NostalgiaLove thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 2 months ago

Agramahishi (Chief Queens) of first three Mauryan Emperors

Chandragupta Maurya - 

1- Ragyi Durdhara (Belonged to Mauryan lineage and according to Mahavansh Tika daughter of Chandragupta's eldest maternal uncle, possibly adopted to make her suitable for Agramahishi as she was a commoner).

2- Bhavishya Purana says daughter of a Yavana king Suluva who ruled over Paursa was his next Agramahishi (possibly he was a normal Satrap of one of the north western satrapies) 

Bindusara- 

1- Janpad Kalyani Subhadhrangi or Dharma (Only in one source, maybe for a brief time and then lost favour)

2- Mother of Sushima (her name and origins are not known)

Ashoka

1- Vedisha Devi or Mahadevi willingly didn't accept being Agramahishi but she had title of Mahadevi to give honour to her sacrifices and support for Ashok when he was just a prince and gave him two illustrious and well learned children.

2- Agramahishi Asandhimitra - She was barren so she adopted Charumati, daughter of Ashok born from a concubine. Charumati was Ashok's favourite daughter and she cared for Ashok in her last days. 

3- Agramahishi Tisyarakshita - An evil hearted lady who charmed Ashoka with her looks and dance. She saved Ashok from a disease so he made her Agramahishi. Some scholars calls Karuwaki and Tisyarakshita as same woman as both are called Dwitiya Devi. She blinded Kunala, Ashok's favourite son and crown prince.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BabyHimavari thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

From the movie version of Ashoka, only Devi and kaurvaki's name was knows to the creative of PA smiley14. I bet they doesn't even know about Asandhimitra being the most important or chief consort of Samrat Ashoka. But I don't regret that cause if they knew, they would have made her an in and out vamp just like rukaiya begum in JA which she was not smiley36 

NostalgiaLove thumbnail

Originally posted by: BabyHimavari

From the movie version of Ashoka, only Devi and kaurvaki's name was knows to the creative of PA smiley14. I bet they doesn't even know about Asandhimitra being the most important or chief consort of Samrat Ashoka. But I don't regret that cause if they knew, they would have made her an in and out vamp just like rukaiya begum in JA which she was not smiley36 

Asandhimitra was a pure soul and very loving towards Ashok despite his physical appearance. She had guts of steel to be in front of Ashok and staying alive for 30 years as his favourite and dearest consort. Just imagine the intelligence and grace of the lady 

BabyHimavari thumbnail

Originally posted by: NostalgiaLove

Asandhimitra was a pure soul and very loving towards Ashok despite his physical appearance. She had guts of steel to be in front of Ashok and staying alive for 30 years as his favourite and dearest consort. Just imagine the intelligence and grace of the lady 

As much as I came to know about Agramahisi Asandhimitra I deeply respect the lady and her qualities smiley27 Thats why I would never like to see the fictional portrayal of her as an evil queen for the sake of entertainment. Wish someday her characters will be presented on screen giving the required respect she deserve smiley27

NostalgiaLove thumbnail

As much as I came to know about Agramahisi Asandhimitra I deeply respect the lady and her qualities smiley27 Thats why I would never like to see the fictional portrayal of her as an evil queen for the sake of entertainment. Wish someday her characters will be presented on screen giving the required respect she deserve smiley27

Well hope so someday someone will be sane enough to make accurate portrayals of Mauryan queens, one day Nandini will not be loved wife, one day Durdhara will be given proper respect as CGM's childhood friend and will NOT be made Nanda's daughter, she was from Mauryan lineage not Nanda, One day there would be proper age gap between CGM-Helena and will be shown in positive light and without any unnecessary importance for the character, one day Devi will be hailed for her sacrifices and one day Asandhimitra will get her due as a beloved and dearest consort of Ashoka 😭💔

NostalgiaLove thumbnail

Makers have always been very partial towards a certain charcter, they don't have clarity who was Nanda's daughter and give Durdhara as different identities, sometimes daughter of a merchant, sometimes daughter of Nanda and one really stupid PH made her sister of Nanda. Idiots. Helena as usual is made an evil woman everytime, in all her life she was the real victim. Just imagine as a young girl a person is married off to a 35+ man of different culture, it's also NOT consented, the father was forced to surrender her, it's petrifying, it's different thing that CGM was such an amazing man, that dumb teen fell in love with him even though she was Just one of his wives for him who liked to chipkofy with him all the time. Asandhimitra is ed soulmate of Ashok and they had a previous life (punar janam) connection. Ashok loved the woman so much. When she died he tried to replace her with Tisyarakshita (possibly another name of Karuwaki) but he couldn't replace her and after punishing Tisyarakshita he died of a broken heart few years later. 

Edited by NostalgiaLove - 2 months ago
NostalgiaLove thumbnail

See how much he loved Asandhi and more than that he respected her 😭🤌Screenshot_20240207-220759.png

BabyHimavari thumbnail

See how much he loved Asandhi and more than that he respected her 😭🤌Screenshot_20240207-220759.png

I have listened to this stories beforesmiley27 In a way it hurts to see that not a single onscreen version even mentions of her but still the stupid PH would have turned her into an evil, narrow minded chief queen who is jealous of kaurwaki(they are already in way to make Devi one)... True to say if someone really want to include Samrat Ashoka's love interest then their first choice should be Asandhimitra. Ashok and Asandhimitra's relationship was not about love only... there was immense respect and undying loyalty... but i kindda knew that they would never be able to justify ashok-asandhimitra story... 

secondly, if not Asandhimitra they could have choosen to show Ashoka and Devi's story which actually have more significance and proper material. But they will keep her as only the jealous queen here

leave asandhimitra or Devi.. they cant even portray their fav kaurwaki properly...turned her a bhasan queen totally smiley29.... full of inaccuracy.. Just they took the name and ideas from previous screen version, never even bothered to research a little to know the truth...smiley29

Edited by BabyHimavari - 2 months ago
NostalgiaLove thumbnail

I have listened to this stories beforesmiley27 In a way it hurts to see that not a single onscreen version even mentions of her but still the stupid PH would have turned her into an evil, narrow minded chief queen who is jealous of kaurwaki(they are already in way to make Devi one)... True to say if someone really want to include Samrat Ashoka's love interest then their first choice should be Asandhimitra. Ashok and Asandhimitra's relationship was not about love only... there was immense respect and undying loyalty... but i kindda knew that they would never be able to justify ashok-asandhimitra story... 

secondly, if not Asandhimitra they could have choosen to show Ashoka and Devi's story which actually have more significance and proper material. But they will keep her as only the jealous queen here

leave asandhimitra or Devi.. they cant even portray their fav kaurwaki properly...turned her a bhasan queen totally smiley29.... full of inaccuracy.. Just they took the name and ideas from previous screen version, never even bothered to research a little to know the truth...smiley29

Karuwaki's character is open for creative liberty like Sushim's mom because next to nothing is known about her except that she was second wife and mother of Prince Tivala. In fact some scholars speculate she was Tisyarakshita and another batch of scholars say her residence was Kaushambi. No one says that she was from Kalinga. Absolutely no authentic source. If Ashok had married a princess of Kalinga, he would have mentioned it in his Inscription itself where he mentioned of his invasion on the region.  

BabyHimavari thumbnail

Karuwaki's character is open for creative liberty like Sushim's mom because next to nothing is known about her except that she was second wife and mother of Prince Tivala. In fact some scholars speculate she was Tisyarakshita and another batch of scholars say her residence was Kaushambi. No one says that she was from Kalinga. Absolutely no authentic source. If Ashok had married a princess of Kalinga, he would have mentioned it in his Inscription itself where he mentioned of his invasion on the region.  

thats the thing. whatever may be she was not princess of Kalinga. Though an unauthorized legend claims that she belongs to the fisherman community of kalinga area.. but definately not a princess. But in most of the version they are obsessed to make her princess of kalinga and how she changed Cruel Ashoka to the wise man where as the credit mostly goes to Asandhimitra and Devi!!. . smiley12...