical. Most of them live or used to live there. That is just the reality.

As for the dressing, I think they just wanted to show a typical simple girl from a conservative Hindu family but one who does not know the basics of her own religion and can be easily swayed. You will come across many Hindus who are that way. Just a fact not an exaggeration.

If you have watched the movie you will know that Nima Matrhews is the only sane one out the four friends. Very stable and practical.

She is a Catholic and very secure and grounded in her beliefs unlike the other two who are confused and easily influenced by Asifa.

The protagonist also has no father. That is also an important aspect. Having only one parent also has a negative impact on people and can make them vulnerable to outside influences.

diasingh2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

I am happy that the film got made and highlighted some serious issues across the country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5eYnpYDzxo

I am as liberal as they come, but I am not blind. You cannot call it a "fictional" film and completely discard the film as "propaganda" film, when in reality that's how women are treated in Afghanistan/Taliban. We read about it in news on a daily basis.

https://www.voanews.com/a/taliban-warns-of-ban-on-female-media-appearance-without-dress-code-compliance/7509825.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-66633178

https://apnews.com/article/afghanistan-taliban-high-school-ban-girls-7046b3dbb76ca76d40343db6ba547556

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Radicalism is a huge problem and has ruined lives.

India has issues as well, but my god, it seems like a nightmare to live in those countries.

Edited by diasingh2 - 4 months ago
capricornrcks thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

When the female lead can't even pronounce her own name properly, it is meme worthy. The Malayalam dialogues are delivered terribly. It is mocked everywhere in Kerala for the ridiculous way it presents the propaganda. Hindu girls do not wear jasmine everywhere and that ridiculous costume belongs to the 80s. Less said about the introduction in the "green paddy fields" of Trivandrum of all places, the better.

Edited by capricornrcks - 4 months ago
SakZ thumbnail

Originally posted by: Bollydolly

I am not sure how showing a Hindu from Thiruvananthapuram or Muslim from Mallapuram is stereotypical?

If they have a Kokanastha Brahmin character in a movie, showing he or she is from Sadashiv Peth in Pune will not be considered stereotypical. Most of them live or used to live there. That is just the reality.

As for the dressing, I think they just wanted to show a typical simple girl from a conservative Hindu family but one who does not know the basics of her own religion and can be easily swayed. You will come across many Hindus who are that way. Just a fact not an exaggeration.

If you have watched the movie you will know that Nima Matrhews is the only sane one out the four friends. Very stable and practical.

She is a Catholic and very secure and grounded in her beliefs unlike the other two who are confused and easily influenced by Asifa.

The protagonist also has no father. That is also an important aspect. Having only one parent also has a negative impact on people and can make them vulnerable to outside influences.

I wish I could explain. But i am not very good at articulation. It feels like only malayalees or atleast people who lived in kerala can understand how stereotypical and meme worthy the movie is.

In bold - all these are problematic portrayal. I think you don’t understand how stereotypes works. you can educate yourself with that.

I think everyone after watching The kerala story should watch 2018 malayalam movie for better understanding how keralites lives.