Poll

What is your primary source of news?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 1 months ago

Multiple options allowed

Also, if you're responding, just mention the TV channels, newspapers.... if you selected those options.  No need to elaborate which social media accounts, although you can if you want to.  If there are certain people that you follow independent of platform, you can mention that as well eg Jaipur Dialogues,

Purpose of this poll: to get an idea of how many people still follow traditional news media sources, vs social media and other avenues

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

I checked every box since this is a broad question with many possible answers. For instance, I may watch news channels on YouTube. I may come across X posts on websites such as these forums. I may lookup Google’s News Archive for digitized versions of old newspapers.

My consumption of news also depends on the type of news. Not all news is reported in all newspapers or on TV channels. Hunter Biden’s laptop story was either not covered by leftist media or categorized as misinformation/disinformation. Media outlets have their own editorial policies, audience preferences, and agendas, which influence the selection and prioritization of news stories.

Geographic location also matters when deciding on the source for news coverage. Obviously, I can’t read about what’s happening in, say, Hyderabad, on international media outlets. Different news sources, even in India, focus on different aspects of current events.

Expecting journalistic standards regarding accuracy and impartiality is asking for a lot nowadays. Even Associated Press and Reuters are no exception.

NathuPaapi thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

X (Twitter) and news (TV + Newspaper).

But mostly X.

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: K.Universe.

I checked every box since this is a broad question with many possible answers. For instance, I may watch news channels on YouTube. I may come across X posts on websites such as these forums. I may lookup Google’s News Archive for digitized versions of old newspapers.

My consumption of news also depends on the type of news. Not all news is reported in all newspapers or on TV channels. Hunter Biden’s laptop story was either not covered by leftist media or categorized as misinformation/disinformation. Media outlets have their own editorial policies, audience preferences, and agendas, which influence the selection and prioritization of news stories.

Geographic location also matters when deciding on the source for news coverage. Obviously, I can’t read about what’s happening in, say, Hyderabad, on international media outlets. Different news sources, even in India, focus on different aspects of current events.

Expecting journalistic standards regarding accuracy and impartiality is asking for a lot nowadays. Even Associated Press and Reuters are no exception.

Thanks for the response.  I too checked multiple, although not all

Social Media & internet sites are what I primarily use.  X, YouTube & Rumble for Social Media, and OpIndia & JihadWatch for Internet.  Newspapers I didn't check at all.  I did check Radio since here in the US, I'm a Sirius XM subscriber & listen to the Patriot Channel, which is a Right Wing channel on Sirius XM satellite radio, as well as some music channels.  Advantage of this is that one gets the same stations no matter where one is in the country, unlike AM or FM.  TV channels, I don't usually watch them live, unless they are live streaming, such as Election results.  I also have KlowdTV, where I can watch selected Right Wing channels w/o subscribing to a TV service.  Dunno how it is in India, but in the US, when one subscribes to Comcast, DirecTV, Cox, Spectrum, et al, all the channels get a cut of the subscription, regardless of what one is watching

Word of mouth is rarely the way I first get the news

NimbuMirchi thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Mostly X(Twitter)

I don’t believe Main stream media. They hardly ever report truth. And I am not interested in someone’s opinion. 

K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: NimbuMirchi

Mostly X(Twitter)

I don’t believe Main stream media. They hardly ever report truth. And I am not interested in someone’s opinion. 

X/Twitter can be a useful tool for accessing news and updates but unless we critically evaluate and verify whatever has been posted on X/Twitter by cross-checking it with multiple "credible" sources, the accuracy and reliability of the information shared on X/Twitter platform is still suspect.

Which begs the question - what is a credible source.

As for truth, there will always be cases where the truth may remain elusive, never be fully known or subject to ongoing debate. In those cases, we just have to take a side depending on who we trust. There is very little in the present day world which is not politicized or biased.

Witchofthewest thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

I don’t believe Indian Media at all. I get everything from the internet where things can’t get manipulated enough.

Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

I had installed Inshorts app several years ago but the quality has deteriorated now.

X is one primary source where I get news updates from multiple media handles. However, I dont take everything at face value. Newspapers and TV channels come last. The latter seems interesting only for the election verdict coverage while the newspapers are for editorial articles.

Edited by Wistfulness - 1 months ago